facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 18, 2007, 02:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Fans attack Dhoni's house

Ranchi, Mar 18: Cricket fans, angry over the Indian team's loss to minnows Bangladesh in the World Cup, damaged wicketkeeper-batsman Mahendra Singh Dhoni's under-construction house in Ranchi.

Around two hundred fans under the banner of the Jharkhand Yuva Morcha (JYM) attacked the house in the Harmu housing colony. JYM is the youth wing of the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM), which is part of Jharkhand's ruling alliance.

The house was being built on 4,000 square feet of land, costing around Rs.5 million, gifted to the dashing player by former Jharkhand chief minister Arjun Munda.

The angry protesters burnt an effigy of the dashing player and shouted slogans "Dhoni Murdabad" (Down with Dhoni) and demanded that the land gifted to him be taken back.

"Dhoni's performance is getting from bad to worse. He seems to be concentrating only on advertisements instead of wicketkeeping and batting," said Ramesh Mahto, one of the protesters.

-Source
Old March 18, 2007, 02:59 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

I wonder what would happen if India too gets knocked out of the WC. The blame would obviously come on their defeat to us, and most likely result in danger to the Indian players.
Old March 18, 2007, 03:00 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Very common scenario of India and Pakistan's cricket...Shame.
No matter what the outcome of the WC by both teams...it should not be happen.
Old March 18, 2007, 03:10 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Typical Indian reaction.

They worship players in success and kick their a$$ in failure.
Old March 18, 2007, 06:23 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: All BD team players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Typical Indian reaction.

totally agree with you...
Old March 18, 2007, 06:36 PM
Cricket Sage

Angry Indian cricket fans

Khaisee Dhoni miar Dhon (I mean his house ) neye tana tani.
Old March 18, 2007, 10:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal

Angry Indian cricket fans

Mamu, go easy on me...heart attack hoye jete pare...
Old March 19, 2007, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
hahahaha...ei na holey fazal mamu
Old March 18, 2007, 06:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Typical Indian reaction.

Bangladesh will one day head that direction. Only reason we don't react strongly is because we are used to failures. If we lose to Bermuda (God forbid), then we shall have that kind of demonstration in no time or something similar.
Old March 18, 2007, 03:15 PM
Cricket Legend

I really don't understand this attitude. Can't they take cricket as a sports? Or they don't know what a sport is?? Really it's sorry that the people forget that whom they worship is nothing but a human player and deffinitely can have a bad day like they have good days.
Old March 18, 2007, 04:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

They just gotta stop taking things to the personal level. Every cricketer is trying to his best but sometimes the other team is just too good.
Old March 18, 2007, 04:22 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Jeez, Indians seriously need to CHILL OUT.
Old March 18, 2007, 04:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Oh please. Don't pretend it would have been any different in BD if we lost to Bermuda and Ashraful dropped 2 catches. We ARE a sensitive people.

I just hope Chappell doesn't die.
Old March 18, 2007, 04:46 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carte Blanche
Oh please. Don't pretend it would have been any different in BD if we lost to Bermuda and Ashraful dropped 2 catches. We ARE a sensitive people.

There is a gulf of difference between India, Bangladesh and Bermuda. Violence is still no way to react and we'd be no better than the Indians.
Old March 18, 2007, 04:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
There is a gulf of difference between India, Bangladesh and Bermuda. Violence is still no way to react and we'd be no better than the Indians.
Fully agreed, but that doesn't mean it is any less likely to happen given my proposed scenario. I'm not justifying the action. I'm merely against categorizing the reaction as "Indian". They don't have a monopoly over violence or stupidity. We're just as capable.
Old March 18, 2007, 05:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Considering the fact that no one tried to burn down Khaled Mashud's house or publicly harassed him or his family after he dropped so many catches against Kenya and led us in two shameful defeats against Kenya and Canada in 2003, I think Ash should not be overly worried about physical safety of himself, his family, or his property in the stated case. Although, I will be really mad at the whole Bangladesh team if we lose against Bermuda.
Old March 19, 2007, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Quote:

When Bangladesh lost Canada, we did no such thing.

When the WC 2003 probe report came out and it was clear the Pilot was to be blamed, again, we did no such thing.

Innocent until proven guilty
Old March 19, 2007, 09:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:

C_B,
did we do anything such violent after our loss to Canada in 2003 or when Masri gave 16 runs in a over.
we are much mature supporters as a group than the indians or pakistanies
Old March 18, 2007, 04:53 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Also, true. But let's hope it never comes to that.
Old March 18, 2007, 05:09 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Here's a related news

Quote:
Fans vent ire: Protests against Indian cricket team

Agencies Patna/Ranchi/Ahmedabad, Mar 18: The Indian cricket team's dismal performance against Bangladesh in its opening World Cup match spraked protests by cricket enthusiasts here today.
A protest march made its way through the busy Fraser Road and disgruntled fans burnt posters of some players, including Harbhajan Singh, Virender Sehwag, Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar. They also shouted slogans against the team.
Reports of protests also came in from other parts of the state capital.
India lost by five wickets to Bangladesh yesterday in one of their worst performances in the World Cup.
Irked by Team India's dismal performance in the ongoing cricket World Cup in the West Indies, fans in the city today staged protests and denounced the humuliating loss to minnows Bangladesh.
Burning effigies of captain Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag and even Sachin Tendulkar, the protestors shouted slogans against the team.
"They have betrayed the faith of the entire nation. Players like Sehwag should not be taken in the team," said an angry protestor, who joined others near the Gujarat College cross roads to demonstrate.
The protestors were, however, full of praise for Sourav Ganguly, who stood his ground and was the only one to cross 50 runs in the former champions's loss in the opening tie of the cricket's most prized tournament.
"Dada (Sourav) is the real champ. He was put down by the team management and many people. But given a chance he has risen to the occassion," said Hardik, another protestor.
Dhoni's effigy burnt
A group of people today burnt cricketer M S Dhoni's effigy near his under-construction house here to protest his performance in India's opening game in the World Cup against Bangladesh.
About two dozen people gathered near the house and set alight the effigy on which Dhoni's poster had been pasted. The jeering people shouted slogans and asked the government to take back the plot of land allotted to the player.
Dismissing the protest as a stray incident, Superintendent of Police (city) Richard Lakra said some people just shoved some bricks that were kept at the site for building the house.
"The house under construction is complete upto the plinth level," he said, adding police were keeping a watch near the site and at Dhoni's house at Mecon here.
Expressing displeasure at the incident, former Bihar Ranji Trophy skipper K V P Rao said cricket was after all a game.
"Real fans should support the team now, as it was only the first match and Team India has a good chance to advance in the World Cup," Rao said.
Another former international, Randhir Singh, observed that fans anywhere have high expectations from their favourite teams and like to watch them win always.
Saroj Kumar, a die-hard Dhoni fan, said the handful of people who joined the protest only wanted "cheap publicity".
Source
Old March 18, 2007, 05:11 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

And some more
Quote:
A shocked India reacts to the shame

It was the same old story. Over-hyped India lost to minnows Bangladesh in their opening match at the World Cup 2007... and had to pay a heavy price. Angry fans back home were ruthless in expressing their resentment and anger over the team’s dismal performance. Effigies were burnt, demonstrations held; protests went out of control. The superstars were reduced to paper tigers once again.
The same scene was repeated in neighbouring Pakistan where angry fans spared no one in their criticism, from players to selectors, and demanded that all those responsible be taught a lesson. The only happy lot were Bangladeshis, who started impromptu celebrations, praising their boys who proved once again that they are a force to reckon with.
Kanpur reacts
Hurt by Indian cricket team’s loss, fans took to the streets, burning effigies of the players and raising slogans against them. Cricket lovers assembled at Lal Banglaw area and torched the effigies of star players like Virender Sehwag, Mahendra Singh Dhoni among others. Skipper Rahul Dravid’ decision to bat first drew flak from the fans, who raised slogans against the team for their humiliating defeat.
Jalandhar jilted
Expressing disappointment over the poor performance of Indian cricket team fans held a protest march on Sunday and burnt posters of the players. Cricket lovers raised slogans against the national team. “Such a poor performance has broken our hearts, since we had organised havans for their success,” said a fan. “If they perform like this, there is no need to send the team,” said another fan.
Nashik sombre
The Sunday mood in the city was sombre after India lost to Bangladesh. “It was a shameful defeat. Bangladesh had defeated New Zealand in the trial match, we should have taken them seriously. It’s now time to think positive,” says a cricket fan. Deepak Odhekar a sports critic said: “The overconfidence of a strong batting line took its toll. Their coach Dav Whatmore deserves credit.”
Patna procession
Fans took out a procession on a donkey to vent their ire against Team India. Organised under the aegis of ‘Cricket Fans Club’, the donkeys named Sehwag, Tendulakar, Harbhajan and Kumble were made to move around Kadamkuan and Patna College with slogan shouting youth following them. It was the same group of people who had performed a ‘Mahayagna’ to ensure a victory for the team.
Allahabad angry
Angry over India’s defeat, fans demonstrated, demanding removal of opener Virender Sehwag and inclusion of local hero Mohammed Kaif. They lambasted the Indian team for its “shameful defeat against minnows.” The fans said the absence of Kaif badly affected the team and demanded immediate recall of the player, who had impressed all with his batting and fielding in World Cup 2003.
T’puram trauma
Even though crazy about football, fans here were harsh on Team India after their defeat. “There were a few like me who have been anticipating this defeat. It serves India right. We were hyped and we underestimated the opponent. It’s time we get our act together and play as a team rather than worship individual heroes who fail on a good pitch against a weak team,” said Ajeesh Shankar.
Chandigarh sad
Cricketer Yuvraj's native place was a picture of desolation. Fans would assemble in front of his house and dance to drum beat if India, particularly Yuvraj, would perform well. “We have been overrating our team as if their market value decide their performances,” wondered a Punjab professor Satya Pal Sehgal. He also blamed the media for glamorising the team overlooking its flaws.
Bangalore quiet
Fearing that rage of the fans might turn violent in Bangalore, the police have provided protection for Indian cricket team captain Rahul Dravid’s house. “There were incidents in the past where crazy fans have attacked Dravid’s hosue. Hence as a precautionary measure we have deployed policemen near his home,” said deputy commissioner of police (East Division) B K Singh.

Source
Old March 18, 2007, 05:13 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

How are the Pakistani fans reacting back home?
Old March 18, 2007, 05:20 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatebreed
How are the Pakistani fans reacting back home?
here's an example from CricketWorld

Quote:
Pakistanis Protest And Burn Effigies After Ireland Loss

18 March 2007

Pakistanis Protest And Burn Effigies After Ireland Loss
Pakistan's captain Inzamam-ul-Haq (L) and team mate Mohammad Sami walk off the field after play was suspended due to bad light during their World Cup cricket match against Ireland in Kingston March 17, 2007.
©REUTERS/Andy Clark (JAMAICA) Picture Supplied by Action Images

Angry Pakistani cricket fans took to the streets in protest and burned effigies of players on Sunday, hours after the side's shock defeat to Ireland in the Caribbean put the 1992 champions out of the World Cup.

Private television channels were flooded with e-mails and calls from angry fans, who wanted the team and the PCB to be held accountable for bringing shame on the country.

Many of them pleaded emotionally for the government to withdraw all awards given to the players and management and freeze their bank accounts.

"That is the least they can do for the shame and disgrace they have brought upon us. They must be made to pay for their spineless performance," one protester, Yasir Ali, said in Multan.

Most Pakistanis have a passionate and emotional bond with cricket and the sport receives massive media exposure in a nation of 160 million people.

SPECIAL PROGRAMMES

Television channels, radio stations have signed on leading players for their expert comments and planned to run special cricket programmes during the World Cup.

Big companies also launched World Cup campaigns to coincide with the tournament, with special advertisements urging the players to do well.

"Pakistan's exit means a big loss of revenue for all those who have invested in the World Cup," Sarmad Ali, marketing head of the country's largest media group, told Reuters.

"With Pakistan now out, interest in the tournament will fall dramatically and that means financial losses for everyone," he added.

Chief selector Wasim Bari, who is also under fire, said he had not slept all night and was in a daze after the Ireland match.

"This is a hugely disappointing result. I am shocked. I still can't believe we lost to Ireland," Bari said.

He said that after things became normal in a few days, there would be changes in the team for sure.

Cricket board officials declined to make comments, but one of them admitted privately the backlash from Pakistan's poor performance would be huge.

"We are expecting a lot of reaction. To go out of the World Cup by losing to Ireland... no one will tolerate," he said.
Old March 18, 2007, 05:14 PM
Cricket Legend

The most sane reaction-

Quote:
"We have been overrating our team as if their market value decide their performances,” wondered a Punjab professor Satya Pal Sehgal. He also blamed the media for glamorising the team overlooking its flaws.
Old March 18, 2007, 05:16 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Well India is a big country with huge population that almost worships their cricketers. It's no surprise there are so many mixed reactions.