facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 17, 2010, 07:04 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva
Default Is Ian Pont the best bowling coach in the world?

As a UK Bangla, I am so proud!!! We are all rejoicing. The change in the team is visible and the fast bowlers are having far more control and understanding of what they are doing. I have NEVER seen this before. They have great yorkers, more swing and bowl good lengths with slower balls.

I know he has only been over there 4 weeks and has hardly had time to unpack his kit. But is Ian Pont the new bowling coach simply the best bowling coach in the world?

Old October 17, 2010, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

No, there are plenty more who are equally good or even better. Troy Cooley for instance.
Old October 17, 2010, 07:51 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

he may not be the best but he is one of the better ones.

still needs to a lot of more work with some of the main and reserve bowlers and also perhaps with some local bowling coaches. also needs to improve the test match bowling qualities of these players
Old October 17, 2010, 08:13 PM
Banned

But Cooley and others have had great bowlers already to work with. Pont has had to get our bowlers up to compete with a side ranked 4 levels above and prove it.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW103
As a UK Bangla, I am so proud!!! We are all rejoicing. The change in the team is visible and the fast bowlers are having far more control and understanding of what they are doing. I have NEVER seen this before. They have great yorkers, more swing and bowl good lengths with slower balls.

I know he has only been over there 4 weeks and has hardly had time to unpack his kit. But is Ian Pont the new bowling coach simply the best bowling coach in the world?
Whats a UK Bangla ?

He's probably not the best bowling coach in the world, but he's seems like a good one.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:17 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

He has definitely had some impact. Rubel started bowling economical since this series

How many other bowling coaches in the world do you know that can bring drastic changes in a national team's bowling policy within a very limited amount of time and have such a positive impact?

a lot of credit should go to him
Old October 17, 2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mashrafe,Shak,Aftab,Tamim

I need to see Pont is doing pace bowling camp with bowlers ( Shafiul, Rubel, Shahadat, Rasel, Dolar ) for a month before the Zimbabwe series. Shafiul and Rubel certainly has the potential to become geniune fast bowlers by the help of Pont's coaching.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Ok, declaring Pont the best because of one good series is way too drastic. I will agree that he definitely brought a huge positive change to Rubel. I was always a big Rubel fan even when many others criticized him. I always felt that he had something special, something that I haven't seen in any Bangladeshi pacer. I just hope Pont can keep up the good work and make Rubel better and better. I'd also love it if Rubel could bowl with the line and length he had bowled this series and bowled at around 140 kph. That would be fantastic.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:36 PM
Test Cricketer

If you asked your question like this:

Is Ian Pont the best bowling coach BD had so far?

I would say most definitely yes. You have to understand that Pont is a level 4 coach who specializes in bowling coaching.

The reason that we are seeing so much improvement in such a short time because I think while our BD ballers are decent pace-men; they lacked in correct fundamentals (Pont made a comment about this on facebook in reply to an image of Rubel balling). I think at international level there are not much whole some improvement you can do, small subtle changes adds up in to huge improvement. I think Pont is making those small changes and making the right calls.

If pont was working with Aussie or England team, we wouldn't notice much improvement, because most of them are already decent in their fundamentals and you can only get so much better.

So I would say Pont is the best coach for teams who are lacking in fundamentals (ie, BD, Zim, NZ, WI).

I would go as far as saying that if JS leaves after WC, Pont should get the job of the head coach and we should get a separate batting coach to replace JS.
Old October 17, 2010, 08:43 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: tamim

good topic welldone
Old October 17, 2010, 09:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Uff.....
Old October 17, 2010, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanArafath
I need to see Pont is doing pace bowling camp with bowlers ( Shafiul, Rubel, Shahadat, Rasel, Dolar ) for a month before the Zimbabwe series. Shafiul and Rubel certainly has the potential to become geniune fast bowlers by the help of Pont's coaching.
Don't the players all go off now to play National league or something? Not sure Pont will be given the bowlers to work with.
Old October 17, 2010, 09:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

How many bowling coaches have you seen before declaring Ian Pont as "THE BEST BOWLING COACH IN THE WORLD" ???

No doubt, Pont has some positive effect on our boys and that is why he has been hired before WC. BCB should negotiate with him to retain for longer period to have ever lasting effect on our pacers otherwise, our pacers will lose the edge again.
Old October 17, 2010, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycpro96
Ok, declaring Pont the best because of one good series is way too drastic. I will agree that he definitely brought a huge positive change to Rubel. I was always a big Rubel fan even when many others criticized him. I always felt that he had something special, something that I haven't seen in any Bangladeshi pacer. I just hope Pont can keep up the good work and make Rubel better and better. I'd also love it if Rubel could bowl with the line and length he had bowled this series and bowled at around 140 kph. That would be fantastic.
It wasn't based on one series I mentioned it. He coached Dale Steyn when he was wild and inaccurate, and helped Darren Gough to extend his career in England by 4 years with some action changes. I have seen his website and there are lots of bowlers talking about Pont. He even once worked with Shoaib Akthar! This series has proved that something is going on with the fast bowlers that we now have the ability to control the ball and temperaments better.

All I am saying is it is a blessing we did not get Klusener. Pont is the best DEVELOPMENT coach in the world then if you agree with me. He develops bowlers far better than anyone else and this is what I meant.
Old September 29, 2011, 03:31 AM
Banned

Have the bowlers got worse since he left? Could we bring back Champaka perhaps?
Old September 29, 2011, 04:08 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

No Champa, jorina, bobita, kobori, shabana or popi.

And the Prasad will not suit our stomach, but we will eat it anyway.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old September 29, 2011, 04:39 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: many ..

it does not matter who is the best coach u can go and take tips form many coaches but u need to know what work's best for you in terms of action run up swing delivery etc.. u need to find out what works best for you ,you have to find your own rhythm no coach can help you if u don't practice with dedication .
Old September 29, 2011, 05:02 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Any1 who gives his best

Nope

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old September 29, 2011, 09:04 AM
ODI Cricketer

He is very good but I don't believe in the theory that he changed everything in few months but just as he left the bowlers magically became good. But I do think he will be a good choice for the bowling coach position.
Old September 29, 2011, 09:06 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max410
it does not matter who is the best coach u can go and take tips form many coaches but u need to know what work's best for you in terms of action run up swing delivery etc.. u need to find out what works best for you ,you have to find your own rhythm no coach can help you if u don't practice with dedication .
if the player himself is not dedicated enough then no coach in the world can help you.
Old September 29, 2011, 10:29 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Indians

Yes he is but wish bd still had him!
Old September 29, 2011, 01:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

how many coaches do u guys know here to compare?
Old September 29, 2011, 04:23 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

I don't whether he is the best, but he definitely is one of the best.
Old September 29, 2011, 04:59 PM
Banned

I was guided by the search for "World's Best Bowling Coach" to see who came up mentioned more than anyone on Google, which is independent: http://www.google.co.uk/search?clien...w=1435&bih=763

The list of names of the greatest fast bowling coaches always seem include Ian Pont, Dennis Lillee and Troy Cooley. Only Pont works with world class players and young players. Lillee and Cooley only seem to work with established players already. I don't know if this makes a difference. People pay to see Pont privately, but not with Cooley or Lillee. I am not sure what the determining factor is for deciding who is the best coach to be honest but I feel Pont is the most creative and progressive. He is the only one who has written a technical book on the subject and coaches speed as well as accuracy. Cooley talks much about injury preventing. Lillee is old now.
Old September 29, 2011, 05:27 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW103
I was guided by the search for "World's Best Bowling Coach" to see who came up mentioned more than anyone on Google, which is independent: http://www.google.co.uk/search?clien...w=1435&bih=763

The list of names of the greatest fast bowling coaches always seem include Ian Pont, Dennis Lillee and Troy Cooley. Only Pont works with world class players and young players. Lillee and Cooley only seem to work with established players already. I don't know if this makes a difference. People pay to see Pont privately, but not with Cooley or Lillee. I am not sure what the determining factor is for deciding who is the best coach to be honest but I feel Pont is the most creative and progressive. He is the only one who has written a technical book on the subject and coaches speed as well as accuracy. Cooley talks much about injury preventing. Lillee is old now.
I always thought Lillee was only a coach because he was a great bowler, he coached many indian bowlers and they have yet to produce a fast bowler