facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 27, 2011, 05:23 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tendulkar

coach i liked the fact that you showed that video to our cricketers before england's match to motivate them, i think we have to quality, but we lack confidence, i would like to see you motivate the bowlers as long as you stay with them, we are a passionate country, our history speaks for itself. like you showed to the boys in that video, back in 1971 we defeated pakistan and at that time they were very powerful but but shakmujiber rahman did the wonder by motivating us and we took the war to pakistan, with all my heart i do believe that we just need a coach who can make it happen, speak to the boys, i do believe that most of them do not really play with heart, if someone can just turn that switch on somehow the whole world will see what bangladesh can do, i know it will happen someday, but how long we will have to wait to see that, is the biggest question.....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
I think affan has a point.

You wouldn't want to be flown in a plane by a pilot who has never flown the plane before even though he is qualified. Or have a country run by a Prime Minister who had never done that job before. I don't want soldiers defending me who had never fought in a war before. I don't want businesses run by people who are start-ups. Who wants to select national cricketers who have never played at that level before?

It all makes perfect sense doesn't it? Hmmmmm.

India did take a massive 'risk' (given your criteria affan) on Gary Kirsten as he had never been head coach of a team before. But Gary, like the rest of us with the Head Coach qualification certificate, has trained for the role. And like the pilot, you have to be able to satisfy strict criteria that you can do that job before they issue you with the new Head Coach coaching badge.

Some of us hold the award and the qualifications to do the job but never seek it. If you are questioning someone's ability to do the job that's why we have these qualifications to satisfy that argument. Whether everyone wants to be a head coach is of course another matter.

Old March 27, 2011, 05:31 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tendulkar

Old March 27, 2011, 11:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubho
"We need Level 3 qualified coaches who will teach our national team players the basics of batting/bowling/fielding/peeing/pooping"...blah blah blah... I've seen this movie before.

The worst part of it is, we will install a new head coach and s/he will say we need another doggone five years to bring the team up to snuff. I've been following Bangladesh cricket for well over 20 years now and I'm getting tired of this garbage.

Yes, we do need qualified coaches. But what I would really love to see are coaches with a "can do" attitude that will instill belief in our players, encourage them to go out and play for a win in every match, and give them the tactical know-how to take opponents apart.

In Bangladesh, we are well-known for our excuse culture. But foreign coaches are no less culpable when it comes to excuses. I have heard the same bloody arguments for the past 20 years...that our boys don't know the basics. What the hell! Our infrastructure might not be perfect, but it is a hell of a lot better than it was even 5 years ago. We have players coming through the various age-group selections and none of them know the basics? I don't buy that BS.

Enough already. For the love of God, get us a coach who will deliver with the players he's got. Not hide behind the lack-of-infrastructure, lack-of-knowledge-of-cricket-basics, lack-of-experience arguments.

Qualified coaches are a dime a dozen...I want coaches who believe in winning and will do anything humanly possible to win every game we play. I don't care if that coach happens to be Jamie, Ian, Julien, Kuddus, Solimuddin or Jharumiah.
This story belongs to BD cricket and will remain with them wheather as history or alive. All the talking is to put it into history. We aren't there yet.

When it comes to basics; it's one thing to learn a shot from book and practice it in the nets or against low skilled bowlers. It altogether different issue to face the most skilled bowlers at the highest level and emulate that shot on ground. A lots of Adjustment and skills are necessary to be successful against these bowlers. Because you have got to relearn to execute that shot against the best bowlers and in different pitch conditions. That's pretty much basic at this level.

Qualified coaches and capable coaches are two different thing. A coach must have winning attitude. But the players must be sincere and honest to accept the hard work that's necessary for his improvement.

But I cannot accept the coach rigidly sticking to a team for three years and then saying that the players are not sincere. What the hell, why didnt you sellect people who are sincere? So that's the example of a qualified but incapable coach. Just any qualified coach isn't enough.

A coach who accepts the challenge of winning under every circumstance, is the person we need. Because then you won't be fixing poor benchmarks for improvement. When JS said, "If anyone thinks of winning against G8, he is a fool - After 2007 WC" we should have understood this man. This attitude allowed him to work on petty benchmarks like individual improvements at the cost of giving up their attitude to win as a team. As a result we see consecutive 58/78 scores. A team where 2 persons play and the rest keeps doing 'zee huzur' and remain like banana trees in the team, what else do you expect? And why only Tameem and Shakib, the entire playing 11 will vouch for keeping JS, because that suits them for being in the team and be Capt/VC and enjoy another 2/4 years.

That's why all these, we need the right person, not just any qualified person, who will be more professional than JS. We need a much more honest person, who will seek genuine improvement.

Last edited by BANFAN; March 28, 2011 at 02:40 AM..
Old March 27, 2011, 11:56 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubho
"We need Level 3 qualified coaches who will teach our national team players the basics of batting/bowling/fielding/peeing/pooping"...blah blah blah... I've seen this movie before.

The worst part of it is, we will install a new head coach and s/he will say we need another doggone five years to bring the team up to snuff. I've been following Bangladesh cricket for well over 20 years now and I'm getting tired of this garbage.

Yes, we do need qualified coaches. But what I would really love to see are coaches with a "can do" attitude that will instill belief in our players, encourage them to go out and play for a win in every match, and give them the tactical know-how to take opponents apart.

In Bangladesh, we are well-known for our excuse culture. But foreign coaches are no less culpable when it comes to excuses. I have heard the same bloody arguments for the past 20 years...that our boys don't know the basics. What the hell! Our infrastructure might not be perfect, but it is a hell of a lot better than it was even 5 years ago. We have players coming through the various age-group selections and none of them know the basics? I don't buy that BS.

Enough already. For the love of God, get us a coach who will deliver with the players he's got. Not hide behind the lack-of-infrastructure, lack-of-knowledge-of-cricket-basics, lack-of-experience arguments.

Qualified coaches are a dime a dozen...I want coaches who believe in winning and will do anything humanly possible to win every game we play. I don't care if that coach happens to be Jamie, Ian, Julien, Kuddus, Solimuddin or Jharumiah.
Well said. That's why I think Fountain should take the charge (with Pont on his side).
Old March 27, 2011, 11:59 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

After giving this a lot of thought, I have got to go with Saurav Ganguly. Communication in Bangla is essential to learning and inspiration.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old March 27, 2011, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Well said. That's why I think Fountain should take the charge (with Pont on his side).
Both Ian and Julien have spoken out about the excuse culture as being a major impediment. I am curious as to your preference for Fountain over Pont.
Old March 28, 2011, 12:02 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Both Ian and Julien have spoken out about the excuse culture as being a major impediment. I am curious as to your preference for Fountain over Pont.
He has more experience working with players in all three departments. And what I am hearing from media, he is more willing to put up with the bs of the BCB.

Also, did not Ian say he will prefer to be the game development manager or something of that sort? ie to work with local coaches to groom players next in pipeline?
Old March 28, 2011, 12:35 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

If only language is the barrier why can't we choose a player in the squad or among the officials who is good at English or whatever language the coach will speak. Seriously how much trouble Bulbul has teaching Cricket in China.

Get a good coach who carry strategy, plan and vision along with good track records, not necessarily a great player.
Old March 28, 2011, 01:03 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
If only language is the barrier why can't we choose a player in the squad or among the officials who is good at English or whatever language the coach will speak. Seriously how much trouble Bulbul has teaching Cricket in China.
To my understanding, Bulbul does not directly coach players, he trains local coaches and supervises them when they coach.

IMO, we will do better under a coach who will take a similar approach employing some Bangladesh coaches under him to do the task.
Old March 28, 2011, 01:14 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
To my understanding, Bulbul does not directly coach players, he trains local coaches and supervises them when they coach.

IMO, we will do better under a coach who will take a similar approach employing some Bangladesh coaches under him to do the task.
Ehsan, I agree with you about Bulbul and would love to see him and Salahuddin involved at some point. Unlike Nannu Bhai and some of the other local coaches incapable of rectifying our technical problems at the NCL level, those monumental egos get in the way, I think they'll do great. I have hopes for Pilot becoming a good coach also someday.

Combination of the communication and inspiration gap is a major issue as demonstrated repeated by our guys in the middle. Still can't rotate the strike while blocking half-volleys and full-tosses, committing the front foot too early, playing with a tight bottom hand, premeditatingly sweeping by the number and throwing their wickets away etc, the list goes on. Most of our guys, obviously with way better natural ability than the murubbi-matobbors used to struggling badly against Hong Kong and Denmark, come from rural and semi rural Bangladesh, and don't have a solid foundation is Bangla. Riyad is an exception, as is the near-illiterate Motin.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old March 28, 2011, 02:29 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

Quote:
I feel it is imperative for any Head Coach to at least have played professional cricket. I couldn't find anything in cricinfo about Fountain's first-class career http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...er/442122.html

To gain the respect of the players at this level a coach needs knowledge of the professional aspect of being a cricketer and their mind set. It doesn't make it impossible but it is a very large hole in a coach's understanding if they have never even taken the field as a player.
Old March 28, 2011, 02:50 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

What would the TOR of our Head Coach post contain? I kind of imagined it would have the following points:
1. 5 years Experience in Playing Professional Cricket
2. Level 3 certificate as a Coach
3. Immune to deshi politics and culture
4. Past Experience of Coaching National Sides [associate sides would do as well]
5. Clear vision of how he wants to develop our cricket team and where he wants to see us in 4 years.
Old March 28, 2011, 03:01 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
What would the TOR of our Head Coach post contain? I kind of imagined it would have the following points:
1. 5 years Experience in Playing Professional Cricket
2. Level 3 certificate as a Coach
3. Immune to deshi politics and culture
4. Past Experience of Coaching National Sides [associate sides would do as well]
5. Clear vision of how he wants to develop our cricket team and where he wants to see us in 4 years.
1. 5 years Experience in Playing Professional Cricket (or at least have BEEN a pro)
2. Level 3 certificate as a Coach (agreed, preferred ECB, ACB or Head Coach certificate)
3. Immune to deshi politics and culture (or being able to work with it)
4. Past Experience of Coaching National Sides [associate sides would do as well] (agreed although current country head coaches Waqar, Kirsten, Flower, Nielsen, were appointed without your criteria)
5. Clear vision of how he wants to develop our cricket team and where he wants to see us in 4 years. (agreed, but we just had one and it didn't work)

Last edited by LBW103; March 28, 2011 at 03:07 AM..
Old March 28, 2011, 04:04 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Whoever the new coach maybe, one thing is for sure that He will have a good platform to start working on. We already have a settled Pace attack comprising of Shafiul, Rubel and the experienced Mashrafi. We also have good reserves in Shahadat, Nazmul and Rasel who can all do a decent job if required. The spin bowling can be lead by Razzak and Shakib for years and perhaps we can look for a leg spinners or a quality offspinner (NOT NAEEM Please!, i mean with variations).
On the batting front we have settled openners now in Imrul and Tamim... so the focus should be the middle order... we need to find atleast two batsman capable of handling quality pace and good enough to go down the track to the spinners... somebody not too flashy like Trott would do as well...
Old March 28, 2011, 06:36 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: many ..

well too bad oru players are learning their basics when they come to national team not when they are in school level or juniour level which is bad sign for the future of our cricket due to lack for good basics we still have bad habbits which has shown in out national team side when they play against big teams .
This problem will be sovled by school level coaching which is mandatory in sri lanka we can do it as well.