facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 9, 2012, 03:20 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
But miracle IS অলৌকিক. Can you come up with an example where we can't use অলৌকিক for miracle? Does অসামান্য work?
Samsad doesn't define অলৌকিক to mean miracle. It is more close to "superhuman" ability or "supernatural" activity. It can be used for "alien" activities, which is not applicable for "miracle"

The word miracle is more close to "divine intervention". It never renders itself to mean superhuman or extra-terrestrial activity.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.

Old March 9, 2012, 06:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
Samsad doesn't define অলৌকিক to mean miracle. It is more close to "superhuman" ability or "supernatural" activity. It can be used for "alien" activities, which is not applicable for "miracle"

The word miracle is more close to "divine intervention". It never renders itself to mean superhuman or extra-terrestrial activity.
স্বর্গীয় হস্তক্ষেপ

There it is.
Old March 9, 2012, 06:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Also অলৌকিক is a বিশেষণ (adjective). Couldn't figure out what it's বিশেষ্য (noun) form is.
Old March 9, 2012, 06:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
Serious: গুরুত্বপূর্ণ?

Works for: this is a serious matter.

But not for: I am being serious here.
Old March 9, 2012, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Divine intervention != miracle. A thunderbolt that fries your behind for blasphemy is divine intervention and would not be considered a miracle unless the bolt targeted Lotus Kamal or our two unladylike lady leaders. And also, 2 != 1.

PS. Perhaps I should extract this chain started by Nasif into a new thread. Very interesting and does not need to be associated with Banglish.
Old March 9, 2012, 06:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purbasha T
Also অলৌকিক is a বিশেষণ (adjective). Couldn't figure out what it's বিশেষ্য (noun) form is.
Apparently, there does exist a word in the form of লৌকিকতা (meaning: formality, ceremoniousness.. as suggested by Google dict.) but no অলৌকিকতা

Errr...I give up!
Old March 9, 2012, 07:27 PM
Banned

Stupid decision. Has Bengali been spoken the same way for 1000 year? No. Languages should change with changing times. Most importantly it is impossible for the court to do anything. Like it or not English is the medium of business and if you do not know English you are not going to succeed in corporate world. Frequent use of English is going to result in Banglish. Only solution to stop this is to change Bangladesh to North Korea

Btw these kind of language saving techniques have been tried in the past in Tamil Nadu. They even conducted a world Tamil conference Tanglish has however entered mainstream and it is very hard to find anyone including uneducated people not using it.
Old March 9, 2012, 07:28 PM
Cricket Savant

You have to think slightly 'around the corner' so to speak. This may help:

http://www.spokensanskrit.de/index.p...e&direction=ES

And Doc, stop ducking. Please hand me my win on platter...you know it's there. :p
Old March 9, 2012, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
You have to think slightly 'around the corner' so to speak. This may help:

http://www.spokensanskrit.de/index.p...e&direction=ES

And Doc, stop ducking. Please hand me my win on platter...you know it's there. :p
Just because Bengali had Sanskrit (Prakrit) roots, does not mean that a Sanskrit word has the same meaning in Bengali. Now go through the list again and tell me which one connotes a miracle in Bengali. Even prAtihArya is more magical or jugglery. Sorry, only thing on the platter will be your head.
Old March 9, 2012, 07:44 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Just because Bengali had Sanskrit (Prakrit) roots, does not mean that a Sanskrit word has the same meaning in Bengali. Now go through the list again and tell me which one connotes a miracle in Bengali. Even prAtihArya is more magical or jugglery. Sorry, only thing on the platter will be your head.
Just for argument's sake, I said it will "Help" not it's the answer. Also, I referred to the game re: win. Sheesh.
Old March 9, 2012, 08:45 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Divine intervention != miracle. A thunderbolt that fries your behind for blasphemy is divine intervention and would not be considered a miracle unless the bolt targeted Lotus Kamal or our two unladylike lady leaders. And also, 2 != 1.

PS. Perhaps I should extract this chain started by Nasif into a new thread. Very interesting and does not need to be associated with Banglish.
True. I didnt think of the negative part. Miracle is always positive. Lota under a bolt would be real miracle.

Hindi has a word for miracle, chamatkar.

In bangla we use chamatkar as fantastic, marvelous etc. it's a Sanskrit word I guess, ended up to mean two different things in Hindi and bangla.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.