facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old March 14, 2012, 10:48 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman
Default UN maritime tribunal rules in favour of Bangladesh

http://bdnews24.com/details.php?cid=2&id=220286&hb=top
Quote:
In a historic victory at the UN maritime tribunal, Bangladesh has won territorial and economic rights to the vast Bay of Bengal resources even beyond it bargained for.

"We've got all we wanted," an elated foreign minister told bdnews24.com on Wednesday by phone from Hamburg, Germany, where the International Tribunal for Law of the Seas (ITLOS) is based.

Dr Dipu Moni said Bangladesh got more than it claimed in its long-running dispute with Myanmar.

"Bangladesh claimed 107,000 square kilometres while it got 111,000 square kilometers area in the Bay of Bengal," she said.

"The court has given equitable solution on equidistance basis," she said, immediately after the verdict.

The President of the Tribunal, Jose Luis Jesus of Cape Verde, read the judgment in the Hamburg courtroom.

"The judgment is final and without appeal," a foreign ministry statement said.

"The court also gave St Martin's a full effect," the foreign minister said.

"The full effect means Bangladesh has the territorial and economic rights surrounding the island up to 200 nautical miles toward continental shelf in an angle of 215 degrees," an official explained.

"The ITLOS ruling, by a vote of 21 to 1, brings to a conclusion the case initiated by Bangladesh against Myanmar in December 2009, to resolve a longstanding dispute with regard to the maritime boundary in the oil-and-gas rich Bay," says a statement from the foreign ministry in Dhaka.

"The court sustained Bangladesh's claims to a full 200-mile exclusive economic zone in the Bay of Bengal, and to a substantial share of the outer continental shelf beyond 200 miles.

"All of our strategic objectives have been achieved," the foreign minister said.

"Bangladesh's full access to the high seas out to 200 miles and beyond is now recognised and guaranteed, as are our undisputed rights to the fish in our waters and the natural resources beneath our seabed."

The Tribunal also awarded Bangladesh a full 12-mile territorial sea around St. Martin's Island, rejecting Myanmar's argument that it should be cut in half.

A similar dispute with India is awaiting resolution at the UN court, and a verdict is due in 2014.

The energy-starved Bangladesh's exploration for petroleum and natural gas in the Bay of Bengal, long delayed by conflicting boundary claims, can now proceed, Dipu Moni said.

"Today's ruling constitutes the equitable solution that Bangladesh has long desired, but was unable to obtain during 38 years of diplomatic stalemate preceding the lawsuit."

The minister also paid tribute to Myanmar. "… it is a victory for both states because it finally resolves – peacefully and according to international law.

"We salute Myanmar for its willingness to resolve this matter by legal means and for its acceptance of the tribunal's judgment.

"We are very pleased with the expertise, fairness and efficiency of ITLOS and its judges," said the foreign minister.

"The case was resolved, from beginning to end, in a little over two years. This is unprecedented for judicial efficiency in a maritime boundary case."

Myanmar had claimed that its maritime boundary with Bangladesh cut directly across the Bangladesh coastline, severely truncating Bangladesh's maritime jurisdiction to a narrow wedge of sea not extending beyond 130 miles.

Myanmar also claimed that the tribunal lacked jurisdiction to award continental shelf rights beyond 200 miles from either State's coast.

The tribunal rejected both of these arguments.

The International Tribunal was established by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea to adjudicate disputes between States concerning issues covered by the Convention, including the delimitation of maritime boundaries.

The 151-page judgment is the first by any court or tribunal to delimit the maritime area beyond 200 miles, known as the "outer continental shelf", and is certain to establish an important precedent in that regard.

As the Agent of Bangladesh in the proceedings, the foreign minister presided over a legal team, including the deputy agent, Mohammad Khurshed Alam; as well as attorneys James Crawford, Philippe Sands and Alan Boyle of the United Kingdom, Paul Reichler and Lawrence Martin of the United States; and Payam Akhavan of Canada.

Myanmar was represented by its agent, attorney general Tun Shin. Its counsel included Alain Pellet and Mathias Forteau of France, Sir Michael Wood of the United Kingdom, and Coalter Lathrop of the United States.
Kudos to Dipu Moni and her team. Hope we get a similar verdict against India in 2014.

Old March 14, 2012, 11:03 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Good job by the Foreign Ministry. That's a lot of naval territory. What should we do with all these water? If they had an island, we could have built some resort or vacation places.
Old March 14, 2012, 11:07 AM
Cricket Legend

A good decision, but I'm a little confused by this quote from Dipu Moni:

Quote:
"Bangladesh claimed 107,000 square kilometres while it got 111,000 square kilometers area in the Bay of Bengal," she said.
The map shows that we certainly are not restricted to the curtailed territorial waters proposed by Myanmar (red dashed lines; and reason for congratulations and felicitations all around) but it looks less that what we (Bangladesh) had proposed (green dashed line; compare with the UN decision outlined in black).

Could someone a little more familiar with these issues explain or elaborate?
Old March 14, 2012, 11:19 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
A good decision, but I'm a little confused by this quote from Dipu Moni:

The map shows that we certainly are not restricted to the curtailed territorial waters proposed by Myanmar (red dashed lines; and reason for congratulations and felicitations all around) but it looks less that what we (Bangladesh) had proposed (green dashed line; compare with the UN decision outlined in black).

Could someone a little more familiar with these issues explain or elaborate?
That puzzled me too. The map doesn't support her claim. Possibly she mixed the two numbers up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Good job by the Foreign Ministry. That's a lot of naval territory. What should we do with all these water? If they had an island, we could have built some resort or vacation places.
It will be used for gas and oil exploration.
Old March 14, 2012, 11:30 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
That puzzled me too. The map doesn't support her claim. Possibly she mixed the two numbers up?
That would be a terrible mix up from the Foreign Minister.

Quote:
That's good to know. Is this a oil/gas rich region? Has there been any exploration or any sort of geologic research in this region?
Old March 14, 2012, 11:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
That's good to know. Is this a oil/gas rich region? Has there been any exploration or any sort of geologic research in this region?
Mufi,

Yes. See the following links:

http://www.southasiaanalysis.org/%5C...paper1877.html
https://www.gplus.com/natural-resour...province-42897
http://af.reuters.com/article/energy...8DF3ET20120215
http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...es-oil-and-gas
Old March 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Or we could build the Palm Jabbar Ali to complement the gas and oil exploration.
Old March 14, 2012, 12:27 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

The Burmese are mental....they tried to basically take away half our maritime territory.

This is what they wanted versus what we wanted....

and finally what we won

I've read that that what we perceive to be our territorial waters has essentially been divided out into 27 'blocks' - we had around 9 undisputed, and the rest were being disputed by Myanmar and India.

With this verdict that number has gone up from 9 to around 18-20. Leaving another 7-9 still disputed with India, and to be settled in 2014.

Hopefully this win, strengthens our claims for the other case, and we end up getting another favorable decision.
Old March 14, 2012, 12:36 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Bangladesh clearly didn't get what they wanted, neither Myanmar. But Bangladesh got the St Martin and 12 km around it. That's a good thing. Myanmar navy/coast guards would very frequently disturb the fishermen and take them into custody for fishing on the Myanmar side of St Martin, I hope that harassment will stop. Strategically, this will allow our Navy to smell Aqiyab port of Myanmar, which their largest naval base too, in case of any future war... But this decision wasn't at all one sided for BD. It's a win win...
Old March 14, 2012, 01:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Hope we find gas and more importantly hope we get to use that gas for our own development..
Old March 14, 2012, 01:21 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

I had an opportunity to follow the oral proceedings and actually saw the advocates at work! I wrote some of my thoughts here way back in September 2011 (but no one responded ) "Our Other Border: Monitoring the delimitation of our maritime boundary with Myanmar"

I am really glad that the decision came in our favor but with the legal team we had, I'm not surprised! They're some of the greatest international lawyers of our day (Paul Reichler, Philippe Sands QC, etc)

I have to say though, there is something definitely wrong with that article. I think they've confused what Dr. Dipu Moni has said. Bangladesh has long asked for the equitable principle of maritime delimitation to be followed and India and Myanmar have asked for the equidistance principle to be followed - not the other way around. (For a lucid, introductory essay on this topic please read this: "The Problem of Delimitation of Bangladesh's Maritime Boundaries with India and Myanmar: Prospects of a Solution"

You also have the opportunity to read the Judgment here or just the operative clauses because the judgment runs to 151 pages! There is also a video archive of the Bangladeshi representatives and international advocates making our case on the website

I haven't read the entire Judgment yet but I'm glad that we got a few things in our favour at least. Will comment later.
Old March 14, 2012, 02:47 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

the question is if Myanmar will abide by this ruling
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old March 14, 2012, 03:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
the question is if Myanmar will abide by this ruling
BNS Bangabandhu is not for show!!!
Old March 14, 2012, 04:24 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

I thought that is for escaping... anyway I am sure Burma has bigger boats than us...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old March 14, 2012, 06:14 PM
Cricket Legend

It would appear at first sight that the ruling is not a surprise. The west, that is in particular US would favor BD more because it is more open than Myanmar. And since it is oil rich area, rather have in a relatively friendly nation's hand than not.

Equinox Bhai, Thank you for the thread and bringing it to our attention.
Old March 14, 2012, 06:23 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Performing Tigers

@ equinox, thanks for sharing the info.
------------------------
Finally, some good news...how good is it? Only time will tell!

Last edited by idrinkh2O; March 15, 2012 at 11:35 AM..
Old March 14, 2012, 07:03 PM

Congratulations to the team, and esp. Rear Adm(retd) Khorshed Alam, BN. He has been on this case and the issues of our maritime boundary as special consultant since 2006/7. I believe he was promoted in rank while in retirement for his work with MoFA.
Old March 14, 2012, 07:37 PM

Great news. Congrats team Bangladesh
Old March 14, 2012, 07:41 PM

Prothom Alo published Rear Adm (retd). Khorshed Alam's interview before the judgment. Has good insight into our maritime dispute with India as well.

Quote:
অতিরিক্ত পররাষ্ট্রসচিব রিয়ার অ্যাডমিরাল (অব.) মোহাম্মদ খুরশেদ আলম জাতিসংঘ সমুদ্র আইনের আওতায় পরিচালিত কার্যক্রমের নেতৃত্ব দিচ্ছেন। পাকিস্তানের লয়ালপুর কেন্দ্রীয় জেল ও কোহাট দুর্গে তিনি নৌ-প্রশিক্ষণে হাতেখড়ি নিয়েছিলেন। পরে মিডশিপম্যান প্রশিক্ষণে কৃতিত্বের জন্য তিনি ভারতীয় রাষ্ট্রপতির স্বর্ণপদক লাভ করেন। ১৯৭৩ সালে প্রথম শ্রেণীতে কমিশনপ্রাপ্ত হন। ১৯৭৭ সালে বাংলাদেশ নৌবাহিনীর প্রথম রণতরীর অধিনায়ক হয়ে তিনি ইংল্যান্ডের পোর্টসমাউথ থেকে আলজিয়ার্স, আলেকজান্দ্রিয়া, জেদ্দা, কলম্বো হয়ে চট্টগ্রামে পৌঁছান। পরে তিনি বাংলাদেশ নৌ একাডেমি পারিচালনা এবং ইতালি থেকে যোগাযোগ বিষয়ে বিশেষজ্ঞ জ্ঞান অর্জন করেন। তিনি ইংল্যান্ডের গ্রিনউইচ রয়্যাল নেভাল স্টাফ কলেজের স্নাতক। ১৯৯১-৯৪ সালে কুয়ালালামপুরের বাংলাদেশ হাইকমিশনে প্রতিরক্ষা উপদেষ্টা এবং ২০০২-০৪ সালে মংলা বন্দর কর্তৃপক্ষের চেয়ারম্যান ছিলেন। সাক্ষাৎকারটি গত ১১ মার্চ পররাষ্ট্র দপ্তরে নেওয়া হয়।
সাক্ষাৎকার নিয়েছেন মিজানুর রহমান খান

প্রথম আলো  সমুদ্রসীমা নির্ধারণে ১৪ মার্চ বাংলাদেশ একটি আন্তর্জাতিক ট্রাইবুন্যাল থেকে প্রথমবারের মতো রায় পেতে যাচ্ছে। এটা হবে বাংলাদেশের ইতিহাসের এক মাইলফলক ঘটনা। সোমবার আপনি হামবুর্গে যাচ্ছেন। যাওয়ার আগে এ বিষয়ে আপনার কাছ থেকে বিস্তারিত জানতে চাই।
মো. খুরশেদ আলম  ১৯৭৪ সালে বাংলাদেশ প্রথম সংসদে টেরিটরিয়াল ওয়াটার ও মেরিটাইম জোনস অ্যাক্ট পাস করে। তখন ভারত ও মিয়ানমার বিশেষ করে বাংলাদেশের ঘোষিত বেইজ লাইনের বিষয়ে প্রতিবাদ করে। তারা দাবি করে, বাংলাদেশের বেইজলাইন তাদের সমুদ্রসীমায় ২০ নটিক্যাল মাইল (১৭৬০ গজে এক মাইল, ২০০০ গজে এক নটিক্যাল মাইল) ঢুকে গেছে। তখন থেকেই তারা ইকুইডিসট্যান্স বা সমদূরত্ব পদ্ধতিতে লাইন টেনে সমুদ্রসীমা নির্ধারণের পক্ষে যুক্তি তুলে ধরে। তবে ১৯৭৪ সালে মিয়ানমারের সঙ্গে বাংলাদেশের একটা অর্জন ছিল। সেটা হলো ১২ নটিক্যাল মাইল সমুদ্রসীমা নির্ধারণে দুই দেশ মতৈক্যে পৌঁছেছিল। কোনো আনুষ্ঠানিক চুক্তি হয়নি। কিন্তু তার ভিত্তি ছিল দুই দেশের মধ্যে অনুষ্ঠিত বৈঠকের সম্মত কার্যবিবরণী। তবে ১৯৭৪ সাল থেকেই আমরা জানি, দুই দেশের দাবির কারণে আমরা সাগর পাই মাত্র ১৩০ নটিক্যাল মাইল। অথচ আমাদের দাবি হলো বিশেষ অর্থনৈতিক এলাকা হিসেবে ২০০ নটিক্যাল মাইল ও মহীসোপান হিসেবে সাড়ে ৪০০ নটিক্যাল মাইলেরও বেশি।

প্রথম আলো  আমরা জানি এত বড় একটি গুরুত্বপূর্ণ ইস্যুতে বাংলাদেশ দুই প্রতিবেশীর সঙ্গে আলোচনা চালাতে যথেষ্ট উদাসীন থেকেছে। এর কারণ কী ছিল? বাংলাদেশ কেন মিয়ানমারের সঙ্গে আলোচনা চালিয়ে যায়নি?
মো. খুরশেদ আলম  সেটা আমি বলতে পারব না। সুদীর্ঘকাল দুই প্রতিবেশীর সঙ্গে এ নিয়ে কোনো আলাপ-আলোচনা করা হয়নি। তার মানে সাগর ও সাগরের সম্পদের ওপর আমাদের অধিকার প্রতিষ্ঠা করার যে তাগিদ ছিল, সেটা কোনো সরকারই তেমন সঠিকভাবে পালন করেনি। আর সেটা না করার কারণে জার্মানির আদালতে মিয়ানমার সেটা অস্বীকার করে। আমাদের কাছে সেই দলিল ছিল, আমরা আদালতে তা পেশ করি। আমরা এ-ও বলেছি, গত ৩৫ বছর ধরে মিয়ানমার ওই সম্মত কার্যবিবরণীর আওতায় সুবিধা ভোগ করেছে। শুনানিকালে তারা বলেছে, সেন্টমার্টিন একটি দ্বীপ এবং মিয়ানমার একটি মূল ভূখণ্ড। সুতরাং দ্বীপ আর ভূখণ্ড একই গুরুত্ব বহন করে না। তাই এখন আমরা বাংলাদেশকে ১২ মাইল নয়, ছয় মাইল দেব। আমরা এটা মেনে নিইনি।

প্রথম আলো  আমাদের সমুদ্রের উপকূলের বৈশিষ্ট্য অনন্য। এটা বিশ্বের আর দশটা উপকূলের মতো নয়, এর ধরনটা অবতল প্রকৃতির। সে কারণেই কি আমরা ইকুইডিসট্যান্স বা সমদূরত্ব দ্বারা বিচ্ছিন্ন পদ্ধতি পরিহার করে ইকুয়েটেবল বা ন্যয়সংগত পদ্ধতি অনুসরণের দাবি তুলেছি? ১৪ মার্চের রায়ে তো এটাই ফয়সালা হবে যে বাংলাদেশ কোন পদ্ধতির আওতায় পড়বে?
মো. খুরশেদ আলম  ঠিক তাই। আমাদের কাছে কিছুতেই সমদূরত্ব পদ্ধতি গ্রহণযোগ্য হওয়ার ছিল না। বিজ্ঞ বিচারকেরা সমদূরত্ব পদ্ধতি স্থির করলে বাংলাদেশের বিরাট ক্ষতি হবে। আমরা খুবই আশাবাদী যে ১৯৮২ সালের জাতিসংঘ সমুদ্র আইনের আওতায় আমরা ‘ন্যায়সংগত পদ্ধতি’র আওতায় মীমাংসা লাভ করব।

প্রথম আলো  ১৪ মার্চের রায় কি দুই দেশের ওপর বাধ্যকর না ঐচ্ছিক?
মো. খুরশেদ আলম  এটা মানা বাধ্যতামূলক। এই রায় চূড়ান্ত। এর বিরুদ্ধে আর কোনো আপিলও চলবে না।

প্রথম আলো  মিয়ানমারের সঙ্গে কয়েকটি পর্বে আলোচনা হয়েছে। এগুলো কী ফল দিয়েছিল?
মো. খুরশেদ আলম  আগেই বলেছি, ১৯৭৪ সালেই তাদের সঙ্গে আলোচনায় একটা অগ্রগতি ঘটে। এরপর ১৯৭৫ থেকে ১৯৮৬ সালের মধ্যে সাত-আটবার আলোচনা হয়েছে, কিন্তু কোনো অগ্রগতি হয়নি। ১৯৮৬ সালের পর ২২ বছর সমুদ্রসীমা নিয়ে মিয়ানমারের সঙ্গে আর কোনো আলোচনা হয়নি। এরপর নতুন করে আলোচনা শুরু হয় ২০০৮ সালে তত্ত্বাবধায়ক সরকারের আমলে।

প্রথম আলো  তত্ত্বাবধায়ক সরকার কেন এ বিষয়ে আলোচনার তাগিদ অনুভব করেছিল?
মো. খুরশেদ আলম  মিয়ানমার ওই সময় বঙ্গোপসাগরে একটি রিগ নিয়ে এসেছিল তাদের একটি ব্লকে তেল আহরণের জন্য। বর্তমান সরকার ক্ষমতায় এসে সেই আলোচনার ধারাবাহিকতা বজায় রাখে। আমি দুই-একবার তাদের সঙ্গে আলোচনায় নেতৃত্ব দিয়েছি। কিন্তু দ্রুত বুঝে নিলাম, আলোচনা করে কোনো অগ্রগতি হওয়ার সম্ভাবনা নেই। তারা সমদূরত্ব পদ্ধতির আওতায় সমুদ্রে ২৪৩ ডিগ্রি একটি সমুদ্রসীমা আশা করে। অন্যদিকে ১৯৮০ সালের পর ভারতের সঙ্গেও এই ইস্যুতে কোনো আলোচনা হয়নি। ১৯৭৪ থেকে ১৯৮০ পর্যন্ত ভারতের সঙ্গে আলোচনা হয়েছে। ২০০৮ সালে তত্ত্বাবধায়ক সরকারের আমলে ভারতের সঙ্গে এক দফা আলোচনা হয়েছিল। মিয়ানমারের সঙ্গে পাঁচ দফা। এর তিন দফা তত্ত্বাবধায়ক ও দুই দফা বর্তমান সরকারের আমলে। ভারতের সঙ্গে হয়েছে চার দফা।

প্রথম আলো  পেট্রোবাংলা বঙ্গোপসাগরে ব্লক ঘোষণার পর ভারত ও মিয়ানমার প্রতিবাদ জানিয়েছিল। সেই বিষয়টি একটু খুলে বলুন।
মো. খুরশেদ আলম  ২০০৫ সালে বিএনপি সরকার এই ব্লকের বিডিং প্রক্রিয়া শুরু করেছিল। তারা পুরো কাজই চূড়ান্ত করে গিয়েছিল। তত্ত্বাবধায়ক সরকার শুধু তা বাস্তবায়ন করে। বাংলাদেশ সমুদ্রে সোজা লাইন টেনে ২৮টি ব্লক ঘোষণা করে। তখন ভারত ও মিয়ানমার আপত্তি তুলল। ভারত ও মিয়ানমার যথাক্রমে ১০ ও ১৭টি ব্লক দাবি করল।

প্রথম আলো  তাহলে বাংলাদেশের ভাগে থাকে মাত্র একটি ব্লক। সেটি কি ১৩০ নটিক্যাল মাইলের মধ্যে? সেটি কী অবস্থায় আছে?
মো. খুরশেদ আলম  হ্যাঁ। ভারত ও মিয়ানমার ওই সমদূরত্ব পদ্ধতি ধরে ২৭টি ব্লক দাবি করেছে। আর অবশিষ্ট ব্লকটি কনোকোফিলিপসকে দেওয়া হয়েছে। তারা কাজ করছে।

প্রথম আলো  তাহলে বাংলাদেশের পক্ষে একতরফাভাবে ওই ব্লকগুলোর ঘোষণা দেওয়া কি ঠিক হয়নি?
মো. খুরশেদ আলম  সিদ্ধান্তটি আসলে আইনানুগ ছিল না। মিয়ানমার যুক্তি দিল, তুমি তোমার ২০০ নটিক্যাল মাইলের মধ্যে ব্লক দিয়েছ, তাহলে আমার সামনে মাত্র ৩০ নটিক্যাল মাইলের মধ্যে কীভাবে তোমার ব্লক পড়ল? জায়গা না থাকলে ভাগাভাগি হবে কিন্তু এটা কীভাবে একতরফা হতে পারে? মিয়ানমারের উপকূল থেকে সর্বোচ্চ ১১৫ মাইল ও সর্বনিম্ন ৩০ মাইলের মধ্যে বাংলাদেশের ব্লক পড়েছিল।

প্রথম আলো  কিন্তু বিএনপি সরকার নিশ্চয়ই একটা যুক্তির ওপর ভিত্তি করে ২৮টি ব্লকের বিষয়ে সিদ্ধান্ত নিয়েছিল। সেটি কী ছিল?
মো. খুরশেদ আলম  ১৯৭৪ সালের আইন অনুযায়ী বিএনপি ওটা করেছিল। কিন্তু ওই আইনে বাংলাদেশের সমুদ্রসীমা চিহ্নিত করা হয়নি। কারণ দুই পক্ষ সম্মত না হলে সমুদ্রসীমা হয় না। কাগজপত্র থেকে আমরা দেখতে পাচ্ছি, বিএনপির তৎকালীন পররাষ্ট্রমন্ত্রী বলেছিলেন, এভাবে সিদ্ধান্ত নেওয়া সমীচীন হবে না। কিন্তু প্রধানমন্ত্রীর তৎকালীন জ্বালানিবিষয়ক উপদেষ্টা মাহমুদুর রহমান ব্লকের বিষয়ে ভূমিকা রাখেন। তিনি বিবৃতিও দিয়েছিলেন যে বাংলাদেশের এলাকায় বাংলাদেশ ব্লক ঘোষণা করেছে। কিন্তু আপনি যদি আপনার সীমানায় দেয়াল তুলতে চান, তাহলে পাশের বাড়ির মালিকের সঙ্গে আপনাকে আলোচনা করতে হবে। কিন্তু তা না করে ওইভাবে ব্লক ঘোষণা করে সংকটকে গভীরে নেওয়া হয়েছিল।

প্রথম আলো  এখন বলুন আদালতে যাওয়ার সিদ্ধান্ত কীভাবে গ্রহণ করেছিলেন?
মো. খুরশেদ আলম  বর্তমান সরকার অগ্রাধিকার ভিত্তিতে গোড়াতেই সিদ্ধান্ত নিল সাগরে আমাদের যে সম্পদ আছে তার ওপর জাতীয় অধিকার প্রতিষ্ঠা করতে হবে। আলাপ-আলোচনা করে আর কালক্ষেপণ না করার সিদ্ধান্ত নেওয়া হয়। তাহলে বিকল্প থাকে তৃতীয় পক্ষের শরণাপন্ন হওয়া। এই পটভূমিতে আদালতে যাওয়ার সিদ্ধান্ত নেওয়া হলো।

প্রথম আলো  ভারত ও মিয়ানমার এরপর কী প্রতিক্রিয়া দেখিয়েছিল?
মো. খুরশেদ আলম  মিয়ানমার ইন্টারন্যাশনাল ট্রাইব্যুনাল ফর ল অব দ্য সি-তে যেতে চাইল। আমরা সম্মত হয়েছি। ভারতকেও আসতে বলা হলো। জার্মানি, ডেনমার্ক ও নেদারল্যান্ড যেভাবে সমস্যার সমাধান করেছিল, সেভাবে আমরা একযোগে সমুদ্রসীমা নিষ্পত্তি করতে পারতাম। কিন্তু ভারত রাজি হয়নি। এ জন্য আদালত হয়ে গেল দুটো। মিয়ানমারের সঙ্গে হলো ট্রাইব্যুনাল আর ভারতের সঙ্গে থেকে গেল হেগের পারমান্যান্ট কোর্ট অব আরবিট্রেশন। আমরা এখন ইন্টারন্যাশনাল ট্রাইব্যুনাল ফর ল অব দ্য সি-র রায়ের অপেক্ষা করছি। জানুয়ারি থেকে সেপ্টেম্বর বিচার-প্রক্রিয়া চলল। মোট ১৬-১৭ দিন জার্মানির ট্রাইব্যুনালে মৌখিক শুনানি হয়েছে।

প্রথম আলো  বাংলাদেশ তার শুনানিতে কোন কোন বিষয়ের ওপর বিশেষ গুরুত্ব দিয়েছিল? আমাদের মতো বিশেষ প্রকৃতির সমুদ্র উপকূল বিশ্বে আর কাদের রয়েছে? আন্তর্জাতিক আদালত থেকে তারা কী ধরনের ফল পেয়েছে? আপনারা কেন আশাবাদী যে আইনি লড়াইয়ে বাংলাদেশ জয়ী হতে চলেছে?
মো. খুরশেদ আলম  আমরা সমুদ্র আইনের ‘ন্যায়সংগত’ ধারার আওতায় সুরাহা চেয়েছি। ন্যায়সংগত প্রক্রিয়ায় নির্ধারণে আইনে কোনো সূত্র নেই। সে কারণে আমরা একটা ‘বাই সেক্টর’ পদ্ধতি অনুসরণের কথা বলেছি। যেমন আমাদের ও মিয়ানমার থেকে দুটো কোস্ট লাইন নিলাম। এই অ্যাঙ্গেলটা ভাগ করার নাম বাই সেক্টর। হন্ডুরাস ও নিকারাগুয়া এটা করেছে। তাতে আমরা ২০০ নটিক্যাল মাইল পর্যন্ত যেতে পারব। এখন আমরা আজকের আদালতের রায়ের দিকে তাকিয়ে আছি। কোর্ট কী বলতে পারেন। প্রথম বিকল্প সমদূরত্ব পদ্ধতি অনুযায়ী সমাধান দেওয়া। যেটা সমুদ্র আইনে আদালতকে দেওয়া হয়েছে। কিন্তু যাতে তারা এ সিদ্ধান্তে না পৌঁছান সে জন্য আমরা যথেষ্ট তথ্য-উপাত্ত আদালতে পেশ করেছি।

প্রথম আলো  এখন ভারতের প্রশ্নে আইনগত অবস্থানটি ব্যাখ্যা করুন। মিয়ানমার প্রশ্নে আমরা যে রায় পাচ্ছি তা কীভাবে ভারতের ওপর প্রভাব ফেলবে?
মো. খুরশেদ আলম  সালিশ আদালতে পাঁচজন বিচারক থাকবেন। এটি গঠিত হয়ে গেছে গত জানুয়ারির শেষ সপ্তাহে। আদালত ইতিমধ্যেই তাদের কার্যপ্রণালি চূড়ান্ত করেছেন। গত ৩১ মে ২০১১ বাংলাদেশ এই আদালতে তার কাউন্টার মেমোরিয়াল জমা দিয়েছে। ভারতের দেওয়ার কথা ছিল ৩১ মে ২০১২। কিন্তু ভারত বলেছে, যেহেতু বাংলাদেশ ও মিয়ানমারের মধ্যকার যে রায় হবে, তার একটা প্রভাব এই মামলায় পড়তে পারে, তাই ভারতকে আরও দুই মাস সময় বর্ধিত করা হোক। এখন ভারত ৩১ জুলাই ২০১২-এর মধ্যে তাদের উত্তর দেবে। আমরা উত্তর দেব ২০১৩ সালের জানুয়ারি মাসে। তারা রিজয়েন্ডার দেবে জুলাই ২০১৩। এরপর মৌখিক শুনানি শুরু হবে। এরপর রায়। ২০১৪ সালের মধ্যে এই রায় আশা করছি।

প্রথম আলো  আপনাকে ধন্যবাদ।
মো. খুরশেদ আলম  ধন্যবাদ।
http://www.prothom-alo.com/detail/da...14/news/232386

Last edited by ammark; March 14, 2012 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: formatting and link
Old March 14, 2012, 09:29 PM

Great job, now settle it between Bangladesh and India.
Old March 14, 2012, 10:10 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tendulkar & Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
Bangladesh clearly didn't get what they wanted, neither Myanmar. But Bangladesh got the St Martin and 12 km around it. That's a good thing. Myanmar navy/coast guards would very frequently disturb the fishermen and take them into custody for fishing on the Myanmar side of St Martin, I hope that harassment will stop. Strategically, this will allow our Navy to smell Aqiyab port of Myanmar, which their largest naval base too, in case of any future war... But this decision wasn't at all one sided for BD. It's a win win...
I have seen many news articles today but didn't read anywhere what you are talking about here. Can you plz clarify your comments. I know you will fail to do that. Cuz Bangladesh got the 17 blocks what Myanmar was saying their. And rest of the 11 blocks will be decided between Bangladesh and India within 2014. So how you are saying its a win win for both BD and Myanmar, I dont know. Myanmar totally lost here. Also I'm sure you know the difference between mile and km. So just plz try to appreciate good things.
Old March 14, 2012, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Good coveragefrom the DS.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=226363

Sea Limit Row with Myanmar

Bay is ours

International tribunal upholds Bangladesh's economic, territorial rights over 200 nautical miles from coast

Rezaul Karim

Bangladesh yesterday won a landmark verdict at the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea, which sustained its claim to 200-nautical-mile exclusive economic and territorial rights in the Bay of Bengal rejecting the claims of Myanmar.

The verdict of the court went absolutely in Bangladesh's favour and even beyond, as it gave more than what Bangladesh had asked for. The judgment is final and cannot be appealed against.

The verdict of the tribunal gave Bangladesh a substantial share of the outer continental shelf beyond 200 miles, which would open ways for offshore oil and gas exploration in the Bay.

The tribunal also awarded Bangladesh a full 12-mile territorial sea around St Martin's Island, overruling Myanmar's argument that the island be cut in half and shared.

“We have got everything, even more than what we wanted. We are happy, we are absolutely delighted,” cheerful Foreign Minister Dipu Moni told The Daily Star over the phone from Hamburg, Germany.

"This is a great day for Bangladesh. All our strategic objectives were achieved," she said, adding that Bangladesh could now proceed with its oil and gas exploration in the area. “In our claims, we wanted around 1 lakh square miles but the tribunal in its verdict gave us 1.11 lakh square miles,” she said.

Yesterday's 151-page judgment was the first by any court or tribunal to delimit the maritime area beyond 200 miles, known as the “outer continental shelf”, and is certain to establish an important precedent.

“Bangladesh's full access to the high seas out to 200 miles and beyond is now recognised and guaranteed with our undisputed rights to the fish in our waters and the natural resources beneath our seabed,” Minister Dipu Moni said.

The tribunal, based in Hamburg, Germany, was established by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea to adjudicate disputes between states concerning issues covered by the convention, including the delimitation of maritime boundaries.

President of the tribunal Jose Luis Jesus of Cape Verde read out the judgment in the courtroom yesterday around 4:30am Bangladesh time. The 23-member panel of judges of the tribunal delivered its judgment after following a series of procedures and long hearings between September 8 and September 24, 2011, when both the countries presented their arguments.

The verdict, which the judges passed voting 21 to 1, concludes the case initiated by Bangladesh against Myanmar on October 8, 2009, to resolve a longstanding dispute over the maritime boundary.

Sources said Bangladesh lodged cases after India and Myanmar unfairly cut off a significant portion of Bangladesh's maritime area in the Bay.

Bangladesh's objection to Myanmar's claim was lodged with the tribunal and its objection to the Indian claim was filed with the UN's Permanent Court of Arbitration based in The Hague, the Netherlands. The arbitration with India is expected to be settled in 2014.
Bangladesh favours a principle based on "equity" while India and Myanmar favours "equidistance" system to get larger maritime areas.

Under a UN charter, the principle of "equity" takes into account a country's population, economic status and needs, GDP growth, and other issues, while the "equidistance" system marks the boundary through geometric calculations.

According to United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, any such dispute should be resolved on the basis of equity, and in the light of relevant circumstances. This makes Bangladesh's demand for equity-based demarcation justified, experts said.
Foreign Minister Dipu Moni, who was present in the courtroom during the judgment, told The Daily Star immediately afterwards that the people of Bangladesh were deeply connected to and dependent on the Bay of Bengal, both as a source of nutrition and for employment.

The legal certainty afforded by this verdict would ensure that “we will be able to maximize the benefit of this important resource for the people of Bangladesh while at the same time ensuring long-term sustainability,” she added.

The foreign minister said energy-starved Bangladesh's exploration for petroleum and natural gas in the Bay, which had been delayed by conflicting boundary claims, could now proceed.

The judgment would now allow Conoco Philips Bangladesh to explore oil and gas for Bangladesh in deep-sea areas previously marked disputed. The oil company conditionally signed a production sharing contract last year leaving out the disputed areas.

The company kept a provision saying that it would explore the disputed areas after the issue had been settled.

“Today's ruling constitutes the equitable solution that Bangladesh has long desired, but was unable to obtain during the 38 years of diplomatic stalemate preceding the lawsuit,” the foreign minister asserted.

“The bold and visionary decision of the prime minister to seek a binding judicial resolution of this longstanding dispute has been vindicated.

“But it is a victory for both states…because it finally resolves, peacefully and according to international law, a problem that had hampered the economic development of both states for more than three [almost four] decades. We salute Myanmar for its willingness to resolve this matter by legal means and for its acceptance of the tribunal's judgment,” she said.

Myanmar wanted its maritime boundary with Bangladesh cut directly across the Bangladesh coastline, severely truncating Bangladesh's maritime jurisdiction to a narrow wedge of sea not extending beyond 130 miles.

Myanmar also claimed that the tribunal lacked jurisdiction to award continental shelf rights beyond 200 miles from either state's coast.

The tribunal rejected both these arguments.

“We are very pleased with the expertise, fairness and efficiency of the ITLOS [the tribunal] and its judges,” said Dipu Moni. “The case was resolved, from beginning to end, in a little over two years. This is unprecedented in judicial efficiency in a maritime boundary case.”

As the agent of Bangladesh in the proceedings the foreign minister presided over an eminent legal team, including deputy agent Rear Admiral (retd) Md Khurshed Alam, attorneys James Crawford, Philippe Sands and Alan Boyle of the United Kingdom, Paul Reichler and Lawrence Martin of the United States, and Payam Akhavan of Canada.

Myanmar was represented by its agent Attorney General Tun Shin. Its counsels included Alain Pellet and Mathias Forteau of France, Sir Michael Wood of the United Kingdom and Coalter Lathrop of the United States.

It may be mentioned that the army-backed caretaker regime invited bids for offshore exploration in February 2008 after dividing its sea territory in the Bay into 28 blocks.

But both India and Myanmar raised objections in all most all the blocks bordering “their maritime boundaries” that prevented Bangladesh from exploring for oil-gas. Myanmar even claimed rights to part of an area of Bangladesh and at the peak of the dispute in 2008, a war-like situation developed when both countries sent their navy to the disputed area.
Old March 14, 2012, 11:48 PM
Banned

Thank God Bangladesh is winning in something, albeit not in cricket.
Old March 15, 2012, 01:41 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Dont mess with Banglar Bagh
Old March 15, 2012, 01:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Russia....here we come.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles