facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 16, 2012, 12:06 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Finally, the true face of Bangladesh cricket for all to see

Tonight, at the Sher-e-Bangla Stadium, the shroud that had been concealing the true face of Bangla cricket was torn away.

I, for one,was not at all surprised with the proceedings tonight. Driving home in Colombo, after work, I knew that India had not scored enough, given the fire power of Bangladesh batting and the weaknesses in Indian bowling.

For a long time now I have been noticing that Bangladesh cricket had come of age, and they were no longer minnows. It is only lack of self-belief and inability to execute plans that had stood in the way of frequent Tiger wins.

Emergence of Shakib-al-Hassan as the world's best ODI all-rounder, confident, solid performances by players like Tamim Iqbal and - since of late - an adventurous, dynamic and surprisingly articulate captain in pocket-rocket Mushfiqur Rahim have been pushing up Tiger cricket for some time, in spite of limited success due to lack of self-belief in some and errors in execution.

Given the current states of the four teams participating in the on-going Asia Cup, I would be bold enough to rank Bangladesh above India and Sri Lanka. Team India is full of holes, especially in the areas of team spirit (ironically) and bowling, while Sri Lanka's bowling has been failing consistently to deliver, adding to their woes of not having reliable big-hitters. The Pakistanis are obviously the best side but thy are known to be chokers; so if they get into a final with the Tigers - which is now looming large - I will not put it past them to grant the Tigers the win they were denied just a few nights ago.

The present Bangladesh team reminds me of Arjuna Ranatunga's team in the lead up to their famous World Cup win in 1996.

Now it is up to the team management and the think-tanks of Bangla cricket to address any gaps so that the Tigers would deliver consistently and be regarded as one of the powers in World cricket, which they really are. No better way to start than winning this Asia Cup.

Having said this, there is nothing to stop wild the celebrations raging not only across Bangladesh but also everywhere else Bangladeshis live and work. It was great to see all the jubilant faces of Bangladeshi people at the stadium tonight, on TV.

Congratulations Bangladesh ! As a Sri Lankan, I am truly happy for you.

Old March 16, 2012, 12:12 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

^ What a wonderful tribute abherath!! Thank you so much. As a Bangladeshi fan, it means so much to have cricket fans from other parts of the world to see the potential that we do (and feel the frustration that we feel at it being unfulfilled). Thankfully, we were able to show the world today that a spirited team effort can overcome anything, even the mammoth achievements of one man.
Old March 16, 2012, 12:14 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
^ What a wonderful tribute abherath!! Thank you so much. As a Bangladeshi fan, it means so much to have cricket fans from other parts of the world to see the potential that we do (and feel the frustration that we feel at it being unfulfilled). Thankfully, we were able to show the world today that a spirited team effort can overcome anything, even the mammoth achievements of one man.
You are very welcome and you are so right about what team spirit could help achieve.
Old March 16, 2012, 12:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

This is proof that passion does turn into ability. Look at how Shakib addressed the crowd and how he has kept his word, and they kept their. Honestly, the only player in the world who can make millions make a promise
Old March 16, 2012, 12:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglaguy
This is proof that passion does turn into ability. Look at how Shakib addressed the crowd and how he has kept his word, and they kept their. Honestly, the only player in the world who can make millions make a promise
Shakib's body language was superb even when he was back at the pavilion, watching the others fight it out and also after the win when he was with his team mates.

He has played a major part in transforming Bangla cricket.
Old March 16, 2012, 12:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Thanks for that abherath.

Now hoping for a good match against you guys.
Old March 16, 2012, 12:35 PM

Welcome back Abherath, you may not know how goodits feel being a fan of poor team when finally the moment come! Its like flying all over in galaxy!!
Old March 16, 2012, 12:45 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Thanks Abherath.
Nice to see you back on this forum and you have chosen the perfect day mate
Victory is always sweet but it is every so more against the Indians.
Tonight belongs to us.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 16, 2012, 01:11 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Thanks you AbHerath. Hope for a good next game. Welcome back.
Old March 16, 2012, 02:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Thanks a looot for Abherath !!! Such kind words and appreciations means a lot for us !!! At this stage all our team needed is encouragement.. I firmly believe we have the talents but their inability to execute their plans leave them on the losing side.. I hope this win and the close match against Pakistan will give them whole lot confidence.. Today it felt like at last they have learned the art of winning matches.. it was just picture perfect innings from each and everyone.. It was a team effort !!! I see some hope now and we will need more support from all over the world !!! Thank you once again !!
Old March 16, 2012, 03:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Thanks Abhearth, it is very encouraging effort for our poor fans and team
Old March 16, 2012, 03:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Good to see you back, abherath.
Old March 16, 2012, 03:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Performing Tigers

Abhearth,
Aww, so nice of you...those are some encouraging words. Thanks so much!
Old March 16, 2012, 04:01 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

It is nice to hear from you abherath. I hope you are right, hopefully we are now maturing as a team, finally coming of age.
Old March 16, 2012, 04:13 PM
BC Editorial Team

WB Abherath. You have been missed. Nice sentiments on BD there
Old March 16, 2012, 04:20 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Too many to name.

Well done Bangladesh! I'm happy for the team and all you long suffering fans. It's obvious to an outsider that your country has the raw material to be a serious force in world cricket. You have a large population and the requisite love of the game, and all that has been lacking has been to cut and polish these uncut 'diamonds' into finished articles. I understand that many or most of you fans have been frustrated at what you have seen as slow progress but the reality is that your progress has been about the same as any team that has come into the game late. South Africa, the West Indies, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka have all struggled early in their time in international cricket. Many of you have been demoralised by fans from other countries who have seen you guys as a 'soft target' and for whatever reasons (who can ever really know what goes on in another person's head) have mocked you and your team for struggles that they endured but are either too ill informed or too dishonest to admit.

There will be more struggles, more disappointments and more challenges to be faced as your team progresses but as long as the general trend is upward you should know that you are heading in the right direction. Today your young side has silenced (for a while) your harshest critics and brought a smile to the face of at least one outsider who wishes you well. The job is never finished. There is never a time that you can afford to become complacent, and even titans of the game like my Aussies get their noses rubbed in the dirt from time to time. We're still wounded from the thrashing the Poms gave us in our own back yard last summer.

Your players and coaching staff have worked hard for this and today another brick has been laid in the building of 'Bangladesh as a serious international competitor' in the cricketing world. For today at least Bangladesh is 'King of the World'.
Old March 16, 2012, 04:25 PM
BC Editorial Team

Nice words there Biggus. And as someone who has had to take a lot of stick for our Australian coaches, simply because of shared nationality, I have to say Stu did a lot of things right today. Staying with the same side - Shafi got Gautam and looked threatening in spurts, Razzak was the best bowler on display, changing the batting order poifectly, deciding to chase - all of these are team think tank decisions and Stu should get credit for his part in that.
Old March 16, 2012, 04:36 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Great words Biggus as always
Old March 16, 2012, 04:41 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Too many to name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Nice words there Biggus. And as someone who has had to take a lot of stick for our Australian coaches, simply because of shared nationality, I have to say Stu did a lot of things right today. Staying with the same side - Shafi got Gautam and looked threatening in spurts, Razzak was the best bowler on display, changing the batting order poifectly, deciding to chase - all of these are team think tank decisions and Stu should get credit for his part in that.
No worries mate. I understand the fans frustration and I really am very happy for you guys today. I think all unbiased fans of this game (as opposed to fans of their nation's team) want Bangladesh to do well. It's for the good of the game that we have a vibrant and varied community participating in cricket, the finest of all sports in my estimation (OK, so I'm biased in that respect. To me cricket is more that just a game).
Old March 16, 2012, 05:08 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Thanks for those words of appreciation and encouragement; Abherat and Biggus.... Yes, you may be right about the transformation of BD cricket in this Asia cup.

We have had wins against the big teams before as well, but the feelings of those wins were not like this. The feelings I get as a fan is completely different, and this time, a feeling of reaching to a new level is creeping into heart and mind, very naturally. Well it's only two matches of Asia cup, let's see how it all goes in the next match.

Thanks a lot.
Old March 16, 2012, 05:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

thanks to abherath and biggus for supporting BD cricket!! We still want to beat sri lanka though
Old March 16, 2012, 08:28 PM
Cricket Savant

Great words abherath, great thread!
Old March 16, 2012, 08:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

nice to see you back.

Thanks for your compliments
Old March 16, 2012, 08:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Old March 16, 2012, 08:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

srilanka is next! you should be scared dude. haha.