facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 29, 2016, 10:24 PM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz
Default 'I want to score 10,000 runs in either format'

Quote:
Tamim Iqbal talks about rediscovering his batting form through 2015, and Bangladesh's shortage of cricket this year.

Comparing two productive years may be a bit unfair, but do you still see a difference between 2010 and 2015?
The year 2010 was a great one for me. In 2015, I knew what I was trying to achieve. I planned and I achieved. I wanted to score 1000 runs in all formats in 2015. My goal was to average 50-plus in Tests and ODIs, which I almost did. It was a more pleasing year, as a result.

Your masterpiece was the double-hundred in Khulna against Pakistan last year, where you also had a record-breaking opening partnership with Imrul Kayes. Bangladesh were in big trouble when you two went out to bat in the second innings.

After Pakistan declared on 628, we knew it was going to be really hard for us to save that Test match. Even if it was the best wicket in the world, it would be hard. Imrul asked me, "What's the plan?" I said, "We will take them on."

It was the only way to get out of it. We can't defend, defend, defend and survive. We have to score runs and take them on. We played our shots and it was going to plan. When we reached 150 for no loss, we started to believe. I thought, "****, everything is in our control. If we keep playing our way, nobody can take this away from us." We would have to give it away.

After I reached my hundred, I told Imrul that I had done my part. The only thing in my mind was to save the game. I started to think about my double-hundred. I was attacking constantly. There were times when we faced difficulties against a particular bowler. He asked me, "Can you handle him?" I did. I got very nervous in the last over of the day. I went to him and said, "Can you handle this over, by not taking a single?" So he helped me.

There were a lot of emotions and stories in that partnership. Imrul was also keeping wicket though he wasn't a [regular] keeper, and he did so for a long time in that game. We had a very good ODI series where I scored two hundreds. Imrul came in and saw a team high on confidence.

The one-legged pull through square leg is also back. Is it a conscious shot or did you pick it up from someone?

There are a few shots that stay with you forever. It is just a matter of time when it comes out. I didn't want to follow anyone. It comes naturally to me. I know a lot of West Indian players do it, but I just do it out of instinct.

Charging at the bowlers is also something you did regularly in 2007, and now again over the last year or so.
When you are charging a bowler, they start to think about you. When you are in a defensive mood, you think about that bowler. It gives him the edge but when he is thinking about you, it gives you the edge.

Is there a number in mind?
I want to play for another six years. I really want to score 10,000 runs in either format. In Tests it is looking impossible, but if I play another 150 ODIs really well, it is possible.

Bangladesh play next against England in October…
After such a great season, we are not playing for eight months. It would definitely hamper us. People should be more interested in playing against us, but instead we are sitting on the sidelines. We don't know how we are going to play. There's no team in the world apart from Zimbabwe which sits out for so long between matches.

I could have understood it if we were playing like we did five years ago when our results were predictable, but after we have been performing so well they [other teams] don't want to play us. Take any top team and tell them to sit for eight months. You will see how they perform. They won't play the way they were playing
Full Interview: Cricinfo

Old June 29, 2016, 10:48 PM
First Class Cricketer

I wonder why Bangladesh is not playing against Zimbabwe in the eight months they were sitting without matches. They should play a series against Zimbabwe of five one day cricket, three Twenty20s, and three test cricket, which would have made them busy. They should also arrange matches against Afghanistan and Ireland full series of ODI and Twenty20 cricket. People do want to watch players in action than having Bangladesh team play once or twice in a eight months or a year.
Old June 30, 2016, 09:24 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

The sky is the limit Tamim. Hard work and determination, also discipline will take you there.
Old June 30, 2016, 07:23 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithlalm
I wonder why Bangladesh is not playing against Zimbabwe in the eight months they were sitting without matches. They should play a series against Zimbabwe of five one day cricket, three Twenty20s, and three test cricket, which would have made them busy. They should also arrange matches against Afghanistan and Ireland full series of ODI and Twenty20 cricket. People do want to watch players in action than having Bangladesh team play once or twice in a eight months or a year.
Zim have no opening. SA -A and then NZ is touring them.

May be they were sitting without intl standard matches. They are playing local tournaments. Plus the monsoon season is coming. That is when they take rest.
Old July 1, 2016, 04:09 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Consistency tamim, that and being able to play I.e. Matches scheduled
Old July 1, 2016, 07:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithlalm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Zim have no opening. SA -A and then NZ is touring them.

May be they were sitting without intl standard matches. They are playing local tournaments. Plus the monsoon season is coming. That is when they take rest.
Even if Zim has no opening, instead of hibernating for months, we can organize Tests and T20s with teams like Ireland and Afghanistan to get better in those formats.