facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 26, 2005, 08:00 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default Playing out 50 overs

Some folks are justifying slow batting (Particularly Golla) pointing out that we can not bat 50 overs so it's ok to become painfully slow, don't worry about scores all these.

Now tell me, after our recent successes, if we still go to a game with a mindset that we have to play out 50 overs no matter what is the score, then we are just going back 10 years.

It does not mean that we have to do hara kiri like we did yesterday against australia. It also does not also mean that we have to bring the whole game to a stand still.

People would say that well at least Javed Omar had some runs under his belt. But look what harm he did in the process.

Tushar Imran was scoring at a rate of more than run a ball until 15 overs and then suddently Javed Omar decided, ok, we are 82/1 after 15 overs, run rate is above 5, so time to put the brakes on!

The next 5 overs produced 9 runs!!!!

Tushar was taking single the first ball he faced but while JO went to strike, he just refused to score any runs for the remaining overs. I would not say that he was doing this to prevent the collapse that happened yesterday, it is more because that is the only way he knows to bat. That is even more a scary prospect.

Eventually Tushar got out trying a shot which was not there. I think being left out from strike for a major part of every over affected his game and I would partially blame JO for that.

Then comes the suicidal runout of Habibul Bashar. Whose call was that ? Javed Omar. Now that is not even funny. You decide to play dead most of the time and now suddenly wake up and decide to take a single on collingwood (the best english fielder).

Botham actually summarised it very nicely:
"This man is putting pressure on every new batsman who is coming to the crease. He decides to go on merrily and let the other batsman do the hardwork."

Now let me say this, if even JO scroes a century here today and BD wins the match (highly unlikely) I would still say that JO approach to the game was totally WRONG.