facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 24, 2005, 01:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Default What is your opinion about this? About Alcohol and Islam

External item

Want to get some concrete feedback, especially about medicines that contain alcohol. Is phensidyl haram when you need it for coughs?

Old October 24, 2005, 01:45 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

unles any other cough medicne cannot be provided then it is not haraam.

that web link is bull, there are lots of sites with such false claims, a basic fact is alcohol is haraam and so need to even discuss this issue.

i do not belive in such interent sites for research or info, unless the hadith or qouted source is autenticated and commented on scholers that renounded or accepted by the islamic world.

Best resource generally for any islamic issues are the books distributed from makka or muftis, that are accepted by your madhab e.g hannifah or imam shafe
Old October 24, 2005, 02:04 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

Quote:
Originally posted by oracle
External item

Want to get some concrete feedback, especially about medicines that contain alcohol. Is phensidyl haram when you need it for coughs?
The link author Mesbah Uddin has attempted to compare two verses with his view of which is allowed and which is forbidden. Looks like he has set his mind that Allah is bound to use exact words in every place Allah forbids.

Also, Mesbah Uddin does not care much about hadith, because he follows the deviated believe that hadith cannot be relied upon. His article is an example, that those who elimiate hadith can actually twist and interpret Quran as he pleases. 1400 years later, our so called Bangladeshi "Muslims" are re-inventing Islam! If Mesbah Uddin's version of Islam to be true, everything we practiced for over 1400 years of Islam is wrong!

Quran has been explain by Nabi(saw) thru actions, sayings, all of which have been preserved in hadith.

Quran says:

O ye who believe! Strong drinks and games of chance and idols and divining of arrows are only an infamy of Satan's handiwork. Leave it aside in order that ye may succeed. Satan seeketh only to cast among you enmity and hatred
by means of strong drink and games of chance, and turn you from rememberance of Allah and from (His) worship. So will ye not then abstain. (Qur'aan 5:90-91)

Hadith:

Ibn Umar (Radhiallaahu Anhu) reported the Messenger of Allah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) as saying, 'Every intoxicant is Khamr and every intoxicant
is Haraam (forbidden)' (Bukhari and Muslim)

Aaisha (Radhiallaahu Anha) said that when Allah's messenger was asked about bit which is the nabidh (drink made from dates, raisins, honey), from honey,
he replied, 'Every liquor which intoxicates is forbidden.' (Bukhari and Muslim)

Jaabir (Radhiallaahu Anhu) reported the messenger of Allah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) as saying, 'If a large amount of anything causes intoxication, a small amount of it is prohibited.' (Abu Dawud)

Aaisha (Radhiallaahu Anha) reported Allah's messenger as saying, 'If a faraq (faraq is about eight kilograms) of anything causes intoxication, a handful of it is forbidden.' (Abu Dawud)

Umar (Radhiallaahu Anhu) narrates, 'I heard from the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam), 'He who believes in Allah and the last day should not sit at a table at which people drink.' (ibn Maajah)

Opinion of the Scholars on where Alcohol is allowed:

Question:
I am doing a business of perfumes containing alcohol,such business is allowed or not in Islam? please answer me in view of Quran and Hadith Wasalaam

Answer:

If the alcohol in the perfumes is synthetic, then it is permissible to sell such perfumes.

The income from the sales of such perfumes will be permissible.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Source: askimam.org

Question:

I heard a relative of mine saying that if you use an alcoholic perfume spray from some distance for example 10 centimeters, it is permissible for you to pray with the same clothes & even you can pray in the Masjid. He says that he has confirmed this with an imam also. What my belief is any perfume which includes alcohol is haraam to use on your body or your clothes, as alcohol is haraam. So please advice in this matter. JazaakAllahKhair. Also, I would like to know the exact translation of ?And ALLAH knows the best? in Arabic.

Answer:

The use of the spray that contains alcohol (denatured) is permissible and does not make the clothes najas (impure), hence, one can make Salaah. The type of alcohol that is used in the spray is not that is used in the beverages and the like.

The translation of Allah knows best which would be transliterated as "Allah hu A'lam".

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Shaykh Irshaad Amod
FATWA DEPT.

CHECKED & APPROVED: Mufti Imraan Vawda
Source Askimam.org

Question:

Is it permissible to use a perfume, deodorant, etc. which contains alcohol, and if so, can one perform Salaat without washing it off?

Answer:

It is not permissible to use deodorants that contain alcohol from grapes or date extracts. Such perfumes are impure and Salaat with it is invalid. However, if the alcohol is synthetic, it is pure and permissible to use. Salaat without washing off such perfumes will be valid. Sometimes, it becomes difficult to differentiate between genuine and synthetic alcohol. Thus, to be on the safe side, one should rather prefer using deodorants and perfumes that are labelled as ?alcohol-free?, especially when such perfumes are easily available.

Mufti M Saeed Motara
Azaadville, South Africa
Askimam.org
Old October 24, 2005, 02:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Correlation between Quranic verses where strong drink causing intoxication is forbidden and the opinions of the scholars regarding the use of perfumes/deorderant containing alcohol is very interesting...
Old October 24, 2005, 02:38 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Dawah, you should send your post as a comment to the article (look at the bottom of the article)
Old October 24, 2005, 03:21 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

Quote:
Originally posted by Rubu
Dawah, you should send your post as a comment to the article (look at the bottom of the article)
That website bangladesh-web publishes this type of articles all the time. Last time they published some utter baseless accusations agains Nabi(saw), I did email them with facts. But they never responsed nor the baseless/factless article was removed. There are MANY websites like this.

I am guessing the owner of the site or the editor is out there to prove Islam is wrong. If this is there agenda, then nothing constructive can be done.

What tragic is, Bangladeshis are already one of the most ill-educated about Islam among the Muslims. In one hand avg Bangladeshis have no clue about Islam and on the other these type of Bangladeshi media is publishing baseless articles of some random authors on Islam. The effect is severe, to confuse the yet confused people.

Even in the west our dear Bangladeshi Muslims never fail to show of their knowledge about Islam. Fact about Bangladeshis in the west:

1. If you are a Bangladeshi Muslim, then you need to make sure you never go to Masjid, unless you are dead, and your dead body is taken for Janaza or if your brother/sister/father/mother died and you cannot help but go to Masjid for janaza, otherwise people will speak ill of you.

2. You might go to Jummah Salat, because it is a nice gathering to meet other Bangladeshis. Bangladeshis do not go to Jummah for the purpose of Ibadah, but the purpose of meeting other Bangladeshis.

3. Even when you go for Jummah, you need to make sure, you reach there after khutbah finishes. Like load-store architecture, last in - 1st out.
Old October 24, 2005, 03:33 PM
Banned

Mesbah Uddin wants a sip. The idiot want Koran to justify it...I'm gonna send his name to the Ayatollahs. It's time for another [MOD.Edit - NO implied threats please] in absentia...

Edited on, October 24, 2005, 11:00 PM GMT, by RazabQ.
Reason: mod.content implied threats
Old October 24, 2005, 03:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Yes, another informative and well backed up response from Dawah. Thanks for it.
The article does indeed sow some doubts. NFB should post all the responses so that the reader gets a whole picture.
Old October 24, 2005, 06:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by billah
Mesbah Uddin wants a sip. The idiot want Koran to justify it...I'm gonna send his name to the Ayatollahs. It's time for another [MOD.Edit - NO implied threats please] in absentia...

Edited on, October 24, 2005, 11:00 PM GMT, by RazabQ.
Reason: mod.content implied threats
RazabQ: If this is considered "implied threat", then I think you should erase that whole line. Please feel free to do so. Although, I don't agree to the edit. I was just trying to point to the Salman Rushdi thing...
Old October 24, 2005, 10:17 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
The use of the spray that contains alcohol (denatured) is permissible and does not make the clothes najas (impure), hence, one can make Salaah. The type of alcohol that is used in the spray is not that is used in the beverages and the like.
I was wondering why synthetic alcohol is permissable and came across this:

"Cetyl alcohol is a long chain alcohol which is solid hence obviously not drinkabale nor does it cause intoxication if at all ingested. Therefore, it is halal to use in cosmetic products. It is also not absorbed through the skin when applied as a cream.

However, Synthetic Ethyl Alcohol, which is a short chain alcohol (C2H5OH) and is a liquid, is not halal. Because it causes intoxication when ingested. As the Ulema say anything that causes intoxication even in a very small quantity will therefore be haram.

Fruits such as dates and grapes when they are putrified, produce Ethyl Alcohol which is the intoxicating agent and that is why it makes Khamr a haram drink. "

source
Old October 25, 2005, 06:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawah
Quote:
That website bangladesh-web publishes this type of articles all the time. Last time they published some utter baseless accusations agains Nabi(saw), I did email them with facts. But they never responsed nor the baseless/factless article was removed. There are MANY websites like this.

I am guessing the owner of the site or the editor is out there to prove Islam is wrong. If this is there agenda, then nothing constructive can be done.

What tragic is, Bangladeshis are already one of the most ill-educated about Islam among the Muslims. In one hand avg Bangladeshis have no clue about Islam and on the other these type of Bangladeshi media is publishing baseless articles of some random authors on Islam. The effect is severe, to confuse the yet confused people.

Even in the west our dear Bangladeshi Muslims never fail to show of their knowledge about Islam. Fact about Bangladeshis in the west:

1. If you are a Bangladeshi Muslim, then you need to make sure you never go to Masjid, unless you are dead, and your dead body is taken for Janaza or if your brother/sister/father/mother died and you cannot help but go to Masjid for janaza, otherwise people will speak ill of you.

2. You might go to Jummah Salat, because it is a nice gathering to meet other Bangladeshis. Bangladeshis do not go to Jummah for the purpose of Ibadah, but the purpose of meeting other Bangladeshis.

3. Even when you go for Jummah, you need to make sure, you reach there after khutbah finishes. Like load-store architecture, last in - 1st out.
I agree with all the points, however is this restricted to only Bangladeshis? There are plenty of Pakistanis, Arabs, and Indian Muslims who fit the bill according to your points.

I personaly have met quite a few extremely knowledgable Bangladeshi brothers in the States. In general, no one community is "more knowledgable " about islam in the US. There are practising and non-practising muslims among bangladeshis and pakistanis alike.

I will just use a random indicator, that of drinking. I never noticed Bangladeshis as a community to drink more than Pakistanis or Arabs in the West. There are plenty who shun the Masjid and drink among us and other communities alike
Old October 25, 2005, 10:19 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: আশরাফুল

Sorry i had to interrupt. Is beer haram?
It would be very hard for me to stop drinking beer.
Heineken rocks! :duh:
Old October 25, 2005, 10:57 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by TeamManager
Alcoholic or non-alcoholic beer?
Old October 25, 2005, 11:14 AM
ODI Cricketer

Alcoholic. I am just confused.
Old October 25, 2005, 11:19 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
It would be very hard for me to stop drinking beer.
Heineken rocks! :duh:
"TeamManager" screaming, "please spare me from "gono pituni" or "Dholai", I beg you"

Roja romjan'er dinay ki shob kotha batra.
Old October 25, 2005, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Quote:
Alcoholic or non-alcoholic beer?
There are some beers that they call non alchoholic but contains 1-2% alchohol. This is considered non alchoholic by many western country laws, but not by islamic laws. it is still alchohol.
Old October 25, 2005, 01:00 PM
ODI Cricketer

So all beers alocoholic? I thought beer is a kind of soft drink.
Old October 25, 2005, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Yes!

just for your own satisfection, get a beer bottle/can and read the content section. Alchohol percentages are written in clear words. usually 2-10% alchohol in beers.
Old October 26, 2005, 10:26 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Quote:
Yes!

just for your own satisfection, get a beer bottle/can and read the content section. Alchohol percentages are written in clear words. usually 2-10% alchohol in beers.
Thank you for the information. I am enlightened.
Old October 26, 2005, 11:50 AM
Test Cricketer

How abt energy drinks like redbull? is it haram?

Edited on, October 26, 2005, 4:50 PM GMT, by faceoff.
Old October 26, 2005, 01:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

alcohol is haraam...clear.

for the record, so are drugs, adultery, fornication, stealing, and murder.
Old October 26, 2005, 02:00 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally posted by faceoff

Red bull contains taurine, Taurine in any particular energy drink is derived from animals or produced synthetically . Taurine in Red Bull is synthetically derived and that the drink is suitable for vegetarians.
Old October 26, 2005, 02:06 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by reverse_swing
Quote:

Red bull contains taurine, Taurine in any particular energy drink is derived from animals or produced synthetically . Taurine in Red Bull is synthetically derived and that the drink is suitable for vegetarians.
so its halal !!!
Old October 26, 2005, 02:08 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by reverse_swing
Quote:

so its halal !!!
I think so.
Old October 26, 2005, 02:43 PM
Test Cricketer

Thanks reverse_swing. I always had a doubt but now I can drink it without hesitation.