facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 14, 2006, 08:30 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Default Asia quartet launch World Cup bid

Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka are planning to collaborate in a joint bid to host the 2011 World Cup.

Australia have taken the trophy at the last two World Cups

"We feel that given the massive following for the game in South Asia it is apt we bid jointly," Indian board president Sharad Pawar said.

The 2007 event takes place in the Caribbean and Australia were due to host the tournament after that.

But Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Shaharyar Khan says the Aussies will step aside if the South Asians bid.

If that is the case, it would be the first time more than three countries have hosted the sport's premier one-day competition.

Pakistan and India staged the 1987 World Cup, while Sri Lanka jointly hosted it with the pair in 1996.

Meanwhile, Pawar revealed that India and Pakistan have agreed to play each other every two years in the same way Australia and England do for the Ashes.

Both sides have voiced concerns that too many matches are played between them - the current Test series is the third in two years.

But Pawar said one-day series would be played every year, with some on neutral territory.

"We have some very good venues like California, United Arab Emirates and Holland where there are a large number of expatriates of both countries and they would love to watch their cricketing heroes," he added.

Khan revealed that India and Pakistan will donate 75% of proceeds from two as yet unscheduled one-dayers at neutral venues in April to the relief fund for last October's earthquake.

Source: BBC >>

Old January 14, 2006, 01:03 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i must say i am impressed with BCCI's multilateral host bid.

i just can't help but wonder if somehow they say something along the lines of "bangladesh should not host because their pitches are directed" in whatever direction they are.
Old January 14, 2006, 02:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

See ..there is always good and bad in a relation ....

You must give credit to the BCCI for its mulilateral bid ! It did the same previously ..twice in fact

I think BCCI recent overturns were met with excessive criticism on this forum...it was purely monetary based and nothing else . (remember they vouched for BD Test status ...).
Old January 14, 2006, 04:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
See ..there is always good and bad in a relation ....

You must give credit to the BCCI for its mulilateral bid ! It did the same previously ..twice in fact
yes, we, or at least i, laud BCCI for this. praise must be given where it is due.

Quote:
I think BCCI recent overturns were met with excessive criticism on this forum...it was purely monetary based and nothing else . (remember they vouched for BD Test status ...).
well, excessive, thought it may be, criticism must also be heaped where it is due. and BCCI neglecting bangladesh like a stray dog in the street was deserving of criticism. i mean australia hosted us, so who is india to not host us??? have they been given divine sanction to not host us when all other nations have? that was deserving of criticism and unless one looks at it that way they are not seeing clearly.

again, multilateral bid is a positive note indeed from India.
Old January 14, 2006, 08:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Gutted. Australia haven't held anything since 1992. Asia have held a World Cup, the ICC Knockout Trophy, one ICC Champions Trophy in Sri Lanka and another soon to come in India. You had the U19 World Cup in Bangladesh and now one's coming to Sri Lanka.

In all of this time New Zealand have hosted an U19 World Cup and as far as I know Australia have had nothing at all. India don't deserve it after the way they've treated the calendar yet Australia have done almost nothing wrong, even making room and using new venues to host nations such as Bangladesh.

I think it's outrageous that the World Cup could possibly go anywhere but Australia and/or New Zealand.
Old January 15, 2006, 09:19 AM
ODI Cricketer

As far as I know Aussie's are backing out ...

And coming to the subcontinent hosting a lot of matches ..you got see that we are 4 countries together with a viewrship folds more than Aussie or NZ ...

Follow the money ......
Old January 15, 2006, 01:10 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

CricInfo report on the same issue says:
"Australia were scheduled to host the 2011 World Cup according to the rotation policy of the ICC, but the Australian board has already indicated that it won't stand in the way of an Indian bid since the subcontinent had the capacity to generate much higher revenue from sponsorship deals. Jagmohan Dalmiya, former president of the BCCI, had strongly advocated the idea of the subcontinent hosting every third World Cup on the strength of possessing four Test playing countries. The last World Cup to be hosted in the subcontinent was in 1996. "
Old January 15, 2006, 11:26 PM
Cricket Legend

I personally don't want to wait until 2015 to see my first World Cup.
Old January 16, 2006, 03:52 AM
Street Cricketer

where will b the final??thas the question
kolkatta or Mumbai??(these r 2 venues most likely 2 host the final if the 4 test playin countries of the subcontinent host the 2011 wc....)
other venues r from all test playing nations that is dhaka in bangladesh,colombo(ssc) in srilanka,
islamabad or lahore in pakistan but will the boards come 2 n e conclusion regarding this??
Old January 16, 2006, 10:07 AM
Test Cricketer

It will be a shame if it is not hosted in Australia / New Zealand.
Old January 16, 2006, 08:42 PM
Cricket Legend

23 years between drinks is far too much for Australia/New Zealand.
Old January 17, 2006, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Aye, but have you read the recent: Australia to challenge Asia's bid:

http://www.icc-cricket.com/icc-news/...ry/233333.html

Quote:
Australia will proceed with a bid to stage the 2011 World Cup, a Cricket Australia offical said on Tuesday, despite reports that a joint Asian bid is being lined up.
Old January 17, 2006, 09:05 AM
Test Cricketer

C'mon Aussie!
Old January 17, 2006, 11:42 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Where ever it is held, all I want is to see BD make it to the second round. Ash/Aftab/Enam will be 26/27. Sakib and others 21+. Now all we need is a McGrath, Wasim.
Old January 17, 2006, 12:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

I wanna watch them play..... So probably gonna take a month off and gonna go to Bangladesh to see Bangladesh beat the crap out of everyone else....
Old January 17, 2006, 07:30 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: আশরাফুল

Cricinfo have a good news for battye and james70.

World Cup 2011

Australia to challenge Asia for World Cup

Cricinfo staff

January 17, 2006

Australia will proceed with a bid to stage the 2011 World Cup, a Cricket Australia offical said on Tuesday, despite reports that a joint Asian bid is being lined up. At the weekend it emerged that Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh were uniting to bid for the tournament, and Shaharyar Khan, the Pakistan board chairman, indicated that Australia would not challenge them.

But Peter Young, Cricket Australia's general manager of public affairs, said that was not the case. "At this stage the ICC is just asking for expressions of interest and we are interested," he told Reuters. "The deadline is February and we will be going ahead with that."

The Australian bid could be in association with New Zealand, and Young said that they were confident they would be a strong candidate. "We haven't hosted the World Cup since 1992 and we have all the facilities and personnel to stage an event of this size again," he said. "We're exploring the option of a joint bid with New Zealand but if necessary we could go alone."

For the first time since the first World Cup in 1975, member nations are being asked to bid for hosting rights. The 2007 tournament in the Caribbean will be the last to be staged under a gentleman's agreement struck by the ICC which meant the event staging was rotated.

© Cricinfo

Source: CI
Old January 17, 2006, 09:22 PM
Cricket Legend

I do not want to share any thing with this bigot board BCCI. So I would support Aus bid. Beside our Batsmen/ Bowlers are much better playing overseas. So I would support any bid where we are not host.
Old January 17, 2006, 10:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Great news I really do think we should get it. I also think we should host it with New Zealand. They don't have the facilities to host it by themselves so the only way possible is a joint event with Australia. I'm all for it.
Old January 17, 2006, 11:39 PM

I personally like to see Australia and New Zealand hosting 2011 World Cup. It's weird to see hosting a World Cup hardly of 10 nations, in 4 different country. Besides World Cup may lose it's surge by playing so many different countries at the same time, and the people of those countries may not see world's star players highest climax all together on their field.
Old January 18, 2006, 09:49 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Australia bid will be favored by ICC. The only reason being is India-Pak bid is conditional. They do not want to share the profit with ICC. Money again the key factor.