facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 20, 2006, 05:47 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Only Solution For Ashraful

We all have a love hate relationship with Ash as when he comes up with a good innings, we cant get enough of him and no praise is too much for him, but when he gets out to playing plain, irresponsible and stupid shots, we all want to kick his little a$$ and that includes myself.

Now, he appears to me to be under IMMENSE PRESSURE as when he was batting yesterday, the look in his eyes showed how scared he was.
Obviously the fact that he gets out to playing idiotic shots more often than not, is his own fault, but another factor also needs to be taken into account.

He is single handedly carrying on his shoulders, the hopes and expectations of an entire nation.

He is well aware of this fact that every time he is out in the middle, more than 140 million people, including all the well wishers of Bd Cricket from other nations hold their breath for poor Ashraful to conjure up a MIRACLE.

Under such pressure and microscopic scrutiny, the poor little soul is absolutely petrified of failure and this as a direct result is causing his downfall.

Now, the only solution I see for Ashraful is to lift this burden of expectations from his shoulders and give him a license to thrill.

A role similar to that of Shahid Afridi or Virender Sewag.

As I have said on many many ocassions before, he should always come in as an opener in an ODI and play his natural aggressive way when the restrictions are in place and the chances are that he will get us in to a very very good position by scoring runs very quickly.

Of course, the other possibility is that he will get out playing too many shots as well, but then whats the point of him prodding and pushing and then getting out with a very low score anyway.

I know that he has been tried as an opener before and failed, but lets just persevere with him a little longer.

Old April 20, 2006, 06:17 AM
Club Cricketer

Well written.
Old April 20, 2006, 07:04 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Umpires

no way. Banglar shomman aro beshi mulloban ei gadhatar cheye. I dont want him to score after 20 matches. Rather I have someone who scores 30 in every matches
Old April 20, 2006, 08:05 AM
Cricket Guru

get him married. He will be fixed. but not sure if he will stay in the team and perform according to coach but he will listen to a tough wife. Then it's upto him to rectify or stay in BD team or leave us w/o any expectations.
Old April 20, 2006, 09:01 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by deshpremi
Now, he appears to me to be under IMMENSE PRESSURE as when he was batting yesterday, the look in his eyes showed how scared he was.
I viewed it differently. I thought he was mocking the bowlers and making faces. He was in total control while batting. The only problem was he had a ticket for a 6pm show.
Old April 20, 2006, 12:59 PM
Test Cricketer

Let him play danda-gooly in the Lancashire league. He may keep the local boys in good humor hitting a few big shots against weekend cricketers. But leave us alone! We cannot forever agonise over what could have been. We will invest our dreams on only those who really want to learn from their mistakes and improve.
Old April 20, 2006, 01:08 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

I think its time for him to sit on the side-lines again for another year or two. It seems to have worked for Rajin...
Old April 20, 2006, 01:39 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

It is really a togh job to find a soltuion for Ashraful. Giving him a break might be a good one but may not work (can harm as well). We do not want to lose Ashraful thats for sure because he can bring a lot of magical moments to BD cricket. I think he should go through a sereis of psychotherapy to build his temperament. He looked scared in the second test, true, but he got himself out in a stupid way. How can a scared player play such a stupid shot when only four over is left??? I do not understand.

I am hoping (and also praying) Ashraful will do better in ODIs. As we will only play ODIs before WC, it is very important to have an inform Ashraful in WC and ICC Champions trophy.
Old April 20, 2006, 01:59 PM
ODI Cricketer

Very well written "deshpremi".
Old April 20, 2006, 02:00 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

psychotherapy questionaire for Ashraful:
1. What is the most important part of test cricket batting? a) Individual performance, b) partnership.
2. How would you like to treat Brett Lee's bouncer? a) hook, b) duck c) let it pass.
3. How many runs do you want to score in Warne's 1st over? a) 36, b) maiden.
4. Is strike rate important in test cricket? a) Yes, b) No.
5. Do you want to hold the record for fastest test 50, 100? a) Yes, b) No c) don't care.
6. Do you always hold 6pm show tickets on game day? a) Yes, b) No.
7. Is there anyway we can convince you to watch the 9pm show instead of the 6? a) No, b) May be c) no more show for me.
All of his answers may be a)'s where as, we the fans, would want him to say anything but a).

Last edited by Tigers_eye; April 20, 2006 at 02:09 PM..
Old April 20, 2006, 02:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Send him to complete his sessions with Monalisa first.

Apart from Joke, yes, it is crucial for him as well as BD team to get back him in form (or I should say, get him upto a consistent level as he never performed consistently). Noboday can deny that this guy can cut any bowling attack into pieces on his day. He is telented but not brilliant. Brilliants get the temparment by playing 1or 2 years. Probably he needs to wait another year or two to place the word 'temparment' in his brain. Ask him to play two double century innings in lower grade of cricket and then return.
Old April 20, 2006, 02:19 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara & Ashraful

Hi SS,

You said it proper. He needs to get married. After all behind a great man there is a woman.
Old April 20, 2006, 02:26 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahms
Hi SS,

You said it proper. He needs to get married. After all behind a great man there is a woman.
Unless that great man's name is either Nafis Iqbal or Mushfiq Rahman(?)
Old April 20, 2006, 02:37 PM
ODI Cricketer

Come on. Ashraful is a Lara of Bangladesh. He is going thru tough time with bat, but he plays with class, pritty much in command of the ball. Not to compare him with anyone according to stats, please.
Old April 20, 2006, 02:42 PM
Cricket Sage

lol You missed my point ahms.

My comaparison of Nafis and Mushfiq with Ashraful is not directly related to their playing style or record but rather to the comment that "Ashraful need to get married."

Some cases it doesn't work... Nafis and Musfiq are the examples where their career took a u-turn just after they got married.

Last edited by Fazal; April 20, 2006 at 02:53 PM..
Old April 20, 2006, 02:58 PM
ODI Cricketer

Wow, sad stats hah. But Ash is better batsman than them by far. What I am trying to figure out is why he is failing although he has all shots in the world. May be marriage will calm him down a bit, in a way his shot selection will be better, thus technically sound.
Old April 20, 2006, 03:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

marriage will calm him down?? hehe... I am not so sure about that.... but then again, amar boro bhaiera bhalo bolte parben
Old April 20, 2006, 03:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

Well, It does, but any way, Ash needs to stop playing with a rush of blood. I wish him all the best.
Old April 20, 2006, 04:08 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Sakib

So now the team should try to play him as an opener and let him play his natural game ("Sahid Afridi" like). How about just don't play him at all?????????
We have good players other than Ash to bring us victory. We don't need bang-bang-out; what we need is players who can tough it out and win games.
Ash knows very well that all he needs to do is keep playing "bang-bang" and get lucky once-in-a-while and everybody will jump in joy for him. How much does this help the BD team?
Old April 20, 2006, 04:52 PM
Club Cricketer

Absolutly, if we are going to play him, then play him as an opener.

I can fully understand your hostile feelings towards Ashraful and cannot blame anyone for wanting him dropped from the team.

But we have to be realistic as there is no one waiting in the wing who can replace him at this moment in time.

True, some one else might spend a little longer in the middle and get a handful more runs than him, but there is no one out there in the BD team who possess an ability to change the outcome of an ODI match other than this rascal, villain, plonker, (call him what you like) or sometimes genius.
Old April 20, 2006, 05:13 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS
get him married. He will be fixed. but not sure if he will stay in the team and perform according to coach but he will listen to a tough wife. Then it's upto him to rectify or stay in BD team or leave us w/o any expectations.
are you serious?

look at what happend to Nafis Iqbal........

I don't think they are able to score on the field if they get the chance to score off the field at such a young age. :p
Old April 20, 2006, 05:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Sending a player, who is running low on confidence, to open batting for the team !!! It is always a bad idea.
Old April 20, 2006, 06:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

He needs to see a psycologist. not just him, whole team.

He is a great batsman but just needs to play accordingly to the situation. he looks frustated all the time
Old April 20, 2006, 06:17 PM
ODI Cricketer

What I did not get was you could see Ashraful was going to attack and Aftab was going to defend. So why not swap them round, people might say what difference might it make every little bit makes a difference.
Old April 20, 2006, 06:18 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Sakib

Ash or whomever is not going to perform if they can not even understand themselves. And why do some of you think we do not have any other options besides Ash? No one can help Ash if he doesn't help himself and national team should bare such a huge cost of keeping him around while he is just rolling the dice to land a 6. Let him sit out and sort himself out and then he can be given a chance.