facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 8, 2004, 12:26 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.
Default BD-\'A\' and BD-under 23 team announced

The BD-A team and under 23-team has been announced ( bangladesher khela is reproting ) to play the visiting Zim-'A' team in coming weeks. The A team has got eight players from the national team and few players from the under-19 ranks, including pacers shahadat and Nazmul. Nafis Iqbal is there too. Under-23 team has a lot of players from the recent under-19 team. This is very good. The level of competiton from the opponents will be better and thats the only way you can prepare the youngsters of future

Old March 8, 2004, 12:28 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer
Default THIS IS NOT GOOD

EIGHT (8) players of the National Team to play for the Bangladesh 'A' team?

THIS IS NOT GOOD.
Old March 8, 2004, 12:40 PM
Cricket Guru

The good part being the youngsters being promoted.

National team players also need some practice time before they head towards the west indies. The whole Zim tour was a bust. Gotta get them some playing time.
Old March 8, 2004, 12:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Default why not

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
EIGHT (8) players of the National Team to play for the Bangladesh 'A' team?

THIS IS NOT GOOD.
These 8 players probably are not performing as expected by bd selector; they are giving them more time to prepare them for the upcoming tour in the West Indies.
Old March 8, 2004, 12:43 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza
Default sujon in A team

We need sujon in A team. That would give him a chance to perform and come back to national team if he deserve it. and also, won't take a place in national team if he doesn't deserve it.
Old March 8, 2004, 12:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
We need sujon in A team. That would give him a chance to perform and come back to national team if he deserve it. and also, won't take a place in national team if he doesn't deserve it.
yes, i agree with you. i think he is in it.
Old March 8, 2004, 12:46 PM
Cricket Guru

Those eight players are :
Hannan, Biddut, Rajin, Ashraul, Alok, Rana,Rokon and Tareq.

shujon is left out.
Old March 8, 2004, 12:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

Yes all players are young and also talented I think this should be the right decission.will get more practice.

Old March 8, 2004, 12:59 PM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
These 8 players probably are not performing as expected by bd selector;
So we should let them play more and more? Don't they deserve some rest or something?

Consider this example. We are all more or less students here. So I think this example will clarify my point. When I give exams of one subject, and my results are not as good as expected, then should I give the same exam over and over again, so that my exam will turn out to be better someday?

In my view, that's not the case. However, what it will do to Bangladesh cricket as a whole is that only certain players getting chances to prove themselves over and over again, and failing, and those players who don't get so many chances, they're deprived of showing their ability against foreign teams.

And one day, it'll happen like this - we will run out of quality players, and our pool-base will be so limited, that we'll have to strive hard to make one replacement, in case somebody in the national pool base is injured.
Old March 8, 2004, 01:15 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

yeah maybe we coulda had players from the recently finished national league. there are a bunch of players in the league that are playing really good, but aren't getting picked up for the national team.

yup way too much cricket for our national players.
Old March 8, 2004, 01:19 PM
ODI Cricketer

26 players have been chosen for the A team. It's very much possible that two different teams will play the two 4-day matches under the banner of "A" team. IMHO opinion our players should play other A teams as much as possible. This will give them the chance to play long innings against standard opponents. The national players hardly get a chance for long innings. Usually the other test teams are too good for them. For us to have a realisitc chance to earn our first test victory we should first be able to beat the A teams regularly. The Zimbabwe A tour gives us that chance. BCCB desrves a big pat on the back for arranging this A tour.

And the under 23 team is probably the under 19 team. Because most of the players are under 19.

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by Optimist]
Old March 8, 2004, 01:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Default No rest!

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
Quote:
These 8 players probably are not performing as expected by bd selector;
So we should let them play more and more? Don't they deserve some rest or something?

Consider this example. We are all more or less students here. So I think this example will clarify my point. When I give exams of one subject, and my results are not as good as expected, then should I give the same exam over and over again, so that my exam will turn out to be better someday?

In my view, that's not the case. However, what it will do to Bangladesh cricket as a whole is that only certain players getting chances to prove themselves over and over again, and failing, and those players who don't get so many chances, they're deprived of showing their ability against foreign teams.

And one day, it'll happen like this - we will run out of quality players, and our pool-base will be so limited, that we'll have to strive hard to make one replacement, in case somebody in the national pool base is injured.
Cricket is not like American football or like soccer are fairly easy sports. Can you imagine playing soccer full 90 minutes five day in a row? I don’t think so. Probably only sports you can manage to play are baseball or golf. There is not too much running going on in cricket that is why players could stay on the field whole day without getting tired. Beside BD cricketer need more practice than another national cricketer because they always making the same mistake over and over again.
Old March 8, 2004, 02:35 PM
Test Cricketer

In regard to exams for students, Bd's upcoming WI tour is the exam. Hence if they get a chance to prepare for the exam by playing A teams, even better!
2 different BD A teams out of 26 will give everyone a good chance to prove their claim for a place in the team. It's a good chance for Alok specially to come back to form and i personally think Rokon's days are numbered (what a shame that would be). Ideally i would like to see those who performed well in the national league keep playing good consistantly to create a healthy compition for places. It seems talha is still injured ( is he kinda injury prone player?) and i can't remember but is that guy who scored a century against NZ U-19 (practice match) in the U-23 team?
Old March 8, 2004, 02:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Beamer

shujon is left out.
Good picks I'd say. I don't see anything wrong with letting these players play. I'm afraid fw's examination analogy doesn't apply here. These players are not being given chances to prove themselves, but given more practise opportunities. As a matter of fact, I have a feeling, this will work. Notice that both Hannan and Bidyut are in the side. Coincidence? Think not. Opening has been a problem for us in the recent times, except for the 1st inns. in the 2nd test vs Zim. I think they are trying to let these openers out in the turf again and try to install a solid opening bond. Alok needs match practice bigtime. This rained out Zimbo series left Alok wanting for some serious match practice. Rajin? Well I'm not quite sure what he is doing there. He is the vice-captain of the National Team. Didn't really like his inclusion. Rokon has been silent for a long time, so he is the perfect "A" teamer. Tareq had a fairly good african tour, and I believe they are trying to groom him up with some more match practice. Same goes with Rana. Having more match practice, so that we don't falter in the big matches that actually matter. Notice that there's only one bowler. So perhaps the board has a specific strategy as to let the batsmen have more knocks out there.
Old March 8, 2004, 02:50 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Zephaniah
i can't remember but is that guy who scored a century against NZ U-19 (practice match) in the U-23 team?
Ashraful Haq is the guy who batted brilliantly for BKSP against NZ U-19; Shahryar Nafis is the guy who scored a century for CCDM against Indian U-19;
Old March 8, 2004, 03:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Nazmul and Shahadat are getting a lot of practice. But what about the spinners? What is the breakdown of type of bowlers?
Old March 8, 2004, 06:29 PM
First Class Cricketer

Our team need to practice against Quality opponent. I suggest, invite A team from different nations like India, Australia or send our A team to different countries. We need to have about 20 to 30 cricketers attend in the A team in a rotation. If we can bring 30 players in good international standard then other leage players can be benefitted by playing against them.

Dav and McInnes are doing the best they can. At the same time we need to concentrate to build a reliable core of number of players more than 11. This will help us in long run like 5 years. Every test cricketer country has program to create new talent. We cannot be beat in that game for our future sake.

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by sage]
Old March 9, 2004, 04:06 AM
Club Cricketer

Default BD A Team

Aminul and Mehrab deserve a recall for BD A team. Sharyar Hossain and Ashraful are getting reasonable practice in Namibia and Zimbabwe. They have done Ok there. So, I don't see any reason to demote them to BD A team. Those 2 places can go to Aminul and Mehrab. Aminul is doing reasonably well in Australia for Ivanhoe cricket club.
Old March 9, 2004, 04:09 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by sasharif
Aminul and Mehrab deserve a recall for BD A team. Sharyar Hossain and Ashraful are getting reasonable practice in Namibia and Zimbabwe. They have done Ok there. So, I don't see any reason to demote them to BD A team. Those 2 places can go to Aminul and Mehrab. Aminul is doing reasonably well in Australia for Ivanhoe cricket club.
Do you know his stat? If you do, can you post it kindly.
Old March 9, 2004, 04:13 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Stats

I know about last 2 outings Aminul had for Ivanhoe (from internet). He scored 52 n.o and 38 n.o respectively. Not a great score, but how many of our batsmen score even that much!
Old March 9, 2004, 04:29 AM
First Class Cricketer

It will be great to see him back. Thanx.
Old March 9, 2004, 09:58 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Zimbabwe A has 7 test players amongst its ranks. So it too will be a pseudo-national team!!!
Old March 9, 2004, 10:11 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza
Default Why?

Quote:
Originally posted by Beamer

shujon is left out.
i do'nt get it. aren't they national team player? i mean rajin is the vc, ash and rana are aslo in best 11 for sure. others are too more or less. why are they in a team. i think its not fair to take players from national team to put in A team when these players has position there. i mean a player should not have position in both team at the same time. about experiments though, i'm not in favore of giving too much chances to new players. we do change players a lot and before they can really get experienced and perform.
Old March 9, 2004, 11:11 AM
ODI Cricketer

None of the Current test team players will be available for the first 4-day match. The match starts on March 17. And the national team returns only on March 16. It will be a good thing to see what our actual A team does against the Zimbabwe A team. The U-23s (U-19s!) will also have a chance to showcase their talent in the longer version. I would love to see Pakistan and India-A teams in Bangladesh. It will be a wonderful opportunity to groom future players. I was disappointed to see that only one player has been rewarded for the national league performance. However the good thing is that he is a lefty and he is a batsman!

[Edited on 9-3-2004 by Optimist]
Old March 9, 2004, 03:42 PM
Cricket Legend

The reason there are 8 test player in the squad is explained in this article-

Selectors name strong A team