facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 14, 2007, 12:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Default OLD Thread 14/2: A Congratulations to the Selectors

I am seeing so many threads on the reactions of the public, ex-players, SMS, care-taker goverment etc. etc.about the exclusion of Pilot for the WC squad which is quite expected for an immotional nation like BD. On the other hand, great to see that the many members in BC are not flowing with the imotional wave saying "Pilot did so much for the country that he should get a chance". Tell me few resons why should Pilot be included in the team. But I can imagine what went through the mind of Selectors while excluding him. Some of those could be -

- Did he play a single good innings in last 6 months?
- Has he the ability to play a match winning innings?
- Is he an exceptional wicket keeper who can dismiss a batsman with regular increadible performance?
- Is it the experience all should be counted? What role can experience play if the word 'form' is not there?
- Is he a good team man? (you know what I mean).
- Should we need to include him in the team because he 'was' good?

..........and so on.
You can add many questions as you want. As I said in some of my post seperate threads, this is nothing but complete imotion that is driving BD people to shout for PIlot. Come on guys, be professional and look at the world. There is no place of immotion if you want to go forward. We have no intension to disregard the contribution of Pilot to BD so far. We salute him for all his great finghtining contribution that thrilled us with respect. However, one has to remember, you can not just sit and cry for your co-solder/firend who has died in the field of battle. If you want to win the war, forget about the deadbody, leave it there - and go forward to grab the win. End of the day when you will be a winner, you will difinitely remember the contribution of those morter.

A big congratulations to the selectors for taking such a big and brave and bold decision that can only bring good and pride for the country. Let's thank them for their enterprise and wish all the best to our beloved team. Thank you selectors.

-

Last edited by sar2005; March 18, 2007 at 03:24 PM..

Old February 14, 2007, 01:08 PM
Banned

I think the long hand of Tarek Rahman conspired to keep his cuty Bogra boy Mushfiq in the team at the expense of KM. I think people should go out a agitate against the continuing influence of the BNP govt. This is absolutely unacceptable.
Old February 14, 2007, 01:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Well-said sar2005.
Old February 14, 2007, 01:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundit
I think the long hand of Tarek Rahman conspired to keep his cuty Bogra boy Mushfiq in the team at the expense of KM. I think people should go out a agitate against the continuing influence of the BNP govt. This is absolutely unacceptable.

Have you got any hint of clue for this conspiracy?
Old February 14, 2007, 01:28 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Blaming on Tarek is as lame as it gets. He is having a hard time trying to save his own butt, let alone try to save Musfiq's. This also tarnishes all the achievement the boy had in the age level and in the senior level. including the 115 against Norhampshire, the 18* at home and 42 and 57 at Zim when the team really needed him to step up.
Old February 14, 2007, 01:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

I thought Pundit was being sarcastic in his post.
Old February 14, 2007, 01:37 PM
Cricket Legend

i dont even feel like watching or following the world cup anymore. wat did mushfiq do? play 2 good innings against zimbabwe!!!!!! good job.
Old February 14, 2007, 01:43 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaltuRidwanBhai
i dont even feel like watching or following the world cup anymore. wat did mushfiq do? play 2 good innings against zimbabwe!!!!!! good job.
What did Pilot do recently? Care to explain?

Old February 14, 2007, 01:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaltuRidwanBhai

WOW what a big fan of Pilot!! so u only wanted to watch WC so that u would be able to see your dashing wkt keeper? Thanks god that some one like you will not watch the WC anymore...Ok just kedding.

The selectors where looking for a batsman wktkeeper
In that category whom will you put first?
Yeah mushfiq didn't do exceptional work but Pilots form is so bad aborad and home that he didn't need to. Just think if he had made single 50 in the home games or any number of 20's in 30 balls in any intl it would have become very hard to give mushfiq a chance... SO blame no one... and please watch the WC pilot is not that good looking either. I think you will find Musfiq is more smart and dashing then him...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old February 14, 2007, 01:51 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

No sir, the selectors do not deserve any congratulation at all. The first year or so into their tenure they did a splendid job, it seemed even more splendid because we had the raw memory of the work of previous board. but then, pretty much everything went wayward. Lately, they are doing more things wrong than right. Keep in mind, due to McInnes' effort, they had quite a few players ready for picking. That made their job awefully easy. Still they have massed up on several occasions. Need I give some examples? I think its about time we get some of the other late legends such as bulbul, nannu or akram a chance into the selection board.
Old February 14, 2007, 02:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Quote:
LOL. thats funny. It looks like selectors tried the 3rd pacer spot, the keeper and the 2nd opener with new guys and they were satisfied with the keeper only. They picked Tamim as a wild card "jodi laiga jai". They can justify all their selections with their philosophy. Most people in the board can't. Most old players, like Lipu, can't either. Lipu should be barred from any decision making process of BD cricket forever because of that comment.
Old February 14, 2007, 02:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

they don't deserve that. they picked javed
Old February 14, 2007, 02:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
No sir, the selectors do not deserve any congratulation at all. The first year or so into their tenure they did a splendid job, it seemed even more splendid because we had the raw memory of the work of previous board. but then, pretty much everything went wayward. Lately, they are doing more things wrong than right. Keep in mind, due to McInnes' effort, they had quite a few players ready for picking. That made their job awefully easy. Still they have massed up on several occasions. Need I give some examples? I think its about time we get some of the other late legends such as bulbul, nannu or akram a chance into the selection board.
he he if you put those three in the panel then we will see only 9 players as they won't agree on the other 6...
Old February 14, 2007, 02:19 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

By hook or by crook, I believe in this case the ends justify the means. Get over it cry babies. Its just 3 games. The world cup is an inconsequential event to Bangladesh. If Mashud is good enough he will first perform and then get his place back. He is been cashing on his 'experience' x factor for far too long. A team of our stature were simply overburdened with that baggage. If he really is as indispensable as everyone makes him out to be, then have no worries. No force can leave him out forever!
Old February 14, 2007, 02:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Including Tamim right before the world cup or including Javed Omar in the World cup don't deserve any kind words. Then again, atleast they had the balls to go with Mushfiq. I have to give them some credit for that. Other than that, they could've done better.
Old February 14, 2007, 02:34 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar2005
- Did he play a single good innings in last 6 months?

-
Why its 6 monhts?...why not look at last one year performance? How many times did he bat in last 6 months anyway? Most of the time we were winning by 7-8 wickets. Why dont u just look at his performance of last year only against a better quality opposition? How did he do against Australia last year?

Mushfique just played good againt Zimababwe after promoting in the batting position? Was Mashud ever promoted after showing a good performance at number 7?

Pilot did not do much in the domestic league. What have Mushfique done in the domestic league?
"It is Allah who takes away the souls at the time of their death, and [the souls] of those that do not die during their sleep. He retains those souls for which He has ordained death, whereas He releases the rest for an appointed term. Verily, in this are signs for a people who think deeply." (39:42)
Old February 14, 2007, 02:37 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing
What did Pilot do recently? Care to explain?
Just check the last scorecard where BD played against a quality attack and the top/middle ordered collapsed
"It is Allah who takes away the souls at the time of their death, and [the souls] of those that do not die during their sleep. He retains those souls for which He has ordained death, whereas He releases the rest for an appointed term. Verily, in this are signs for a people who think deeply." (39:42)
Old February 14, 2007, 02:39 PM
Cricket Guru

I see 4/5 players out of the TEAM after the wc.

Musfiq as a keeper (he still might be in the team as a batsman)
Goola (he will retire from ODI)
Rajin (better players r here we don't need experience before next WC )
Ashrafull (no comment)
Hablu (in 1/2 years not right away)
Old February 14, 2007, 02:41 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mridul
Why its 6 monhts?...why not look at last one year performance? How many times did he bat in last 6 months anyway? Most of the time we were winning by 7-8 wickets. Why dont u just look at his performance of last year only against a better quality opposition? How did he do against Australia last year?

Mushfique just played good againt Zimababwe after promoting in the batting position? Was Mashud ever promoted after showing a good performance at number 7?

Pilot did not do much in the domestic league. What have Mushfique done in the domestic league?

So far from memory i can say he was promoted at least in one macth and made below 5. (but the position was still 5/6). Ok look at his performance for the last year? what do u see?

We don't need him anymore to save our faces from Lojja anymore. He gave us that in WC2003 a lot more. I think we can't top that...
Old February 14, 2007, 02:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
I welcome your suggestion of inclusion of Nannu, Akram or Bulbul. The congratulation I conveyed is only for a specific decision which I found very brave and honest. I did not feel good seeing my of my brothers are in the street protesting the decision. Things are going further astry when care-taker govt. is commenting on the issues. I thought they (the selectors) definitely need some support this time which they deuly deserve.
Old February 14, 2007, 02:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
they don't deserve that. they picked javed
again, that's a seperate issue and I mostly agree with you. My congratulations is on the issue against which SMS voting and street protest is going on.
Old February 14, 2007, 02:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Just check the last scorecard where BD played against a quality attack and the top/middle ordered collapsed

Can you mention his performance in that particular match, please?
Old February 14, 2007, 02:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaring tigerz
By hook or by crook, I believe in this case the ends justify the means. Get over it cry babies. Its just 3 games. The world cup is an inconsequential event to Bangladesh. If Mashud is good enough he will first perform and then get his place back. He is been cashing on his 'experience' x factor for far too long. A team of our stature were simply overburdened with that baggage. If he really is as indispensable as everyone makes him out to be, then have no worries. No force can leave him out forever!
Nicely said. Couple of centuries by him in the domestic competition will bring him back again in the squad. Let him to show that first.
Old February 14, 2007, 02:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
Was Mashud ever promoted after showing a good performance at number 7?
Okay lets look at it then. He did play two innings at number 5 and an innings at number 4 but didn't do much. That probably answer why he never bat up the order again.

Played number 5 against New Zealand and was bowled for 4 runs.
Played number 5 against India and was LBW for 12 runs.
Played number 4 against Kenya in 2003 World cup and was caught for 14 runs (41 balls)

He was never a top order quality batsman and thats why he never played up the order.
Old February 14, 2007, 03:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Alright, let's take last one year. Would you please take the pain to dig his stat in last one year for all level of cricket? I was not only refering to the performance in national team, but also any kind of cricket. While talking about Mushfiq, yes he is also not a high performer in the domestic league but last few matches he played for BD was crucial. BD team throwed challenges to him by promoting him in the order while BD was struggling. He accepted the challenge and showed his tempartment (Let's keep aside his professional career - the way he has come to this stage through different age groups). I can remember that Pilot was promoted in many occassion and he was failed always while promoted.

Alright, if the category 'Match Winner' has 10 points in two sub-category (Batting 6 and Keeping 4), how would you mark them?

My marking would be -
Pilot - Batting 2 + Keeping 3 > Total 5
Mushfiq - Batting 4 + Keeping 2 > Total 6