facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 22, 2008, 03:01 PM
Club Cricketer

Default Bangladesh should change their approach

Winning test is all about taking 20 wickets.

Against South Africa Bangladesh added one more Batsman at the cost of one more bowler. Added Habibul Bashar/Shahriar Nafees in place of Razzak/Sajidul.

Not sure this negative approach is going to help Bangladesh in the long run. If seven batsmen can not do the job (including a wicket keeper and an all rounder) then ten batsmen can't do it either. Whereas adding another bowler would make a huge difference. I was feeling the absence of Razzak here.

Bangladesh should get rid of this negative approach as soon as possible. Play Test, to win it. Not to loose with respectability. Loss is a loss. No matter how you loose it. Adding an extra batsman (another shabby 10-11 runs from Habibul Bashar) is not going to help our cause anyway. Make sure all the batsmen in the squad do their assigned jobs rather than adding another batsman at the cost of a bowler; eventually eliminating the slightest chance of winning the Test, if there is any.

Old February 22, 2008, 03:07 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

I definitely feel that the forced inclusion of Bashar made Razzak sit out. I agree with what you said. We will be missing the service of a full time spinner in this match, particularly in the second innings. We have traded away good 25 overs from Raj in each innings for a batsman who gives you 11 scratchy runs these days. I am sure, Raj can give us those 11 runs. This has been a big blunder by the selectors and we might pay heavily for it.
Old February 22, 2008, 03:09 PM
First Class Cricketer

I think your idea about the team build up with the number of bowlers and batsmen is a valid one. The only problem is the presence of HB. He makes the case very difficult to drop a batsman. I think once he is gone, we will be able to use one extra bowler. But Raj won't do it. It should have been Enam or Rasel. I would have gone for Rasel because you don't need too many spinners since spinners can bowl for long spells.
Old February 22, 2008, 03:31 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Actually there is two weak link, one is aptly mentioned although I do not see why you would place SN with HB in the same league.

The other problem is having a solid wicketkeeper batsman. What we had in Khaled Mashud in his hay day is largely missing in Rahim. Rahim's early demise keeps the lower order wide open retarded and hampered to fold early, pushing for much higher embaarrasment.
Old February 22, 2008, 03:50 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharifk
I think your idea about the team build up with the number of bowlers and batsmen is a valid one. The only problem is the presence of HB. He makes the case very difficult to drop a batsman. I think once he is gone, we will be able to use one extra bowler. But Raj won't do it. It should have been Enam or Rasel. I would have gone for Rasel because you don't need too many spinners since spinners can bowl for long spells.
I would also prefer Rasel as a fifth bowler. But he is not even in the squad.
Old February 22, 2008, 03:54 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Actually there is two weak link, one is aptly mentioned although I do not see why you would place SN with HB in the same league.

The other problem is having a solid wicketkeeper batsman. What we had in Khaled Mashud in his hay day is largely missing in Rahim. Rahim's early demise keeps the lower order wide open retarded and hampered to fold early, pushing for much higher embaarrasment.
Did not put HB and SN on the same scale.
Assuming that either HB or SN is the additional batsman occupying the position of the all important bowler (This is Test match).
Old February 22, 2008, 03:59 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaz
I would also prefer Rasel as a fifth bowler. But he is not even in the squad.
I prefer Shakib or Reza as the 5th bowler, but given our home condition for spinners, Shakib will be right choice. Rasel, on the other hand, should be one of the 4 main bowlers.
Old February 22, 2008, 04:38 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

while 8 batsmen isn't going to be much better than 7 batsman test cricket isn't 100% about taking 20 wickets. i mean don't get mean wrong that's a very important part of winning a test match and it's as important if not more important than the other aspects of the game, but the bowlers need a decent score to defend as well.

the batsmen can't give the bowlers under 200 each innings and expect the bowlers to take 20 wickets (doesn't matter how many bowlers they have, taking 20 wickets for under 400 runs just isn't going to happen very often at this level).

at this point batting should still be the main area of improvement, once they can consistently make 250+ each innings every match then bangladesh will start to see a change in their reputation and results. they'll start to get some draws and they'll be much better respected by the other teams and they'll get into more situations where they have a chance of winning the match.

i agree BD went into the match short a bowler, i also agree that a solid wicket keeper is needed, hello dhiman selectors.....they love surprise selections, why not surprise us with dhiman for once.
Old February 22, 2008, 04:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

They must drop Bashar in the next Test match and bring in Reza.