facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Will this Team Rule Work
No The Current Top 3 aren't good enough to play Ariel 4 7.84%
No The Middle Order are gonna break the Team Rules 8 15.69%
Both Option 1 & 2 12 23.53%
The Plan is Brilliant! 27 52.94%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 19, 2008, 02:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya
Default Discussion: New Team Batting Rules

Quote:
Bangladesh came up with a new term in their book, which is 'team rule'. And what they believe was that they failed to apply it during the last series against formidable South Africa but made use of it in the first game against Ireland on Tuesday.

"As per the team rule, only the first three batsmen can play shots freely, in other words, they can play over the top. But for the remaining batsmen, it is considered a crime, as they have to avoid any kind of risk.

"I followed it in the first game against Ireland and got the result. I believe we would be competitive against the top-ranked sides if we maintained this rule," Ashraful explained.

And that was the reason left-handed opener Tamim Iqbal and number three Aftab Ahmed were not blamed for their rushed shots in the first game.

"You can say we gave Tamim free license to play his natural game because of the rule," he said.

Chief selector Rafiqul Alam was also excited by the new method and he believed they will get some results if the players followed it religiously.

"The method (team's rule) was desperately needed against South Africa but it didn't happen. I am happy they at least followed it in the first game against Ireland. As much as we follow the rules, we will be more successful in the international cricket," said the former national player.

"I will be really happy if they maintain it in the remaining two games against Ireland," he added.
I like it for the most part, It sounds childish but thats what we need it gives the Top 3 the License to Kill Card and now I assume the rest of the Batsmen can't play ariel shots until the 40th Over which does explain Ash's comments of Raqibul broke the team rules.

I just have one gripe with the rule and thats Were gonna get bounced to death and Basically were gonna be playing 4 ball overs like we did in the NZ series. I've seen Tamim Look Amateurish consistently going for Booming Drives and missing. And if you really want to get the most out of this New Team Rule, let Ash and Aftab Open ... theres 2 ways to look at it the best way to maximize the 1st 10 overs we'll be 70/2 after 10 but Ash is really important to our Middle order and we need him to stay As long as possible.

Old March 19, 2008, 02:36 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Well... though I think that option 2 is likely to be true, the plan is really brilliant. We gotta try to find some new combinations and game plans for our team based on which our team will be developed. We need to make this kinda experiments. Inshallah this will start giving positive results soon.
Old March 19, 2008, 02:37 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

The current top 6 should not play ariel before they make a 50 or they are playing in the last 5/7 overs while batting first.

Now if they are chasing 300+, license to kill from the get go.

Situation should dictate what team rules they need to follow.
Old March 19, 2008, 02:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

there is anda-munda slogging, and then there is sensible slogging. If they pick the latter, I have no problem with WHICH order does it. After all, the game is ALL about runs.
Old March 19, 2008, 02:44 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ash, Aftab, Mashrafe

if Ashraful comes in at 4... I can't see him playing without risks consistently, and most of his best innings have been agressive. And if all three at the top get out playing risky shots, the middle order will have to face the new ball. Other than that, it seems ok.
Old March 19, 2008, 02:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayizmi
if Ashraful comes in at 4... I can't see him playing without risks consistently, and most of his best innings have been agressive. And if all three at the top get out playing risky shots, the middle order will have to face the new ball. Other than that, it seems ok.
His 3 Best Innings IMO 100 vs Australia (win) 87 vs South Africa (win) and his 50 vs Sri Lanka (win) had very little risk he Went Pagla in the final 5 overs vs SA but thats what expected and his fine leg paddle isn't a high risk shot IMO. And did you see the corralation in between Him playing sensibly and wins?

Why do I rate these higher than his 94 vs England or his 70 vs NZ or even his Kamakize 67* vs Kenya? Those matches had no impact on the game, No way were chasing 390 ... ash had nothing to lose just played the Ininings of his life and just Pulled and hooked everything he saw. His 70 should have been 130* and was hooking every short ball he saw he broke the same Team rules we are talking about (I remember siddons saying that) and 67* Small Targe match was pretty much in the bag.

Last edited by cricman; March 19, 2008 at 03:02 PM..
Old March 19, 2008, 02:52 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

This new team batting rules may seem childish, but what else can we suggest for our intellectually challenged batsmen?

Also I don't see how SN fits in opening slot under this new rule.
Old March 19, 2008, 02:56 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricman
His 3 Best Innings IMO 100 vs Australia (win) 87 vs South Africa (win) and his 50 vs Sri Lanka (win) had very little risk he Went Pagla in the final 5 overs vs SA but thats what expected and his fine leg paddle isn't a high risk shot IMO. And did you see the corralation in between Him playing sensibly and wins?
His had few lucky escapes in his 100 against Australia.
Old March 19, 2008, 02:59 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
His had few lucky escapes in his 100 against Australia.
One Gillespie drop but I have nothing against the risky singles he took RRR was @ 8 and it's pretty hard to run with Bashar as your partner

Plus most 100's aren't flawless, you need a little luck to get 100 in an ODI he gave once chance in 100 deliveries and that was when he was past 50 too
Old March 19, 2008, 02:59 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

SN can complement Aftab and Tamim. Zunaid can play that role as well if picked. A winning ODI team takes advantage of the initial field restriction during the PP's. Playing over the top is necessary if one knows how to do it. That is why I have always wanted Aftab at no.3. This is the correct mindset. This is why you see the likes of Gilchrist, McCullum, Gayle etc opening in ODI's. The middle overs require different type of players. Players that can find the gap, rotate, fast between the wkt etc .
Old March 19, 2008, 03:02 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Anyway,I think that Bd players should maintain this rule during the Ireland series.
And then let's see what it gives.This sounds like a good rule & I think it may work
& get BD more runs to win easily.
Old March 19, 2008, 03:13 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

If they can follow this rule for few matches, they will learn how to control temptations and then we wont need this rule, they will learn to go after the loose balls only.
Old March 19, 2008, 03:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

If it continues raining, thend the game is cancelled. Is there a chance that it can be played the following day?
Old March 19, 2008, 03:32 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

The plan is simply brilliant, atleast a step towards 'Carot & Stick' many of us here in BC wanted it to be.

Will it work? Should ! But who can be sure about BD team. What worked with others are not working fo us. But I think it has a much better chance.
Old March 19, 2008, 03:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Lets see if the batsmen can stick to the plan first. Only then we can decide whether it will work or not.
Old March 19, 2008, 04:01 PM
Banned

So, do the opponents become aware of this new rule? If so, will they adopt different tactics and stymie the batsmen, or force them to go aerial and get caught out?
Old March 19, 2008, 04:11 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I wonder if they would follow this rule on the 20/20? That would be sick.
Old March 19, 2008, 04:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

the problem with this is the players won't learn to play to the situation themselves because a) they're just doing what they're told by the coach which wouldn't be so bad if b) the plan wasn't the same for every game because different situations arise in different games so you need to play in different ways.

though i do think atm the team needs some solid set out direction so for the moment it could be good. but for the future maybe siddons should run some short presentations and create a sort of "playbook" for the players. this "playbook" would more or less in general terms show players how to play in what situation. i mean all you'd have to do was break each innings into segments of 10 overs and run through what to do in different score scenario's during each segment of 10 overs. that way the players have something to go back to and read over if they need it or even if they just have some spare time they can go over it

anyway, for now i think this "team rule" could help give the players the direction they need, but i'm not sure it's the long term answer........
Old March 19, 2008, 04:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

also i wonder how this is going to affect aftab, wasn't he trying to tone things down? now he's batting at 3 and this rule let's him bascially play how he wants, is the coach sending him mixed messages? good for ashraful though, he needs to tone things down so hopefully this does the trick.
Old March 19, 2008, 05:06 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Alastair Cook

This is quite stupid a plan for a 50 over game. It may be useful in T20.
Old March 19, 2008, 05:20 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafiz

I loved this rule. And now I just got the answer to one of the questions that were floating around in my head since that last ireland match. I noticed that Ash especially was letting go of every single ball outside the offstump. Now that is NOT the Ash we all know. But wow, I was loving it, becasue it stopped the chances of him being caught behind playing rash shots, and taht is one of the most common forms of an "ash dismissal".
Hopefully this plan will guide them.
I did however wish that Junaid would somehow be in this set-up. I really like how the kid plays. And I personally dont even find a reason for him to be out of the team. He was playing good, and his game was not down for a long time... he didnt even have a long time, and infact the time that he did play, he played quite well I would have to say.
Old March 19, 2008, 05:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Jamie Siddons is trying to put discipline together by calling it a team rule. We were successful before without this rule and still wont be successful with this rule if we are chasing a big total. If this rule is known by all the other teams, they will exploit it by offering loose balls to the first 3 players and ball wicket-to-wicket to the rest. That wont work either.
Nevertheless, every process has its flaws but if this is solving 80% of our problems, this is golden. Lets see how our players can adjust to this rule. This is essentially Jayasuriya/De Selva/Watmore model who introduced blasting the first 15 overs to take advantage of fielding restrictions.... and it worked for them, it can work for us as well.
Old March 19, 2008, 05:55 PM
Cricket Sage

atleast they trying somethingg...as long as the boys can stick to the plan..it shud work...i'm sure this is not Siddon's only gameplan...he's got few more up his sleeves..
Old March 19, 2008, 05:57 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

This rule is just for first 15 overs. They can go for shots but they cannot get out. Meaning you cannot give your wicket away. They cannot play loose shots.

After the 15th overs, you have to play according to the situation.

Ithink its a nice rule.

Shamokal
Old March 19, 2008, 06:42 PM
Cricket Legend

well thats a pretty good decision,but what if our middle order is in a position to slog ?