facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 27, 2005, 06:46 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Bangladesh Team Selection

As a relative outside looking in at Bangladesh cricket, I would just like to make some comments about Bangladeshi's team selection.

I know there is a great deal of talent in Bangladesh, but for my money 15 players or so need to be picked out at 1st team squad regulars. There needs to be some stability.

It seems every series Bangladesh have there is a new player, a new schoolkid making his debut and I was just thinking that maybe looking at having a consistent squad may just speed up the development of the Bangladesh team a bit.

One area where England got it badly wrong in the 90's, was they kept making changes to the team and handing out debuts left right and centre, these selections were always knee-jerks to a period of good form in county cricket. I can't help but feel Bangladesh are on this road with their team selection. England have only got good since Duncan Fletcher came along and said "Lets have a consistent team".

I am interested to know what your views on this. Should Bangladesh keep selecting squads as they are now, or identify a group of players and keep selecting them until they gel and start playing good cricket more consistently?

Old July 27, 2005, 07:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

There are a few reasons for this.

1) older players announcing retirement
2) Some players just not perfroming

I don't see whats wrong adding one or two players as long as the core remains the same and it has somewhat.

Last 2-3 years Ash, Bashar, Javed , Mashrafe(before injury) pilot and rafique.
Old July 27, 2005, 09:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Chopping the team was even worse a couple of years ago. If anything, we have a core set of players now who have some level of confidence they will be included. But I do agree that too many new players is problematic. We keep thinking the next new young player is going to solve the riddle.
Old July 28, 2005, 12:02 AM

I think BD cricket is in right track. It needs time to select a strong and balanced team. Whatmore doesn't know all the BD cricket players, therefore, he needs to check out all the talented players who are capable of playing excellent cricket. Once he gets a good squad of 15 players or so in hand, I am sure he will then focus on stability of the team.
Old July 28, 2005, 12:33 AM
Test Cricketer

I agree with Rob. Too much experiment is not going for BD. Look Australia, all players are known and they are very good. I think just Clerk is a new player in Australian team. Pretty consistent team. Players have ups and down time like Ganguly. Even he is not playing good(banned by ICC as well), he is still in the team. In Sri Lanka tour we are not going to change that much, probably only one change (Spinner). I think this is a good decission.
Old July 29, 2005, 10:24 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Saeed Anwar

What we all need to understand is that our BD team is still trying to find players to keep on the national team on a consistent basis. Now, we have just started to see some players like Shariar Nafees, Nafees Iqbal, Aftab, A Haq Jr etc.\
SL tour will give us a much better picture.
Old July 30, 2005, 04:29 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

we are on the right track...we needed to experiment for the last 4 years or so.

the short term was dismal, but in the long term it bodes well.

we are NOW beggining to see a stable line-up forming
Old July 31, 2005, 11:02 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

were not a team like england, we only started playing test cricket in 2000, our 1st class isnt good enough so we have to test our players out on the big stage, we have 2 unearth some new talent every few series because were a developign nation in terms of players and test cricket. we didint have an establisghed set of core players hence why we experimented. Now we a consistent backbone
Old July 31, 2005, 04:39 PM
Cricket Legend

there are 2 things which can go against keeping a consistent team

1)a better domestic player wont get chance to play
2)players in the national team become complacent

things which go for consistent team is that the player who perform in international level knows how tough it is and can deal with different situations. there needs to be a fine balance , a door should always be kept open for bright domestic prospects but at the same time there should never be wholesale changes.