facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 11, 2006, 10:15 PM
Test Cricketer

Default cricket in usa

i dont get what is happening to cricket in united state. after usa national team played in championship trophy i thought this will be a big boost for cricket in this country. but cricket board is sitting down and not doing anything. they are having internal problem themselves. there are no professional cricket league in this country. they started something with pro-cricket, which was a 20 over game but that stopped after only one season. cricket can be very popular in america even with baseball being the top sports. because cricket is a great game. some people say that cricket is too long for american to watch. i disagree with that becasue look how long golf is. but golf is very popular in this country. cricket is a great game and if promoted the right way it will catch on in america.

Old January 11, 2006, 11:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

It's many years before America become a force at international level. They were incredibly lucky to get through to the Champions Trophy, winning out on NRR. The average age for the squad is about 38 and there's only one or two genuine Americans in there. They were disgraceful in the ICC Trophy and if they're ever to get back to whatever height they reached it will take some serious foreign resource scraping (gathering together as many West Indians and Pakistani's as possible).

I can't see USA being a decent cricket nation for at least 20 years. The Pro20 tournament was a good incentive but even that was filled up with has-been's from other countries such as Colin 'Funky' Miller.
Old January 12, 2006, 09:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Yeah but the talents are there though. So many desis play cricket here whenever we get a chance. By taking the right initiative, USA cricket can go a long way.
Old January 13, 2006, 03:49 AM
Test Cricketer

it will take some time for america to be a decent team in the cricket world. but usaca isnt doing anything for the future. they need to stop fighting among themselves and creat a professional cricket league in this country. like 8 states could have their own team and play home and away match against eachother. that can be a start and if they can continue i am sure it will gain popularity among american public. and if cricket become popular among american people its just matter of time for them to be a force in cricket world. soccer was in same position at one time and now they are one of the top 10 team in the world. i am sure the same can happen to cricket.
Old January 13, 2006, 11:05 AM
Cricket Legend

I agree with you. It will be really interesting if they can do that. Like a interstate tournament or something. We are already trying to do among Bangladeshis. There was a interstate game between New York and Atlanta last November and we are planning to visit CA and FL soon. Hopefully in a year or two, we can start a Bangladesh Interstate Cricket tournament.
Old January 13, 2006, 10:24 PM
Test Cricketer

thats good to hear. but if america is to improve cricket a professional league is very necessary. bangladesh league is still mostly based on queens and brooklyn. unfortunately they dont have any in the bronx as far as i know. but i do hear that they have some great cricket player. one of them made to u-19 team which we should be very proud of.
Old January 13, 2006, 11:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

what is the name of that u-19 player...we should study him during the WC next month.

yes, if a pro cricket league is started here on an inter-state basis....even if it is small, USA will become a cricket power within 2 decades. maybe not a test team but for sure an ODI team.

i introduced a few white americans to cricket last year and they were pretty interested. one guy kept asking me to play.

so i think cricket can catch onto americans (i am living proof)
Old January 17, 2006, 09:20 AM
Test Cricketer

America have their population to their advantage. Even if it takes off slightly, they're bound to get a few good players.

It will be many years before they will be even a slight threat to anyone though..
Old January 17, 2006, 10:40 AM
Cricket Legend

The under-19 player we have from New York is Sumon Bari. He is quite good. Loves to play pull and hook. he's kinda short. He looks like tendulkar when batting.
Old January 18, 2006, 12:07 AM
Test Cricketer

i heard alot of sumon bari. i hope he plays well in srilanka. i think bangladesh cricket team will be surprise when they see him in srilanka because i dont think they will expect any bangladeshi in american cricket team. it is a good oppurtunity for him to shine.
Old January 18, 2006, 09:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Yeah definately. Lets see how he does. I don't think he will get a chance to play against Bangladesh though. As much as I want USA to win some matches, I think they will be out in the first round.