facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 17, 2006, 10:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Default ICC warns India of Responsibilties

Indian threaten the Future Tours Programme
ICC warns India of Responsibilties

Cricinfo staff
January 17, 2006

The ICC chief executive, Malcolm Speed, has written to Niranjan Shah, the honorary secretary of the BCCI, to issue an unusually forthright reminder of India's duties to the worldwide cricket community.

The response from the ICC comes after India announced plans to break away from the Future Tours Programme (FTP) ,by playing Australia in three consecutive years, and said they would not play any future Champions Trophy events, following the 2006 tournament.

"I have read a number of media reports emanating from the BCCI in which you and other BCCI officials are quoted as spokesmen on behalf of the board," said Speed. "The President [Ehsan Mani] and I are both very concerned that BCCI is moving ahead and taking what appear to be unilateral decisions that are contrary to ICC policy as agreed by the ICC members including the BCCI."

There is nothing to stop countries arranging tours outside of the FTP, but there is a fear that India are trying to reorganise the international calendar to maximise their income.

"I wish to remind the BCCI of three important decisions that have been taken by the ICC and IDI [the commercial arm of the ICC] boards in recent times. At its meeting in Auckland on March 9, 2004, the ICC executive board resolved to adopt the ICC [tours programme].

"The effect of this decision is that the FTP is binding on all of the members of the ICC, including the BCCI. Any attempt by a member to amend it unilaterally without the consent of the ICC board is invalid."

The letter from Speed also outlined the decisions that had been agreed at the ICC meeting in Sydney during October. This included the ICC staging a major event each year until 2015, although this plan has been disrupted with the poor response to the Super Series. Speed confirmed the priority for scheduling matches, making it clear that tours outside the FTP were at the bottom of the list. The order explained in the letter is the following:

1. ICC Events;
2. FTP Tours;
3. Regional events such as the Asia Cup
4. Series involving Associate Members;
5. Any additional bilateral series outside the FTP.

Speed continued: "With the greatest of respect to the BCCI, could I urge you to take these decisions into account when you are considering scheduling of matches."

He explained that the next appropriate forums to discuss ICC policy were the chief executives' committee and executive board meetings scheduled for February and March 2006.

Source: Cricinfo

Old January 17, 2006, 10:49 PM
BC Editorial Team

I wonder how much credibility a threat by ICC carries these days. Everytime it was faced with a problem, ICC chose either to bury its head in the sand (match fixing, chucking etc) or after attempting to act brave, withdraw with its tail between the legs (most famously when SL threatened to take them to the court on the Murali issue).

My guess here is that this will be settled somewhere in the midway between the two - India backing out on some things, but going ahead with the Australian tours outside of FTP, or something like that.

Edited on, January 18, 2006, 3:55 AM GMT, by Tintin.
Reason: gmr
Old January 18, 2006, 12:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

If push come to shove, which unfortunately may come down to at the end, ICC does have the power to not recognize the matches played by India outside the FTP program. I think when Speed says the word, "invalid", he may be hinting it that way. I don't think India would like a double century by Shewag or Dravid not mentioned in the books as part of an unofficail test. Simmilarly, the opposing teams would also lose interest and would not like to be part of that. ICC should consider its all options in face of unilateral monetary muscle flexing by India and as a last resort, must take action the way I have proposed. Sounds like a case of USA vs UN here...
Old January 18, 2006, 12:58 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Beamer
Sounds like a case of USA vs UN here...
I sure hope this one doesn't turn out like that one