facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 4, 2006, 12:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Jamuna Resort opens its doors to tourists next month

Jamuna Resort opens its doors to tourists next month

The Jamuna Resort Limited (JRL) is expected to open its gate to tourists in March with promise to become the biggest riverside resort in the subcontinent by 2010.

The resort located on the eastern bank of mighty river Jamuna and near the Jamuna Multipurpose Bridge here, in expected to open officially in the middle of next month.

JRL Chairman Abdul Awal Mintoo hopes to invest about Tk 300 crore to develop the resort and shopping malls, open-air theatre stage, shooting spots for the film industry, setting up another museum to highlighting Bengali heritage, arrangements for water sports, a golf course and an air-conditioned river cruiser. He may outsource some of them, he said.

Being developed over 1,200 bighas of land about 100 kilometres from the capital, the resort has 130 air-conditioned suites in 70 cottages, auditorium, conference rooms and dining facilities.

Recreation facilities include three tennis courts, swimming pool, five motor boats including a mechanised country boat and a riverside spot for picnics. What sets it apart is a museum housing a rich collection on bio-diversity of the area.

The suites and other facilities occupy only 130 bighas of land leaving visitors the whole expanse to enjoy the embrace of fresh air and the mighty Jamuna as well as go speed boating on the fast flowing river.

If one wishes to come with a helicopter, there is a helipad. The railway station is only a few minutes' walk away. But if one wishes to go there he or she will have to book suites or picnic spots at least a week earlier at JRL's Dhaka office at Pragati-RPR Centre at Kawran Bazar in the city.

http://www.bangladeshmonitor.net/to...php?recordID=89

Edited on, February 4, 2006, 5:44 PM GMT, by Zunaid.

Old February 4, 2006, 12:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Cottages and Suites

Old February 4, 2006, 12:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Sports and Recreational Facilities

Old February 4, 2006, 12:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Rooms

http://www.jamunaresort.com/index.html
Old February 4, 2006, 12:48 AM
BC Editorial Team

I would suspect the guy took over the town built to house the bridge builders. Smart move.
Old February 4, 2006, 03:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TAMIM IQBAL

Looks ok, but not so good.
Old February 4, 2006, 04:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
the guy took over the town built to house the bridge builders
yes, if it is newly built then it really looks dull. The setting looks good though.
Old February 4, 2006, 05:36 AM
Test Cricketer

ya..it looks dull........the swimmingpoll water looks green........but anyway, good to have open air facilities in bangladesh
Old February 4, 2006, 07:08 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally posted by oracle
Quote:
the guy took over the town built to house the bridge builders
yes, if it is newly built then it really looks dull. The setting looks good though.
I don't think so. When I was in GP I used to stay this so called resort on few occasions. It was mainly built by the Koreans for their accommodation. What I guess is now Mr. Mintoo bought this area recently. I hope his investment will be worthwhile.

Edited on, February 4, 2006, 12:49 PM GMT, by reverse_swing.
Old February 4, 2006, 07:52 AM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

looks somewhat unclean and dull for sure but something is good than nothing... they'll need good maintenance of the vegetation in and around the area
Old February 4, 2006, 08:00 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally posted by Hatebreed
looks somewhat unclean and dull for sure but something is good than nothing... they'll need good maintenance of the vegetation in and around the area
well it remains same from I what I saw 4 years ago.
Old February 4, 2006, 12:27 PM
Banned

It doesn't look too bad. I wouldn't mind spending time with lotsa friends or family there. Though I'm not sure how much I want to contribute to a already wealthy man's coffers.

The tennis and basket ball courts need new surfaces, and the swimming pool design is like a water treatment area. And ofcourse the water will look green...the sky is so...because of the foliage....I think.
Old February 4, 2006, 05:57 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TAMIM IQBAL

If they built a man made beach, and a five star hotel, that would have attracted many more people.
Old February 5, 2006, 04:01 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

i thought it looked decent enough for our country guys..
remember... we don hv too many of such resort types in our country and such projects can attract more investors from overseas ...

its the early stage of our economic development...
i guess in few yrs time we'll hv few more of such resorts in other places..n foreign n local tourist alike are gonna start travelllin around the country...

i appreciate the move made by mr mintoo...

Edited on, February 7, 2006, 3:14 AM GMT, by Sydney.
Old February 5, 2006, 09:33 AM
Forever Bangy

I think it's cute.. there's quite a lot of things to do there. I wonder what the pricing is like.
Old February 5, 2006, 10:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Just wondering whether it is a gated compund, and are there armed guards at the entrance?

It will be a welcome addition as we dont have many "weekend getaways" apart from some in Cox Bazar and the Hill Tracts
Old February 5, 2006, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Banglatiger84
Just wondering whether it is a gated compund, and are there armed guards at the entrance?

It will be a welcome addition as we dont have many "weekend getaways" apart from some in Cox Bazar and the Hill Tracts
I here the Bangladesh Rifles man the compound with posts every 50 yards. Rumours are abound of carnivorous Bengalis who desire to engage in blood thirsty orgies in the nearby woods. On a full moon night, there howling even freezes the the boiling blood of the Pongupara dacoits, residing only 3 villages East of the location. The swimming pool is nothing but a reflection of the filth drenched shores of the nearby Jumna, whose stench is all but lost when the moribound taka millionaires of Dhaka seek shelter within the confinements of the resort, from time to time. Further East, across the once golden tapestary of "dhankhets" from the era whose records are now only captured in stone hinged carvings down the Jumna, is the last civilized outpost of Bengali culture....ofcourse, that, and the umbrella communities of Bengalis living in the glittery cities of Zurich, London & NewYork, make up all the representation there is of the land that was once full of a lake crystal clear of promises.

Guys, don't be so critical or haughty.
Old February 6, 2006, 12:40 AM

I think the standard of guest house ( in picture ) is pretty good, I mean general tourist never prefer five star hotel, rather like reasonable ( price ) guest house with reasonable standard. Some us might get surprised to know that most of the foreign backpackers using hotels or guest houses which cost around 200 to 500tk only! Almost none of the tourists are staying in five or three star hotels in Dhaka, except some foreign businessmen. I was surprised when I saw ( their blog ) almost every Japanese tourists going to old Dhaka for cheap hotel and cheap food! Most of them consider 30 to 40 dollars ( per day ) guest houses or hotels as costly. So I think those rooms ( in the picture ) standard with mini bar, AC, internet connection, hot water etc. seems enough for tourist with reasonable cost. Besides there are lots of these type of hotels all over the asia, and tourists always prefer to stay there with reasonable price ( including me ).

Personally, I think some tennis court would be better than basketball, and those sight view looks good to me too. Those village view which is very common to us, often attract foreign tourists which is very uncommon to them, specially the sun set views, vast river views and flat green / golden / yellow fields and trees. I went there last October, the river view, paddy fields was nice to see and walk around, but the problem was there is NOTHING like restaurant or tea shop ( in both side of the bridge ), so that you can set down and spent some time or rest.

Edited on, February 6, 2006, 5:42 AM GMT, by PoorFan.
Reason: typo