facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports > FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive)

FIFA World Cup Soccer 2006 (Archive) Biggest sporting event in the world. This is time for the sky high excitement.

Old June 16, 2006, 02:05 AM
Street Cricketer

Default Hooray!! England Win again

Horray Again....England Win Again

My support england team has score 3 point again..
now 6 point and be the Group B leader...lolx..

VOice out what u all feel....

http://www.soccerfeast.com

Old June 16, 2006, 08:23 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Congrates! For you, the joy may be short lived if they continue to perform the way they are performing against a better class opponent. Unless you are thinking this team will imitate Italy '82.
Old June 16, 2006, 08:31 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I think it is more important in the group stages to get the points required to advance to the next round. At the moment, England's performance's have not been upto scratch but they have qualified for the next round. Now they need to pull their performances up - and they can start against Sweden. The pressure will be all on Sweden because they would want to make sure of qualification and not rely on other results. However, England would want to win the group so they will also play to win. It should be a good match.
Old June 16, 2006, 08:33 AM
Cricket Legend

England performed horribly. Just watching Argentian against Serbia and honestlty they are on a different level than England.

England will hopefully get knocked out the moment they play decent opposition.
Old June 16, 2006, 08:34 AM
Test Cricketer

Lol, how come so many people are against England?
Old June 16, 2006, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

they created a hell lot of chances in that game, but the finishing just wasn't there. i agree that they will be in trouble if they play the same way against more decent opponents. i really hope they improve their game in the knock out stages.

being an english fan can be difficult/interesting at times - the best midfield and defence in the tournament and yet that might not be enough to take them all the way, largely due to their tendancy to hold on to a goal and go all out defence (something they didn't do in the game against T&T, which is good), giving away the game as a result.
Old June 16, 2006, 09:25 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
largely due to their tendancy to hold on to a goal and go all out defence
This is all Sven's stupid idea...he learnt it from all those years managing in Italy. How can you defend a 1-0 lead from 60 minutes? That's nuts. Maybe you start to defend a lead like that in the 75th, 80th minute - not the 60th minute (which is what Sven did by taking off Michael Owen against Paraguay and bringing on a midfielder). He needs to be more attacking minded or else they will fail miserably. I can't wait until he leaves the job.
Old June 16, 2006, 10:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Over-rated... I hope they play Germany in the second round
Old June 16, 2006, 11:11 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

this english team is hyper-rated in my opinion...
better at selling t-shirts than playing quality fooball..
the combined net worth of the whole team would probably be close to half a billion billion dollar or more..and this is how they repay ??
even though im not a big fan of the english, but i wanted to see some good football given that the match started 2 in the morning my time..so by the time the match finished at 4am, i felt my whole time n precious sleep was wasted...
if they dont pull up thier gears against good quality opponents..it would be really hard for them to pass the quarters...
God need to save the team
not their old queen
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 16, 2006, 01:10 PM
Cricket Legend

england is over rated, but i think it is more of which team start to perform in 2nd round. the team which peaks at the right time will probably be champion. thus it doesnt really matter if brazil, england etc wins 1-0 now. argentina played well but serbia was 10 men later in the match and they also lost their best defender through injury.

i am just wishing england vs germany in the 2nd round, will be hell of a game. a friend of mine(english) told me england will loss to sweden if necessary just to avoid germany
Old June 16, 2006, 01:48 PM
ODI Cricketer

After watching two games, I agree with BangladeshFan - England is over rated! I would like to make another statement - their group suck. Only 4 goals in 4 games. They failed to entertain fans. Anyway, there are fans they are happy with their team's win:-)
Old June 16, 2006, 02:04 PM
Chief Moderator

Well,agreed that they are kinda overrated but they have the ability to beat any team if they able to play 100%. Few months ago they beat Argentina. In that game,England twice came from behind to beat Argentina 3-2 in the dying moments.

Old June 16, 2006, 02:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing
Well,agreed that they are kinda overrated but they have the ability to beat any team if they able to play 100%. Few months ago they beat Argentina. In that game,England twice came from behind to beat Argentina 3-2 in the dying moments.
Argentina substituted their best players including Ayala who is the only defender with good aerial ability when England scored twice.

As for being able to beat any team if they play 100%, the same can be said for a dozen other teams. However you dont hear them claiming to be best team in world after Brazil as many English fans do.
Old June 16, 2006, 03:10 PM
Banned

In world cup you can’t judge a team on pen and paper; everything comes down to the day they perform. English players are over-rated by media, not by the fans; fans will always support their team and be enthusiastic about winning the competition. However, I agree with reverse_swing, England can beat any team when they perform 100% of their ability. Probably their worse distraction is their wives rather than Argentina or Brazil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Argentina substituted their best players including Ayala who is the only defender with good aerial ability when England scored twice.

As for being able to beat any team if they play 100%, the same can be said for a dozen other teams. However you dont hear them claiming to be best team in world after Brazil as many English fans do.

Last edited by Sorry; June 16, 2006 at 03:29 PM..
Old June 16, 2006, 04:37 PM
Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
However you dont hear them claiming to be best team in world after Brazil as many English fans do.
As a by born British Bangladeshi this is indeed a news for me. Anyway I got the privilege of working in three different European countries and from my experience, I would say British media is no different than the others. I guess increasing influence of English-language media on our daily lives makes us feel like that. Here in Barcelona if you follow local Spanish media then you will get an impression that as if Spain already won the WC.

Old June 16, 2006, 08:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Never been a great fan of English football but as everyone is speaking about them I was a little bit interested to watch their game but it was full of rubish!They have no game plan and if they score one goal then they became busy to defend it rather than trying to attack more.

Germany showed how a team should attack. They scored a goal in the 89 mins yesterday, just imagine a team trying to get a goal but just for bad luck they were mssing the target again and again!

Argentina showed today how good they are, they just crashed Serbia and sent a message to everyone.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old June 17, 2006, 05:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

England is ma second team, and i obviously I hope they do well, but they aint playin too good i have to admit, but then again, we are only in the early stages of the competition and if you look at the previous world cups (and brazil-croatia game), it is quite normal for the big teams to get off to slow starts, eg. start of WC98. brazil struggled to beat scotland in opening game 2-1, and yet brazil still went to final.
I agree with abdulw11 though, the important thing is to get the points no matter how scrappy the game was, as hopefully england and brazil pick up their game and gain momentum as the tournament progresses.