facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Closed Thread

Old January 20, 2007, 06:35 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan
Default Moderators: Please put a stop to this rubbish

This is not a personal attack against Arnab but a protest against a his pathetic moderation and revenge in this thread. It was rather uncalled for and any sane person will condemn it as an abuse of moderator's power.

I have high regards for most of the moderators. Chinaman and Zunaid bhai included, both of whom I had clashed with before. Regardless, I do have utmost respect for them. But what happened in that thread was disgusting and pathetic. You call a person bostibashi and then ban him. Not only that, he chose to close the thread so people don't flood it with protest against his action. The thread itself was harmless compared to some others.

As far as I saw, Shahryar didn't break any forum rules and argued with with Arnab without violating forum rules. His view may be pro-BNP, polemic or whatever but we are no one to judge that and simply ban him because his views doesn't happen to coincide with Arnab's who happens to be a moderator showing his true colours.

If you mods have an ounce of sense of neutrality and justice in your actions, then I hope you do something about it. Else, if enforcing a Stalinist regime is what you aim to achive, then please add that to board rules and put a Soviet flag in the home page.

Being a mod doesnt make you perfect. We are all humans swayed by emotions at all times. Regardless of our status in Banglacricket.com.

I hope moderators tackle this issue wisely without any favour and put an end to this reckless behaviour.

Old January 20, 2007, 06:47 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

I personally feel Shahriyar received an unjustifed action.

Shahriyar haven't done anything in that particular thread to get banned.

Moderators/Administrators should use their power more thoughtfully and rationally.

Last edited by Miraz; January 20, 2007 at 06:54 AM..
Old January 20, 2007, 07:07 AM
Cricket Legend

I'm the one who should be blamed for the starting of this chaotic situation, though I got my reason but at the end someone else received an unjustified action. What's happening here, I can't believe it.
Old January 20, 2007, 07:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Lets hope that Chinaman Bhai notices what went on in the other thread and takes appropriate action....
Old January 20, 2007, 07:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
As far as I saw, Shahryar didn't break any forum rules and argued with with Arnab without violating forum rules.
Oh yes he did. He supports BNP and has spoken out against India in the past, and they are two grave offences. Also lets not forget that he has previously entered into debates with Arnab, another big No-No as Arnab can never ever be wrong on anything.
Old January 20, 2007, 07:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
You call a person bostibashi and then ban him.
You are wrong on two counts.

1. I didn't call anyone a bostibashi.
2. I didn't ban anyone who I called a bostibashi.

I banned Shahriyar for two reasons:

1. He intentionally misrepresented the entire situation, saying that I *called* someone a bostibashi and then demanded I apologize for something that I didn't. That's willful misrepresentation. I consider it unnecessary provocation.

2. He acknowledged that he wanted to see how other admins and mods "react" had he got banned. Which implies that he thinks this is funny business, that I am all talk and that he can get away by intentionally provoking and baiting me.

Come to think of it, you are intentionally misrepresenting the situation, too. The ban has got NOTHING to do with his political beliefs, personal beliefs, etc. etc. It has got everything to do with reasons 1 and 2.

Quote:
Not only that, he chose to close the thread so people don't flood it with protest against his action. The thread itself was harmless compared to some others.
No, the thread already degenerated into something ugly, nothing good was come out of it, and so it was closed.

In fact, if this is going to be a mod-bashing thread promulgating further nonsensical misrepresentation and nothing else, this will be closed too.
Old January 20, 2007, 07:47 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
You are wrong on two counts.

Quote:
Arnab Bhai, this is contradictory.

I'll request you to lift the ban for the sake of forum environment.
Old January 20, 2007, 07:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Oh yes he did. He supports BNP and has spoken out against India in the past, and they are two grave offences. Also lets not forget that he has previously entered into debates with Arnab, another big No-No as Arnab can never ever be wrong on anything.
Absolutely not the case. The banning has nothing to do with his debates with me or his political beliefs.
Old January 20, 2007, 07:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Arnab Bhai, this is contradictory.
It isn't. Two separate statements. Both true.

I didn't call anyone a bostibashi.

And since shahriyar was banned, and I didn't call shahriyar a bostibashi, ergo I didn't ban anyone who I called a bostibashi.
Old January 20, 2007, 12:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Quote:

**shakes head**

Mone hoy bostibasi uchched obhijan shuru korte hoibo.

Arnab bhai, your statement no. 1 is not true
Old January 20, 2007, 12:42 PM
Administrator

This is such a red herring - this bostibad thing.

Don't you guys have a sense of humor or are you on purpose fanning the fire?

bccricmad - tell me seriously if you took Arnab's response as an insult rather than a humorous riposte? If you did not - why even bother? If you did - you never did indicate so.

And even then, it is a metaphor.

As for Shahriyar, he will be back once his time out is over - the punitive measure taken against him is temporary and will be lifted quite soon. His particular response in that thread was uncalled for and Arnab made the decision he felt was appropriate.
Old January 20, 2007, 12:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcricmad
Quote:

**shakes head**

Mone hoy bostibasi uchched obhijan shuru korte hoibo.

Arnab bhai, your statement no. 1 is not true
If you read carefully and in context, I didn't call anyone a bostibashi in particular. It was a figure of speech, a sarcastic offhand remark. There was a smiley attached to it, like this: . And it did not come out of the blue. Any sane person will take it as that. If someone takes it otherwise, and misrepresents it, blows it up just to make me look bad and wants me to "apologize" for it, as shahriyar intentionally did, I am entirely justified to consider it as a form of baiting. If I tried to reason him, he would have dragged it on and on, just to piss me off, just to see how much he could do before getting away with it. He thinks this is some kind of tamasha. Well, after a certain point, I don't find it funny.

Nor do I find this thread very funny. You guys can discuss cricket, politics, sports, whatever the heck you want. I don't think I ever closed a full-blown thread or banned a user before; either stayed out or always went the conversational way. I have nothing personal against shahriyar either. He's probably like any other Bangladeshi probashi trying to talk with his fellow citizens on this forum. But please, don't bait me for fun.
Old January 20, 2007, 01:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
If you read carefully and in context, I didn't call anyone a bostibashi in particular. It was a figure of speech, a sarcastic offhand remark. There was a smiley attached to it, like this: . And it did not come out of the blue. Any sane person will take it as that. If someone takes it otherwise, and misrepresents it, blows it up just to make me look bad and wants me to "apologize" for it, as shahriyar intentionally did, I am entirely justified to consider it as a form of baiting. If I tried to reason him, he would have dragged it on and on, just to piss me off, just to see how much he could do before getting away with it. He thinks this is some kind of tamasha. Well, after a certain point, I don't find it funny.

Nor do I find this thread very funny. You guys can discuss cricket, politics, sports, whatever the heck you want. I don't think I ever closed a full-blown thread or banned a user before; either stayed out or always went the conversational way. I have nothing personal against shahriyar either. But please, don't bait me for fun.
What all was going on in that thread in between me & you I didn't mind at all, as all were humorous. But the incident that happened later, lead me to think about "was that for me or not?"
Old January 20, 2007, 01:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
'
bccricmad - tell me seriously if you took Arnab's response as an insult rather than a humorous riposte?
It was a humorous riposte.
Old January 20, 2007, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It was a humorous riposte.

My first one smiley post!
Old January 20, 2007, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

well i too think the bostibashi thing is being taken a bit out of context by some of the members, perhaps not intentionally. it was really only a figure of speech.

i remember arnab calling me a lazy bastard once, and chinaman editing his post. well, he really didn't have to, because once again, lazy and bastard are two words that are used in conjunction pretty often in everyday life, and there's nothing offensive in it. similarly, the bostibashi thing was also intended in a light-hearted/joking manner.

by the way, just for the record, i'm not pointing any fingers here, and neither am i defending Shahriyar bhai's ban (and i'm also not saying it wasn't justified). i don't like meddling in other people's business/actions, and i don't want other people to meddle in mine. so as long as noone bites me, i don't bite back - i.e. i'm not justifying or defending anything here.
Old January 20, 2007, 01:20 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Well, I was one of the unfortunate poster in that infamous thread.

I have to admit, it appeared that bdcricmad took the 'bostibashi' a bit seriously and the word at that time looked quite offensive.

After this post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
বাংলাকৃকেট দেখছি online পাঠশালা হয়ে যাচ্ছে। কেউ কেউ যথোপযুক্ত শব্দ ব্যবহারের অভিধান রচনা করছেন আবার আপনারা দেখছি সঠিক বাংলা বানান পদ্ধতি নিয়ে গবেষণা করছেন। আমরা দেখছি বড়ই সচেতন বাঙালী

Quote:
bostibashi

Quote:
অধ্যাপক সাহেব, বলেন দেখি মন্ত্রীমহোদয় কোন সাহসে আম জনতাকে বস্তিবাসী বলেন?
It appeared that he is a bit upset with the happening. Anyway, I was also caught in the middle for a while.
Whatever happened, it is hard to believe that this fruitless posts (one after another without any apparent reason) culminated in banning of one of the most active members of recent days.
Quote:
As for Shahriyar, he will be back once his time out is over - the punitive measure taken against him is temporary and will be lifted quite soon. His particular response in that thread was uncalled for and Arnab made the decision he felt was appropriate.
I hope the time out period will be short enough to continue the lively contribution of Shahriyar at Banglacricket.

Last edited by Miraz; January 20, 2007 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: typo
Old January 20, 2007, 01:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
What all was going on in that thread in between me & you I didn't mind at all, as all were humorous. But the incident that happened later, lead me to think about "was that for me or not?"
It wasn't for you. Although I don't exactly enjoy this kind of mod vs member tete-a-tete humor. It's not exactly very clean fun. Disrupts the natural dynamics of a forum.
Old January 20, 2007, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
by the way, just for the record, i'm not pointing any fingers here, and neither am i defending Shahriyar bhai's ban (and i'm also not saying it was justified). i don't like meddling in other people's business/actions, and i don't want other people to meddle in mine. so as long as noone bites me, i don't bite back - i.e. i'm not justifying or defending anything here.
Damn! You did that well!It always hurts my back end when I try to sit on the fence.
Old January 20, 2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It wasn't for you. Although I don't exactly enjoy this kind of mod vs member tete-a-tete humor. It's not exactly very clean fun. Disrupts the natural dynamics of a forum.
True.

Perhaps we all should do better in marking ourselves as whether we are speaking as mod or as just a member.
Old January 20, 2007, 01:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

Random thought: Do you know if you reverse Arnab, you get Banar.... So Arnab is a monkey! Or in other words, Arnab's opor naam banr.

Funny thread though... mods decisions are final guys.. so stop screaming like bostibashis.
Old January 20, 2007, 01:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Random thought: Do you know if you reverse Arnab, you get Banar.
Banra, not banar. You're loosing braincells by the year. Although I have heard this one before. How about doorknob? That one's more popular.
Old January 20, 2007, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus
Random thought: Do you know if you reverse Arnab, you get Banar.... So Arnab is a monkey! Or in other words, Arnab's opor naam banr.

Funny thread though... mods decisions are final guys.. so stop screaming like bostibashis.
with a few plain posts on his come-back, i was wondering whatever had happened to the old Orphy. looks like he just needed some time to warm up
Old January 20, 2007, 02:46 PM
Banned

I protest against Shahryar's ban. He is just about the most patient poster, member I've seen here. This is outrageous and should be corrected.

Arnaaaaaaab, you should apologize and bring him back, man. You're morphing into quite an... something...
Old January 20, 2007, 03:01 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

Someone's obviously trying to increase his post count. I don't know if I can respect you after this. Thoroughly dissapointed. (and I got a freebee post count to boot, sweeeeet).

Quote:

My first one smiley post!