facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old August 23, 2007, 04:44 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

These two arrests will create a new dimension to the whole scenario.

IMO, this is not the right time to create further mess. I have a gut feeling that the timing is wrong, they should have waited for another couple of days to diffuse the tension before such operation.

As a Dhaka University teacher, I personally condemn the arrest. If they have specific allegation against any teacher, they should arrest them and place them under trial. It should be done in a transparent way and definitely not by midnight operations.

Old August 23, 2007, 05:11 PM
Club Cricketer

the arrested people sounds quite dodgy to me. The way teachers supported the violent act of students was a appalling display of lack of common sense. Hopefully few days in jail would sort these people out and bring back common sense in them. Their job is to teach, but i just read they are involve in politics. Thats not what they are paid to do!!!

Agree with miraz about the way they got arrested in midnight is probably not the ideal way to do it. Then again doing it day time might bring resistance from the university students/teachers and put security people's lives in danger. I guess hence the midnight operation.

Last edited by sunnyctg; August 23, 2007 at 05:18 PM..
Old August 23, 2007, 06:39 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_swing
This morning, I was thinking the same way. If this CTG fails then I don't see any future for us. For God's sake let's hope for the best.
I don’t think we have too much to worry about. The decent, hardworking and peaceful people of Bangladesh are not as stupid as their arrogant and tragically mistaken “representatives” of the past and their loyalists continue to believe.

People are keenly aware of the constitutionally supported CTG of 1/11 and its job to uphold the letter and the spirit of the Constitution of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh. It is the deliberate and criminal subversion of the Constitution, unabashedly carried those who have historically put narrow personal and greater political gain over national interest, which has made the CTG nothing less than revolutionary. Our people know that if the CTG fails in its legally mandated endeavor to hold free and fair elections by 1) initiating the process of weeding out corruption and making the ACC independent, 2) making the Judiciary independent, 3) making the EC independent, and 4) generating an authentic voter list that will prevent the traditional sabotage and theft of this fundamental right – we will fail as a nation. People know that opposing the CTG – given the past record of the BAL/BNP/JIB Mafiosi, and all their allies and chamchas who have benefited literally at the expense of our Nation – is for all practical purposes, the same as opposing those reforms that can establish the rule of law and start bringing the ideals of 1971 as expressed by our Constitution, to life. Not supporting these reforms is nothing short of legitimizing the past lawlessness, injustice, corruption, nepotism, attempted election engineering, wanton sabotage of our State institutions and criminal undermining of the Constitution by making a mockery of its ideals. Infinitely worse than the idea of Mir Zafar in my book.

This is not the time for fence-sitting or luxuriate in the type of bitching, moaning, and other semanto-masturbatory indulgences that do nothing but shamelessly demonstrate one’s pathetic conviction of ultimately counterproductive vanity. This critical juncture in our nation demands that we be a part of the solution or risk wallowing in the banal. To those who just don’t seem to get enough of their own bullshit I ask this: which Bangladeshi government was not backed by the Army over the last 15 years? Just give it a break and stop embarrassing us all with the nattering that does not do that good a job concealing those ulterior motives, and the longing to resume those good old days of brigandage.

No one can blame us for believing that the crypto-fascist and totalitarian at best BAL/BNP/JIB Mafiosi and their allies and chamchas will do what they have skillfully avoided doing after receiving popular mandates in the past, and suddenly start practicing internal democracy, uphold democratic values, be active proponents of a dynamic democratic culture that includes every Bangladeshi, and most importantly, abide by the laws of the land. In their supreme arrogance, they relaxed a bit too much when it came to covering their tracks and are paying the premium for it now, morally bankrupt, discredited and on the run with loot in hand. They are waiting for a time that will not pass without the promise of mortal combat from those of us who believe in the Spirit of ’71. The pathetic manner in which they continue to delude themselves is not going to spin us into being born yesterday. The Bangladesh they have used and abused like a fiefdom – be it under the guise of BAKSAL, Martial Law or the use of democratic elections over the last 15 years to rob the nation and betray the public trust – is no more. Time to smell that hot morning beverage of choice, possibly from the ephemeral safety of the other shore.

The time has come to get used to the facts of life because the proverbial chicken has indeed come home to roost. Death spasms of poilitically motivated chaos will be met with lawful and appropriate response, and the counterrevolutionary schemes would be defeated. No matter what happens between now and December 2008, the counterrevolution will fail, the most fair and free elections in our history will be held, and the Bangladeshi people will deliver the final nail in the coffin of politics-as-usual and the business-of-politics being lamented by the iniquitous under the cloak of “democracy”, “the rule of law” and “due process” after 15 years of opportunistic and cavalier disregard for the letter as well as the spirit of the law, and civic decency.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; October 20, 2007 at 05:05 AM..
Old August 23, 2007, 10:36 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsan
I believe they would not be kicked without no reason. They must have been involved with something. If not then its sad that they became the victims. They should have gone away from the troubled sites. Lets accept the fact that its not always possible to be perfect during such situations. Our country is already under the flood water, and situations like this would not help the cause of recovery.

To me, now all that matters is catching the real culprits and sentencing them to severe punishments.
Even if they were involved, they should be taken for interogation with specific charge against them rather than beaten up by security force. A 3 hr notice with a curfew coming, the students who dont have any relative in Dhaka cannot go back to home in other districts. So even they want, they cant move away from troubled sites. however, in Aziz market, there are some apartments where shibir caders of DU residing, who might have involvement in the current scenario.
Old August 24, 2007, 12:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
How long is the curfew going to be on? 8:00 pm August 22 - ?
Its indefinite curfew. No end date has been set.
Old August 24, 2007, 01:45 AM

Apparently one of the original army personnel (Corporal Shihab) who was involved with the student-beating up on Tuesday has been charged. Got it off from DP blog

http://www.drishtipat.org/blog/2007/...eak/#more-1311
Old August 24, 2007, 05:36 AM
Cricket Legend

JCD President Helal got arrested. Also RU EX VC was arrested. (Source: bdnews.24.com)
Old August 24, 2007, 05:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib
Default EYE WITNESS account of the destruction of “Four Seasons” restaurant, Dhanmondi

This is an eye witness report of the violent activities that took place on Wednesday, August 22nd before the curfew started which involved the destruction of “Four Seasons” restaurant, situated at Dhanmondi Saat Masjid road opposite to Shankar Bus stand. The “four seasons” restaurant was opened recently and it’s a very neat place with a glass exterior. It is apparently not owned by anybody from the CTG. My parents live there, so they got to see the incident from the balcony of our rented apartment.

My parents rushed to the balcony when they heard the sound of glass breaking. They saw a group student and some picketers breaking the glass exterior of the restaurant. The waiter and authorities of the restaurant were trying frantically to stop them but they were outnumbered. Then, mob took the furniture of the restaurant out on the street and put it on fire. Then, the mob tried to set the building on fire. A small patrol of police came and tried to disperse the crowd, but they were chased by the mob. Then, the local people and waiters from the restaurant joined with the police and chased the picketers away. We have no association with the restaurant but I noticed that my parents and sister was very sad that such nice place was destroyed without any reason.

This incident did not make it to the print or electronic media (Dristipath blog just opened a thread about it). Ask your relatives or friends living in that area to verify the incident. To me these incidents demonstrate the kind of public support these mob of students/hawkers/political goons have. The attack on square hospital is another incident that makes me really sad... why would somebody who is upset with price hike of essentials attack hospitals and public property. (As suggested by BBC report) I think the hawkers joined the students of Dhaka College in Nilkhet area because they were evicted couple of months ago without proper rehabilitation. I wish the government were not so hasty with those evictions of poor people.

BTW, I heard the name of the restaurant on the phone; I might not be 100% accurate with the name

Last edited by cricket_pagol; August 24, 2007 at 09:03 AM..
Old August 24, 2007, 07:55 AM
Cricket Savant

Thank you for sharing the account cricket_pagol.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old August 24, 2007, 02:10 PM
Test Cricketer

This riot gives CTG the opportunity to identify the thugs disguised as teacher and students. I hope CTG cleanup our education system immaculately from scoundrels.
Old August 24, 2007, 02:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

If it was any other time, I would have felt bad for the teachers but not this time. These teachers spend more time doing politics rather than teach!
Old August 24, 2007, 03:03 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
This riot gives CTG the opportunity to identify the thugs disguised as teacher and students. I hope CTG cleanup our education system immaculately from scoundrels.
I hope so too bro.
Old August 24, 2007, 04:27 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

We all need to think, "What if I was the owner of the cars that got broken, restaurants that got vandalized? What did I do to receive this type of treatment? Who is going to reimburse my loss?" Those who still support Teacher and student muscle politics please answer the questions.
Old August 24, 2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
We all need to think, "What if I was the owner of the cars that got broken, restaurants that got vandalized? What did I do to receive this type of treatment? Who is going to reimburse my loss?" Those who still support Teacher and student muscle politics please answer the questions.
From DP blog:

" Entrepreneur Says:
We are an software company that has been working diligently on creating an outsourcing market to Bangladesh. We had client deliverables yesterday and today. Our employees could not come to work, our isps were shut down so the client could not see the completed work. I did not know what to say to them. “Force Majeur?” is the death knell for outsourcers…a client will just go somewhere else. We lost two mega deals today… that directly affected many young professionals in dhaka and a lot of incoming revenue for the country. This happened to one firm. I wonder how many more are affected. But the saddest part about this to me is not the revenue being lost, or the job not being done, but that I feel like I have lost faith in my country. I do not trust it anymore and worst of all I am growing tired of caring, tired of trying, tired of crying for it. Someone return my Golden Bengal to me."
Old August 24, 2007, 04:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
True there is no excuse of vandalism and or no point of sugarcoating other people's suffering or loss. But in a conflict like this, generalizing and evil-izing the whole group in one side and putting a blind eye in other group of the conflict is kind of part of the problem though. Unfortunately I have to say we have evil in both side of this conflict.

To be the devil's advocate, I can also ask the same question, "What if I am a reporter trying to do my job and being beaten red and blue by some sepahi at the guidance of a young captain (see baundule's link and BBC report) ? What did I do to receive this type of treatment? Who is going to give me my reimburse ..my loss ( i.g. mental and physical suffering)?" Should we all curse the whole army force for that? Will it be fair if we do that.

Therefore my friends, don't be too emotional in these issue even though it very disturbing events going on. That’s why our nation is too divided in any hot issues. We are so much emotional in one side, unable to see or listen the other side of the issue. It makes us blind, and does not help us see all the wrongs that it being done in both sides (not one side in my opinion).

And innocent bystanders are the victim from both end.

btw .. As before I don't want to go and fort and argue too much. This is my comment and my feeling about this whole unfortunate event.

Thanks

Last edited by Fazal; August 24, 2007 at 05:05 PM..
Old August 24, 2007, 11:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Sober words from Fazal ... I hope that they'll have somewhat of a sobering effect also. Wanton labeling is just wrong. There are many teachers, students, Army personnel, and a few cops who are dealing with social and other consequences of the unlawful activities of some of their F-ed up colleagues.

Last edited by Sohel; October 20, 2007 at 05:06 AM..
Old August 25, 2007, 12:31 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Daily Star
Quote:
Held DU professors placed on 4-day remand

A Dhaka court today placed two Dhaka University (DU) professors, arrested by the plainclothes security personnel in the early hours yesterday, on a four-day remand each of them for quizzing.

Judge Ahsan Kabir of the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) passed the remand orders as Shahbagh police produced Dhaka University Teachers Association (Duta) General Secretary Prof Anwar Hossain and Social Science Dean Prof Harun-or-Rashid before the court and sought a 10-day remand each of them.
Quote:
Arrested 3 RU professors placed on 10-day remand

A Rajshahi court today placed three Rajshahi University (RU) professors on a ten-day remand for interrogation.

Judge Robiul Reza of the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Court passed the remand orders when Motihar police produced them in the court and sought ten days’ remand for each of them for quizzing.

Plainclothes Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) men arrested former vice-chancellor of RU and a member of Awami League Advisory Council Prof Saidur Rahman Khan, Convener of RU Progressive Teachers Society Abdus Sobhan and Moloy Kumar Bhowmik, a professor of management, at their residences yesterday.
Quote:
JCD President Helal placed on 5-day remand

A Dhaka court today placed Azizul Baree Helal, president of Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal (JCD), student wing of the BNP, on a five-day remand for interrogation.

Judge Ahsan Kabir of the Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Court passed the order as he was produced before the court.

Law enforcers arrested Helal at his Moghbazar residence in the capital yesterday morning
Old August 25, 2007, 01:39 PM
Test Cricketer

Sweet! Jail thats were they belong.
Old August 25, 2007, 06:51 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

This whole episode (starting from a football pitch brawl to such large scale chaos) has been very depressing. I like many of you have struggled to understand the 1 lakh taka question..."WHY?"

My thoughts/sentiments/feelings about this incident is pretty much summed up in the following op piece.

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=1433
Old August 25, 2007, 09:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Daily Star is probably the biggest vocal critic of CTG.
Old August 25, 2007, 10:10 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

They are certainly vocal. But occasionally they do let someone with a different perspective make a point as well. As is the case here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
Daily Star is probably the biggest vocal critic of CTG.
Old August 25, 2007, 11:51 PM
Cricket Savant

Thumbs up The Good Work Continues

Moeen U Ahmed

Quote:
Design to destabilise country foiled
Moeen says crores of taka poured in to instigate vandalism

Unb, Shariatpur

Army Chief General Moeen U Ahmed yesterday said an evil force wanted to destabilise the situation of the country but its design was foiled.

"An evil force taking the cue of a trifle incident on the Dhaka University campus on August 20 wanted to create anarchy in the country. Within 24 hours, they poured in crores of taka to instigate vandalism on the street."

"But the design could not succeed as we were vigilant. Their plan to destabilise the situation and undermine the government has been foiled," said Gen Moeen justifying the imposition of curfew on Wednesday night in Dhaka and five other cities.

The intelligence agencies are investigating to find out the evil force engaged in creating anarchy and undermining the image of the government, he added.

The army chief, who flew in here yesterday, was talking to a cross section of people at Shariatpur Circuit House at noon.

Earlier, he visited the relief centre at Water Development

Board and distributed relief materials among the flood victims. Fertiliser, paddy seedlings and vegetable seeds were also given to 300 people sheltered in the relief centre.

General Moeen said the short-lived flooding has left a trail of destruction. Besides damage to agriculture, the flood inflicted immense loss to houses, educational institutions, roads and highways. It will take time to repair the losses.

"Our duty is to help the affected people and raise their morale to recover the loss," he added.

Gen Moeen informed that as many as 53 medical teams are providing treatment for the flood affected people of the district. He advised the people to take advantage of the facilities extended by the government.

He said the armed forces were prepared to face the flood situation. They have distributed relief materials including rice allotted to the flood affected districts by the government.

About the price of essentials the army chief said the high price of food grains and some other commodities in the international market has given rise in prices in our market.

While exchanging views with the elite of the town Gen Moyeen reiterated that election will be held by the end of 2008. He expressed the hope that people would vote for the honest people ...

Link:http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=1485
Kudos to the CTG, and all those actively supporting their lawful reform in Bangladesh, for the quick restoration of peace on our streets without resorting to the Martial Law expected by the instigators of chaos for propaganda purposes. Time to go back to the real work at hand and help our flood affected compatriots.

Last edited by Sohel; October 20, 2007 at 05:07 AM..
Old August 26, 2007, 02:37 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Technical glitch halts DSE trade

Dhaka, August 26 (bdnews24.om) -- Trading on the Dhaka Stock Exchange began two hours late at 12pm Sunday due to a technical glitch in index calculation.

The trading starts at 10am.

The authorities suspended Sunday's trading after it observed abnormal results in index calculation.

"We faced problems in index calculation. We were getting abnormal results," a DSE official working on IT, told bdnews24.com Sunday.

To make up for lost hours, the bourse extended trading hours to 3pm from 2pm.

"The problem may have arisen from a hasty shutdown of the system on Wednesday," said DSE senior vice president Ahmad Rashid Lali.

On Wednesday, the government imposed an indefinite curfew in six divisional cities to rein in countrywide unrest, triggered by students.

"We will continue trading until 3pm," said DSE chief executive Salahuddin Ahmed Khan. But hours for on-the-spot trading remain unchanged, he said.

bdnews24.com/sp/ad/1310 hours
Old August 26, 2007, 06:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zobair
They are certainly vocal. But occasionally they do let someone with a different perspective make a point as well. As is the case here.
Thats just to show to everyone when they are accused of bias that "look, on that day of that month of that year, we let this bloke in our article who blatantly criticised something we have supported all along" or vice versa whether it's BAL or CTG.

Trust me, thats the very first point avid DS defenders make.
Old August 26, 2007, 10:24 AM
Cricket Savant

Thumbs up Outstanding Dig from cricket_pagol: Reality Check and Must Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol
Blog of another DU student... better any bul**$it news analysis
http://www.somewhereinblog.net/blog/...rblog/28727736
Gotta read this, originally posted on Baundule's thread.