facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 9, 2007, 05:44 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

[quote=BANFAN;418968]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAsif
Bengali is the English way of writing "Bangla", since I am writing in English I am saying Bengali.

Bro you have hit the bull, i wanted to here this. Nothing exists as 'Bengali' for me as a Bangladeshi/Bangali. Like nothing exists like 'Engrez' to an English (Bangla way of English). Our ethnicity is 'Bangali' not 'Bengali' Language is 'Bangla' not 'Bengali' many people make this mistake. But an English man does not make the mistake of calling themselves 'Engrez' and language 'Engrazee'

I don't have any political alighnment of BNP/BAL in mind. In any way these terms can't be translated.

Sorry, I don't work with BRAC, They are doing a good job here though. They are one of the biggest international NGOs here.

I didnt mean to offend you and am equally proud for our Cricket Team as you. I am enjoying the matches much more because of all of you in BC, coz you are the only people with whom I can share my feelings on our victory & defeat.
just out of curisity BANFAN, how do u watch WC in kabul? no TV airing i guess. so internet? is there high speed internet access?

Old April 9, 2007, 06:14 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

[QUOTE=Sumon77;418975]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
just out of curisity BANFAN, how do u watch WC in kabul? no TV airing i guess. so internet? is there high speed internet access?
We have setup V Sat & Satelite Dish. But can't watch TV on internet (good for Just mail & Normal browsing), But we catch Super-Sports, South African channel. There are a lots of SA here. I am the only BD here, so had to go for their interest of sports channel. one thing is good, that there is no torture of Add & bulshit. Never turns away from Match.

Forget about local airing of live ckt, they broadcast 7 days late news.
Old April 9, 2007, 06:20 AM
Test Cricketer

[quote=BANFAN;418985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumon77

We have setup V Sat & Satelite Dish. But can't watch TV on internet (good for Just mail & Normal browsing), But we catch Super-Sports, South African channel. There are a lots of SA here. I am the only BD here, so had to go for their interest of sports channel. one thing is good, that there is no torture of Add & bulshit. Never turns away from Match.

Forget about local airing of live ckt, they broadcast 7 days late news.
hahaa...then i guess u watched the match with south africans. u must have been very proud being only BD around them. how is their reaction? totally shocked?
Old April 9, 2007, 06:36 AM
Cricket Legend

I am proud of being Bangladeshi, NOT BENGALI!
Old April 9, 2007, 06:43 AM
Cricket Sage

[QUOTE=Sumon77;418988]
Quote:
hahaa...then i guess u watched the match with south africans. u must have been very proud being only BD around them. how is their reaction? totally shocked?
Definitely. That was something to enjoy and be proud of. Couldn't be better. They were counting how much they will advance in runrate. 2 cases additional castle Legar consumed out of frustration. The TV hosts had always a 15-20 mins match round up after each match, but that day, they finished in 5 mins and went off to show match highlights. These people are still not normal from the shock.

I am waiting for 2 brits, one typical English the other is ok, schottish. Waiting for the England match.

Matter of Ijjat If we defeat Eng, will be face saving for them also. Now the brits are very interested to talk about BD victory infront of them.

For me, basically enjoying allround, without much words.
Old April 9, 2007, 07:08 AM
Test Cricketer

[quote=BANFAN;418994]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumon77

Definitely. That was something to enjoy and be proud of. Couldn't be better. They were counting how much they will advance in runrate. 2 cases additional castle Legar consumed out of frustration. The TV hosts had always a 15-20 mins match round up after each match, but that day, they finished in 5 mins and went off to show match highlights. These people are still not normal from the shock.

I am waiting for 2 brits, one typical English the other is ok, schottish. Waiting for the England match.

Matter of Ijjat If we defeat Eng, will be face saving for them also. Now the brits are very interested to talk about BD victory infront of them.

For me, basically enjoying allround, without much words.
inshallah british der o ijjat horon korbe amader tiger ra. and you will be the KING of Kabul
Old April 9, 2007, 07:44 AM
Cricket Sage

[QUOTE=Sumon77;419005]
Quote:
inshallah british der o ijjat horon korbe amader tiger ra. and you will be the KING of Kabul
Insha Allah. Would be proud of them. But hey man, Not a King, Almost all are kings here, being normal is the challenge.

Enjoy
Old April 9, 2007, 07:56 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamz
i am so happy in this few weeks by seeing how the bangladesh team are doing in the cricket world cup. me and my few freinds hope that bangladesh finishes in the top 4 of the world cup table, reaches the semi final. may allah help them and guide them to world cup final some how.

you have to remeber that bangladesh is currently the third world favourite team in the world.

reply with your best wishes for bangladesh.

proud to be a bengali?
Ehon to koto kisui koiba!

STOP SPamming, yeah?
Old April 9, 2007, 10:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Proud to be a BANGLADESHI .... being from Nawab Bari in Islampur (Old Dhaka) I can tell you the term BANGLADESHI is the one which every single person of our country is able to use without any hesitation....I have cousins living in Old Dhaka who are crazy and passionate about our cricket and country in general.....The old ones cant even speak Bangla...Doesnt necessarily mean they love our country or our cricket team any less......I remember I was at my Grandma's place when we won our 1st ever test against Zimbabwe....We paraded the whole 'pukur par' in Nawab Bari with our National flag.....Just to clarify here....Just because they speak urdu doesnt mean they support Pakistan when we are playing against them....Do u think the ppl from Calcutta support Bangladesh when we are playing against India?....Thats were the term BANGLADESHI comes into play....My father's mother tongue is Urdu because they hail from the Nawab family of Ahsan Manzil....however my mother tongue is Bangla.....I have nothing against the word Bengali but it does not represent a lot of us who do not love Bangladesh any less.....So for someone like me its always a case of proud to be a BANGLADESHI.....We have people living in Hiltracts who speak different languages....doesnt make them any less BANGLADESHI...does it?

PS: Btw...Im a Bengali and my mother tongue is Bangla.
Old April 9, 2007, 10:59 AM
Club Cricketer

I am a Bengali / Bangali
My Father is a Bengali / Bangali
My Grandfather was a Bengali / Bangali
My Great Grandfather was a Bengali / Bangali
My Great Great Grandfather was a Bengali / Bangali

The list goes on and on...

For those who think that only their Passports gives them the Identity

Your Child is American
You are Bangladeshi
Your Father is Pakistani
Your Grandfather was a British
My Great Great Great Grandfather was an Indian

Please try to understand that the identity is not determined by your Passport - it is the particular group of people that you want to identify yourself with throughout generations.
Old April 9, 2007, 11:02 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
Just because they speak urdu doesnt mean they support Pakistan when we are playing against them....Do u think the ppl from Calcutta support Bangladesh when we are playing against India

When Sylhet plays a match against Chittagong, I don't expect Chittagonians supporting Sylhet.

But at the end of the day we all are Bengali/Bangali.
Old April 9, 2007, 11:07 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
Proud to be a BANGLADESHI .... being from Nawab Bari in Islampur (Old Dhaka) I can tell you the term BANGLADESHI is the one which every single person of our country is able to use without any hesitation....I have cousins living in Old Dhaka who are crazy and passionate about our cricket and country in general.....The old ones cant even speak Bangla...Doesnt necessarily mean they love our country or our cricket team any less......I remember I was at my Grandma's place when we won our 1st ever test against Zimbabwe....We paraded the whole 'pukur par' in Nawab Bari with our National flag.....Just to clarify here....Just because they speak urdu doesnt mean they support Pakistan when we are playing against them....Do u think the ppl from Calcutta support Bangladesh when we are playing against India?....Thats were the term BANGLADESHI comes into play....My father's mother tongue is Urdu because they hail from the Nawab family of Ahsan Manzil....however my mother tongue is Bangla.....I have nothing against the word Bengali but it does not represent a lot of us who do not love Bangladesh any less.....So for someone like me its always a case of proud to be a BANGLADESHI.....We have people living in Hiltracts who speak different languages....doesnt make them any less BANGLADESHI...does it?

PS: Btw...Im a Bengali and my mother tongue is Bangla.
I agree with you 100%. I never thought if it in this way. but now i got more points of saying we r Bangladeshi then Bengali or Bangali. I lived 4/5 years in Rangamati and i saw how people r there passionate about anything about Bangladesh as it should be. but there r many people who only speaks their native toung chakma or murong so what about them? They r also represented by the word Bangladeshi not by bangali.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old April 9, 2007, 11:29 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAsif
...........and even half Bengalis such as Kajol, Abhishek Bachan or Soha Ali Khan (dad Pathan, mum Bengali)
Talking about famous half Bengali's, did you know that American Idle contestant Sanjaya Malakar is half Bengali? His father is from Kolkata.
Old April 9, 2007, 11:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Where were all these threads in last 2/3 or 4 years, I really wonder??
Old April 9, 2007, 05:36 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Ok Brothers. You are arguing that Passport doesn’t give our true identity. Some are talking about ethnicity.

Well. This is the cricket forum, and I think that it will be better if we discuss the thing from the cricketing perspective.

My first question: What do our players represent? Do they represent an ethnic group or our beloved country? If the answer is country, then there is no point of taking pride in ethnicity when they win.

If you say that proud to be ‘Bangalee’, then how come the people like Chakmas, and other aboriginal people of Bangladesh will celebrate the win of Bangladesh? They are the citizens of Bangladesh, but ‘Bangalee’ undoubtedly excludes them. Shehwar Bro has explained it clearly.

Have you ever heard any American saying like that, “Oh, proud to be an English”. Yes, their ancestors were from England, but that cannot be their identity, because they have developed their own nationalism, and that is American Nationalism. And English is an inseparable part of their nationalism, but it is not the one and only base of their national identity. The same case applies to the Argentines, Brazilians, and Mexicans. Their language is Spanish, but they are not that stupid to identify themselves just based on their language. They never exalt their language or ethnicity above their nationality.

As for the ethnicity, so far I have never heard that 'Bengali' is an ethnic group. Ethnicity is something that deals with race. Dravidian, Caucasian, Indo-European, African American could be example of races. 'Bengali' just refers to the people who speak Bengali as their mother tongue. And when people from different ethnicity speak Bengali as their mother tongue, then how come ‘Bengali’ can represent ethnicity?

And for the people who are saying that passport doesn’t give the identity, I would say that at least it is something that is official. OK, my child is American. But why? It is not because of his ethnicity. It is because he has got the US passport.

Now, just for example, guess that you have very good math skills and you have the ability to solve the problems which only a person holding a masters degree in math can solve. Does this mean that you can proclaim yourself as an MA in math? No, you can’t, because you do not have the document. Ethnicity or ‘Bangalee’ is something that is not official. So, we can’t use it as our national status.

I am a Bangladeshi, and I am proud to be a Bangladeshi.
Old April 9, 2007, 10:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
As for the ethnicity, so far I have never heard that 'Bengali' is an ethnic group.
Bengali is an ethnic group. People of Bengal. Who speak various dialects of Bangla. Who share/used to share the same culturual traits.
Old April 9, 2007, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
Bengali is an ethnic group. People of Bengal. Who speak various dialects of Bangla. Who share/used to share the same culturual traits.
It also does not necessarily have to be culture.

Quote:
The classification of a population that shares common characteristics, such as religion, traditions, culture, language, and tribal or national origin.
Bengalis are defnitely an ethnic group. Just as Muslim Bengalis and Hindu Bengalis are distinct ethnic group.

In the end, IMNSHO, why does it matter?

IMNSHO - In my not so humble opinions. My opinions are never humble.
Old April 9, 2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
It also does not necessarily have to be culture.

Bengalis are defnitely an ethnic group. Just as Muslim Bengalis and Hindu Bengalis are distinct ethnic group.

Ethnicity in terms of faith professed? I dunno... it'll take a lot more time for me to accept that. Maybe a few more generations before some gene charasteristics differentiate a muslim bengali and a hindu bengali. Till then they look the same, act walk and talk the same, share the same history for the proportionally longer period of time, share the same culture, even prefer bhaat and daal with kacha morich to having chapatti and daal.
Old April 9, 2007, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar2005
Where were all these threads in last 2/3 or 4 years, I really wonder??
In forget cricket probably
Old April 9, 2007, 10:58 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

haire...koi ailam...from cricket to ethnicity...
it's like that thread with highest avg...started from avg searching, ended with me and Zunaid bhai talking about accessibility. Funny how things turn out.
Old April 9, 2007, 11:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
haire...koi ailam...from cricket to ethnicity...
it's like that thread with highest avg...started from avg searching, ended with me and Zunaid bhai talking about accessibility. Funny how things turn out.
new to this internet thing?
Old April 9, 2007, 11:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

It matters, because being part of a culture is a social attribute of the species Homo Sapiens.

Animals don't have human-like sophisticated langauge, religion or culture.

If it didn't matter, humans would be animals. Or mindless automatons. Or hermits living alone in caves or under a Banayan tree.

Without culture-wars, we cannot be human.
Old April 9, 2007, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnab
It matters, because being part of a culture is a social attribute of the species Homo Sapiens.

Animals don't have human-like sophisticated langauge, religion or culture.

If it didn't matter, humans would be animals. Or mindless automatons.

Humans in most parts _are_ mindless automations except for those who are superior, like me.
Old April 9, 2007, 11:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Humans in most parts _are_ mindless automations except for those who are superior, like me.
prove it mathematically.
Old April 9, 2007, 11:47 PM
Banned

Location: Uganda..where the smell of ganda Bashar cannot reach me
Favorite Player: Steffi Graff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahmudul.alam
I couldn't agree more brother.

Introducing ourselves as Bengali while our nationality is Bangladeshi is the most stupid thing in this earth. We need to be logical. The Bengali is the name of a language. On the other hand, Bangali means the people who speaks Bangla as their mother tongue. In that sense it includes the people of West Bengal.

Brothers, this is not an ideological conflict of our rubbish BNP-BAL politics. We should follow what our passport says, we should follow what our constitution says.

The administrators and the moderators of the BC forum are undisputably very smart persons, and I have the utmost respect for them. But I don't understand why don't they change the title of the thread from 'Bengali to Bangladeshi'.
Are u a retard or are you just kidding?
If you aren't kidding, go and read some books about bangladesh and its history ( if you have the mental capacity to comprehend what you read ) before you make your nonsensical comments about Bangali vs Bangladeshi....