facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 8, 2007, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Threads merged. Let's try to keep discussions on a particular topic restricted to existent/relevant threads.

-mod.action

Old July 8, 2007, 04:15 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
My personal opinion is something different. Age group cricketers should be coached by Australians like Shaun Williams or someone similar. Aminul should be made the coach of a first class team (say Dhaka Division) with the responsibility of regional cricket centre like he mentioned in his interview. In that case he could have used his overseas/Australian experience to develop the domestic infrastructure.
Miraz bhai I think that's a good idea.
I have a question though. I think everyone accepts that the presence of foreign players in our first division league in early nineties were very helpful for players to get competitive in one day games. Now everyone talks a lot about fixing structures in 4 day matches but without playing against quality bowlers our batsmen will never learn anything and its a fact that we don't have that many quality bowlers in our country. So to me allowing quality foreign players(specially bowlers) in our national league is a must to make progress. Anyone thinking about that?
Old July 8, 2007, 05:09 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion32
Miraz bhai I think that's a good idea.
I have a question though. I think everyone accepts that the presence of foreign players in our first division league in early nineties were very helpful for players to get competitive in one day games. Now everyone talks a lot about fixing structures in 4 day matches but without playing against quality bowlers our batsmen will never learn anything and its a fact that we don't have that many quality bowlers in our country. So to me allowing quality foreign players(specially bowlers) in our national league is a must to make progress. Anyone thinking about that?
Very good point bro and BCB has already taken decision to allow first class team to register three foreign players and one can play in each game. Foreign players must be bowlers having first class experience.
Old July 9, 2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Bulbul knows what's going on, and will make a great coach in 5 years.
Agree with reasonable doubts!
Old August 31, 2007, 07:21 PM
Cricket Guru

I have read Bulbul's interview with great interest. Thanks to Miraz for such an excellent piece.

My two cents on decentralization:

It does not make sense to me. For betterment of Bangladesh cricket, I believe we need a strong centralized professional league, and Dhaka premier league is currently serving that purpose. Bulbul himself said how DPL has helped us to gain international status. After all those years, DPL is still far far ahead of other leagues in the country in terms of popularity, competitiveness, organizational and financial strength.

Bulbul suggests us to follow the Sri Lankan model. Well, SL cricket thrives on a Colombo based club league and their board have no problem giving FC and List-A status to matches involving those clubs.The board had organized few provincial leagues in recent past, but after seeing how unpopular those leagues were, they abandoned the idea.

I don't think Bangladesh is big enough (unlike Australia or India) to be broken into regions. I don't see any problem cricketers, who want to take the sport as a profession, commuting to Dhaka even if they don't live there.

Regardless what a cricket crazy nation we are, I don't think we have the financial strength to support more than one professional league (Corporate league is a very relevant proof here). Also, by making the players play for three different teams in three different leagues (CCL, DPL, and NCL) in the same season, we are hampering the players from developing the sense of belonging to one team.

By ignoring the DPL (and trying to promote a picnic league according to Bulbul), BCB have actually weakened the strength of our domestic structure in last few years. What they need to do is to pour more money into DPL and ask the clubs to start a FC league in parallel to existing oneday and twenty20 leagues. Clubs should be also told to start age levels teams to groom talents.

One objection against DPL is that it has too many teams and teams such as Old DOHS and Indira Road have big strength difference. Well, this problem can be solved by breaking the teams into two tiers with promotion and relagation (like English county league).

This does not mean leagues outside Dhaka should be ignored. BCB should also make it a priority to revive leagues in places like Chittagong, Mymensingh, Khulna, Rajshahi, and Sylhet. If financially possible, BCB should encourage top clubs from those areas to join Dhaka first division and try to gain entry into DPL (like Young Pegasus from Rajshahi did).

BCB can also continue to run a league for division/district based teams excluding DPL players that will help them spot talents outside DPL.

PS: I was born and brought up in a city 200 km away from Dhaka. I can assure you that there is no reason to think I am emotionally biased towards our capital city.

Last edited by Eshen; August 31, 2007 at 08:26 PM..
Old September 22, 2007, 03:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Bulbul finally found a decent job, but not from BCB.

AMINUL ISLAM IS NEW ACC DEVELOPMENT OFFICER
Quote:
Aminul Islam, an international cricketer for Bangladesh for 17 years, has joined the ACC as their fifth Development Officer.

The countries under his remit as ACC Development Officer are Brunei, China and Myanmar. His first assignment is in Chongqing for the Chinese Cricket Association.