facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 15, 2003, 06:53 AM
Forever Bangy

Default Your favourite book?

before you click the back button...

ok i'm at the library and after looking for a couple of books which turn out to be borrowed, i find myself at a complete loss at what to borrow because i've run out of books that i know of. so i end up borrowing a book i've read before.

i was wondering if any of you could help me by posting your favourite book or one that you like. i tend to stay away from sci-fi/fantasy but i'll try anything if it sounds good. also i've just read Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre in a row, so i'm sort of sick of that courtship/love in the country, industrial revolution era sort of stuff.

well my fav book definitely has to be Tandia by Bryce Courtenay (yes it is the one i borrowed) the brilliant sequel to The Power of One.....for those of you who haven't heard of it- it's in 1950's South Africa about a coloured girl and what happens to her. But only read it after The Power of One and it'll make your reading experience perfect

Old October 15, 2003, 07:11 AM
ODI Cricketer

Different kinds of book i like most.I like science fiction,ditective,horror.

I like all knds of book to read.But like to read Sunil Ganguly's"Kaka Babu and Santu" Satyajit Roy's"Feluda" etc.

Old October 15, 2003, 08:11 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Dostoyevski's - Crime And Punishment
Conan Doyle's - Sherlock Holmes - "Study in Scarlet" and "Hounds of Buskervilles"

Bangla:
1. Humayun Ahmed's - Kobi, Jonom Jonom, Opekkha, Debi, Nishithini, and some of Himu and Misir Ali series.

2. Sarat Chandra's - Choritrahin, Debdash

And finally my most fav book is God's Quran

[Edited on 15-10-2003 by nasif]
Old October 15, 2003, 09:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Mona, this is an interesting post. My list probably reflects my reading habit which could be characterised as impulsive with a wide spectrum of subjects. I also dabble into foreign books for no apparent reason.
Anyway, here is my impromtu list (not ranked in preference):

-Feynmann's lectures on physics
-Stephen Jay Gould-anything, "The Flamingo's smile" comes into mind.
-Soren Kirkegaard-"attack on christendom". A truly fascinating philosopher;neurotic and anti-establishment.
-Cialdini-"Influence"-for its incisive accounts of human psychology.
-Jack Kerouac-"Dharma Bums"- just a cool book.
-Sufi prose and poetry when I am down. Try "Way of the Sufi" by Idris Shah as an introduction.

Unfortunately, my bangla reading is limited to Satyajit Ray. Also, when I was a teenager I enjoyed a cute book by, I believe Ray's father, the name of the book I cannot recall. Actually, I started to read some of Sunil Gangophadhay's prose after watching one of Ray's film.
Old October 15, 2003, 10:30 AM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

Quote:

-Feynmann's lectures on physics

no offence dude but you really got to be kidding me... this book was my text for the Physics course last sem and everytime I started reading I dozed off.... but then again I am not much of a studybook reader so I guess it doesnt count much...

now about ma fave books:

''Foundation triology'' by none other but Asimov and also from him another book: ''The Robots of Dawn''...

Some Sidney sheldon books... I read them under the influence of my sis (and never regretted it). Specially these 2 books from Sheldon: ''The other side of Midnight'' and ''tell me your dreams'' are just awesome...

And Muhammad jafar Iqbal... what do i say abt this guy... almost all his Sci-fi are awesome... Best one in my opinion is ''noi noi shunno teen'' a must read for any Sci-fi fan... I read his books and imagine them being made into movies... they would make some kickass movies...

[Edited on 15-10-2003 by radicalsami]
Old October 15, 2003, 10:32 AM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

My favorite is mostly science fiction and fatasy. So I am rulled out autometically.

You should like reading Erich Maria Remarque 's books. There are many books, do a search.

My favorites are:
The Road Back
All Quiet on the Western Front
Old October 15, 2003, 10:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
''Foundation triology'' by none other but Asimov.
This book is also too long. Bradbury is a far better writer than him. Cheers.
Old October 15, 2003, 11:39 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
All Quiet on the Western Front
I read it recently and it was wonderful. I have been away from home for some seven years now, and the trip that the narrator makes to his home was like one of my homecomings and extremely touching
Old October 15, 2003, 12:59 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Mona

Power of one is awesome but I am yet to read Tandia...so when I get the opportunity..inshallah I will. My tastes in books is bizzarre and do not follow any pattern....There was a time, I would read every Agatha Christie book I could lay my hands on...then there were the classics...like "Mansfield Park"...and the good ol' Charles Dickens...another book that comes to mind is "To kill a mocking bird" ..one of the best...nowadays I don't get much time to read novels but sometimes make time to read a good light comedy like " The Inscrutable Americans"
Old October 15, 2003, 03:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

I am sorry.. I was at school library and I wasn't thinking and I recommended a stupid and boring book - actually that was the book on shelf there and I thought what the hell . I will seriously give my "discreet and discrete" reply in 20 minutes. Hopefully Raj bhai will not censor this one...

[Edited on 15-10-2003 by Orpheus]

[Edited on 15-10-2003 by Orpheus : came to senses]
Old October 15, 2003, 04:14 PM
Banned

I was an avid reader once. That changed for the opposite ever since I got into grad school and my thesis advisor grabbed me by my privates to squelch free all juices of literary curiosity that I had once possessed.

And now, work as an elecrical engineer has still not allowed me to claw back and seize that oh so peaceful but once intellectually rephlendent solitude that some cherish so much in their teens.

But my recuperation has begun - with the great comic characters that we all are so familiar with - Tintin and co.

Old October 15, 2003, 05:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Warning: Weak hearted, Law abiding citizens should not go further than this line. I have on my list many banned books.

First my opinion: Mona, what the hell are you doing here wanting recommendation from all these old people? Someone actually recommending you to read lectures on Physics? lol

Seriously, at age 15 - shouldn't you be reading "kuch kuch hota hai" by Koron Johr? Better yet, you can read the book "How to throw the perfect sweet sixteen party" by a russian girl name Neet Xis. The following books should be on every teen's self:
1) First Kiss by Cinderel Kissinger. (No relation to terrorist Henry Kissinger). Perhaps this book is too outdated for you because teens these days are so advanced. It's probably too late to read it anyway. If that's the case you can always try
2)Six inch off the root and I am thinking:Don't by Mary Creed. A nice swedish Lady.
A must teenager book by an author who studied this 50 years to write the following book.
3)Mood Swings by Demystry Menopause. She is an American.
The next book is worth a look for our Indian teen age chatters
4)Chatting Zone by Chatterjee Mukhepaaddei from Calcutta. Her book is very thuggish and she uses very shophisticated vocabularies such as "LOL", "LMAO".

There are two Bangla books that I wanted to recommend. We should all know our Mother's language well. I am afraid Raj bhai might be pissed if I name them. But I will name Humayun Ahmed's "Chokir Niche Nogno Ekti Fool". Great tragedy - better than your favorite "kothao kew nei".

Anyways, I think I gave you a lot of books. If you like them, I will be happy to provide with more - Cheers. :P
Old October 15, 2003, 05:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Pundit
I was an avid reader once. That changed for the opposite ever since I got into grad school and my thesis advisor grabbed me by my privates to squelch free all juices of literary curiosity that I had once possessed.
LOL ... How many liters of juice?
Old October 15, 2003, 06:10 PM
Test Cricketer

No offence orpheus but those books sound terrible.

Mona, did you get a chance to read Wilkie Collin's Woman in White? I think you'll like that.
Old October 15, 2003, 06:22 PM
Test Cricketer

Tintin

Have you read "The Little Prince" by Antoine De Saint-Exupery? It is a kids book but written for adults. The illustrations done by Saint-Exupery himself are absolutely charming.
Old October 15, 2003, 07:07 PM
BC Editorial Team

No, fab
Old October 16, 2003, 03:12 AM
Forever Bangy

Tintin- read it. it's gorgeous. it's not a kid's book at all. that's what it looks like but i'm sure it was intended for adults. like animal farm.

Orphy- how about no? those books do sound sh*t. in fact, they sound so crap i suspect their existence. come on, Demystry Menopause ??????

Rad- Sidney Sheldon?? my mum brought one home and oh my god, after every single sentence i was like 'this is bullshit'

Fab- not a fan of Wilkie Collins. I did an English essay on the Moonstone and i never even finished reading it.

Pompous- do read it. and like now, possibly. it's way better than Power of One, and that's not easy!

Everyone- thanks guys! i'll definitely try..uh...some of them! and keep them coming!
Old October 16, 2003, 04:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Mona

Read Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger. Also, read The Alchemist by Paulo Cuelho. Actually, everyone should read that. Its an awesome book. Takes about half an hour to read but you'll come away feeling so good! And of course, THE GODFATHER!!
Old October 16, 2003, 09:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by mona

Orphy- how about no? those books do sound sh*t. in fact, they sound so crap i suspect their existence. come on, Demystry Menopause ??????
HAHA ... you obviously are a smart girl! But you shouldn't let people down like that. I got feelings too you know!

By the way, I wrote a book myself. "Baam haater opokormo". Spent many sleepless nights writing it.

MORE "By the ways", is it me or are all those recommended books sound like the books they assign in High School? I always used sparknotes and my chapabazi. That equals to an A. Sometimes I got shocked and awed by my own chapabzi.

[Edited on 16-10-2003 by Orpheus]
Old October 16, 2003, 11:33 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Read Catcher in the Rye by J D Salinger.
Will girls like Catcher in the Rye ?
Old October 16, 2003, 09:30 PM
Cricket Legend

You don't think girls will like Catcher in the Rye? I dont know. I don't see why not.
Old October 16, 2003, 10:13 PM
BC Editorial Team

One reason why we love Catcher in the Rye is that we can identify some parts of Holden with us. It may not be the same for girls. I don't know.
Old October 16, 2003, 10:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Well, if Mona gets around to reading it, she can tell us whether its something girls would like.
Old October 17, 2003, 06:43 PM
Forever Bangy

haha ok i will read it then.

umm Nascer let's see...well i must say i like contemporary stuff better than those classics (you know the ones i mean). I hated Charles Dickens from the moment I tried to read Oliver Twist and he spent the whole first page explaining why he shouldnt tell us Oliver's birth date. Actually I liked A Tale of Two Cities, so i guess i don't hate him.

Foreign books. Foreign writers, I like. Anyone read Snow Falling on Cedars?..it's so sweet. umm what else. haha I don't hate sci-fi and fantasy it's just i've never tried them (except for Douglas Adams..does that count?) and fantasy seems so tiring, all the books seem to be in a series with a million books and thick as.

Fab has a big influence on what i read, what she reads i read, most of the time. sometimes i go find my own randoms but yeah. and i still haven't answered your question.

anyway it really isn't about me, just note you're favourites and i'll see if i could like them.

[Edited on 17-10-2003 by mona]
Old October 17, 2003, 10:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Nascer bhai,

You like PGW? Oh man, you and I are kindred spirits!! PG rocks man!