facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 8, 2007, 07:29 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default You have to have the attitude of bowling fast and hitting people: Aaqib Javed(To TC on BCB workshop)

Aaqib Javed talks to Tigercricket about the pace prospects of Bangladesh and his career as a coach (important excerpts):

Quote:
“They are very good learners and if they practice accordingly I hope that at least three or four will finally make it to the national team. ”

“After this camp the young pacers now know their duty and they need to work on it. I told them you are not allowed to play matches in three months time. Do not go to the nets. Work separately without the batsman. Try to do what you have learned from me. ”

“I really want to come back after three-four months to see the progress of these boys. ”

“I would love to work with the Bangladeshi pacers. Not only at the national level, at any level whenever an opportunity arrives I will come back Bangladesh again. ”

“And then finally the environment. That is very important. You have to prepare an environment where the bowlers can be encouraged to bowl fast. I think the only way to produce quality fast bowlers by providing them a favorable environment which we have in Pakistan. ”

“Fast bowling is all about character and attitude. You have to have the attitude of bowling fast and hitting people. That should be your motto. So for most of the Sub-continent the problem remains in the attitude. ”

“Look at Sri Lanka. In the 1992 World Cup they were almost at the same level as the current Bangladesh side or ever worse than that but they became world champions in 1996. For a similar kind of success in 2011 Bangladesh should concentrate on some particular areas. The batsmen should become skilled at dealing with the short-pitched ball and the bowlers should be encouraged to bowl fast and they should learn the art of reverse swing. They should also try to find a quality leg spinner in four years time. If you can fill these gaps and your current national players can continue their development, Bangladesh have a good chance of doing very well in the next World Cup in the subcontinent.”
Read full interview with questions here..

Old July 8, 2007, 08:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
“I would love to work with the Bangladeshi pacers. Not only at the national level, at any level whenever an opportunity arrives I will come back Bangladesh again. ”
Quote:
“Fast bowling is all about character and attitude. You have to have the attitude of bowling fast and hitting people. That should be your motto. So for most of the Sub-continent the problem remains in the attitude. ”
Quote:
Look at Sri Lanka. In the 1992 World Cup they were almost at the same level as the current Bangladesh side or ever worse than that but they became world champions in 1996. For a similar kind of success in 2011 Bangladesh should concentrate on some particular areas.
He has the right attitude as a good bowling coach. He seems to understand his business very well.
Old July 8, 2007, 09:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Ahmed bhai: Can you please edit the title/thread to mention that it's after the Pacer Hunt Camp? (or is it? sorry...couldn't read the report)

About his comments: It sounds like he's positive about it, and putting his mind to it. Some things he mentioned can be mentioned by virtually anybody...that shouldn't be considered as something "wow". He should rather focus on the technical difficulties...what is it that we're lacking? He mentioned the "environment" problem...which I think includes the whole infrastructure along with good seamer friendly pitches. This is good...but what about the bowlers? What technical limitations do they have?

I'm sure he knows the answers...and will work on them accordingly...but my questions are only to satisfy a thirsty bunch of fans.
Old July 8, 2007, 10:01 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Yes this is his interview during his 4 day 'Pacer Hunt' training campaigne in Dhaka. Please read the report.... you will know more about how he trained the BD young found bowlers in those 4 days (I did not quote that part here).
Old July 8, 2007, 10:03 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed_B
Please read the report.... you will know more about how he trained the BD young found bowlers in those 4 days (I did not quote that part here).
Mama, time nai. I would rather read the filtered comments than go through the whole report...after all, filter paper comes from Ahmed_B Inc.
Old July 8, 2007, 10:06 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

You lazy kiddo!
Old July 8, 2007, 10:19 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

What favorable enviornment is he talking about?
Old July 8, 2007, 10:44 AM
Test Cricketer

Very informative interview..
Old July 8, 2007, 10:50 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zia
What favorable enviornment is he talking about?
That's what I was wondering.

Presumably he means pace-friendly pitches and a culture where fast bowling is valued over accurate bowling.
Old July 8, 2007, 12:08 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

In terms of environment I think he emphasised on bouncy pitch and fighting batsman on the other end who can efficiently put the bowler into test. One interesting thing, he told them not to go to nets for 3/4 months.
Old July 8, 2007, 12:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
One interesting thing, he told them not to go to nets for 3/4 months.
I think that is to build confidence and work on themselves for a while, before they show up in the nets. Coz if they show up, and they see a big difference, they will probably like that change. Just my opinion though.
Old July 8, 2007, 12:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
I think that is to build confidence and work on themselves for a while, before they show up in the nets. Coz if they show up, and they see a big difference, they will probably like that change. Just my opinion though.
He suggested them for a few changes in action along with body positions. They probably would tend to go back to their original action if they go to net early before practicing the changes to adopt them. This may be another possible reason.
Old March 1, 2008, 07:07 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

I just wanted to bring this up, What Steyn did today was exactly what Aaqib was talking about, We had our Vice Captain who decides to try once in while not do Aaqib was talking about. Everybody could tell from his run up that he was giving 50% effort. Mashrafe Had a Swagger about him in the World Cup. Bowling Fast and Furious having a real "Mostan" like attitiude. Rajib bowls slower now but he's got that attitude to hit people he still bowls a shorter once every over and I feel once he learns to control his swing @ 135-140K he's gonna be !#@$% awesome He's great @ 125K now. The one part of our Fatullah test that i'll always remember and there was lots of great moments vs Australia was on the 5th day Australia needed 5 runs and Rajib hit Ponting in his head, had that fighting attitude stared the Best Batsmen in world down wasn't intimidated one bit.

Rafique said something today in his interview when he was asked what Bangladeshi spin bowlers have to do to become successful and he said you have to put your life into your cricket. "Jann doa lage" hours and hours in the nets. I feel this hold true for everybody and I feel our Mashrafe has lost his spirit. I know he had that spirit once before you can't come back from 2 knee operations and have the reputation that he's built being the spearhead of our attack.

We need a bowling coach that could tutor our fast bowling talents daily speak to them daily constantly be with them when on tour. Aaqib's loyaity will be to his country, but Waqar, Wasim, Donald, Andy Roberts. Bring someone we got some real talents ... I feel were about to lose our most Talented Mashrafe now. I can't stand to see him bowl like this a shell of what he once was and than 2-3 years or even 6-7 months down the line you might even lose Rajib.

Last edited by cricman; March 1, 2008 at 07:12 AM..
Old March 1, 2008, 07:12 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

totally agree. I think mash has forgotten the bowling principles. We need a bowling coach ASAP!