facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 22, 2008, 03:41 AM
BC Editorial Team

Default The Second Test Syndrome

The last five home series have been against Sri Lanka, Australia, India, South Africa and New Zealand and they show a pattern.

In the first Tests of these series, Bangladesh lost four of the five matches, but gained first innings lead in three of them and conceded a lead of only 19 in another. Bangladesh had a batting average of 24.76 while for the opponents, it was 32.44. Bangladesh took 75 wickets in these five matches, scored seven fifties and 2x100. The opponents took 92 BD wickets, scored 10x50, 4x100. All fairly respectable.

Now, the brief scores of the second Tests of the above series :

Bangladesh 234 & 201 Sri Lanka 316 & 120/0
Bangladesh 197 & 304 Australia 581/4 decl
Bangladesh 118 & 253 India 610/3 decl
Bangladesh 269 & 119 South Africa 583/7 decl

The margins are 10 wickets, innings and 80 runs, innings and 239 runs and innings and 205 runs. The Bangladesh batsmen scored 8 fifties. The opponents hit three fifties and 9 hundreds, including three double hundreds and two other scores over 150. The opponents lost 24 wickets, Bangladesh 80.

The bowling shows an alarming drop in the second Tests. Bangladesh had a batting average of 19.81, which is not much worse than the 24 in the first Test, but the bowling average is 92.08. In the 10 innings of the first Tests, the opponents never reached 400, and crossed 350 only once. The five innings in second Tests show three scores over 580 for not many wickets.

Old October 22, 2008, 03:47 AM
Cricket Legend

So we come close, then lose due to stupid mistakes by our players or umpires, and then get demoralized in the 2nd Test. We are one of the few Test sides around, who can play better in 4 of the 5 days, and yet lose the Test
Old October 22, 2008, 03:59 AM

Not funny but interesting stats, now you found another horrific record that we have to prove otherwise [against NZ].

It would be nice if you put on the brief scores of the first Tests and venues [both tests], I wonder if there is any relativity on venues too.
Old October 22, 2008, 04:05 AM
Cricket Legend

It's very simple, better batting and bowling will produce better results and Bangladesh cannot be demoralized ever, that would just ruin the game. And Ashrafool should be dropped, his captaincy is good but his playing ain't. Nice stats there Tintin the Moderator
Old October 22, 2008, 08:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
So we come close, then lose due to stupid mistakes by our players or umpires, and then get demoralized in the 2nd Test. We are one of the few Test sides around, who can play better in 4 of the 5 days, and yet lose the Test

Partially true. That is why a 2 test series is perfect for BD. It exposes there weaknesses, and allows them to work on something.

Bowlers just get too tierd, in both ways. Also, fitness may be an issue.

I wonder how the pacers of the past played 6 test series'? Maybe that rest day after the 3rd helped.
Old October 22, 2008, 08:44 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Second innings of second test is really really poor. They need to plan some activities before the second test match to get them refreshed as if it was the first test.

I think they simply get mentally tired of everything at that stage.

Thanks for the stats, Tintin
Old October 22, 2008, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Good thread. The upcoming test will be a real test of temperament.
Old October 22, 2008, 09:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Nice post Tintin.. wish our team management knows this!
Old October 22, 2008, 10:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Nice post. I am sure the team management does not know and if by any chance they come to know about it; they would do nothing. Remember ICL. Everything is now under carpet
Old October 22, 2008, 11:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Its a known fact. But, thanks to Tintin for saying it..
Old October 22, 2008, 11:49 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Good one Tintin.
I was thinking along the same lines.
Our surge in the first test quickly fades away in the second test for some reason.
I think its called consistency. One hit wonders will do no good to us.

After our commandable performance in the first test, hope the boys can back it up in the second and snatch a victory they thoroughly deserved.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old October 22, 2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

These stat show the visitors struggle on the first test to get used to the pitch and the weather, at the end they find their ground and win. On the second test, they play up to their ability and win convincingly.

I am afraid same is happening in the current series.
Old October 22, 2008, 01:13 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
Nice post. I am sure the team management does not know and if by any chance they come to know about it; they would do nothing. Remember ICL. Everything is now under carpet
You are wrong, Brother!

Quote:
BCB talks with courted players
Sports Reporter

With the latest development that some players were being courted with a big offer by an unauthorised Indian Cricket League (ICL) agent, the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) met with some players yesterday at it's Mirpur office.

The BCB officials met with nine cricketers including Mahmudullah Riyad, Imrul Kayes, Dollar Mahmud and Shamsur Rahman to share views about what the consequence of joining the competition will be.

The board took the initiative as it was reported that vice-captain Mashrafe Bin Mortaza and opener Tamim Iqbal were offered to join the league with the 'Dhaka Warriors' although both the players confirmed that they had refused the offer.

"We met with the players to clear everything if they have any misconception about the competition (ICL). What we believe is that it's better to share the views with the players. We tried to give them a clear conception about what is the consequences of joining this league," said Ahmed Sajjadul Alam, BCB's media committee chairman who was present at the meeting along with Gazi Ashraf Hossain, Shakil Kasem and Jalal Ahmed Chowdhury.

"The few other issues also came to the discussion like the financial problems of the grassroots players. We pointed it out and will definitely try to do something on that issue," he added.

When asked whether they will issue a warning for those who were involved in the proceedings, Sajjadul said that "We are keeping a track on the proceedings and the cricket board will come up with an appropriate response for those who are found to be involved in this.
http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=59895
Old October 22, 2008, 01:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Good step BCB
Old October 22, 2008, 01:37 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

we need to play regular test like other teams if we want to improve our test cricket......bcb should talk 2 icc about it....remember we played test after world cup after 13 months and we just played test with nz after 7 months....
Old October 22, 2008, 06:17 PM
Banned

Fatigue - will be inevitable.

Only thing that can keep these boys interested, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed would be early success. Although, I expect the kiwis to also show signs of this problem. After all - they were pushed in all 3 ODIs and in the first test. Let's hope we see them breaking a trend this time.

I am most worried about Mashrafee. What if he opts out in favor of Rasel an Shahadat? He was grunting, and was visibly tired. If he is fit to stay, will he be in top form to perform well?
Old October 22, 2008, 08:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
Fatigue - will be inevitable.

Only thing that can keep these boys interested, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed would be early success. Although, I expect the kiwis to also show signs of this problem. After all - they were pushed in all 3 ODIs and in the first test. Let's hope we see them breaking a trend this time.

I am most worried about Mashrafee. What if he opts out in favor of Rasel an Shahadat? He was grunting, and was visibly tired. If he is fit to stay, will he be in top form to perform well?
I am always worried about Mash. We still have a few days to recover. Rest up and use Mash judiciously in practice sessions.
Old October 22, 2008, 08:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
we need to play regular test like other teams if we want to improve our test cricket......bcb should talk 2 icc about it....remember we played test after world cup after 13 months and we just played test with nz after 7 months....
We need more first class matches along with tests. Allow these players to hone their "techniques" in a less pressure filled environment.

As for this disturbing trend I think it is due to two things. The fact that opposition gets used to pitch, and second that we don't have a true wicket taking bowling. Someone whos always dangerous, strikes fear into the hearts of opposition -> basically a game changer. Our bowling attack on a flat pitch is pretty bad.
Old October 22, 2008, 09:08 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

i have a question: any of our players visit this cricket forum?

if team management would know how to operate computer and read BC forum, i dont think they would need any foreign adviser.
Old October 22, 2008, 10:56 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
..Mashrafee...He was grunting...
Yah... I was simply shocked and surprised to see that too! And I think not just Mash.. but almost all the BD players were overreacting to the situation. They over-stressed themselves. Ash kept experimenting too much with bowling...like not giving a good long spell to the fast bowlers while the new ball was taken and over-used the successful spinners in the 2nd innings. It all seemed like the team (specially the captain) was trying to get everything too fast an in all sorts of unconventional ways. And when those did not work.. they simply had no more ideas left but to wait for NZ to make mistakes.

I do feel that over-excitement & maybe even over-satisfaction from the 1st tests resulted in a fatigue in these 2nd tests.
Old October 26, 2008, 04:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Too bad there is most likely noway to find out
how this syndrome got shaped out after some positive exposure in the first one.
Old November 21, 2008, 10:06 AM
BC Editorial Team

This is something silly. I am a little ashamed to post this, which is why this is tagged to another similar thread Another attempt to quantify something that we know from experience.

======================

The one thing that frustrates about Bangladesh batting is the way someone would come in and hit a few fine fours. Then just as we expect that he'll go on to a big score, he'll get out. There was a certain pattern in the Bangladesh first innings yesterday :

Fall of wickets, the batsman who got out & his score, and the score of the not out batsman at that point :

8/1 : TI 7, IK 0*
26/2 : JS 8, IK 5*
33/3 : IK 10, Ash 1*
33/4 : Ash 1, Jr 0*
50/5 : SAL 14, Jr 3*
59/6 : Jr 12, Mush 0*
71/7 : NI 8, Mush 4*
88/8 : Mash 5, Mush 12*
148/9: Mush 48, SH 19*
153/10 : SH 23, Mahb 1*

You would think that, normally, there is a higher probability that the one who is less settled would get out. But if you look at the Bangladesh FoW, except Mash, everytime a wicket fell, it was the guy who had the higher score who got out. The number of occasions when the guy with the lesser score got out (let's call it LSO !) was only 1.

In South Africa's first innings the "LSO" was 7. In Australia's first innings at Brisbane, it was 6 and NZ's was 7.

As a comparison, in the first Test against NZ, Bangladesh had 2 (out of 8) and 6. NZ 7 & 3 (out of 6) in their innings.

Don't know what the average value is. Possibly between 5&7. I haven't checked more scorecards but would hazard a guess that Bangladesh scores < 5 more often than others.
Old November 21, 2008, 10:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

Good one, Tintin. Another dimension of describing BD batting pattern. Probably there is a typo in the following

Quote:
71/7 : NI 8, Mush 4*
88/8 : Mash 5, Mush 1*
Old November 21, 2008, 10:20 AM
BC Editorial Team

Thanks. Fixed. Mushfiqur was 12* when Mashrafe got out.
Old November 21, 2008, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin
As a comparison, in the first Test against NZ, Bangladesh had 2 (out of 8) and 6. NZ 7 & 3 (out of 6) in their innings.
Interesting. Looks like they go out to get out. The longer they stay at the crease, the greater the probability that they will get out - an indication of how unsettled and consequently lucky they are to be able to stay for a couple of more deliveries than their partners, perhaps? So anyone who bats for a relatively longer period of time is able to do so not because he applies himself, but due to a fluke (at least most of the time, going by those numbers).