facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 23, 2010, 12:55 PM
Street Cricketer

Smile Fans views wanted for BBC!

Hello

I am a journalist writing for the BBC Sport website and am doing a piece looking at Bangladesh's 10 years as a Test nation.

As you people are the genuine fans of Bangladesh cricket I would love to know how you assess the Tigers' achievements in Test cricket.

What does the future hold? Who are the future stars and what makes them so good?

I assume cricket remains the most popular sport in the country. Are facilities at the clubs good? Are youngsters from all backgrounds encouraged to play the game? How much funding is there to enable the most talented young players to reach the top?

Is enough being done, whether by the BCB, the ICC or anyone else to invest in the future of Bangladesh cricket.

I really hope one or two will take the time to send me some replies! If you can tell me your full name, age, occupation, and city of residence then I will include your comments on my blog http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/oliverbrett/

Old February 23, 2010, 12:58 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Hello and welcome on board Oliver.

You have knocked the right place. All of your questions would be answered here.
Don't worry.
Old February 23, 2010, 01:00 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh
Default Welcome to BC

Divisional teams need more power and money (decentralization).

Interest among people is the highest.

Future!! we don't have crystal balls. Even then those lie. Looks promising with the current lot we have.

Wait till England finish the tour. You will have your own opinion when the wounds wouldn't heal.
Old February 23, 2010, 01:02 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Welcome aboard Oliver.
Nice to have you hear amongst us.
Yes, you are at the right place for your queries to be answered.
Hope to see you around after the tour is over.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old February 23, 2010, 01:08 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Players evaluation:
Collingwood has a horrendous swing!! His knee buckles up. shoulder dips!! From the T all he can do is a fade/hook or cut. No wonder he can't find his balls in the woods. Make sure you relay the info, his handicap of +8 is so much inflated. He would even loss to the caddies that the club house offers for 1st class services. OVER RATED!! OVER RATED!!!

Can Swan be considered as ducks?

Bd is prepared to provide Board with a ball rolling machine. No need to spike it up or anything!!

How are the South Africans doing these days!! Good prospects in Trott and Pieterson.
Old February 23, 2010, 01:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Shakib al hasan is the future global star of cricket ( if he is not yet )
BD is a very young team with huge potential on some players : Shakib, Rubel, Riyad, Tamim

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old February 23, 2010, 01:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Touche T_E..
Old February 23, 2010, 01:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

মিজান ভাই...মচেৎকার বাঁশ।
Old February 23, 2010, 06:33 PM
BC Editorial Team

Oliver,

Here's one arm-chair all-rounder's take:

What does the future hold?

I think Bangladesh has the wherewithals to be a mid-range power with the occasional season on top. We will never have the money, talent-pool or first-class infrastructure of an India, Australia or England but given the enthusiasm for the sport I can see us easily being consistently the #4 or #5 side in cricket.

Who are the future stars and what makes them so good?

My theory on future stars is that we are already seeing them. The likes of Tamim, Shakib, Mushy, Rubel will carry the flame for us. The main reason is their mental maturity. They are the first generation of cricketers who were "born" into Test-hood in that BD was already a Test playing country in their formative years; years that should continue for 3-4 more years given their youth. As such they are more able to handle the mental demands placed of an international player. Think about it ... On the batting front our top-order still implodes every so often. We still have the one innings of brain-farts. Yet this present side, more often than not, still comes up with a respectable total. Would you have expected that of the Bangladesh side from 5-6 years ago when the Bashars/Rafiques/Pilots were at their pomp? Look at the century conversion rates of late.

In terms of bowling, while we are incapable of taking 20 wickets on flat surfaces, give this present group some helpful conditions and they _will_ put you under pressure. Look at the number of pheiffer takers we have these days.

All this is proof that this present group has what it takes to be future stars. No doubt we will have a few more come up from the youth ranks. There is this leggie in the U-19 side who seemed to bamboozle your boys during the tour last year - I have high hopes for him.

I assume cricket remains the most popular sport in the country.
Yes, though soccer is making a much-needed comeback. Best sporting nations are where the young people play sports all-year round. At a young age one should be playing lots of different sports to foster athletism. As long as Cricket remains the only sport where we are world-class, it will remain numero uno.

Are facilities at the clubs good?
Sadly no. The local clubs still practice on concrete pitches and in the cities there is a major shortage of greens.

Are youngsters from all backgrounds encouraged to play the game?
Yup. Again, to borrow a line from Shakib who switched from soccer/footy, cricket is the one sport where a young boy or girl can aspire to play a world cup match. So definitely more encouragement - also parents are less likely to resist on grounds of education. Cricket is seen by many as a viable profession.

How much funding is there to enable the most talented young players to reach the top?
Can't comment on this. Perhaps Miraz?

Is enough being done, whether by the BCB, the ICC or anyone else to invest in the future of Bangladesh cricket.
Nope. We need a fully professional BCB and as long as political appointees dominate, it will continue to be a start/stop affair. We also the Indian board to be better stewards of the game. The top two first class sides should be invited to perform in an Indian first class tourney, with perhaps top sides from Pakistan and Sri Lanka invited as well. We need way way more A-tours for closing the gap between our feeble first class standards and the big leagues.
Old February 23, 2010, 06:36 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Welcome brother Oliver to BC!!

All I wanna say is I am bout ready to kick some a$$ with the bat and the ball!
Old February 23, 2010, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

What #9 said.
Old February 23, 2010, 07:40 PM
First Class Cricketer

Dear Oliver. Is there anyway you could avoid writing something like this. As you could you could understand, as BD fans we are not very comfortable about our past 10 years of Test performance. lol.
By the way, good to have you here.
Old February 24, 2010, 05:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Oliver,

I think Bangladesh has the wherewithals to be a mid-range power with the occasional season on top. We will never have the money, talent-pool or first-class infrastructure of an India, Australia or England but given the enthusiasm for the sport I can see us easily being consistently the #4 or #5 side in cricket.

My theory on future stars is that we are already seeing them. The likes of Tamim, Shakib, Mushy, Rubel will carry the flame for us. The main reason is their mental maturity. They are the first generation of cricketers who were "born" into Test-hood in that BD was already a Test playing country in their formative years; years that should continue for 3-4 more years given their youth. As such they are more able to handle the mental demands placed of an international player. Think about it ... On the batting front our top-order still implodes every so often. We still have the one innings of brain-farts. Yet this present side, more often than not, still comes up with a respectable total. Would you have expected that of the Bangladesh side from 5-6 years ago when the Bashars/Rafiques/Pilots were at their pomp? Look at the century conversion rates of late.

In terms of bowling, while we are incapable of taking 20 wickets on flat surfaces, give this present group some helpful conditions and they _will_ put you under pressure. Look at the number of pheiffer takers we have these days.

All this is proof that this present group has what it takes to be future stars. No doubt we will have a few more come up from the youth ranks. There is this leggie in the U-19 side who seemed to bamboozle your boys during the tour last year - I have high hopes for him.

Yes, though soccer is making a much-needed comeback. Best sporting nations are where the young people play sports all-year round. At a young age one should be playing lots of different sports to foster athletism. As long as Cricket remains the only sport where we are world-class, it will remain numero uno.

Sadly no. The local clubs still practice on concrete pitches and in the cities there is a major shortage of greens.

Yup. Again, to borrow a line from Shakib who switched from soccer/footy, cricket is the one sport where a young boy or girl can aspire to play a world cup match. So definitely more encouragement - also parents are less likely to resist on grounds of education. Cricket is seen by many as a viable profession.

How much funding is there to enable the most talented young players to reach the top?

Nope. We need a fully professional BCB and as long as political appointees dominate, it will continue to be a start/stop affair. We also the Indian board to be better stewards of the game. The top two first class sides should be invited to perform in an Indian first class tourney, with perhaps top sides from Pakistan and Sri Lanka invited as well. We need way way more A-tours for closing the gap between our feeble first class standards and the big leagues.
Very nice summary Razab

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old February 24, 2010, 10:36 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Hi Oliver

I've read a few of your blogs and I'm not sure about calling Mushfiqur Rahim a 'solid glovemen'. Take a look out our 2010 Dropped catches thread. I'll be keeping a look out for your articles on the bbc website, which if I may add is difficult to find.
Old February 25, 2010, 06:46 AM
Street Cricketer

Razab

Thanks so much for your excellent reply. Are you the editor of this forum? Can I quote you in my article? What is your full name? And waht do you do when not editing Bangla Cricket?

Thanks

Oliver
Old February 25, 2010, 09:05 AM
BanglaCricket BPL Fantasy League Winner 2012

Favorite Player: To Bash = AshDaFool

Hi,

--Bangladesh are well towards becoming a power house within next 10 years (3rd to 6th). A golden generation of cricketers might put them on the top occasionally.

--Current lot: Tamim, Junaed. Rakib, Shakib, Mushy & Rubel.
Next few years: Saqlain (SLA), Ariful (MF-AllR), Anamul (Bat-W), Sabbir (LB-AllR), Nasir (OB-AllR), Mithun (Bat-W), Rony (Bat) and few others are potential stars.
These guys know the game better, more fit (both physically & mentally), and took cricket more professionally.

--Not yet. Most of them practices on borrowed/hired grounds. But there are few exceptions as well (i.e. Kalabagan sports club, Old DOHS)
But few major clubs of Dhaka & Chittagong took initiatives to increase the facilities in future.

--It become a good profession now a days. Parents are encouraged to send their kids to the ground. Cricketers are becoming super-star in out country. Socially, ppl from different level plays the game and get appreciated from around. My 12 years old cousin is encouraged to play cricket while I was the one who suffered curfew (!) from the same family...

Not that much till now. Though, from this year, BCB will provide scholarship to few young players of the Academy team. Still, on private level, lot of ppl and organizations are pulling up the talents, giving them support and encouragement. Things are only getting better in this level (no statistics, just from personal experiences). Lot of new teams (and stronger) is coming up from 3rd division and its qualifying round (Dhaka premiere league) with private funding.

I fully agree with Mr. Razab, when he says: "Nope. We need a fully professional BCB and as long as political appointees dominate, it will continue to be a start/stop affair."
They (cricket authority) have to concentrate more to develop cricket facilities (i.e. grounds, practice) in all over the country. BCB took initiatives for division wise (we have six division till now, two more is coming up) centralization, and hope it will pay of in future.

M. A. Khan
Student, MSc in Computer Science
Blekinge Institute of Technology, Sweden
&
Project Manager (IT)
Pinonline A/S, Denmark

Current City: Copenhagen
Old February 25, 2010, 09:32 AM
BanglaCricket BPL Fantasy League Winner 2012

Favorite Player: To Bash = AshDaFool

Hi,

duplicate post (edited)
Old February 25, 2010, 10:54 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Oliver,

Agree with Razabq.

Agree with Razabq on "born" into Test-hood thing and a few other points in the answer to this question. But I have some more points to add. There will always be a few future stars who will always be good enough for World Cricket. However, I have doubt whether the average age of the Bangladesh players will ever be over 30, and this is a major cause for our downfall in Test match cricket. As long as our first class structure does not improve, we will never be able to produce a player, a batsman with the ability or patience to bat and actually draw a test match.

To find out the cause behind this, looking at only last 10 years' performance will not do. You have to look at where our cricket was at the Associate level. Even back in 1990s, and perhaps from end of 1980s, we used to play lots of 50-over matches in our domestic cricket per single domestic calendar. The current stars of Bangladesh National Team is just the result of getting the infrastructure right for One-Day cricket. And of course, their technique and confidence is the result of playing test cricket in the last 10 years and results of our improvement in the age-level cricket. After all, most of the current stars came through directly to the national team from the age-group level.

In future, if for example, only T-20 cricket and Test cricket survives, then our future will be doomed. Because we have to start everything from all over again.

Agree with Razabq. However, there's one catch. Since cricket is the most dominating sports in terms of encouraging kids by their parents, many kids play just cricket and other sports is sometimes totally ignored, which is sometimes a disadvantage for any national cricketer.

Same answer - Sadly no. In order to describe the reason behind this, we have to go to a whole new topic. Will discuss that later.

Agreed. More points to add in short: Yet to hear another Rafique-like story. Also, I'm not sure if we have been able to reach out to the kids in villages who have not passed primary education level in schools - to actually become a national team player. But I'm sure we will be able to reach out to them soon, given the World Cup being staged in Bangladesh, and the number of years we're able to participate in World Cups in the future.

Perhaps there's a young boy around somewhere who is finding it difficult to get the bread and butter for a single day, and yet, he dreams of winning the World Cup for Bangladesh someday.

This is again a very big topic. Let me start by saying the following. It needs an expert eye to find out the most talented young players in age-level cricket. Since most of our administrators / selectors have not played Test cricket themselves, so it is a bit difficult for them to find out the most talented players with a naked eye; there also may be some confusion among the former cricketers and the Board, too. I mean, I don't see former cricketers who are not yet part of the Board or are not already working for the Board in some way or another, getting any chance to meet up with the Board members or the selectors to say, hey, I just saw this young anonymous kid and he's really good. There is CWAB - an association for cricket players, which is some way doing this job, from where Shafiul Islam has been found by the selectors, and is already in the national team, but the recent conflict between CWAB and BCB has raised many eyebrows among the communication gap between the Board members and the CWAB members.

In addition, we are yet to see a cricket organizer coming up and making a name for himself who has been encouraged by our gaining of Test status in the last 10 years of Test cricket. Somebody, for example, like the organizer of 'Nirman School Cricket'. I forgot his name, but I am sure many fans here can remind me. Nirman School Cricket was (Yes, was, its not functioning anymore) the largest and the most successful national young cricketer-producer and many former national players have started playing cricket through Nirman School Cricket. This is a failure on the part of Bangladesh that after elimination of such a large and such a successful cricketer-producer organization no such massive organization has come across in helping identifying cricketers and help them reach the top.

Having said that, there are many cricket coaching schools and academies turning up everywhere around the country founded by many cricketer organizers and both former test and former-non test cricketers. But none of them are yet to make a big name as the Nirman School Cricket, yet.

Also, one has to look at the age-level of the former test cricketers, I mean the names Akram Khan, Enamul Haque, Naimur Rahman, Aminul Islam Bulbul - who played in the First Test match against India, have only started their career at the organizer/management level just now. Akram Khan has been a national selector, Enamul Haque is an umpire, Naimur Rahman is the president of CWAB, Aminul Islam is also coach at some level for BCB, Minhazul Abedin, who was part of the World Cup 1999 squad for Bangladesh, is now the coach of the BD 'A' team / BCB XI team right now. Atahar Ali Khan is a commentator and used to be a selector.

About the funding part of the question - I believe BCB is yet to find a CEO after Macky Dudhia left and a CFO who are willing to work for themselves. Also, I am not sure if a financial statement is prepared for throughout the year; or whether the general public know how the funding (from sponsorship, gate money etc.) of the BCB is spent and at which areas. So, there's a big gap somewhere. Also, the general opinion of us fans is that most of this funding goes into the pocket of the BCB's most influential people. So, there's a big lack of transparency there.

enough being done, whether by the BCB, the ICC or anyone else to invest in the future of Bangladesh
cricket.
Agree - Nope.

Last edited by fwullah; February 25, 2010 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: Continuation ...