facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 18, 2010, 04:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

I wonder what is our IQ level as a nation, as a cricketing country, as team management, as fans etc. as
compared to the rest of the world. Who are the smartest people in the world?

Old March 18, 2010, 04:55 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyme
I. Who are the smartest people in the world?
The chinese?
Old March 18, 2010, 04:56 PM
ODI Cricketer

Totally agree. What a joke of a pitch it was.
Old March 18, 2010, 05:10 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
Why are you guys so defensive? Its a very good point..the pitch should not be so flat..but then again we are BD and we cant really score on any other wicket..and someone said we batted well? Really? Not even putting 350 in both innings and we batted well? On such a flat pitch we should really put up scores 350-400 in each innings..test match cricket in general should have sporting wickets in order to get results but KP had 2 realize we are not on their level yet and so a result will come out no matter what pitch we play on..so i think kp makes a good point that these of picthes are bad 4 test cricket..
Yes, KP makes a good point about the pitch. But in this case, he has to realise a very lively pitch could've made the game quite one-sided. Nevertheless, a bit more life on the pitch can't hurt. And the pitch should have spin on it from late day 3.

I fwe constantly make this kijnd of wicket, we'd never get good fast bolwers, just like India.
Old March 18, 2010, 05:21 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
This is nothing new. Pietersen is trying to bully BCB and curtaors to get a pitch suitable for England team. They had to struggle to defeat Bangladesh in Chittagong and now they want to do it easily on a responsive surface for the English bowlers. Graeme Simth did the same after the Dhaka Test.
Prothom Alo summed it up properly:

Quote:
খেলা হবে বাংলাদেশে আর উইকেট হবে পিটারসেনদের মনমতো তা তো আর হয় না!
Old March 18, 2010, 05:44 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TIK47

I'd rather have someone calling the pitch a joke than our team.
Another sign that we are improving
Old March 18, 2010, 06:56 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
This is nothing new. Pietersen is trying to bully BCB and curtaors to get a pitch suitable for England team. They had to struggle to defeat Bangladesh in Chittagong and now they want to do it easily on a responsive surface for the English bowlers. Graeme Simth did the same after the Dhaka Test.
Struggle? Ya we did put up a fight but we all knew england was gonna end up winning..it was gonna be a win for them ever since they scored 599 in the 1st innings..we couldnt get them all out in either innings so they really didnt struggle..maybe a little frustrated with big Z and mushys partnership..
Old March 18, 2010, 08:25 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
Struggle? Ya we did put up a fight but we all knew england was gonna end up winning..it was gonna be a win for them ever since they scored 599 in the 1st innings..we couldnt get them all out in either innings so they really didnt struggle..maybe a little frustrated with big Z and mushys partnership..
Agreed.
A resistance from BD made them frustrated and unhappy, now whining for the pitch.
Who cares? Every country makes the pitch to be in their favor.
BD is not an exception, and must not.
Old March 18, 2010, 08:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

Well he has a point. Dead pitches like that really turn you of tests....

Hopefully the Dhaka pitch is better.
Old March 18, 2010, 08:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Miraz,

That pitch *was* suitable for the England team.

It was a road. It didnt turn. They had more disciplined fast bowlers, and more disciplined batsmen. Even if you say the slow bowling was about equal, that means they are more likely to win on a road.

Ian Whitchurch
Old March 18, 2010, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FagunerAgun
Agreed.
A resistance from BD made them frustrated and unhappy, now whining for the pitch.
Who cares? Every country makes the pitch to be in their favor.
BD is not an exception, and must not.
WE did not make a pitch that in our favor - we made a pitch (followed by an appalling toss decision) that ensured the result barring a few highlights for us poor Bangladeshi fans.
Old March 18, 2010, 10:11 PM
ODI Cricketer

I disagree with the posters in here . BD need to drive in the home advantage .BD's home advantage is not turners but rather pitches with loads of runs .Sure the games might end up in a dull draw , but for a team that is desperately trying to avoid defeat its the best formula.

SL thrived on this , before the advent of Murali they prepared dead pitches.This gave them ample time to develop their batsmen without having to go through the ignominy of repeated defeats
Old March 18, 2010, 11:25 PM
Cricket Sage

ask him how he did in the practice match, he'll tell you all about it.
Old March 18, 2010, 11:27 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat
but for a team that is desperately trying to avoid defeat its the best formula.
as good as it sounds, avoiding defeats won't save us from the critics. so we have to plan to win, if we never plan to win, we will never win.
Old March 19, 2010, 02:14 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib Al-hassan

Who cares? You are visiting here, so get used to it! You won't make changes your wickets when BD visits England. Moreover, England is lucky enough to practice warm up matches at the same venue. Enough hospitality is shown to you guys!
Old March 19, 2010, 03:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Strategically, we need to build flat pitches, because at this point in time, we would be happy to just draw the match. Every country tries to make the pitch that suits their purpose. Sporting pitch or what-so-ever is in the book only. Result matters!
Old March 19, 2010, 03:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Baundule,

The only problem with that theory is that Bangladesh do not have stick-to-it batsmen who can grind out a slow day's play.

They do, on the other hand, have batsmen who (if the day is right) can hit a hundred in a session.

Me, I say if you wouldnt fix a game with drugs, and if you wouldnt fix a game with thugs, then dont fix it with curators.
Old March 19, 2010, 03:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangladesh_sy
as good as it sounds, avoiding defeats won't save us from the critics. so we have to plan to win, if we never plan to win, we will never win.
sy bhai, Do you really think that we have improved that far to win against England in test in 'sporting' pitches? A draw smells much better than a loss in three days. About the improvement, we should proceed step by step. What-ever the pitch might be, it is not easy to 'concentrate' hard over several sessions. A flat pitch would at least help us in building confidence and attitude.
Old March 19, 2010, 04:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW
Baundule,

The only problem with that theory is that Bangladesh do not have stick-to-it batsmen who can grind out a slow day's play.

They do, on the other hand, have batsmen who (if the day is right) can hit a hundred in a session.

Me, I say if you wouldnt fix a game with drugs, and if you wouldnt fix a game with thugs, then dont fix it with curators.
It's the problem with the application; but why not trying to maximize the home advantage? For us, the aim was clearly avoiding a defeat.

About hitting a hundred in a session, that has happened only when the match has already been gone. Then the opposition did not have the intensity and/or our batsmen were playing out of frustration, hitting everything on their way and just being lucky. The key point is, we have never batted quickly in a planned way to win a test match.
Old March 19, 2010, 04:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baundule
It's the problem with the application; but why not trying to maximize the home advantage? For us, the aim was clearly avoiding a defeat.

About hitting a hundred in a session, that has happened only when the match has already been gone. Then the opposition did not have the intensity and/or our batsmen were playing out of frustration, hitting everything on their way and just being lucky. The key point is, we have never batted quickly in a planned way to win a test match.

Oh yeah, and the game was still very much live when Sakib scored 99 in a session in Hamilton - I was sitting with some very nervous NZ fans.
Old March 19, 2010, 05:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW

Oh yeah, and the game was still very much live when Sakib scored 99 in a session in Hamilton - I was sitting with some very nervous NZ fans.
Ian, It is all about taking home advantage, it is not about listening to sermons, because the world is not fair. I am not talking about not improving the game; but as everyone else is taking the same advantage, being the saints and fair (in British definition) is not a good option.

And in the Hamilton test we were 5 down for something like 60/70 runs chasing 400+ in the fourth innings. I do not think that anyone with some cricketing history would think that there was any question of winning the match. What Shakib was doing is just slogging fearlessly, because win was already out of the list of possibilities. He was not batting with the 'plan' of winning.
Old March 19, 2010, 05:25 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Ten years; we still talking about honourable defeats??

This is not 1950.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 19, 2010, 06:10 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara, Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Ten years; we still talking about honourable defeats??

This is not 1950.
There is no honor in defeat. Nobody remembers a looser no matter how they played.
Old March 19, 2010, 07:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: TIK47

Whats the point of playing a match if even before you start playing you are already thinking of a loss or draw. You have to plan and make a strategy to win. this plan then evolves depending on match situation. If it seems like after playing your best that a draw is the best you can get then your plan and effort should reflect this. However you should never plan for draw and if the team ever plans for a honorable defeat before the game then we should stop playing.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old March 19, 2010, 08:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baundule
sy bhai, Do you really think that we have improved that far to win against England in test in 'sporting' pitches? A draw smells much better than a loss in three days. About the improvement, we should proceed step by step. What-ever the pitch might be, it is not easy to 'concentrate' hard over several sessions. A flat pitch would at least help us in building confidence and attitude.
Baundule bhai i don't see how flat pitches will get us a draw. Remember dhaka test last year, Smith and Mckenzie piled up 400+ in the opening partnership alone? we wouldn't want that all over again do we? our batting maybe improving, but its still not good enough to bat out 5-6 sessions on a regular basis. If we don't give our bowlers something to work with, opposition will pile up 600+ run easily, and we will fall on follow on.