facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 19, 2010, 06:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital
Default Facebook Fiasco on drawing Muhammed (pbuh)'s pictures: What Muslims should do!

Personally, I would have just loved to ignore all these and let the haters do what they like until they please. But seeings the rage it has created among our Muslim brothers and sisters, I just wanted to point out to couple of this articles and a video, so that we all have advice on how we should react to all these, or whether react at all.

Article number 1: http://pakistaniat.com/2010/05/19/fa...draw-muhammad/

Facebook Fiasco: What Would Muhammad (PBUH) Do?

Quote:
Regardless of what your belief or religion might be, to throw out offensive and hateful vitriolic for the simple and primary purpose of hurting someone else’s feelings - when you know that (a) those feelings will be hurt and (b) when hurting those feelings is really the only purpose of doing what you are doing - is inhuman, cruel, and clearly offensive. If Facebook does not recognize that, then it knows nothing either about “social” or about “networking” and certainly not about “community.”
Quote:
So, why should I dignify it by a visit? Why should I publicize it? Why should I give it the attention it was created to seek.
Quote:
We have been acting exactly as the creators of that page intended us to. Acting as the promoters and publicists of that page.
Quote:
The only people who have turned this from nothingness into a huge issue is us. I am sure that those who set up the page are jumping up and down and thanking us for making their page such a huge success!
Quote:
Nearly certainly Muhammad (PBUH) would have handled it with grace, with composure, and maybe even with a touch of good humor.

Article number 2: http://www.islamic-book-depot.org.uk/abuse.pdf

Islam’s teaching on response to
abuse and mockery

Muhammed (pbuh) says:
Quote:
The Muslim who mixes with the people and bears patiently
their hurtful words, is better than one who does not mix with
people and does not show patience under their abuse.
Allah SWT says in the Holy Qur'an:
Quote:
You will certainly hear much abuse from the followers of
previous books and from the idol-worshipping people. And if
you are patient and keep your duty — this is surely a matter of
great resolution.
[Al Qur'an — 3:186]
Quote:
''When you hear Allah’s messages disbelieved in and mocked
at, sit not with them until they enter into some other discourse.''

[Al Qur'an — 4:140]
Muhammed (pbuh) says:
Quote:
Certainly not. I will not mutilate anyone, for God would
mutilate me even though I am His Prophet.

Article number 3: http://islam.about.com/od/currentissues/a/cartoon.htm

What Would Muhammad Do?

Quote:
As Muslims, we need to take a step back and ask ourselves, "What would the Prophet Muhammad do?"
Quote:
Muslims are taught the tradition of the woman who would regularly throw trash on the prophet as he walked down a particular path. The prophet never responded in kind to the woman's abuse. Instead, when she one day failed to attack him, he went to her home to inquire about her condition.
Quote:
In the Quran, Islam's revealed text, God states: "When (the righteous) hear vain talk, they withdraw from it saying: 'Our deeds are for us and yours for you; peace be on to you. We do not desire the way of the ignorant'. . .O Prophet (Muhammad), you cannot give guidance to whom you wish, it is God Who gives guidance to whom He pleases, and He is quite aware of those who are guided." [Al Qur'an - 28:55-56]
Quote:
This unfortunate episode can be used as a learning opportunity for people of all faiths who sincerely wish to know more about Islam and Muslims. It can also be viewed as a "teaching moment" for Muslims who want to exemplify the prophet's teachings through the example of their good character and dignified behavior in the face of provocation and abuse.

Video: A non-Muslim guy's suggestions

Hope we reflect.

Salam!

Last edited by Purbasha T; May 19, 2010 at 07:35 PM..

Old May 19, 2010, 07:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Im a muslims myself.

I dont think drawing Muhammed is offensive at all. He was a man just like all the other prophets. If you take offense in him being drawn or ridiculed, then you must also take offense at Jesus being drawn and ridiculed.

My only problem with the group that incite hatred,
like the bomb on his head, he's paedophile, or depicted as violent, which suggest this is what Islam is about. Which is rubbish. The people who are behind this are complete islamaphobes. Which is the real reason why muslim should be up in arms. Its the faith you should be defending not the man.

Throughout the ages, there have been depictions of Muhammed looked like, but this was frowned upon in Muslims, but no one recieved death threats, only because of reason we should not worship Muhammed, that is shirk, one of the biggest sins of Islam.

But even today, Muslims have given such incredible adoration for Muhammed, that even a drawing an image of him is blasphemy, Im sorry but that is 'borderline' adering Muhammed as a god., which is completely forbidden. You cannot put Muhammed on the same status of God, to do so is shirk (Islam biggest sin)

Ironic isnt it?

Conclusion: South Park (anyone) have the right to draw Muhammed, in a way that doesnt incite hatred for Muslims or Islam

References

[2:136] Say, "We believe in GOD, and in what was sent down to us, and in what was sent down to Abraham, Ismail, Isaac, Jacob, and the Patriarchs; and in what was given to Moses and Jesus, and all the prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction among any of them. To Him alone we are submitters."
Old May 19, 2010, 07:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Sorry I'm no pro thread-opener, so the fonts might look a bit messed up. :|
Old May 19, 2010, 07:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Yes, Nafi. That's the point, we should react the same in the case of other prophets as we do in the case of Muhammad (pbuh). But in the first place, we should hardly react as vigorously as some do. Though who knows how much of those protests are just made up by the conspirators.

And in general, we Muslims shouldn't draw pictures of our prophets as none of us has seen any of them, and we wouldn't do justice to the grace and charm that Allah had provided them with when they were alive. (Well, that's just my opinion) But if someone does, he doesn't deserve a punishment or something. But again, when the only reason for drawing the pictures is to annoy a group of people, then it's in no way acceptable. BUT that doesn't mean we go out there and create a mess in the street.

And as we know that all this campaign is trying to achieve is the attention, I'd rather see everyone ignoring it until the fire dies out itself. Or, use it as an opportunity to promote Islam with its true light.
Old May 19, 2010, 07:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Old May 19, 2010, 07:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Join this FB group that is against the ''Draw...'' activity (so you can get hold of that video about the prophet and promote it): http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...7916358&ref=ts and http://www.facebook.com/pages/Everyb....4190908596..1

Edit: Don't bother reporting that ''Draw..'' group. If FB hadn't yet removed it, then they wouldn't anymore no matter what.
Old May 19, 2010, 07:33 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

People that are simply out there to cause pain in another person's mind are simply pure low lives. This is very racist from this so called facebook publishers. It is such a weak and pathetic of an effort just to ridicule or poke at some one else's deep sacred faith!! These people make the Nazis look like teletubbies...hahahaah!
Old May 19, 2010, 07:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Umm...most of the folks that are drawing him are non muslims. so my question is why should they care if it is against our religion to draw Mohammed. They dont have to follow what we have to do. People who are over reacting are idiots.
Old May 19, 2010, 09:41 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Dear Naf,
I have a question for you. May be you need to do some digging before you answer.

Mecca was established by Ismail (A). How did they (people of Mecca) start worship idols at the time of Muhammad(PBUH)? Can history repeat itself?

As a Muslim, to protect the generations after you, you should have problem with someone depicting Muhammad's image. I am not asking to react like what is going on in some part of the world but I am saying you should have a problem with that at least in your heart.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; May 20, 2010 at 10:12 AM..
Old May 19, 2010, 09:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Dear Naf,
I have a question for you. May be you need to do some digging before you answer.

Mecca was established by Ismail (A). How did they (people of Mecca) start warship idols at the time of Muhammad(PBUH)? Can history repeat itself?

As a Muslim, to protect the generations after you, you should have problem with someone depicting Muhammad's image. I am not asking to react like what is going on in some part of the world but I am saying you should have a problem with that at least in your heart.
While i agree with what you are saying, I still dont get why some people( not here in BC) are trying to impose our beliefs on others that dont follow our religion?
Old May 19, 2010, 09:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Why my belief in the Prophet's message of the Quran is so secure, my love for the man is great, but why is it I dont have a problem with it at all.

Why is it a problem to you, why would it offend you?
Old May 19, 2010, 10:17 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Speaking of chaos, look what happened here.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

The people who have organized this event are within complete legal boundaries to do so (here in the United States). The Freedom of Speech guarantees it.

That being said, its an insensitive move for the most part. Some of the participants are sincere in efforts because they believe they are defending the FoS from radical Islamic contingents ... but from some of the pictures I've seen already, it seems more like an outpouring of hatred for the Muslim community (some parents are even having their 3-4 year olds draw severely offensive stuff. They are definitely entitled to, but I wouldn't raise my kids that way.)

With THAT being said, Muslims still have ZERO JUSTIFIABLE reasons to physically harm anyone over this. I agree with Bancan: we shouldn't expect non-Muslims to adhere to the standards of Muslims.

My two cents to deal with it: IGNORE it. Its like a scab: the more you pick at it, the worse it'll get.
Old May 20, 2010, 09:52 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
With THAT being said, Muslims still have ZERO JUSTIFIABLE reasons to physically harm anyone over this. I agree with Bancan: we shouldn't expect non-Muslims to adhere to the standards of Muslims.

My two cents to deal with it: IGNORE it. Its like a scab: the more you pick at it, the worse it'll get.
You are absolutely right muslims have zero justifiable reasons to physically harm anyone over this, those that do harm people are the ones that give us Muslims bad name. But from a legal stand point Muslims are well within their right protests under the freedom of speech/religion. I don't think we should just sit down and do nothing about it. Today they are drawing our prophet's picture, they already called him a pedophile, tomorrow they will do something else. why should we just sit down and ignore it? we have every right to stand up for what we believe in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
Its the faith you should be defending not the man.
When we say Kalima and call become a Muslim we accept that Allah is the one and only God and Prophet Muhammad S.A.W. is our Prophet. with that statement we are not only accept him as our prophet we are also accepting everything he has passed down for us to follow, everything he represents. Prophet S.A.W is part of our belief, and when someone says something about him that is not true (for example calling him pedophile) that person is challenging our belief. Nafi that is why you should defend our prophet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
While i agree with what you are saying, I still dont get why some people( not here in BC) are trying to impose our beliefs on others that dont follow our religion?
They don't have to follow our religion in order to respect it. we are defending our belief not imposing on them. If I can convince one person not draw our prophets picture that doesn't make him a Muslim.

Last edited by Ajfar; May 20, 2010 at 10:12 AM..
Old May 20, 2010, 10:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Nafi why should we defend the Prophet? Because he fought for us and loves us more than he loves himself. So it is our duty to love him back and fight for him. And before anyone starts jumping I don't mean fight with violence. In today's world there are much more effective tools to fight with than violence. Allah has instructed us to love the Prophet more than our parents and while that may not be emotionally possible for some people, myself included we should at least try to hold him in the same regard as our parents. Now imagine if someone was spreading this nonsense about your father, calling him a pedophile etc. Wouldn't you be enraged? We should have the same rage for these activities.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:11 AM
Cricket Legend

This started because of a South Park episode where Muhammed was shown in a costume. This lead to a group to send death threats to the creators of SP.

This whole thing could have been avoided if some idiots didnt start sending death threats.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Nafi why should we defend the Prophet? Because he fought for us and loves us more than he loves himself. So it is our duty to love him back and fight for him. And before anyone starts jumping I don't mean fight with violence. In today's world there are much more effective tools to fight with than violence. Allah has instructed us to love the Prophet more than our parents and while that may not be emotionally possible for some people, myself included we should at least try to hold him in the same regard as our parents. Now imagine if someone was spreading this nonsense about your father, calling him a pedophile etc. Wouldn't you be enraged? We should have the same rage for these activities.
Im not familiar with that verse.

Again I never said we shouldnt be angry about the offensive stuff, that stuff is a different matter, but still we shouldnt get violent about it. Thats not civilised. If some random person said my father was peadophile, I would simply just dismiss him, and show he's saying nonsense, if he continues, i'll just walk away.

but what South Park were doing was completely alright, they were not offending Islam or the prophet in a derogatory manner, and this is south park we're talking about, they were surprisingly restraint.Im very angry with Comedy Central not letting that episode air, it was their right.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

Again I never said we shouldnt be angry about the offensive stuff, that stuff is a different matter, but still we shouldnt get violent about it. Thats not civilised. If some random person said my father was peadophile, I would simply just dismiss him, and show he's saying nonsense, if he continues, i'll just walk away.

but what South Park were doing was completely alright, they were not offending Islam or the prophet in a derogatory manner, and this is south park we're talking about, they were surprisingly restraint.Im very angry with Comedy Central not letting that episode air, it was their right
Exactly. If anyone watched that South Park episode there was nothing in there that was offensive. Comedy Central should have aired the following episode without any censorship.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Why my belief in the Prophet's message of the Quran is so secure, my love for the man is great, but why is it I dont have a problem with it at all.

Why is it a problem to you, why would it offend you?
The answer lies in the question I have asked you to first. History is where we can learn and not repeat the previous generations mistakes. Specially the major ones!!
Old May 20, 2010, 10:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
The answer lies in the question I have asked you to first. History is where we can learn and not repeat the previous generations mistakes. Specially the major ones!!
Quote:
Mecca was established by Ismail (A). How did they (people of Mecca) start warship idols at the time of Muhammad(PBUH)? Can history repeat itself?
History is already repeating itself, muslims around the world are holding the myths/traditions (hadiths+tasfir) above Quran. They revere Muhammed besides Allah!

The problem are 'muslims' who cling to their traditions and are still thinking backwardly and not progressively.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:45 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Quote:

but what South Park were doing was completely alright, they were not offending Islam or the prophet in a derogatory manner, and this is south park we're talking about, they were surprisingly restraint.Im very angry with Comedy Central not letting that episode air, it was their right.
http://www.themodernreligion.com/pro...e-shafaat.html

I was talking about the facebook group. I detest South Park and don't watch it as I find it tasteless. But from what I have heard the episode in question was harmless and not offensive but as a Muslim I would prefer if it wasn't aired or at least the image of the Prophet was censored however I wouldn't be too concerned if it was aired since the content was nothing malicious. I'd just ignore it. Not airing it worsened the situation IMO. As someone said above we can't expect the non-Muslims to follow our beliefs and not make drawings of the Prophet. I believe for us as Muslims it is best if we just avoid watching it especially since it is a hazy issue so it is best not to risk it. The problem arises when the content is deliberately nasty and intended to hurt sentiments. There have been drawings of the Prophet for centuries but it has never been an issue but the facebook group is going out and downright insulting Muslims and the Prophet and is being deliberately provocative.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:48 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I was talking about the facebook group. I detest South Park and don't watch it as I find it tasteless. But from what I have heard the episode in question was harmless and not offensive but as a Muslim I would prefer if it wasn't aired or at least the image of the Prophet was censored however I wouldn't be too concerned if it was aired since the content was nothing malicious. I'd just ignore it. Not airing it worsened the situation IMO..
Exactly my point
Old May 20, 2010, 11:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

I was talking about the facebook group. I detest South Park and don't watch it as I find it tasteless. But from what I have heard the episode in question was harmless and not offensive but as a Muslim I would prefer if it wasn't aired or at least the image of the Prophet was censored however I wouldn't be too concerned if it was aired since the content was nothing malicious. I'd just ignore it. Not airing it worsened the situation IMO. As someone said above we can't expect the non-Muslims to follow our beliefs and not make drawings of the Prophet. I believe for us as Muslims it is best if we just avoid watching it especially since it is a hazy issue so it is best not to risk it. The problem arises when the content is deliberately nasty and intended to hurt sentiments. There have been drawings of the Prophet for centuries but it has never been an issue but the facebook group is going out and downright insulting Muslims and the Prophet and is being deliberately provocative.

You want them to censor Muhammed which is allright. But thats all they showed. Him in a bear costume.
Old May 20, 2010, 11:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

sorry for butting in. according to this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depictions_of_Muhammad, images of Muhammad weren't always considered blasphemous and there have been many muslims who have painted him.

meanwhile pakistan has banned facebook, youtube and wikipedia in the fallout of this controversy.
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-...w-Mohammad-Day
Old May 20, 2010, 12:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

And after facebook, Paki govt has banned youtube as well. http://www.ndtv.com/news/world/after...714.php?u=1325

Who needs a youtube, when xtube and zootube are there, btw!