facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 26, 2010, 04:17 PM
BD Correspondent, ESPNCricinfo

Default Story of a First Division League legend

Always on the up

Mohammad Isam

Nine years and nine cricket teams promoted to Dhaka's Premier Cricket League.

A talismanic streak of the like is unheard of, especially in a country where success has often eluded even very talented cricketers.

Salahuddin Ahmed, however, holds this unique record and he confirmed a ninth year extension to his already successful run when on Saturday, Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi Club earned promotion from the First Division Cricket League.

A right-handed top-order batsman who doubles up as a medium-pacer, and moonlights as a scout, Salahuddin led the Dhanmondi outfit to the top flight through a well-tested formula that begins with marking out players well ahead of the pre-season.

“I generally look for young players who have done well the previous season. Of course numbers are not the sole indicator. I always go for players who are modest and are responsive to my way of leadership,” said Salahuddin, who hails from Khulna.

“This year, our openers Abdul Majid and Mehdi Hasan, left-arm spinner Taijul Islam, all-rounder Al-Imran and Nahid all did very well.

“Of course there was team spirit but I also look into their behaviour, make sure they are not complacent after a few good scores. I also keep a keen eye on their body language,” he opined.

Majid, in only his second season as a First Division player, is already on 690 runs and the captain expects the right-handed batsman to step into the next level.

Before this season, 32-year-old Salahuddin played a major role in the promotion of Partex and Kalabagan Krira Chakra twice and once for four other teams.

Prime Doleshwar, Surjo Tarun, Gazi Tank and City Club have all had successful campaigns through Salahuddin's batting (in the early days) and leadership. The latter quality has played a major role in the last three seasons and evidently, the team has often remained calm under pressure.

“He has the quality to pick the right players. He always gets the right combination,” said Tayeb Afzal, former cricket secretary of Surjo Tarun, who earned promotion in the 2006-07 season.

“He is a professional and always gives 100 per cent in the field. He also has a great attitude,” he added.

Salahuddin also banks upon his Level One coaching degree when dealing with players. “I have learned that if a captain shouts down a player, it hampers his concentration. We play through muscle memory and it is perfected by a lot of practice so when that process gets hampered, we perform badly.

“I spend a lot of time observing players in the nets and I often tell them to strengthen their basics,” he said.

Bangladesh Cricket B0ard (BCB) also has a role to play, Salahuddin thinks, to encourage First Division cricketers. “The cricket board can arrange short camps for these players, just to encourage them. They will always come back stronger in the next season if they are recognised by the proper authorities,” he said.

He will lead out Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi Club for their last two games (against Partex and Baridhara Dazzlers) without knowing where he will play next season. “I haven't talked to any club yet,” he added.

Given his track record, any ambitious First Division team would like to be the tenth team to get promoted with him in the side.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=167604

Old December 26, 2010, 04:37 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

I just read it on "Daily Star" website. Isam bhai nice artcle on Mr Salahauddin.
Old December 27, 2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohammedC
I just read it on "Daily Star" website. Isam bhai nice artcle on Mr Salahauddin.
Thanks..he's a big star in that level..strange that he never plays Premier League..!
Old December 27, 2010, 12:25 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Thats pretty amazing story.
Yes, how come he never plays in the Premier League ?
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old December 27, 2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Thats pretty amazing story.
Yes, how come he never plays in the Premier League ?
If I was critical, it would be limitations in his game to play short-pitched bowling. I have spent a season with him..that's what I saw.
Old December 27, 2010, 02:46 PM

That was a good read Isam! Thanks. I remember Salahuddin sir coaching us at Abahani maath a few times back in 1996-7. A true professional.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Excellent article. Thanks.
Old December 28, 2010, 12:27 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

BCB should pay him to become a full time recruiter for the academy!!
Old December 28, 2010, 12:38 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

never understood what "first division", "second division", etc cricket was in Bangladesh...can anyone explain? and what was there standard?

perhaps if Mijan or Beamer bhai can make analogies to professional sports, NCAA, high school in USA it would allow me to understand the gulfs between such 'divisions".

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 28, 2010, 07:00 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
never understood what "first division", "second division", etc cricket was in Bangladesh...can anyone explain? and what was there standard?

perhaps if Mijan or Beamer bhai can make analogies to professional sports, NCAA, high school in USA it would allow me to understand the gulfs between such 'divisions".
\

lets see:
DPL - Dhaka Premier League
First Division Cricket League (Dhaka)
Second Division Cricket League (Dhaka)
Second Division Qualifying League (Dhaka)

as far as I know - each year 2 teams will get promoted to next level, two teams get relegated to lower league!

and ofcourse we have NCL!
Old December 28, 2010, 07:13 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Very good article, nice read.
Old December 28, 2010, 08:18 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

A picture of him could have been better.
Good article. We want more on these type of people who r the heart of the BD cricket.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old December 28, 2010, 10:04 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan

In terms of standard and the gulfs between the divisions, it's like the English county cricket. You have Division 1 and Division 2, where a couple of top teams from the lower division get promoted to the higher division and the bottom teams get demoted from the higher division to the lower division. India's Ranji league follows the same format with its Super League teams and the Plate League teams.

If you want to draw parallel with a north american major league sport, such as NHL, then:

DPL = NHL
1st Div = AHL
2nd Div = Junior leagues

Just that in our north american major leagues, its the players who get called up and sent down between the different levels of the leagues.

Our NCL is an entirely separate competition with a set number of teams with no divisions for teams to move up and down. So NCL is like having a set number of teams only to play under one single league with no conferences/divisions. And then there would be another league with some NHL teams in a "Premier Division" (i.e. our DPL), some AHL teams in a "1st Division league" and some junior teams in a "2nd Division league".

Last edited by Mahir; December 28, 2010 at 10:11 PM..
Old December 29, 2010, 07:57 AM
Cricket Savant

Credit should be given where it's due. The article was a revelation. Good job.
Old December 29, 2010, 09:56 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Lara, Tamim

His interview is in todays PA.
http://www.prothom-alo.com/detail/da...30/news/119574
We need this guy as BD's captain. :-)