facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 28, 2011, 04:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara
Default Our batting heroics during the world cup

The obvious failures against WI and SA clearly eclipse the real picture of our batting heroics during this world cup. We can try to analyze it match-by-match and see how we did really do.

1. Against India (283):
It was fascinating to see how Imrul started the innings. I have always wanted that we attack from both ends so that the opposition bowlers do not get any respite. This was a very good approach especially when we were trying to chase a big total. Junaed scored his usual 37; but Shakib and Tamim kept us in the match for a long time. But our PP strategy and team selection (lack of big hitters) got us down at the end. Ireland won the match against England taking the batting PP at the right time (reducing the rrr from near 9 to 7), while we scored only 47 runs in the last 10 overs. The score of 283 looks good on paper; but we have seen the team management adamant to solve these two issues.

2. Against Ireland (205):
It was another batting failure with no one having a reasonable contribution. Mirpur is a patience track, Sehwag in his innings of 175 was never aggressive, while our openeners wanted to hit everything like Hong Kong sixes. The Irish must be kicking themselves for throwing this match away. When Kevin played that lazy pull they needed only about 3.5 runs per overs. On our part, Shafiul and Ashraful the bowler did the job. It was a shame that instead of Shafi a wicket-thrower got the man of the match prize.

3. Against WI (58):
This was our most important match for the world cup. West Indies is not an able team against spinners and from our experiences of this pitch, we should have known that anything above 200 could be a winning score against them. All we needed is to see off the new ball. But ....

4. Against England (227/8):
The bowlers did a good job against a reasonably strong batting lineup. Our chase started well. Imrul played a very good innings and Tamim's jodi-laiga-jay worked until he was out. Shakib played a sensible innings to hold things together after a mini-collapse. But when everything was going towards the right direction, he threw his wicket away for an unncessary sweep. That is the opnening England needed and they came back strongly. At the end we needed a miracle innings from Shafi to chase down this small total.

5. Against Netherlands (166/4):
Bowlers did the job restricting the Dutch for 160. Imrul-Junaed and Nafees batted well to chase it down in 41 overs. I was pretty impressed with SN's performance. He tried to start like Afridi; but adapted quickly when he failed to do so. But he should have stayed till the end. Both he and Junaed got out in 30s (the old problem never got corrected), while IK played a very well-measured innings.

6. Against SA (78):
It was not easy to score 285 against a potent bowling attack, even though there were no Steyn or Morkel or Kallis (the bowler). The players succumbed under pressure.

So, in short we had major problems in batting even in our wins. Those problems include the inability to sustain under pressure against not-so-soft opponents, proper team combination (e.g., SN was not in the XI-plan also during the practices), lack of team plan (e.g., batting PP, opening or middle order or lower order batting), team selection (no #4, no quick scorer for PP). We certainly have more problems than the obvious ones (58 and 78). Similar things happened also in our all-conquering NZ series. But everything was eclipse by our apparent success. After the world cup, our players and management are trying to term these two failures as one-off things, while highlighting 3 wins as perfect or near perfect. I hope, they understand the overall picture and take corrective measures.

Last edited by Baundule; March 28, 2011 at 04:15 AM..

Old March 28, 2011, 04:14 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Accurate observations bro. As accurate as Malinga's swinging yorkers.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old March 28, 2011, 04:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

We batted poorly in 5 of the matches. I rate them out of 10 -

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old March 28, 2011, 04:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

A thread to state the obvious? Again?

Obviously you got a problem with your batting lineup. I mean, every bottom ranked team got problems with their batting lineup (Eng, WI, NZ). That's why they are ranked low.

Now the team has 3 players who could play the potential big innings viz Shakib, Tamim, and Imrul. Zunaid is out of form and gets starts, but fails to convert them into a big score. Same with Mahmudullah. So you are left with Mushfiq, and Raqibul, who I agree needs to be dropped.

About the PP, I agree about taking PP at the right time, but I can also understand why they're reluctant to take it. We have seen a lot of collapses in the PP for other teams - and BD themselves used to lose quite a few wickets in the PP. And due to the lack of batting depth, there's always a risk of not playing out 50 overs which is even worse. Since Kapali is back, hopefully that issue will be resolved now.
Old March 28, 2011, 04:43 AM
Cricket Legend

shakibrulz, the thread is needed because the team players and management are trying to highlight those 3 wins as all perfect things. In BC, you have certainly observed a set of fans are considering those 58 and 78 innings as one-off things. It is obvious to you and me, but not to many of us.

PP should be taken according to the match situation. There is no rigid rule for that. Against India we were chasing a huge total and we had to take it early. The fear of losing wicket does not apply in all cases.

As I told in another thread, I do not mind players getting out for an occasional duck; but when they regularly fail to capitalize on starts, they have big big problems. For Junaed you do not need 11 fielders, just use 3: the bowler, an wicket-keeper and a deep mid-wicket fielder. Bowl him one good length delivery one ft outside the off stump and he will be caught within 3 deliveries after missing to connect the first two.

Last edited by Baundule; March 28, 2011 at 04:49 AM..
Old March 28, 2011, 05:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baundule
shakibrulz, the thread is needed because the team players and management are trying to highlight those 3 wins as all perfect things. In BC, you have certainly observed a set of fans are considering those 58 and 78 innings as one-off things. It is obvious to you and me, but not to many of us.
Fair enough

Quote:
PP should be taken according to the match situation. There is no rigid rule for that. Against India we were chasing a huge total and we had to take it early. The fear of losing wicket does not apply in all cases.
See, I agree with you here, it's like stating the obvious over and over again. But what I said was I could understand why they didn't wanted to take the PP. This WC itself has witnessed a lot of collapses in the batting PP.
Quote:
As I told in another thread, I do not mind players getting out for an occasional duck; but when they regularly fail to capitalize on starts, they have big big problems. For Junaed you do not need 11 fielders, just use 3: the bowler, an wicket-keeper and a deep mid-wicket fielder. Bowl him one good length delivery one ft outside the off stump and he will be caught within 3 deliveries after missing to connect the first two.
Yeah that's an issue with him alright. Coming into the world cup, he scored 2 50's in Zimbabwe series. And now he's dropped when he is out of form. Sounds good to me.
Old March 28, 2011, 10:37 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: who else?

You calling Tamim as a wicket thrower against the Ireland game and questioning his MOM but I remind you if he didnt score a quickfire 40 we wouldnt be able to cross 150+. See what happened against WI and SAF. Tamim failed and the whole batting lineup collapsed. You have to realize Tamims role in the team is to score quick runs at the beginning so later on our slow batters can capitalize from the early runrate and build up some decent total. In this process he will fail but then batsman should follow plan B. Also Because of Tamim's quick innings against England not jodi laiga jai batting (excuse me he didnt get out on a jodi laiga jai shot against england) we won the game. Because of his quick batting Shfiul and Riyad didnt have to chase down 70 of 40 balls. So please dont blame Tamim for everything. If he is a jodi laiga type batsman then please show me a decent Bangladeshi batsman....
Old March 28, 2011, 11:01 AM
Cricket Legend

tiger_army, Tamim scored a duck against the Dutch and still we won the match comfortably. We did not need Tamim to whitewash NZ. So, the myth that we can not score 150 without him is not true.

Against Ireland he threw his wicket away at a very bad time, we just lost two wickets and even if his role is just scoring a quickfire 30/40, he should not have got out at that situation.

We won against England because Imrul was solid at one end and because of that Shafiul miracle. With 225 to chase, we were never under the required run rate pressure, survival was the key. We were getting allout, not failing in rrr.

Certainly in our team we do not have many decent batsmen. Imrul Kayes, within his ability, is the most decent one. Shakib comes 2nd in the list.

Tamim is the most capable batsman that we have. That is why I would like to see him as a match-winner, not as a quickfire guy. He has the ability (that 153 against Zim) and therefore, he should do justice to his potential and to the team's need.
Old March 28, 2011, 11:06 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

my best game in this world cup is shafiul's and riyad's batting in the match against england,it will always be with me