facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 8, 2011, 09:52 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaar
Got it, you've managed to hack into my inbox dr. Z.
He hacked into it long ago. He let you on it only today.

Old March 8, 2011, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
He hacked into it long ago. He let you on it only today.
Hush Shuja Bhai. Check your own inbox now. I had that under control since we first met virtually in 1990.
Old March 8, 2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Hush Shuja Bhai. Check your own inbox now. I had that under control since we first met virtually in 1990.
I knew! How else do you think I knew about Betaar's account?
Old March 8, 2011, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
I knew! How else do you think I knew about Betaar's account?
What, my homemade somosas did not help when you visited me in DE? Do you remember? That was after my visit to you in Rochester.

On topic: Even if this falls through, I would like us to keep the impetus going. We should start thinking of stuff we can do, especially after the world cup, when we Bangladesh Cricket will need us most.
Old March 9, 2011, 12:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Spoke to Mr. Mumit again around 9:30 this eve. He said he's able to change the deadline from midnight tonight to tomorrow (Wednesday) 10 pm cst. PA does not have a way to accept credit card payments. It's either cash or on credit for people who are their business clients. When I told him that we are having hard time finding a representative in Dhaka to make a cash transaction he said setting up account to account transaction will take time. But he asked me to call him in 2 hours as he will talk to his boss again and see if there's any other arrangement they can come up with. He also proposed that I try DS as they are setup to accept payments from abroad . Since I couldn't get a hold off anyone at DS, he said he will provie me with personal phone number of his DS contacts who can help us. But before that he'd like to find out other options in accomodating us. He even said, if need be we could try to make acct to acct payment arrangement even if it means they will get the money after they have published the ad on a good faith......but he needs his boss's approval first......fingers crossed.

I must say, he is a very nice person with very professional attitude and willingness to help that is greatly missing in all aspects of our business in Bangladesh.
Old March 9, 2011, 12:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
On topic: Even if this falls through, I would like us to keep the impetus going. We should start thinking of stuff we can do, especially after the world cup, when we Bangladesh Cricket will need us most.
Great minds think alike.

I do have a proposition, more like a charity project, that I'd like to discuss with you after the WC is over.

Last edited by betaar; March 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM..
Old March 9, 2011, 12:12 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
You don't want all

I will send psd, png, tiff
Btw - PA accepts AI and EPS formats. Can you convert to either?
Old March 9, 2011, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Btw - PA accepts AI and EPS formats. Can you convert to either?
check your inbox
Old March 9, 2011, 01:08 AM
Cricket Legend

So the latest update is PA is not setup to accept credit card payment, so we are out of luck. Unfortunately, as much as we think technology is everywhere and makes life easy, but not when we want to do business in Bangladesh. I just don't understand how dailies such as PA and DS, who welcome international adverts, don't have a way to accept credit card payment or have an agent here in US who can accept paypal or other forms of payments. But hats off to Mr. Mumit for trying.

Unless we have some one from Dhaka willing to help us out, I'm afraid this is it. It is just unfortunate that we couldnot use the donations that people agreed to. So far the total pledged amount is almost a $1000 accumulated within less than 2 days which is a fantastic testament of BC members' passion for cricket.So thank you everyone, even if we don't end up publishing, never stop suporting and NEVER STOP BELIEVING!!!
Old March 9, 2011, 01:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Quote:
So the latest update is PA is not setup to accept credit card payment, so we are out of luck. Unfortunately, as much as we think technology is everywhere and makes life easy, but not when we want to do business in Bangladesh. I just don't understand how dailies such as PA and DS, who welcome international adverts, don't have a way to accept credit card payment or have an agent here in US who can accept paypal or other forms of payments. But hats off to Mr. Mumit for trying.

Unless we have some one from Dhaka willing to help us out, I'm afraid this is it. It is just unfortunate that we couldnot use the donations that people agreed to. So far the total pledged amount is almost a $1000 accumulated within less than 2 days which is a fantastic testament of BC members' passion for cricket.So thank you everyone, even if we don't end up publishing, never stop suporting and NEVER STOP BELIEVING!!!
So whats the amount? Let me see if I can manage that with my limited savings.
Old March 9, 2011, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
So whats the amount? Let me see if I can manage that with my limited savings.
Mukib - let's hold off on this for now. It'll take some days for us to actually collect the money and send to you. But I bow to to you for your offer.

I would recommend that we put our heads together for a bigger BC initiative after the World Cup - that's when we will be needed most.
Old March 9, 2011, 01:30 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Quote:
Mukib - let's hold off on this for now. It'll take some days for us to actually collect the money and send to you. But I bow to to you for your offer.

I would recommend that we put our heads together for a bigger BC initiative after the World Cup - that's when we will be needed most.
As you say Boss.
Old March 9, 2011, 01:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

I heard you guys were discussing about finding Dhaka people.... Here I am along with Robiul bhai (Rabz), Sadi bhai (WarWolf), Sagar bhai (Off Stump).

So what's cooking?
Old March 9, 2011, 01:38 AM
Administrator

Let's see if Betaar is still up and awake. He was coordinating and has the details. If not, let us all be ready and put our heads together for the next big thing for our cricket.

Thanks guys!
Old March 9, 2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
What, my homemade somosas did not help when you visited me in DE? Do you remember? That was after my visit to you in Rochester.
That was an enjoyable evening. Until my wife met Raza and then you, she did not believe Bangladeshi men could cook well. She enjoyed the delicious dinner you served, but was probably really surprised at your hors d'œuvre (samosas).

Those (grad student) days were much simpler. Weren't they?
Old March 9, 2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I think we can help most in the following areas:
  1. Setting expectations. For example, every batsman in the team should strive for averages higher than 40. At least.
  2. Proper team building. We have only one dependable middle-order batsman (SAH) and no good lower-middle-order batsman. We need two more reliable middle-order batsman. They should stop trying to change apples into oranges (middle-order batsmen into pure hitters).
  3. Continued development of pace bowling. Every top team plays three pacers, even the ones with excellent spinners (read IND, PAK, and SL).
    i. We need to develop our pace bowlers to an extent that they can contain the batsmen and take wickets. We can afford one to be a bit more expensive (say, 5 rpo), if he is a wicket taker. But, not all of them. There have been improvements in this area since Ian Pont came, but a lot more has to happen.
    ii. Malinga could not bowl a yorker when he came into the SL team and taught himself by watching the two W's and practicing. Why not our bowlers? "Yorker on demand" can be a great weapon, both in tests in ODIs.
    iii. Our pacers need to practice a lot.
  4. Making on-field strategy a high-priority item. SAH has learned a lot, but he is still young. I think he can be a great captain, but only if he spends time and effort. Great captains like Ian Chappell, Mike Brearly, Donald Bradman, etc did not happen in one day.

A couple of other points:
  1. Fund-raising was a good idea. We should continue this and try to build a reserve ($1k?) so that we can deploy the funds quickly in the future.
  2. Should we invite SAH to BC? It will give him an idea about the support the team enjoys and some good ideas. But, it will also expose him to the occasional vitriol.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:

Exactly how much do we need to pay? I was hoping that someone in Dhaka will take the initiative. Since that has not happened, let me see whether I can find a way to do this. Since the deadline is tonight, please let me know soon.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Regarding 1-4 - not sure how much BC can help, unless the BC collective is appointed as head-coach.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:15 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Sorry to be responding here so late but I hardly had anytime to be in BC lately due to personal commitments. Its great to see we are starting to take proactive 'visible' measurements to make our presence felt and heard, but most importantly, getting behind the Tigers in this torrid times.

We might not have too many here in Dhaka, but we do have few sincere dedicated Tiger Fans who would do their best to materialize initiatives taken by members here.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 9, 2011, 09:23 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Sorry to be responding here so late but I hardly had anytime to be in BC lately due to personal commitments. Its great to see we are starting to take proactive 'visible' measurements to make our presence felt and heard, but most importantly, getting behind the Tigers in this torrid times.

We might not have too many here in Dhaka, but we do have few sincere dedicated Tiger Fans who would do their best to materialize initiatives taken by members here.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 9, 2011, 09:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Guys, the deadline Dhaka time Thursady 10 am and we need to pay tk 57,600+ vat. I think we can collect the money today and use Western Union. Let us know if someone willing to do this. Thanks much, I'm off to getting ready for work, will be online in an hour or so.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Bia korle shob circket shesh.

Seriously - thanks for the offer. Lets continue this conversation here. You can share your ideas here.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Regarding 1-4 - not sure how much BC can help, unless the BC collective is appointed as head-coach.
I wish!

Having said that, if we have the ears of some key people, we can try to hammer these points through. Points 1-4 are more about the state of mind than anything else. See Junaid told to get his head down.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Guys, the deadline Dhaka time Thursady 10 am and we need to pay tk 57,600+ vat. I think we can collect the money today and use Western Union. Let us know if someone willing to do this. Thanks much, I'm off to getting ready for work, will be online in an hour or so.
Betaar - I am good for my pledge. I am off to bed soon but if this thing moves, you know i am good for it and can PayPal you.

I was assuming someone fronts the money in Dhaka and we repay him in a couple of days. Regardless - I assume Betaar will receive our PayPal contributions or checks and will then manage the wiring to Dhaka - either Thursday Dhaka time for payment to PA or a day or so later for payment to whoever loaned us the money in Dhaka.

Betaar - some people pledged to have the money sent to you in checks. Some may be Canadian checks. So you won't have all the money collected for Thursday morning. Do keep that in mind.
Old March 9, 2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Bia korle shob circket shesh.
Hasn't happened to many of us, especially the "senior" folks. We have to put up with occasional nagging and threats of being banished to the couch (unless we managed to make our spouses into cricket fans). Hey, this, at least, is a worthwhile cause.