facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 21, 2011, 09:20 AM
First Class Cricketer

Default Tamim is advocating for Jamie. Please read it and post ur comments.

Please have a read of TIK's column in Daily Sun. Your opinion is highly appreciated.

21 March, 2011

Tamim Iqbal’s Column

Jamie should stay

The World Cup is over for us. As expected, we have won three matches. But things would have been beautiful had we not been all out at 58 and 78 against West Indies and South Africa respectively.

It’s natural that right after the World Cup I should write about the experience I had during the tournament, but I guess it will be better to write about what bad can be happening rather what has already happened.

Bangladesh head coach Jamie Siddons might not be seen with us after the upcoming Australia series in Dhaka, which I think should not be happening for the betterment of the team.

The main reason for which he should be staying is, he has been working with us for the last four years, resulting in the improvements the team had shown of late. You ask any general public or any one related to cricket and I am sure that they will be saying that there has been some improvement in the team.

Many batsmen in the team now have a better average and they have learnt to build bigger partnerships, there has been improvement in the way of playing test matches. The way he has prepared us in the last four years, I think it wouldn’t have been possible for any one else.

I feel that there are two types of coaches. First, there are coaches who plan well and second, there are coaches who teach well. For a team like Bangladesh, a teacher like Jamie is needed rather than a planner. I find him to be a good teacher. Whatever improvement I have shown recently is because of Jamie and Salauddin sir, who is now utilising his talent for some other country which is sad for our cricket.

I think a student needs to trust his teacher or else there will be no improvement. Today whatever improvement you see in me is because I trusted my teacher. Whatever improvement you will find in Mushfiqur (Rahim), Roquibul (Hassan), Imrul (Kayes) is because they had trusted their teacher. Jamie is the reason for Shakib’s being the number one ODI all-rounder.

I can challenge that there will not be a single person who can show that the performance graph of any of the player in the current team has fallen in the last four years. Everyone was tensed with the pacers but amazingly if you ask Shafiul (Islam) you will get to know that Jamie was the one who taught him how to bowl out-swingers.

Though these matters are only to be considered by Bangladesh Cricket Board, still what I feel is that Jamie’s contract should be renewed. Or else, the team will face a problem to build up the bridge with the new coach. The coach will need to understand us, need to know what we are and how we each play which I think will be taking at least two years to happen. Jamie has already overcome that period and now he understands every single move of ours which is a very good thing for the team and now is the time to implement his plans.

There is a saying that Jamie has always overlooked the senior players which I think is a totally wrong conception. People say that he has a problem with Mashrafe (Bin Mortaza) which is not right. I have been in the team since Mashrafe was like any other member of the team and has always seen both of them having a very close and good relation even when Mashrafe was handed over the charge of leading the team. Jamie has always been supporting him and he still does.

If we omit two results for the six matches that we played in the World Cup, then I think the result could have been wonderful and none could have possibly said that we performed badly in the tournament.

Getting a new coach will slow down the momentum as the new one will have to start from zero.

What I have written today is what I feel about the team but this doesn’t mean that I am going against BCB as I will never do so. Not only as a vice captain but also as a member of the team, I know what 99% of the players want - they want Jamie to stay. It doesn’t really matter how good a teacher is, as a student will never improve if he or she doesn’t have a good bonding and understanding with the teacher.

© 2010 The Daily Sun

http://www.daily-sun.com/mob/index.p...e_id=1&index=1

Old March 21, 2011, 09:26 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

Should a player be saying ANY of this in public about a head coach prior to negotiations of his contract? Specially the vice captain who was given the power of that job by the head coach?

Apart from that, isn't it the batting that has been so awful? If things are so rosy then why such a performance? This is JS department and he has had 4 years in it. Even Ireland scored more than 300 twice, as did Netherlands and neither IRE or NL were bowled out for under 100, let alone twice.

Our batting performed worse than associates (and the worst in group B) and if TIK is suggesting that is acceptable then that is staggering. I suspect he is more concerned by someone with more professionalism coming in and tidying up the slack that seems to have descended on the players. Perhaps a new coach would not allow the players t get away with so much ill-discipline.

This sounds like a personal plea and not a sound cricketing one. The team wouldn't start from zero either under a new coach. If it has done so well as TIK suggests then it will only go forwards.

Last edited by LBW103; March 21, 2011 at 09:47 AM..
Old March 21, 2011, 09:31 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

He has a good point. No need for knee jerk reaction. Firing coaches is not the solution. We need to find out why he was able to help guys like Tamim, Imrul, and Shakib, and not others. I say we renew his contract for another 2 years, and evaluate the team performance. If we don't see much improvement then we need somebody else to take us further.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

i don't know what to say.well,there may be better coaches out there who can be a good teacher and also a good tactician
Old March 21, 2011, 09:36 AM
Cricket Guru

hmm Tamim mia jokon bolche...I understand few players have good impact on batting last year but WC they flopped...batters are responsbile also but at this level how much we can afford to teach, learn and execute during international matches...in academy development matches that can happen you learn from mistakes...but in international matches..you do not have that option....our players need to be more responsible and show their support of the teachers with their results also...if the students want the teacher they should deliver in actions not in words
Old March 21, 2011, 09:37 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBW103
Should a player be saying ANY of this in public about a head coach prior to negotiations of his contract? Specially the vice captain who was given that power by the head coach?
I was wondering about the same thing! I guess they can't say anything FOR or AGAINST in public just like that...
Old March 21, 2011, 09:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Board has already renewed his contract twice in the past. Siddons has been working here for 4 years. I think, its high time to have some changes in team management specially with game strategy, players selection and new skill improvement.

We should thank Siddons for his contribution and his effort. But life has to go on. Best wishes to him
Old March 21, 2011, 09:40 AM
Street Cricketer

Tamim is talking too much after becoming VC!

We all know he is a very good player; but he needs more time to be one of the top world class batsmen. Therefore, he should concentrate to improve his batting; rather than advocating for a Coach in public media.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:42 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

I would like to know what the fringe players think of him rather than the likes of Tamim and Shakib who gets the coach's undivided attention
Old March 21, 2011, 09:44 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

I stand corrected

Last edited by Bronco; March 21, 2011 at 09:50 AM..
Old March 21, 2011, 09:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Tamim is right about what 99% of the players (of the current squad) want. They are in the team because of Jamie Siddons and if JS goes, they will be in trouble, because to get into the team again, they will have to perform.

JS must stay, at least until we lose our test status.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:46 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

I thnk Tamim just loves to be in the comfort zone and afraid to face the unknown. Just think about it this way. Lets say you are in good terms with your boss at your work and all of a sudden you get to know that your boss will be transferred to a new department. Chances are you'll also try to move to that department coz you love to work with him/her...Same goes for Tamim. He's been working with Siddons for the last 3 years and have developed a good relationship with Siddons. If BCB gets a new coach then he has to start from 0 again like get to know the new coach, develop trusts and all..and he might be afraid of that. Its normal. But this what life is. You cant always have things in your way all the time. You have to adopt to changes.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:47 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco
Shakib is the number one ODI all rounder ? What's he smokin ?

He is..What are you smoking?
Old March 21, 2011, 09:47 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Morgan and Big Z

I think we should look for a new aggressive opener who talks less with his mouth and more with the bat. BCB is very unprofessional for letting a player to speak out publicly like this, if it was any other board after such an event the player would have been fined or reprimanded.

"If we omit two results for the six matches that we played in the World Cup, then I think the result could have been wonderful and none could have possibly said that we performed badly in the tournament." - Dumb comment from an overrated player.

Tamim should talk less and work extra hours in the gym to lose his bhuri.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:49 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
He is..What are you smoking?
Well that was a genuine surprise I had no clue mate
Old March 21, 2011, 09:53 AM
Banned

Tamim's big mouth at it again. Just because one has opinions doesn't mean it needs to be published. What a media whore.
Old March 21, 2011, 10:04 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco
Well that was a genuine surprise I had no clue mate
he has been there for more than 2 years and 341 matches..where were u all this time!!
Old March 21, 2011, 10:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
I thnk Tamim just loves to be in the comfort zone and afraid to face the unknown. Just think about it this way. Lets say you are in good terms with your boss at your work and all of a sudden you get to know that your boss will be transferred to a new department. Chances are you'll also try to move to that department coz you love to work with him/her...Same goes for Tamim. He's been working with Siddons for the last 3 years and have developed a good relationship with Siddons. If BCB gets a new coach then he has to start from 0 again like get to know the new coach, develop trusts and all..and he might be afraid of that. Its normal. But this what life is. You cant always have things in your way all the time. You have to adopt to changes.
good analogy..Tamim as you grow and become responsible..life will be more challenging so you need to take that challenge and adopt to the change..welcome to the real world and reality...teen years of 2007 is gone when you charged down Zaheer for that six...time passed by and Zaheer matured and came back...you have also matured and came back in England but don't regress rather learn from the mistakes... 20s is here and you are assigned a big task our our team...so you need to be prepared for that responsiblity as a mature professional cricketer and start to understand the reality in a big picture...
Old March 21, 2011, 10:17 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

He should keep his mouth shut and start performing on the field. It is not his duty to advise anyone regarding head coach appointment. Where is the BCB code of conduct? I don't even see Sachin saying anything about the next coach of India. Ichre paka.
Old March 21, 2011, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraz
he should keep his mouth shut and start performing on the field. It is not his duty to advise anyone regarding head coach appointment. Where is the bcb code of conduct? I don't even see sachin saying anything about the next coach of india. Ichre paka.
+
Old March 21, 2011, 10:30 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:

I mean he clearly said that the players are comfortable with Jamie and are afraid of the communication gap and fear the lack of developement with the new coach. And, there is nothing wrong with that, if as a member of the current team believes letting Jamie go may be counterproductive.

As a Bengali, we really jump to conclusion too quickly without looking at the bigger picture. We want change without really wanting to see better results. And for what, for us to have disappointed again in few years and some more changes, and cycle continues.

New players, new coach, new management, new BCB none of them are the answer.

It will be more productive to stay with core players and expose them to more international cricket. I mean Bashar at age 33 (37 really) with his experience was able to perform a bit.

Now, expose the players to international level, if not to county level, just like IRELAND did for the last four years. Better/improve the domestic level, invite more quality international players to participate in the domestic league, so some of our guys can learn from them. And, with time let's see where it goes.

One thing i do agree, MUSHFIQ and ASHRAFUL need to be reassesed
Old March 21, 2011, 10:31 AM
ODI Cricketer

Jamie was given a two years contract last time around. His performance should naturally be evaluated before another renewal. But evolution period must be of those two years. You just cant evaluate a person based one tournament, no matter how important that tournament is. To do so is too high school don't you think !

If our cricket development has to be grounded upon sound logic, and plan, then one needs a tradition of performance evaluation over the whole period, not just one month or so. And that should be case even for the top brass of the board.

Nobody hardly drops a player just because he could not perform in one tournament. Based on his performance over last two years, if there is a clear improvement, then certainly his contract should be extended, otherwise not. To be able to compete with top cricketing nations, we must also be able to compete with them off field. And hardly any of those countries will act otherwise.
Old March 21, 2011, 10:32 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib , Tamim

Even Akram Khan would be better than Siddons!! Siddons must go.
Old March 21, 2011, 10:34 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mali007
Even Akram Khan would be better than Siddons!! Siddons must go.
That is pure nonsense mate !
Old March 21, 2011, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Only sissies fear transition. We can't have JS forever - transition will happen sooner or later and it's the professional's job to deal with it with minimal overhead.