facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 20, 2012, 07:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Default psychological states of a player

I personally believe that the new generation of cricketers have crossed the psychological barriers which was preventing our players from any success. Cricket is one of the hardest sports, tennis only comes close to it. The mental torture can destroy any player. A typical example would be Ashraful. Ashraful suffers from lack of visualisation. Visualisation- is a powerful technique, for example helps batmen to understand the value of a long inniing. Through visualisation a batsmen is able to map out how his going to approach a particular approach. For example, your team is 205/3 and you need 70 more runs in 20 overs, a batsmen would map out that he needs to take singles and twos to ensure a win. Although, the match aint over, the player would be more relaxed. Whereas if a player comes in that positiion and there's only 10 overs left. The chances are that the pressure will easily overwhelm him . I myself could only see tamim and nasir mapping out how they would go out to bat in the context of the game. However, its virtually impossible for a bangladeshi player to visualise. However, through BPL bangladeshi's have really succeeded to visualise through the whole innings.

Another suggestion is anxiety. As a sportmans or any other profession its natural to have anxiety. However, I doubt that bangladeshi players yet to convert this normal anxiety to a competitive challenging anxiety. Anxiety is also another hard aspect to master. The only options we have to tackle anxiety is to make sure that we our players are playing in competitive domestic leagues. The more they practice with stars, the easier it would be for them to be more challenging. Another way to tackle this is to move from the comfort zone. The only way I could see the players away from their comfort zone, is by creating pitches that have a lot of bounce. Moreover, have more 4 days matches in the domestic league. This way we can see which players can cope mentally.. And which players can't cope at all. The bouncy pitch would challenge the mental strength of both batsmen and bowlers becuase (1) batsmen are more used to facing heavily spin relied attack. Therefore they would need to change their strategy from point one (batsmen would think on how to approach a fast bowler- at the moment our players would get beaten blue and black by any quality fast bowler). (2) bowlers would understand beauty of the ball, pitch and weather.

Have a read guys. Its my first ever speech/article.. Make comments and do go easy on me. And do correct any mistakes. Since I do psychology A-Level, I tried to make a link between my course and cricket

Last edited by revolver; March 21, 2012 at 03:31 PM..

Old March 20, 2012, 07:19 PM
Cricket Savant

Like it revolver. Can you please format it a little bit in paragraphs?
Old March 20, 2012, 07:26 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

we always knew what we need to do.

we have always seen our players had the physical and technical abilty to do it.

but they lacked the mental side .... the confidence, the toughness, the nerve, the belief to do it and do it in pressure situations and in a 50-50 competitive situation.
Old March 20, 2012, 07:27 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Like it revolver. Can you please format it a little bit in paragraphs?
i too was planning to write something similar anyway i think revolver bhai will come up with something far far better
Old March 20, 2012, 07:31 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Actually There is only one player that has been infused in the team. Nasir Hossain. The rest was there previously.

From my observation, there are several factors.

1) Capitano. No question. True inspirer. Giving Shakib that sketch puts the best player at ease. Finishing matches.

2) Mashrafe. Keeping the team loose. Very important in the locker room, soaking up pressure with some great spells.

3) New found Tamim: Wow!!! 70 SR for Tamim on a 50, are you kidding me? Just what the team needed. A sane opener who can change gear at will.

4) Obviously the calm presence of Nasir in the middle. Shakib can trust others now.

The bold part is the key. Duplicating this performance in overseas would tell us truly Bangladesh has arrived. Till then I would take whatever success comes towards us.
Old March 20, 2012, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Good thinking but I have an issue with this statement:

Quote:
However, its virtually impossible for a bangladeshi player to visualise.
That's a very sweeping generalization, don't you think? I would like you to elaborate on why you think that a Bangladeshi player has this mental block towards visualization.

Perhaps the problem is NOT visualization? Perhaps it is the inability to break down a bigger tasks into smaller manageable components and only focus on the immediate one without visualizing the big picture. Say you have to score 50 runs in 10 overs, and that's 5 in 1. Just focus on that one over or even on that first ball - just a run will do.
Old March 20, 2012, 09:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

I agree with a lot of it but highly disagree about cricket and tennis being the two hardest sports. I am a huge fan of these two sport, but you lack understanding of every other sport if you think they are any easier than cricket or tennis mentally or physically.
Old March 20, 2012, 09:16 PM
ODI Cricketer

physically hardest sports cricket isnt even near the top 10.
Old March 20, 2012, 09:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Very nice read Revolver....a psychologist in the making I presume?
Old March 21, 2012, 07:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid

Perhaps the problem is NOT visualization? Perhaps it is the inability to break down a bigger tasks into smaller manageable components and only focus on the immediate one without visualizing the big picture. Say you have to score 50 runs in 10 overs, and that's 5 in 1. Just focus on that one over or even on that first ball - just a run will do.
Divide and Conquer, as my Discrete lecturer would say.
Old March 21, 2012, 07:16 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIKBoss
physically hardest sports cricket isnt even near the top 10.
true that, but cricket is a combination of mind and body

My coach says that cricket first needs to come through the brain, later everything else
Old March 21, 2012, 09:02 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
I agree with a lot of it but highly disagree about cricket and tennis being the two hardest sports. I am a huge fan of these two sport, but you lack understanding of every other sport if you think they are any easier than cricket or tennis mentally or physically.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...mp=fbc_updates - Is cricket the black dog of the sporting kennel?

I posted this link elsewhere on BC, but I think this is one of the most illuminating articles on this topic (and written by a current Test batsman!)
Old March 21, 2012, 10:37 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Good thoughts revolver.

May I add something ?

I have noticed one change, its a subtle one, but easy to spot if you look hard. We have collectively ditched the arm/wrist guard when batting. Not too long ago, we looked like Gladiators- all padded up, from arm-wrist guard to chest padding and what not. I don't see that anymore. This game is as much a technical one as it is a psychological warfare. By ditching the extra 'optional' safety guards, we maybe sending a message to the opposition that we are not afraid. Granted its easier to do in our flat pitches, but I bet the mere sight of Malinga was good enough to do otherwise, and we have done so in the past. Maybe, its nothing in the end, but I noticed it.
Old March 21, 2012, 01:44 PM
Cricket Legend

Thanks guys.. I will provide a much more detailed analysis this week. some big generalization but hopefully next article I would be concise

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old March 21, 2012, 01:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Good thinking but I have an issue with this statement:

That's a very sweeping generalization, don't you think? I would like you to elaborate on why you think that a Bangladeshi player has this mental block towards visualization.

I disagree. If the players don't see the bigger pcture they would end up playing a selfish knock

Old March 21, 2012, 03:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
Very nice read Revolver....a psychologist in the making I presume?
Inshallah brother or a computer software engineer

Old March 21, 2012, 03:38 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolver
I disagree. If the players don't see the bigger pcture they would end up playing a selfish knock

Also smaller goals may not be that much of a morale booster as much as big ones. Just my opinion.
Old March 21, 2012, 03:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
Mentally NO other sport come near as challenging as criicket and tennis. well possibly physically cricket and tennis come no way near it

Old March 21, 2012, 06:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolver
Mentally NO other sport come near as challenging as criicket and tennis. well possibly physically cricket and tennis come no way near it

Says who? You? Are you an expert? Do you have any experience playing football, soccer, hockey, basketball, baseball and rugby?

To say cricket is more mentally challenging than any other sport is disrespectful and ignorant to other sports. I am not saying cricket is easy, I am saying other sports are just as demanding as cricket, mentally.

Now please tell me how cricket is more challenging so that there is some substance behind what you are saying.