facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 20, 2012, 12:20 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default MoM should have been Nazmul...

...maybe he really is adopted.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old March 20, 2012, 12:23 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

I agree
Old March 20, 2012, 12:26 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

I concur fully. I'm a huge fan of Shakib but his bowling was poor today (barring a couple of overs) and his batting was largely streaky. It seems he got a MOM for the three fours he hit against Lakmal and the two wickets against lower-middle order batsmen!

In contrast, Nazmul got the big 3 of SL's lineup!! God Knows what their score would have been in any of them stuck around.
Old March 20, 2012, 12:27 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, Sakib, Tamim, Nasir

May be both. Sakib deserve it as well.
Old March 20, 2012, 12:30 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

well, had Nazmul got a wicket or more having bowled his full quota, he could have gotten MOM

BTW, sakib deserves it because of those 2 crucial wickets, 50+ runs and that great catch
Old March 20, 2012, 12:33 PM
ODI Cricketer

Shakib deserved it but so did Nazmul, but it's a fair decision. Shakib was decent with the ball and in the field and his 50 was a match changing innings. Nazmul also got an award and money
Old March 20, 2012, 12:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Pity Nazmul wasnt allowed to finish his quota. Would have picked up another wicket at least. And Mushfiq decided to bowl Shahadat. Crazy
Old March 20, 2012, 12:59 PM
Cricket Guru

I'm happy he got that cash award instead of Tamim, I knew he wouldn't get MoM over Shakib, that would be borderline heresy in some people's eyes.
Old March 20, 2012, 01:07 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Nazmul should have got the MOM. He bowled in the PP under pressure. He was coming back into the side (not a regular) and he took out the top 3 batsmen to set up a low total for the BD batsmen to go and have an easy net basically.

Shakib already has cars, land, MOM awards coming out of his ears, and the kudos befitting a revered "God" in Bangladesh fans eyes. Perhaps just sometimes, those selecting the "player of this...." and the "man of the match..." can look past the big names that are popular with crowds. In any event, Shakib's 50 was cancelled out by the 50 plus he gave away at almost 6 an over.

The difference between the two sides (which is what MOM should mean) was Nazmul's wickets at the start.
Old March 20, 2012, 01:10 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

^^ I agree Coach (as I said above). I also think that Mushy should have trusted him to finish his quota at the death. I really hope they didn't think his 3 wickets were some sort of fluke!!
Old March 20, 2012, 01:10 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

It was 50 - 50 IMO. Had Nazmul got another wicket it was his for the taking.
Old March 20, 2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
It was 50 - 50 IMO. Had Nazmul got another wicket it was his for the taking.
If SAH is involved it's 90/10...
Old March 20, 2012, 01:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Shakib scored a half century, took 2 wickets and one imp catch .. how can they look past Shakib.. Yeah today his bowling wasn't up to the mark but we should give him some credit for contributing with both bat and ball consistently.. had he gone out today we wouldn't have win this match.. Tamim and Shakib took the responsibility of narrowing the difference between the runs and balls.. that's why they were so agressive as they know if they don't take the charge who can handle any bowler no one is left down the order to score the runs singlehandedly ..

I think the decision is fair as half century, 2 wickets and one imp catch carries more value than a 3 wicket haul.. Had Nazmul got a 4 wicket haul the would have been different and he might have very well got that if Mushy let him finish his full quota....
Old March 20, 2012, 01:22 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
If SAH is involved it's 90/10...
Coach I think you deserve a bit of credit for working with Nazmul... back when he started playing in BD team, he was quite clueless, but now he is a genuine threat with the ball... so kudos to u.
Old March 20, 2012, 01:23 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

As someone already mentioned if Naz picked up a 5for, which he would've if he was allowed to finish his overs, they would've selected him. But he did get some other award and a 5k.
Old March 20, 2012, 01:31 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayef
Coach I think you deserve a bit of credit for working with Nazmul... back when he started playing in BD team, he was quite clueless, but now he is a genuine threat with the ball... so kudos to u.
I have no problem you crediting the coach, but lets not call him clueless based on air. Do look at his stats, and do look at the highlights from the past. He was always our 2nd best after Mash. But he was overlooked than, and he is overlooked now.

I can guarantee as soon as one of the econ boys Rubel/Shaf come back, he will be benched.

But why was he benched in the BPL? I guess it's a personality thing?
Old March 20, 2012, 01:40 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Performing Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
Nazmul should have got the MOM. He bowled in the PP under pressure. He was coming back into the side (not a regular) and he took out the top 3 batsmen to set up a low total for the BD batsmen to go and have an easy net basically.

Shakib already has cars, land, MOM awards coming out of his ears, and the kudos befitting a revered "God" in Bangladesh fans eyes. Perhaps just sometimes, those selecting the "player of this...." and the "man of the match..." can look past the big names that are popular with crowds. In any event, Shakib's 50 was cancelled out by the 50 plus he gave away at almost 6 an over.

The difference between the two sides (which is what MOM should mean) was Nazmul's wickets at the start.
Thanks Coach Ian for your post.

---------------

To me Nazmul or Shakib it doesn't matter ...'cause the most important thing is that the BD side got it by winning the game.

----------

Dear Coach Ian,

I didn't like the way you used the word "God" in the above context (though I understand what you mean by it.) We are Bangladeshis. We ONLY use the word God for one and only "God Almighty." Yes, we are crazy about our cricketers. We adore them, we love them but we'll never think of them (or anyone) as "God of cricket" or anything like that.

Thanks for your understanding to the matter. I appreciate your support and encouragement for our teams.

----------

Yay, now we wanna win the ASIA CUP inshAllah. Pakistan here we come!
Old March 20, 2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
I have no problem you crediting the coach, but lets not call him clueless based on air. Do look at his stats, and do look at the highlights from the past. He was always our 2nd best after Mash. But he was overlooked than, and he is overlooked now.

I can guarantee as soon as one of the econ boys Rubel/Shaf come back, he will be benched.

But why was he benched in the BPL? I guess it's a personality thing?
Nazmul knew he would have limited chances in the BPL with the Dhaka bowling attack..let me remind you:

Elias Sunny (leading WKT taker)
Azhar Mahmood (MVP overseas)
Rana Naved
Mashrafe
MH Rubel
Pollard

These were the regulars selected (four pacers, two spinners) and of course five overseas players playing each match, so only one of six places left for Nazmul.

Those six places went to: Ash, Mash, Anamul, Sunny, MH Rubel, Nazimuddin... or either Aftab or Merhab as batters.

He did play twice for us and did OK. But with 4 quicks already in the 11 starting line up, the question is do you need to play another quick or play a batter?

I hope that helps you and shows how deeply we thought about every match. In addition, I am Nazmul's biggest fan and have spent so much time working with him. If I couldn't get him into the DG team, no one could.
Old March 20, 2012, 01:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Agree to disagree - I think Shak deserved it for playing that knock under pressure. He played quite well and aggressively to make things better for Mahmud and Nasir, RR wise at least.

And bowled alright in the powerplay overs, and there's the brilliant low catch he took to dismiss Crappu. All in all, deserves it well.

Nazmul got an award as well didn't he? So I guess it's fair and square.
Old March 20, 2012, 01:56 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

I dont think 3 wickets >>> 2 wickets + 56 runs + 1 excellent catch

But had nazmul taken another wicket or 2, id give him the prize
Old March 20, 2012, 01:58 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any smart *** spot fixers

In my opinion MoM sould be Tamim/Nazmul; TI really played his natural game today. Counterattack mindset with blistering bounderies kept flowing didn't let Lankan bowlers to take control of the mtch after early 3 wickets fall. Where as SL beasically lost the match when they lost the toss and loosing their 3 pillers early by Nazmul with his 6 over first spell.
Old March 20, 2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkh2O
Thanks Coach Ian for your post.

---------------

To me Nazmul or Shakib it doesn't matter ...'cause the most important thing is that the BD side got it by winning the game.

----------

Dear Coach Ian,

I didn't like the way you used the word "God" in the above context (though I understand what you mean by it.) We are Bangladeshis. We ONLY use the word God for one and only "God Almighty." Yes, we are crazy about our cricketers. We adore them, we love them but we'll never think of them (or anyone) as "God of cricket" or anything like that.

Thanks for your understanding to the matter. I appreciate your support and encouragement for our teams.

----------

Yay, now we wanna win the ASIA CUP inshAllah. Pakistan here we come!
Understood.. but I meant it in cricket terms and not any other. Sachin is the same for India and I heard them using exactly this phrase on Indian TV over Shoaib Akthar's book that criticised Sachin. Sunil Gavaskar actually used that phrase and many refer to him as the "God of Cricket" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPpKf...F540E111312E99

so in cricket terms it is clearly a massive sign of respect.

Please take it that way and no other way.
Old March 20, 2012, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

The sad part: he'll be benched when Shafiul comes back. SHAFIUL for God's sake!
Old March 20, 2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricheart
In my opinion MoM sould be Tamim/Nazmul; TI really played his natural game today. Counterattack mindset with blistering bounderies kept flowing didn't let Lankan bowlers to take control of the mtch after early 3 wickets fall. Where as SL beasically lost the match when they lost the toss and loosing their 3 pillers early by Nazmul with his 6 over first spell.
Yep agreed. The SL batters simply could not post any meaningful total after Nazmul's wickets as the heart was ripped out of their batting.

Shakib played his usual composed game but I don't feel he was under any real pressure, The RR was only 4.4 from the start and rarely got close to 6 an over.

In any event, it doesn't matter. My point was that it would good to recognise the context of the performances sometimes, rather than just "so and so got 50 and took a catch". Someone who doesn't follow cricket can open the scorebook and pick the MOM that way...
Old March 20, 2012, 02:09 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

It was a close call indeed. I think Shak changed the game with his quick boundaries that brought the RR down. But once again, Naz provided the breakthrough and got Dilshan/Sanga/Mahela, the dangerous trio.

Btw, Coach Ian had always applauded Naz and emphasized his potential. It's very good to see Naz proving everything right. I want him to play in some leagues overseas to gain more experience. County might be tough to break in but if players like Maharoof can play, why not our Naz. Even not county, then he can play other leagues like Rasel did.