facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

Old June 8, 2004, 09:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Default I have to go with either France or Portugal to win the cup.

France have gat all the firepower behind them to retain their cup; beside, they are definitely looking forward to erase the memory from the last world cup. They are lead by mighty zidane and off course the king Henry. This guy is unstoppable: throughout the last season he scored 33 times in the E.P.L only and many more in the F.A. cup and the Champion League as well. I am expecting this guy to decimate everything in his path and score tons of goals in this competition. I ain’t joking this guy is damn good! Watch and see! Long live henry!!!!!!

By the way, Portugal has a very good chance of winning this competition as well. It’s their home ground, and off course they have gat major boast from Porto amazing run in the Champion League.

[Edited on 9-6-2004 by rassel : miss spelling]

Old June 12, 2004, 06:07 AM
ODI Cricketer

Vote For france.Because Of their Attaking,Striking and Also diffending ability.But dont forget about Partugal, Because they are now Host.I also expect England and Italy because they are my most favorite.

Let seee what will happend.

Old June 12, 2004, 09:22 AM
Test Cricketer

[Edited on 12-6-2004 by mzia : Failed to insert a Image]
Old June 12, 2004, 01:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Greece shock hosts: Portugal 1-2 Greece

Hosts Portugal made a nightmare start to their Euro 2004 campaign, suffering a shock defeat to unfancied Greece.
Porto's Estadio do Dragao was packed with thousands of expectant Portuguese fans for the opening game, but their team appeared hamstrung by nerves.

Georgios Karagounis pounced on a mistake by Paulo Ferreira to open the scoring after only six minutes.

Angelos Basinas' penalty made it 2-0 just after half-time, before Cristiano Ronaldo's injury-time consolation.

Having qualified for the tournament as hosts, Portugal were playing their first competitive match since losing to South Korea in the World Cup group stages two years ago.

That, as well as the pressure of a nation's hopes, clearly showed as Portugal struggled initially.

Greece carved out the first clearcut chance after just a minute, Angelos Haristeas failing to reach a Zisis Vryzas cross from eight yards.

And only six minutes later, the home fans were stunned when Greece opened the scoring.

Chelsea transfer target Ferreira gave the ball away to Karagounis who was allowed a free run on goal before he despatched a sweet strike into the bottom left-hand corner.

KEY MOMENTS
7 mins: Karagounis fires Greece into a shock lead
26 mins: Rui Costa misses a free header for Portugal
51 mins: Greece double their lead through Basinas' penalty
93 mins: Ronaldo fires home a late consolation
With Vyrsas causing panic in the Portugal's defence, and the hosts' keeper Ricardo looking decidedly jittery, Greece might have extended their lead.

Haristeas sliced his shot after being put through by another defensive mistake by Portugal, and Panagiotis Fyssas saw his volley fly well over the bar.

After quarter of an hour, Portugal finally began to find their feet.

And on 26 minutes, Rui Costa should have been celebrating the equaliser but after Ferreira found him unmarked in the box, the AC Milan midfielder could only direct his header tamely wide.

Portugal continued to have more of the ball but were let down by a lack of urgency in the final third of the pitch.

But just after half an hour, Greek keeper Antonios Nikopolidis bravely dived at Sabrosa Simao's feet as the midfielder looked to apply the finishing touch after turning his marker.

Portugal boss Luis Felipe Scolari responded to a lacklustre first half by replacing Simao and the ineffectual Rui Costa with Deco and Ronaldo.

But matters only got worse for the hosts.

Ronaldo made a clumsy challenge on Seitaridis and Basinas confidently stroked the resulting penalty into the top right-hand corner.

Even two goals behind, Portugal's lone striker Pauleta remained isolated up front and Greece's defence had a relatively easy task.

With 12 minutes remaining, Deco might have put Greece under pressure but after shaking off his marker, he sent a powerful strike high and wide.

Ronaldo converted a Figo cross in injury-time but it was too late to save his side and Portugal left the pitch with their championship hopes in the balance after only one game.

BBC Sports:

[Edited on 12-6-2004 by rassel]
Old June 12, 2004, 03:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

I am not surprised, not even think that it was a shocking result. In fact these footies like Portugal and Spain are only good for their domestic leagues. You can never expect them coming up as a finalist in world cup/eauropean cups.
Old June 12, 2004, 10:17 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Spain 1 Russia 0

Valerón sparks Spanish win

by Matthew Spiro from the Estádio Algarve

An inspired substitution from coach Iñaki Sáez helped Spain get their UEFA EURO 2004™ campaign off to a perfect start in Faro-Loulé as Juan Carlos Valerón came off the bench to score with virtually his first touch and seal three important points in Group A.

Valerón for victory
With Greece having unexpectedly defeated hosts Portugal earlier in the day, both sides knew that a victory would make qualification for the quarter-finals a distinct possibility. However, in the event Valerón's cool finish on the hour proved enough, while Russia ended with ten men as Roman Sharonov was dismissed for a second yellow card having brought down substitute Fernando Torres.

Fitness boost
Spain lined up as expected after David Albelda shook off a muscle strain to link up with Valencia CF team-mate Rubén Baraja in midfield, while Joseba Etxeberria, Raúl González and Vicente Rodríguez formed an attacking trio behind Fernando Morientes. Russia adopted a more cautious approach, with coach Georgi Yartsev opting for Dmitri Bulykin as a lone striker, allowing winger Rolan Gusev to come into a five-man midfield.

Spanish surge
Spain started at a ferocious pace and had Russia's reorganised defence under pressure as early as the third minute. Baraja's pinpoint pass found Raúl in space in the penalty area but the Spanish striker shot wide of the far post. The Russians were soon stretched again as Raúl threaded a pass through for Morientes but his left-foot shot was blocked by Sharonov.

Izmailov influential
Spain continued to dominate territorially but Russia slowly gained in confidence and mounted their first serious attack on 16 minutes. Marat Izmailov's right-wing cross drifted over Carles Puyol to the ummarked Bulykin, but his tame volley was blocked. Izmailov was Russia's brightest player in the opening stages and he threatened again minutes later, flashing a long-range shot wide of Iker Casillas' far post.

Vicente verve
Vicente's influence on the left wing grew as the half went on and his darting burst and precise cross set up a glorious chance for Morientes on 36 minutes. The striker's header was brilliantly saved by Sergei Ovchinnikov and although the rebound fell to Etxeberria, he miscued from close range.

Casillas called upon
The chance brought the game to life and Dmitri Alenichev almost opened the scoring at the other end seconds later, jinking between Carlos Marchena and Puyol but Casillas was equal to his chip. Russia finished the half on top and Casillas had to be alert once more as Alenichev cut into the box after a quickly-taken corner and forced the goalkeeper to parry at the near post.

Raúl chance
Yartsev introduced playmaker Vladislav Radimov for Gusev at the break, but the second half started in similar vein to the first with a tide of Spain pressure. Etxeberria twice escaped his marker on the right wing, first cutting back for Baraja whose shot was blocked, then delivering a teasing cross that was headed wide of the far post by an unmarked Raúl.

Instant impact
Spain made their first changes just before the hour mark, with Valerón and Xabi Alonso replacing Morientes and Baraja - and the switch paid immediate dividends as Valerón scored within 36 seconds. Puyol burst past Dmitri Sennikov on the right and delivered a low cross that Valerón coolly worked onto his left foot to score from close range.

Spain on top
Russia reacted by sending on Dmitri Sychev as a second striker but the goal lifted the Spanish and they began playing with more fluency. Raúl might have doubled the lead, shrugging off two defenders before shooting just over from 20 metres while Vicente had two late chances, but Spain had already done enough.
Source: EURO2004
Old June 12, 2004, 10:59 PM
Street Cricketer

g'day rassel...

i am glad i find someone who is as keen about 'football' as i am!... cheers...

from your original post... you wrote...

"Here is my prediction for the final four: France, Germany, England, and Portugal"

did you know that this CANNOT happen as france and england are from group b and portugal is are group a... and will have to play a group b team in the quarter finals should they make it though (doubtful now that they've lost to greece)...

i look forward to groups c and d... both groups look to have the '3 doesn't go into 2' problem...

happy watching...

amy benson
Old June 13, 2004, 12:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by rsanumber1
g'day rassel...

i am glad i find someone who is as keen about 'football' as i am!... cheers...

from your original post... you wrote...

"Here is my prediction for the final four: France, Germany, England, and Portugal"

did you know that this CANNOT happen as france and england are from group b and portugal is are group a... and will have to play a group b team in the quarter finals should they make it though (doubtful now that they've lost to greece)...

i look forward to groups c and d... both groups look to have the '3 doesn't go into 2' problem...

happy watching...

amy benson
I predicated this as a whole and didn’t expect England and France in the same group. As you can see, I started this thread quite a while ago. I really didn’t pay attention to who is in what group; in fact, I couldn’t even remember when the draws were held for the group stages of this competition. Anyhow, it will take hell of an effort from Portugal to overcome their poor start. Both Spain and Russia are quite capable of beating them as well. Nevertheless, anything is possible in football.

By the way, great to have you in this site of the forum; as you can see
not that many people interested in other sports. talk to you again later.
Old June 13, 2004, 12:53 AM
Street Cricketer

the draw for the finals was made late last year... you have no excuse! *cheeky grin*

italy have the 'best' draw... having no other 'big' team in their group... and not having to face the two fancied teams (portugal and france) in the quarters...

of the big teams... spain and england have poor draws... they have possible quarter final match-ups with france and portugal... thats IF they manage to make it through the group stage... if spain end up finishing first and portugal second in their group... i wonder how keen france are of finishing top and having to face the hosts in a 'revenge' match from the last euro...

as i see it... france might be the best team going around... but it is italy who have the slightly better chance with the draw the way it is...

to finish with couple of tips...

switzerland v croatia... expect goals... with france and england in their group... surely it'd be difficult for either side to qualify if they don't get three points here... attack attack attack...

england v france... this might be a cagey affair... a draw may suit both sides... 0-0 isn't out of the question... although... with the likes of henry, owen and trezeguet playing... 0-0 is indeed a brave call on my part...

happy watching!
Old June 13, 2004, 10:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Let’s wait and see. I don’t see game between England and France ending up in draw either. Like you said, when the big name like of Owen, trezeguet, and the king is around and not to mention all those offensive midfielders in both team. They are quite capable of scoring goals as well. Nevertheless, I can’t wait to see how Rooney cope with France’s formidable defensive lineup if he gets to start.
Old June 13, 2004, 12:56 PM
Street Cricketer

a certain rsanumber1 said...

"switzerland v croatia... expect goals... with france and england in their group... surely it'd be difficult for either side to qualify if they don't get three points here... attack attack attack..."

9 yellows and a red card later... it finished 0-0... so much for expecting goals... however... they DID attack... there were actually more shots on target (11) than the first two matches (9 and 7)...

well done switzerland for holding on... croatia would have to be fairly disappointed with the final result...

france v england coming up... bring it ON!
Old June 13, 2004, 01:35 PM
Cricket Legend

It’s very welcoming news for both England and France. From this point on both of these countries have a fairly good chance of qualifying for the quarter final, no matter what the outcome between their match.

Bravo to Switzerland for their fighting performance!
Old June 13, 2004, 01:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Ten-man Swiss hold Croatia to goalless draw

Sun 13 Jun, 7:04 PM

LEIRIA, Portugal (Reuters) - Ten-man Switzerland have battled to a goalless draw with a disappointing Croatia side in an ugly opening Euro 2004 Group B clash.

The result was frustrating for both sides as they had set out to claim victory knowing their next games are against the group favourites France and England.

Advertisement
Switzerland were reduced to 10 men when defensive midfielder Johann Vogel was sent off four minutes into the second half on Sunday for a second bookable offence.

Vogel had been shown his first yellow card after only four minutes for a foul on Niko Kovac and was dismissed when for another infringement in a melee of players just after the break.

The PSV Eindhoven man's yellow card was the sixth in a game that became increasingly disrupted by stoppages, several of them for simulation.

There was very little flowing football from either side with the Croatians seemingly intent on breaking up the rhythm of the game and trying to snatch a goal on the counter-attack.

This produced several ugly individual clashes and plenty of theatrical gestures as the card count rose steadily.

Swiss keeper Joerg Stiel was cautioned for dissent and Benjamin Huggel for a foul while Dado Prso, for diving, joined Nenad Bjelica, substitute Milan Rapaic and captain Boris Zivkovic who were booked for fouls and Ivica Mornar for diving.

view photo
Switzerland looked lively in attack and striker Alexander Frei warmed the hands of stand-in keeper Tomislav Butina with a crisp low shot, Tomislav Sokota replying in kind for Croatia.

Croatia quickened the pace at times, Kovac heading over the bar from a corner and then Ivica Olic clipping the bar from close range after Stiel had beaten out a Josip Simunic effort.

Prso had a half chance with a shot on the turn saved by Stiel and the keeper almost misjudged a bounce from a clearance, but in humid conditions, chances were few and far between.
Old June 13, 2004, 01:45 PM
Cricket Legend

ha! Rooney start!
Old June 13, 2004, 01:45 PM
Street Cricketer

oh... by the way...

where are you from and which team(s) do you support?

i am from australia and i support england... very very weird!
Old June 13, 2004, 01:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
oh... by the way...

where are you from and which team(s) do you support?

i am from australia and i support england... very very weird!
check my location all the way from Palm Beach, Florida!
i support both! but big fan of the king!
Old June 13, 2004, 01:50 PM
Street Cricketer

the 'king'? elvis?

florida... do you support the marlins?
Old June 13, 2004, 01:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
the 'king'? elvis?

florida... do you support the marlins?
marlins who?! (i keed) not a big fan of baseball.

you know the king! henry the great!
Old June 13, 2004, 01:58 PM
Street Cricketer

i am nowhere near as big a fan of 'the king'... i've supported manchester united ever since i was a kid!

how about cricket? which team(s) do you support?
Old June 13, 2004, 02:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Of course, Bangladesh! If you check my profile. You would see that I am from Dhaka, Bangladesh. So you can see why I support my country. Oh, by the way, I have been living in the U.S. for a quite a while!

One more thing, who do you support?
Old June 13, 2004, 02:13 PM
Street Cricketer

i support all teams... i follow all teams... but i am more keen on rsa and aus than the others...

england playing a very positive game so far... but france already showing their class
Old June 13, 2004, 02:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
i support all teams... i follow all teams... but i am more keen on rsa and aus than the others...

england playing a very positive game so far... but france already showing their class
of cousrse i could see that you from australia! by the way big fan of harry K. as well
Old June 13, 2004, 02:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Gat to go! We will talk again!
Damn! I am going to miss rest of the game!
Old June 13, 2004, 02:24 PM
Cricket Legend

frank gat it on time
Old June 13, 2004, 02:26 PM
Cricket Legend

This game is getting interesting! Nevertheless, long way to go for England!

See y!