facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Closed Thread

Old September 16, 2017, 06:24 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mash, Mushy
Default If it had been possible should Bangladesh join India?

After a lot of bloodshed to achieve our Independence, till this day we constantly have an identity crisis on whether we are Bengali, Bangladeshi or just simply Muslims.

Bear in mind, joining India would allow us to become a part of a much larger and faster growing economy. One possible way is us merging with West Bengal to once again reunite the two Bengals and settle as a state in India. That way our students will have an opportunity to study at IITs and other prestigious institutions that are gradually rising in global academic rankings. We will have much easier access to a far superior health care system and hospitals. Not to mention greater freedom of movement, and employment opportunities.

Would you be willing to give up our sovereignty and national identities for what could possibly be, a better life?

Old September 16, 2017, 06:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

You are the only one suffering from identity crisis .
Old September 16, 2017, 06:39 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mash, Mushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Not really, just look at the Pohela Boishak debate and how that's divided up the nation. Many religious extremists went as far as to say we shouldn't be celebrating Bengali New Year at all, a view that is becoming increasingly popular sadly.
Old September 16, 2017, 07:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon4567
Not really, just look at the Pohela Boishak debate and how that's divided up the nation. Many religious extremists went as far as to say we shouldn't be celebrating Bengali New Year at all, a view that is becoming increasingly popular sadly.
In that case we should join Pakistan ..not India

views of the extremist matter more than vision of freedom fighters I guess ...
Old September 16, 2017, 08:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Ashraful

I thought this was a troll thread.
Old September 16, 2017, 11:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

And the worst thread of the year award goes to.....

This country is one of the most homogeneous group of people in the world. No need to get confused by the arguments from internet/ social media political trolls. We are Bangladeshi and Bengali (apart from a very low percentage of other ethnicity) , but the Bangladeshi identity comes first. Most of us follow Islam, some follow other religions.
Old September 17, 2017, 06:23 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Couldn't have said it better
Old September 17, 2017, 09:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Would you be willing to give up our sovereignty and national identities for what could possibly be, a better life?
Thanks but no thanks
Old September 17, 2017, 10:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
After a lot of bloodshed to achieve our Independence, till this day we constantly have an identity crisis on whether we are Bengali, Bangladeshi or just simply Muslims.

Bear in mind, joining India would allow us to become a part of a much larger and faster growing economy. One possible way is us merging with West Bengal to once again reunite the two Bengals and settle as a state in India. That way our students will have an opportunity to study at IITs and other prestigious institutions that are gradually rising in global academic rankings. We will have much easier access to a far superior health care system and hospitals. Not to mention greater freedom of movement, and employment opportunities.

I won't criticize you like the others, instead let's breakdown the points you made:

1) BD identity: Our identity should be Bengali, it is what the country was founded upon. You are right that extremism is on the rise, which threathens to overshadow bengali identity for a muslim identity. But extremsim is on the rise in India too. We would just be trading one religious extremism for another.

But just to make it clear, Bangladeshi identity is Bengali language and culture.

2) Economic benefit: You're right that joining India would mean that we would become part of the largest growing economy in the world. But the average Bangladeshi would see very little of that benefit. So I disagree that we would see a better life. Remember that for all of India's growth, half of Indians still live on less than $2 a day. The problem with big countries like India and China is that, even as their economies grow fast, their social development growth is very slow. It takes a large country a lot longer to develop socio-economocially. For example, Bangladesh has gotten rid of open defecation, while India still struggles with this issue. Bangladeshi women, by percentage, are more educated, more likely to work, and more likely to hold senior executive positions than Indian women.

Over the years, India will become a global economic force, and their dominant financial and government hubs like Mumbai and Delhi will benefit from it. But their beta cities and states will get left behind.

Now, if Bangladesh and West Bengal joined together to become the Bengal state of India, would we be alpha (due to the massive population of Bengal) or would we be beta? That's something we may never know.

Security: Yes, being a part of India would seem like we are more secure since they have a huge military. But they also have more enemies than Bangladesh, like Pakistan and China. We have a weak military, but that's because we don't need it.

Mobility: Yes, India would give us more mobility, but so what? In a globalized world, Bangladeshis have more mobility abroad now then ever before.

In the end, it really depends on what you value. if you only focus on economic growth, then yes Bangladesh should join India. But, for everything else, it really won't make a difference and would even be a step backwards.
Old September 17, 2017, 11:04 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

And also, we want to freely slaughter cows during kurbani and all year round mind you. We love our beef.
Old September 17, 2017, 11:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

+ imagine we have to share the dressing room with indian players (only if we are givven to represent any bengali players)
Old September 17, 2017, 11:45 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
And also, we want to freely slaughter cows during kurbani and all year round mind you. We love our beef.
Boom!
Old September 17, 2017, 12:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Please close this thread
What an insult to the freedom fighters and those who gave blood/life for language.

OP clearly has been reading too much trolls anti-BD stuffs that goes on FB, twitter.
Old September 17, 2017, 12:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
I can't imagine living without eating beef.

OP should understand that Bangladesh is independent, free and how a growing economy. With more stability will bring prosperity. Lots of potentials in so many areas, with a young massive population.

Having started from scratch it's only understandable it took time to get back up and rebuild.And that would've taken anyone time from such mass destruction before it was an independent country.
Old September 17, 2017, 04:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees

In the end, it really depends on what you value. if you only focus on economic growth, then yes Bangladesh should join India. But, for everything else, it really won't make a difference and would even be a step backwards.
Maybe annexing Nepal is a good idea . All our neighbors are only a phone call away to be anything part of Bangladesh the greatest country ever to grace Asia
Old September 18, 2017, 10:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Take that India.. we won 4-3.. what a comeback.. proud of our boys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZFQUkXLwco

Sorry for the irrelevant post but the thread itself is irrelevant so doesn`t matter...
Old September 18, 2017, 10:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Nope. I believe exactly the opposite should happen. We should merge West bengal with Bangladesh and form a greater bangla.
Old September 18, 2017, 12:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
Nope. I believe exactly the opposite should happen. We should merge West bengal with Bangladesh and form a greater bangla.
you've been on a roll lately
Old September 18, 2017, 12:07 PM
First Class Cricketer

Interesting thread.

I'm Indian - and from an Indian perspective, I ask: what positive things can Bangladesh contribute if they join India?

Since this is a cricket forum, I also ask - which Bangladeshi players would make the Indian team?
Old September 18, 2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse
Ah! Now we have another Bangla fan from ooper Bangla!

And self declared!!
Old September 18, 2017, 12:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
Ah! Now we have another Bangla fan from ooper Bangla!

And self declared!!
You made a mistake.. he is from epar bangla not opar bangla... irrespective from which side you are referring..
Old September 18, 2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReZ_1
You made a mistake.. he is from epar bangla not opar bangla... irrespective from which side you are referring..
epar Bangla it is then!
Old September 18, 2017, 12:38 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahroone
Interesting thread.

I'm Indian - and from an Indian perspective, I ask: what positive things can Bangladesh contribute if they join India?

Since this is a cricket forum, I also ask - which Bangladeshi players would make the Indian team?
An extra 160 million heads to your 2 billion plus. Surely thats a big positive.
Old September 18, 2017, 12:45 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot
An extra 160 million heads to your 2 billion plus. Surely thats a big positive.
India is not short of manpower, so this will be a (further) drag.

It would be a bad idea honestly. The likes of Chittagong and Sylhet won't be the cities that they are for starters, and will be tucked in a corner of the country and bereft of development that other regions receive.
Old September 18, 2017, 12:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahroone
Interesting thread.

None whatsoever. For both sides, it wouldn't make sense. Adding 160mm to 1.3 billion makes no sense for India. And losing economic, political, and cultural soverignty to become just another state in India makes no sense for Bangladesh.

With that said, Bangladesh as an economy is much more vibrant than some of your states that are lagging behind. If the question was, would India swap some of their states for Bangladesh, I bet most Indians would want that. (religion issue aside)
Closed Thread