facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 8, 2018, 12:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Default The Two are Related- Hunger for Captaincy and Developing Consistency

Shakib's captaincy was horrendous, Mushfiqur level horrendous, in the recent T20 Afg series. This then got me thinking, since Mash is out of T20, and since I am one of those guys who's not a big fan of him playing in ODIs (age, culture of selection based on leadership only, etc), who then are captaincy material AT ALL from the current set up?

Tamim and M'Dullah are ok, but they have had issues as well.

My mind went to Mustafizur for a moment (but then I laughed it off, how can someone so young give orders to his much older peers?)

Then it occurred to me. Some players coming into the national side must not only have performance aspirations but should also have captaincy aspirations which we don't see currently. They are only too happy to be given a shot, and the seniors are only too happy patronizing them, the likes of the locker room cancer Rahim and co.

So the next captain of Bd ( if we should be SO lucky), should be a fresher with an extraordinary amount of skills and consistent performances, who would have no problems giving orders to others, and dictating the game plan. Such a guy would forcefully take the mantle from the seniors and lead us on to the future. Right now, the guys are having trouble developing consistency, and so they won't dare develop captaincy aspirations.But which comes first? Had they come to the team with captaincy aspirations, I bet you top dollar, they would work their butts off to keep a certain level of performance.

You cannot come in wanting to stay, you need to come in wanting to lead. This message has to be drilled down to all freshers.

Old June 8, 2018, 02:45 PM
ODI Cricketer

I know Shakib's captaincy was horrible in the first two games but in the third game I didn't see him do much wrong. He used pacers early and took the risk of bowling spin in the death overs. He brought back Miraz for a second over after a wicket fell hoping the first one was only a fluke. Even when he gave Sarkar the ball, he only went for 8 runs and Ariful took a wicket in return of 13 runs.

I don't know who makes the starting XI but whoever does has to be blamed for dropping Mosaddek for Miraz even after he took 2 wickets in the previous game.
Old June 8, 2018, 02:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
My mind went to Mustafizur for a moment (but then I laughed it off, how can someone so young give orders to his much older peers?)

In case you don't know, Mustafiz is so introvert in nature that reportedly he was not even talking enough with his coach and peers in Mumbai Indians. Then, Mahela Jawardene flew Tamim's brother Nafis Iqbal to work as communication medium between Mustafiz and MI. Nafis therefore stayed over a month with MIs.

Unfortunately, we have no Graeme Smith.
Old June 8, 2018, 04:58 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Kind of like SA when they made smith captain or more recently Markram in ODIs, it's a tough one, but I agree that none of the senior players are captaincy material. It's a big risk, getting to that point where maybe it's worth it...I'd be less worried about whether they can captain the seniors (though it's a very valid point), I'd be worrying more about them taking their position for granted due to being captain or that being captain affects there performance.
Old June 8, 2018, 05:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Unfortunately the problem is that none of the younger guys can captain our seniors. These guys definitely have a sense of yea we gave enough service to the country (remember Mushy's teary speech after the sylhet team snubbed him?" )

These guys are not captainable. The only reason Mash has success is because he is older than all of them. Anyone younger would never command their respect.

So forget it. If it's not Shakib, then its mullah or Tamim or mushy. BCB will play musical chairs with these guys for the next 6-8 years.
Old June 8, 2018, 06:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
Unfortunately the problem is that none of the younger guys can captain our seniors. These guys definitely have a sense of yea we gave enough service to the country (remember Mushy's teary speech after the sylhet team snubbed him?" )

These guys are not captainable. The only reason Mash has success is because he is older than all of them. Anyone younger would never command their respect.

So forget it. If it's not Shakib, then its mullah or Tamim or mushy. BCB will play musical chairs with these guys for the next 6-8 years.
If that’s the case then sadly the best thing for BD cricket would be to drop the seniors, team would suffer in the short term but the team is suffering anyway.
Old June 8, 2018, 06:49 PM
Test Cricketer

Then there will be the next level of seniors from the left overs.
Old June 8, 2018, 07:02 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tonne
Then there will be the next level of seniors from the left overs.
Only seniors left are shakib, mushy, tamim and riyad. I guess rubel and imrul, razzak occasionally but imrul and razzak aren’t automatics and rubel is only secure in ODIs. Everyone else except for mash in ODIs is pretty much 26 or under so you could start again. Issue is no youngsters are performing consistently so tough to pick a captain out of them because no ones position is established.
Old June 8, 2018, 07:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sanga,Mash,Shakib,Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
If that’s the case then sadly the best thing for BD cricket would be to drop the seniors, team would suffer in the short term but the team is suffering anyway.
It will never happen, but I agree with you. I would like to drop the seniors from T20s, and let them just play under Mash in ODIs.

For T20s, we go really young. Hand over captaincy to someone like Das or Shanto, and have them essentially captain their peers and see how they do. Worst case scenario, we lose games, which we already are doing now. Best case scenario, we get a possible captain to prove himself and take over for T20s and ODIs after Mash.
Old June 8, 2018, 07:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees
It will never happen, but I agree with you. I would like to drop the seniors from T20s, and let them just play under Mash in ODIs.

For T20s, we go really young. Hand over captaincy to someone like Das or Shanto, and have them essentially captain their peers and see how they do. Worst case scenario, we lose games, which we already are doing now. Best case scenario, we get a possible captain to prove himself and take over for T20s and ODIs after Mash.
Yeah won’t happen, but from the young guys shanto and mehedi are probably the best prospects for captaincy.

Interesting to bring up liton, more responsibility might help him (or maybe not).
Old June 8, 2018, 07:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Thing is there are youngsters ready to step up: shanto, towhid, afif, shadman, zakir, hider, shoriful, yeasin etc.

It’s not like it couldn’t be done but it would be a very big task to follow through on, would have to give players a very long rope to learn.

And I kind of think it’s time to drop sabbir and soumya for shanto, zakir etc. maybe give soumya a couple more series in ODIs and give sabbir the opportunity to bat 3 in t20Is for a bit and see what happens but otherwise other options need to be tried because the team just isn’t developing.
Old June 8, 2018, 08:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Very good stuff Gowza and Yankees. We really are in trouble since no newcomer wants to lead. This tells me the pipeline is extremely weak. No one that skilled and that strong willed who will take the team by the horns. Going by body language, maybe Liton Das? He doesn't seem as subservient to the seniors, and always has a game face on, but even he is struggling to maintain consistency! One remarkable innings vs SL in T20, and boom, disappeared!

It doesn't help that that deviant piece of trash Rahim is always politicking against other wicket keepers in the team.
Old June 9, 2018, 02:26 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
You mean the only guys who perform regularly with the bat. When has anyone beside Tamim, Shakib, Mahmudullah or Mushfiq made frequent contribution with the bat?

I would put the problem being BCB than the players. BCB didn't get a head coach for 8 months and that's unacceptable for a test playing nation. We also don't have regional cricket boards or our A team and U19 team rarely do anything. We also don't have series against weaker nations to give some of these young players a chance to shine and play a bit more freely. Doesn't fire Walsh even though he hasn't been good enough. It's a cost saving tendency they have which is ruining our team.
Old June 9, 2018, 02:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zura
You mean the only guys who perform regularly with the bat. When has anyone beside Tamim, Shakib, Mahmudullah or Mushfiq made frequent contribution with the bat?

I would put the problem being BCB than the players. BCB didn't get a head coach for 8 months and that's unacceptable for a test playing nation. We also don't have regional cricket boards or our A team and U19 team rarely do anything. We also don't have series against weaker nations to give some of these young players a chance to shine and play a bit more freely. Doesn't fire Walsh even though he hasn't been good enough. It's a cost saving tendency they have which is ruining our team.
Not saying it’s just the players, and yes I know the seniors are the only ones performing bar a performance here and there hence why I said it would be a very big task to follow through on. Also said it would never happen.

BCB have been horrendous, no doubt about it.