facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 26, 2004, 06:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!
Default Bangladesh seek upbeat exit

Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar has challenged his team to bow out of the Asia Cup on a high note when they take on Pakistan on Thursday.

They were the first team to arrive for the tournament in Sri Lanka.

But despite the extra preparation, they have only managed to bear Hong Kong in their four games so far.

"I am not happy with the performances of the team in this tournament. There are no positives to be drawn from the matches we have played," said Bashar.

"All our players are upset with their performances so far. But we have had a break [since the last game] in which to reassess our strengths and weaknesses."

He added: "If we win the toss against Pakistan, we will field first and try to contain them.

"But apart from Inzamam and Yousuf Youhana, Yasir [Hameed) and Shoaib [Malik] are playing very well for the Pakistanis."

Bashar believes the tournament has been another step in the learning process for his team.

Apart from the Hong Kong game, they have only won one limited overs international since the 1999 World Cup.

"This experience shows we will have to work harder, both mentally and physically," said coach Dav Whatmore.

source: BBC

Old July 26, 2004, 08:22 AM
Cricket Guru

matter of fact We won't win..we are not there yet to win..I am sorry to say that
but it will take years to beat sub continental team
lankans are diff...bengalis are diff
Old July 26, 2004, 08:31 AM
Test Cricketer

How can bashar motivates the whole team when he can not just motivate himself. He has been giving away his wicket without any reason in all matches in this Asia Cup.
Old July 26, 2004, 08:37 AM
ODI Cricketer

I know the team has failed, generally. But as a captain, Bashar should be more specific, and talk about his own failure. Very irresponsible batting on his part. May be he should try and learn something about patience from the young Ashraful.

A decent performance against Pakistan will salvage some pride for the team. It won't be an easy match, as Pakistan will come out to make sure that they qualify for the final. Does anyone know if Javed Omar will be back for the Pakistan match? Rajin can be dropped for this match if Javed comes back.
Old July 26, 2004, 08:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Ibrahim
How can bashar motivates the whole team when he can not just motivate himself. He has been giving away his wicket without any reason in all matches in this Asia Cup.
million dollar questions here. he simply sorry!
Old July 26, 2004, 08:46 AM
Cricket Legend

I will be happy if it is a hard fought match but looking at things, this Pakistan team is pumped up to go all the way. We need to sort out the ODI line up before ICC Champions trophy in September.
Old July 26, 2004, 09:01 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

If Bashar thinks his words will do the trick no matter how bad he performs.. he is simply damn wrong..

Performance always speaks more than words... it's the captain who needs to start playing responsibly!! Only then he can start commanding to do the same to others!
Old July 26, 2004, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Nicely said.

[Edited on 26-7-2004 by PoorFan]
Old July 26, 2004, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by crickethorizon
If Bashar thinks his words will do the trick no matter how bad he performs.. he is simply damn wrong..

Performance always speaks more than words... it's the captain who needs to start playing responsibly!! Only then he can start commanding to do the same to others!
Bashar should listen to these.
He must be the loser, if he fails again in the next match.
Old July 26, 2004, 09:25 AM
amit(a huge BD fan)
Unregistered

bd will beat pak

Old July 26, 2004, 12:19 PM
Club Cricketer

I admit that Bashar played irresponsibly but that does not deny him the rights of captaincy. All captains have the right to assess their players performances whether they themselves perform or not. How come I never heard any of these comments about Bashar when he was playing well? Hypocrisy...
Old July 26, 2004, 12:21 PM
Club Cricketer

Oh btw. I really appreciate the support you show for our team amit...
Old July 26, 2004, 12:45 PM
Club Cricketer

Typical Bangali reaction

When someone plays a good innings we praise them but when they play a couple of bad innings we tend to slag them off.
Old July 26, 2004, 12:45 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

just wondering, is whatmore high enough to still believe that bd can play in the final?

3 main hope for bd team is not perfoming at all in this tournament:

bashar

rajin

rafiq

result: an aweful series for bangladesh.
Old July 26, 2004, 12:59 PM
Cricket Legend

[quote]Originally posted by TAIF
Typical Bangali reaction

"when they play a couple of bad innings we tend to slag them off"

now check bashar last 17 ODI score! tell me how many times he put a good show?

only twice in that matter!!! that's shame! a big damn shame Of our CAPTAN!
Old July 26, 2004, 01:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Here are Bashar last 17 ODI scores includes Asia Cup

Pakistan: 6, 25, 14, 37, 13

England: 10, 21

Zimbabwe: 61, 0, 2

West Indies: 0, 2, 42

Asia Cup: 7, 2, 2, 32- against Hong Kong
Old July 26, 2004, 01:14 PM
First Class Cricketer

I agree with rassell, for someone to play on that orer, must be aware of such pressures it involved and surely must be able to perform under them. If they underperform then they are clearly not the suitable to play in that role.

Ashraful is handling this shift in batting oder fine, as was Javed Omar, but Bashar has not been convincing at all.:tiger:
Old July 26, 2004, 06:25 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Alcoholic giving lessons on virtues of sobriety

Quote:
- I guess 'lead by example' was never part of his repertoire.

How can he possibly talk about team failure etc. in straight face without ever mentioning how utterly stupid and irresponsible way he threw away his wickets?

He can't mask his immature plays that simply were unbecoming of a captain and a test player, by coating his message in the context of the team doing badly.

If he had any integrity he could've redeem himself by admitting how he had failed to lead the team. Both the captain and his second-in-command were simply awful and acted like bunch of amateurs.

Even my old Chatgaiya Inter-Para Cricket captain used to show more grit/nerve during a game.

We are not talking about some unfortunate run outs stemming from pressure situations, or getting out from unplayable deliveries or from brilliant catches...rather same old dumb, self destructing pokes.
Shifts after shifts, we see same mistakes from someone who was supposed lead rest of the boys.

Even Alok, despite going back to his old habit of fishing expedition showed more nerve in Asia cup than that of HB.

If anyone who can talk about pride, heart, leadership and instill some inspiration among the team, it will be Ash or Javed Omar. Both of these guys, I believe, decided to show up when they entered the field with a bat in hand.

If anything, those two are the ones who should be talking to the team about what inspired them and how they felt when facing the opponent.
Against the Lankans, Ash's was a display of the fighting spirit from someone who refused to give up even while looking thru the barrel.

The technique is there, talent, training is there.
What has been and is still largely missing is the spirit and heart of a fighter (here I go again.
Talk of spirit and pride is not mere lip services. No one can inspire anyone just by giving some grandiose speech.

Inspiration comes from watching pride, fighting spirit manifesting itself in terms heroic resistance in a perilous situation.
Virtues as such can not be packaged and sold as antidote to the team failure.
The players need to feel them and be moved by their sheer power and by making tangible to themselves.

For some reason, I always tend to find some real life experiences when discussing otherwise nebulous concepts of the energy, feelings etc.
As an audiophile at heart, my passion has been to always look for the elusive holy grail of high end speakers. One of my most favorite speakers that I had the good fortune to own a pair, are the B&Ws. When their flagship 'Nautilus' line came out, it carried a slogan:

"Listen, and you will See".

First time, I heard those speakers at a stereo boutique, I knew and I SAW exactly what they meant.
I was moved, stood motionless by the intoxicating effect of the music coming out those boxes.
Those who had been in my situation know what I am talking about. Thanks to the miracle of modern circuitry I was able to SEE what was coming out of those boxes.

Our guys must learn how to get to the point where they can feel the energy of a proud professional, SEE what pride is, and inhale the essence of a fighting spirit.

Yes, it can be done. It has been done by the Tigers before.

The only silver lining of the whole Asia Cup fiasco, is the display of Ash's fighting spirit, his pride in his own ability as a test player, his determination to show the cricketing world that Tigers' inclusion is not a fluke, that they belong there.

Rest of the team needs to drink in that spirit, connect with him at the same wavelength and SEE what their teammate is feeling.

Winning a match is just a by product.

[Edited on 7/28/2004 by BushidoTiger]
Old July 26, 2004, 10:20 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

well said bushido tiger