facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 6, 2004, 08:25 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿
Default Haire Bangladesh

What is wrong with this picture ?

from thedailystar.net

What has a 'fellow' students accidental death have to do with burning down these 3 stalls (prolly run by some poor guy who now lost a lot of money and his family will go starvig for a good few days) and the burning (burn your own car and your own house and then go burn yourself) 6 vehicles ? How do these (so called) human beings justify their own actions ?

I know that our politicians are to take some of the blame for our current situation but who needs politicians when we have a history (these things has been going on for ages - or as long as I can remember) of violance perpetrated by the general public. It's despicable.

Old September 6, 2004, 08:31 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শাï¿

Come to think of it, I guess it's our human nature. This happens all over the world but I am more interested with the Bangladeshi aspect.

I believe that if we had a strong law enforcement where the perps knew that they'd be held responsible for their actions, we could have minimized these kind of destructive behavior.
Old September 6, 2004, 09:35 PM
Club Cricketer

Bangladeshi ppl are normally hotheaded (more or less). Students even more. We are not good at defending ourselves all on our own, but when we are in a group we seem to think of ourselves as "invinsibles". Who cares if our actions mean the end of livelihood for a shopkeeper or a rickshawpuller...we just need to vent our frustrations. This is our national identity...so it seems. Last year in Gulshan (near North South University), I witnessed (from my room) some ppl beating up an alleged pick-pocketer. What happened shortly afterwards truely speaks of our true color. This guy..in his mid 40s...possibly going to his office....stopped....somehow jostled his way into the crowd beating the pick-pocketer...and lashed out with his shoe..managed a kick or two..then turned away...and started for his office again. I didnt know what to think of that. I tried to figure out why he did that, all I could come up with is: he possibly is under stress, maybe he gets kicked around in his office and his life, maybe he is frustrated with his life.....so this gave him a chance to vent his anger on someone...he may even think that he has done a noble job. Maybe when he was kicking that guy, he was thinking how the government screwed him, how the prices of essentials are increasing everyday, how he is going to pay back the loan he owes the bank etc. And so he channeled his worries in a different direction. Hey..its just a theory! But if we look at it in this context, then it may give us some insight. And what happened to the pick-pocketer? Well,after enduring some heavy handed indiscriminate beating, he managed to flee, and everyone went about their work as if nothing happened. No one went to call the cops or anything. Amazing!

Since we (many of banglacricket members) are abroad, we appreciate a harmonious environment and therefore are against such vandalisms (the daily star report). However up close (when u r basically living in BD), one becomes oblivious of the fact that this is not a normal reaction and treats this news as any other insignificant news on paper. Maybe everyone near JahangirNogor university and elsewhere feels the same way!
Old September 7, 2004, 10:50 AM
Cricket Legend

"If I can't touch it then you should'nt have it"- That's all. Same mentality from the despicable acid mara to other types of crime/vandalism.