facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 2, 2014, 02:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Default New Fielding & Spin Coach

http://www.thedailystar.net/sports/kalpage-coming-35574

Ruwan Kalpage set to return as fielding coach of Bangladesh. He was recently axed from his assistant coach position because SLC was not happy with the level of fielding (http://crichim.com/?p=1083). Although this move was highly criticized by local media.

I think this is once again Bangladesh's gain and Sri Lanka's loss. They will even lose Atapattu the way they are going. Kalpage is very familiar with Bangladesh having worked at academy, as fielding and spin bowling coach in the past. Has gained a lot of experience since leaving Bangladesh. I think he would definitely make big contributions once again under Hathurusingha.

Regarding Piyal Wijetunge, he has recently decided to quit his role as spin bowling coach of SLC. Although not exactly high profile he has been involved as a spin mentor at all levels-age group to national team, and has pretty much worked with all leading and emerging Sri Lankan spinners. I hope we can expand his duties beyond the national team and work with spinners even at grass root level, just like how he has done in Sri Lanka.

Its been reported, Sri Lanka's head of coaching Jerome Jayaratne is also resigning from his position. Jayaratne is a real development coach who has done a lot of below the surface work in the past decade. This role is probably a more expanded and wider role than the one played by Richard McIness. If we can somehow lure him into our setup we can be rest assured our future generation will be in good hands.

Old August 2, 2014, 03:53 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Almost a complete SL coaching staff. Hope they can do well for us.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 2, 2014, 06:25 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

is kalpage any good? because all it sounds like to me is that BCB hired someone who was just sacked for not being good at the job BCB has just hired them for...
Old August 2, 2014, 10:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Very soon we ll see SLC will also ditch Atapattu. As i mentioned even their head of coaching, spin bowling coach also resigned. Probably Vaas will be the last man standing! Most in Sri Lankan cricketing fraternity are rebuking such rash thoughtless moves. Sacking of Kalpage is rather unfair because he has done a lot of good work in the past decade-whether as computer analyst or spin coach or fielding coach, and just a month or so ago they were praising him and promoted him as assistant coach. Sri Lanka's loss is our gain, and BCB is being Sun Tzuish in taking advantage of the situation.

Is Kalpage any good? I think he should definitely do better than Jason Swift (Our last fielding coach). Although i bet Julien Fountain is still the best guy we worked with.

There are some other things that will work well with Kalpage. He is head coach material considering his experience, had even applied for the Sri Lanka national team coach role. So he will not just bring in technical knowledge in fielding, expect him to contribute from a wider angle. Many of the guys in the team were his students when he worked in the academy. He knows all the strengths and weaknesses of these players. He can start doing fielding drills from day one without any adjustment period. Fielding is also closely related to fitness, and he will have a good compatriot in Mario Villavarayan. Finally i expect Chandika Hathurusinghe to be able to make better use of Kalpage than the latters bosses in Sri Lanka. Hathurusinghe has worked and played alongside Kalpage and knows him well enough to make the best use of him.
Old August 2, 2014, 11:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

as long as he's a good fielding coach then i'll be happy since that's going to be his starting job with the BCB, all the other skills he brings are a nice bonus. SL have done alright lately so having the SL coaching staff might not be a bad thing.
Old August 3, 2014, 01:15 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Shakib

Two good appointments IMO. Sri Lankan spinners have been pretty good in almost all conditions, say Herath, Senayake etc. Hence the spin coach is a good add.

About Kalpage, he had good experience with BD before and will add new insights after his stint with SL. We all know SL is a solid fielding unit, probably one of the best. Hence I take this add as positive for us too.

According to Prothom Alo, a BCB director said these appointments are done because Hathurusinghe wanted so. So to my surprise, BCB hasnt YET poked its nose into Chandika's demands/wishes regarding coach units. Is it the calmness before the storm?!
Old August 6, 2014, 09:35 AM
Cricket Legend

http://www.espncricinfo.com/srilanka...ry/766947.html

Kalpage and Wijetunge have handed in resignation letters.

Interesting a fan describes Bangladesh as Liverpool and Sri Lanka as Southhampton
Old August 6, 2014, 12:43 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Results, else ground work equates to very little. Best of luck coaches.
Old August 9, 2014, 01:56 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

dropped ..... dropped again ......... oh no .....................

should have saved the boundary .....

should have saved the single .....

mushy spoils another Stumping .....

that should have been a easy runout ..... direct hit or better throw was needed ......