facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 7, 2010, 09:28 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose
Default New BCB CEO joins today

good luck to new CEO

Old September 7, 2010, 09:37 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

A very good news for BD fans, BCB and BD cricket.

I hope he will:

1. Restructure BCB to give a more professional look with maximum output and build a positive organizational culture based on accountability, trust and innovation.
2. Restructure our domestic league to have more long term potentials, specially in pace hunt.
3. Give a psychological boost for the national team and be a great motivational factor in a positive way for a long term.
4. Bring atleast one championship cup to BD during his tenure.
5. Do well along with Mr. Lotus.

Welcome to BD, Mr. CEO and the best of luck.
Old September 7, 2010, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Well - his past will be an indicator of his future....

Here is an interview of him while he was the Brunei Cricket CEO:

http://news.brunei.fm/2010/02/14/he-...runei-cricket/

He works hard for Brunei cricket

The Brunei Times Feb 14th, 2010

The Brunei Darussalam Cricket Association's CEO Manzur Ahmed. Picture: BT/ Jason Thomas.

Active in Brunei cricket since the 1990s after he came from Bangladesh where he was a national player, Brunei Darussalam Cricket Association’s (BDCA’s) CEO Manzur Ahmed captained the Brunei national team from 1997 to 2006. He believes the Sultanate has great potential in the sport and recently talked to JASON THOMAS about BDCA’s vision, limitations and why he isn’t really concerned about Brunei lagging behind in the international arena Q: Good morning Sir. Can you provide me with a short background of the BDCA?
A: The BDCA has been around for a very long time but it was running on a small scale until 2004.
We became members of the International Cricket Council (ICC) around 1996 or 1997 I think, and it was around that time that we were officially registered with the Registrar of Societies.
In late 2004 we launched development programmes and set up strategic plans to seriously introduce cricket to locals.
In 2005 we got the Ong Sum Ping Cricket ground from the Department of Youth and Sports and since then cricket has kicked up.
Q: How have the ICC and Asian Cricket Council (ACC) helped the BDCA?
A: Both the ACC and ICC are very supportive since the time we approached them in 2005 for funding to develop infrastructure and development programmes in Brunei.
The ACC also helped us finance the setting up of the nets and an artificial wicket. The funding is mostly for the infrastructure and development though, not operational expenses.
Q: What is the BDCA doing to nurture the sport at school level?
A: I am quite encouraged by the response from schools, particularly the primary schools. This year we have already brought cricket to secondary and higher institutions such as Institut Teknologi Brunei and Paduka Seri Begawan Sultan Science College (Maktab Sains).
Our next target is Universiti Brunei Darussalam (UBD) and technical institutions like Sultan Saiful Rijal Technical College (MTSSR).
We are also trying to negotiate with the Sports School to introduce cricket there.
We have primary school pupils ranging from 10 to 13 years old playing now and we had Under-13 inter-school tournament for the last three years. Some teachers are helping us by organising cricket classes as we are lacking in number of coaches.
Q: Can you elaborate, please?
A: Right now there are only three active coaches and we need more. We have some other active coaches but they are not qualified, and we want to expand the number by getting more people involved in the technical aspect.
That is one thing the BDCA needs to work on. Most importantly we need a qualified full-time coach. In this regard, we have already applied to the Department of Youth and Sports and we are hoping for a positive response soon.
Q: What is being done to find another field and have potential sites been identified?
A: No potential site but anywhere is alright, as long as it is in the Bandar (capital) area.
The Department of Youth and Sports has been quite supportive, but maybe it is having problem finding a suitable site
Q: What are the repercussions of not having another field?
A: The ACC and ICC want us to confirm to certain things like a website and office which we already have. But the other thing is we need a minimum of two fields and if we have a good field we can really promote cricket.
We can have regular tournaments which will promote not only cricket but Brunei as well.
Also since we have 10 teams in the league now, they may not get the chance to play every week some players might only play once a month.
Q: Are there any other barriers preventing cricket’s development in Brunei?
A: There are no real barriers but Brunei has two distinct shortcomings; the weather and lack of facilities in schools.
Some of the adults train every Friday morning but once a week is not good enough. We need to train at least two or three times a week so that they can learn faster.
Also there is not enough public transport here so kids have to depend on their busy parents to send them to training sessions.
In December the Under-19 team’s practice for the 2009 U-19 Challenge Cup was disrupted by rain. If we had an indoor facility that problem would be solved.
Q: Can you tell me more about this idea, having an indoor facility for cricket?
A: My vision is to create an indoor facility in Brunei one day. That will be our new proposal for the Department of Youth and Sports. We don’t need a big space. A bit of air conditioning will help, but if we don’t have that it’s alright as long as there is ventilation.
That will help promote cricket as well and it will help in many ways. We can build up a cricket academy with the indoor facility. If we can build it at the Hassanal Bolkiah National Sports Complex in Berakas vicinity, that would be the best since all the facilities like a gym, track, meeting rooms and swimming pools are already there.
If we can join all those puzzles together it can be a one-stop training facility that even countries like Malaysia and Singapore don’t have.
Q: Long-term, what are the BDCA’s other plans?
A: My ultimate goal is to get more locals playing cricket. I know it is a new game so it will take some time.
Q: Are there any upcoming tournaments that the BDCA will be sending a team to?
A: The Under-16 team are going to Kuala Lumpur in July for the ACC Under-16 Challenge Trophy. The Under-16 team are currently undergoing centralised training every Monday, Thursday and Saturday.
In December, the senior team will be going for the ACC Challenge Trophy, though the event’s location has not been disclosed yet.
Q: Brunei finished last at last December’s 2009 U-19 Challenge Cup in Chiang Mai, Thailand. What can you tell me about Brunei’s standard compared to the other teams in Asia?
A: Our standard is not very high and I am not discouraged by that. Our current strategic goal is to infuse and popularise the game in Brunei first. Our target is to establish cricket in schools and have more coaches. Once that is established then we will go for lifting standard.
Both are going parallel though in certain aspect but our primary concern is infusing cricket in Brunei.
Q: What kind of tournaments do the BDCA organise?
A: We have different format of tournaments every year. This year we will start with the league on Feb 28 and will continue until October or November to be played on every Sunday. Two new teams, Brunei Blasters and 11 Brothers, will be joining the league this season to make a total of 10 teams.
The newly established teams are made up of extra players from other teams who do not get the chance to play regularly.
The T20 Trophy has now been held for the last two years. Last year we introduced the T12, which is an improvised form of T20.
I think maybe we are the first country in Asia to introduce the T12 because I haven’t heard of anywhere else in Asia holding it. We have been pioneers in introducing Level 0 coaching and umpiring courses and we are trying to do the same with the T12.
Q: What is Level 0?
A: In 2006 the BDCA introduced a kind of coaching and umpiring programme called Level 0. Previously the ACC and ICC had courses for Level 1, 2 and 3 but when we started sending participants in 2005, one interesting observation I noticed was that some of them did not have much exposure and it was hard to gain experience.
So I said why not train coaches at a lower level than Level 1? Why not do in your own country instead of wasting resources to travel to other countries to do Level 1 courses? Those who qualify, and after a certain amount of service to their association say six months or a year can move on to Level 1.
It is more financially viable. So we started Level 0 and introduced it to the ACC and now many countries are using this.
If you check the 2006 ACC booklet they recognise this fact.
Old September 7, 2010, 09:53 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim IK/Nasir Hossain

hmm.. i didnt kno there country called Brunei ...
Old September 7, 2010, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Just a comment not necessarily disparaging his qualifications and abilities - I hope we will be able to effectively run the organization in spite of political meddling. This is a huge promotion for him. Kind of like the manager of your local MacDonald's franchise was suddenly promoted to be the CEO of the entire organization. I shall stay optimistic.
Old September 7, 2010, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashed411
hmm.. i didnt kno there country called Brunei ...
Where have you been?

In fact, Brunei had a kingdom that encompassed most of Borneo, eastern Indonesian islands and some of the southern Philippines. Now it's just a tiny enclave sandwiched between the Malaysian states of Sawarak and Sabah. Small population and oil rich. The king Bolkiah is filthy rich - one of the richest in the world. I have been to BSB several times - small but clean.
Old September 7, 2010, 10:01 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Oh Look! He looks like Dr. Zee's cousin.
Old September 8, 2010, 01:45 AM

Good luck facing off with lota kamal
Old September 8, 2010, 02:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

ummm,i am not sure whther he wil be able to handle an organisation like bcb.i mean we have made our mark in the cricketing world but brunei cricket isn't as large as ours...
Old September 8, 2010, 02:26 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

I'm skeptic, but wishing him all the best.

No 1 thing he needs to do, if he hasnt already.
Join BanglaCricket.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old September 8, 2010, 02:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Just a comment not necessarily disparaging his qualifications and abilities - I hope we will be able to effectively run the organization in spite of political meddling. This is a huge promotion for him. Kind of like the manager of your local MacDonald's franchise was suddenly promoted to be the CEO of the entire organization. I shall stay optimistic.
I think Mr. Lotus wanted someone like him. His contract may expire by the time he gets accustomed with everything. So, no option rather to say "Ji Hujur" during his contract period.

Anyway, I am also optimistic that at least the new CEO can bring some operational change and improve the overall process.
Old September 9, 2010, 07:09 AM
Cricket Legend

is this guy akabir bhai's cousin?
Old September 9, 2010, 08:08 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Wish this guy all the best. I have faith in Akabir vai's cousin.

Last edited by Habib; September 9, 2010 at 01:11 PM..
Old September 9, 2010, 08:23 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sean williams

gooD thing by BCB
Old September 9, 2010, 08:45 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

bideshi CEO chai, deshi CEO will be corrupted. There is no honest people in BD, all politically influenced.
Old September 9, 2010, 08:57 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

I wish our new CEO all the best and lots of good luck... I am sure he will need them coz he'll be working with our beloved lotus....
Old September 9, 2010, 10:06 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseshah
bideshi CEO chai, deshi CEO will be corrupted. There is no honest people in BD, all politically influenced.
Nice generalising
Old September 9, 2010, 10:58 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

couple of things...
1. yes he is my cousin
2. he will never do corruption
3. he will never do ji hujur, no matter who it is. he got higher connection then lotus, so lotus cannot intimate him. actually that's why he got the job after 3 years where as every thing was kind of final long ago but lotus was scared of him and wasn't wanting him. lipu wanted him so that he can put a chain on lotus. one thing for sure you will not see lotus do anything stupid any more (keeping my fingers crossed...)

folafol probably will leave before his contract ends like other good mngt...

also he is very much of capable of running BCB. trust me on that. but whether every one else will help him or try to make his life hell, that needs to be seen.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old September 9, 2010, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
Nice generalising
ironic generalizing but this are fact.
Old September 9, 2010, 01:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
ironic generalizing but this are fact.
No. This are not fact. Please show me the proof & state your age.
Old September 10, 2010, 01:18 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier

Quote:
Wiseshah, as a sidedig, you had the cast of Gray's Anatomy as avatar for a few years. Why? That show is like torture.

Your statement is very generalised. My view is...a deshi CEO cannot get the job done, mainly because when it comes to bideshis, bangladeshis still go "yes sir". As a result, good foreign Executives with good intentions can do a lot of things just by asking for it. If it is a Bangladeshi, even if he's got an MBA from Harvard or Cambridge, everyone will just look at him at another Bangladeshi, think which political party he might support, what social stature his grandparents had, why they are better than him, why he is not married, why he doesn't pray, why is he so nice-is he hiding something and why the heck does he think he knows better than a seasoned politician/businessman/ BUET engineer/minister's son etc etc?

If he is a foreign person working as a CEO, and he asks for a new cricket field at Sandeep, they'd just groan and if the ministers don't object, they'll just do it.
Old September 10, 2010, 01:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habib
No. This are not fact. Please show me the proof & state your age.

show u the proof? check urself,
we r #1 corrupted country in the whole world and 3 times in a row. we have corruption in primary school, college, university, hospital, bank, police, army,BDR,ansar,tender,post office, garments, parliament,just name one place-where we dont have.

1971-2010--------we have zero progress
still all our main universities, industries, main bridges, all the tourist places and cadet colleges are built during british period. since then, we only fought about zia valo na mujib.

hasina sundori na khaleda

pillkhana mamlar bichar hoyna

all we do name change--airport, school, bridge
all we do changing poster of jatir pita or jatir ghoshok in the office room

i dont know how many times americans cry over george washington or india cry over nehru or gandhi

some one win noble prize and dont get enough respect from his own people

without bribe, not even one single file moves
without any single phone call--no one gets job
closed down all the jutemills but main worry is is jamal/kamal will get top sadhinota purosker

if u dont do student politics, u will not get versity seat

thousand examples
Old September 10, 2010, 01:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahaz
Wiseshah, as a sidedig, you had the cast of Gray's Anatomy as avatar for a few years. Why? That show is like torture.
why do u care about my avatar? thats my choice. and its Dr house, not greys anatomy. and alex and george omally are my favourite character in grey's anatomy, i am not a great fan of greys anatomy but i like those two character. thats why they are in my collage
Old September 10, 2010, 02:20 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
show u the proof? check urself,
we r #1 corrupted country in the whole world and 3 times in a row. we have corruption in primary school, college, university, hospital, bank, police, army,BDR,ansar,tender,post office, garments, parliament,just name one place-where we dont have.

1971-2010--------we have zero progress
still all our main universities, industries, main bridges, all the tourist places and cadet colleges are built during british period. since then, we only fought about zia valo na mujib.

hasina sundori na khaleda

pillkhana mamlar bichar hoyna

all we do name change--airport, school, bridge
all we do changing poster of jatir pita or jatir ghoshok in the office room

i dont know how many times americans cry over george washington or india cry over nehru or gandhi

some one win noble prize and dont get enough respect from his own people

without bribe, not even one single file moves
without any single phone call--no one gets job
closed down all the jutemills but main worry is is jamal/kamal will get top sadhinota purosker

if u dont do student politics, u will not get versity seat

thousand examples
Let me say it politely. So as a deshi you are corrupted too. I'm corrupted too. Both of our gushtis are corrupted too right?
How many people among the whole population are in the position to do corruption in BD in the first place? There is a lot of corruption in BD no denying it just like many other LDC countries. But you've just accused every BD people of being corrupted which just exposes your lack of knowledge about it.
Pilkhana mamlar bichar cholchhe-you could've known about it if you just read the newspaper or watch BD channels.
The nobel prize issue is irrelevent in this matter.
We haven't progressed at all after British period? Wow. Are you an expatriat? If so then you need to visit BD again. And my question is do you even know how it was like in British period?
And the jute mills are opening again.
BTW you forgot to tell your age Wiseshah.

Last edited by Habib; October 7, 2010 at 10:36 PM..
Old September 10, 2010, 03:48 AM
Cricket Legend

wiseshah bhai,that was a generalised comment which u shouldn't have made.u just sound like those women who go out shopping and first thing they say after they enter a shop is "bideshi jinish dekhan,deshita bhalo pore na!" how do u know that everyone in bd who reach a position of power is corrupted?the examples that u have stated are those of the public sector but do u have any idea about the private sector?there are many capable an qualified and CORRUPTION FREE top level executives working in MNCs here,would u say that they are all corrupted?