facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

View Poll Results: Do you support the decision of blackout commercial places from 7PM?
Yes, this is a great decision! 16 76.19%
No, not good for country like Bangladesh. 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 25, 2007, 08:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Blackout Commercial Places after 7PM

From Sunday the 25th Feb, all market place, shopping mall and commercial places should be closed by 7PM. This decision is to prevent further deterioration of current electricity condition. Even using generator or UPS also will not be allowed. Goverment will monitor it and law and enforcement team will help to implement this new rule. Exceptions are medicine, resturant, Kacha-bazar and small shops of para-moholla.

How do you see it? Do you support it or not?? If yes, why and if not, please explain here.

Last edited by sar2005; February 25, 2007 at 08:17 AM..

Old February 25, 2007, 09:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Absolutely support this. This is a temporary solution as I see it until the power situation improves in the country. I am all for it.
Old February 27, 2007, 03:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
Absolutely support this. This is a temporary solution as I see it until the power situation improves in the country. I am all for it.
Right. Also, it'll reduce some traffic jams after dark and subseqyuently fuel.
Old February 27, 2007, 04:01 AM
ODI Cricketer

I voted in favor of this given the current electricity crisis, however, this decision should have been complemented by a mandatory change in office hours to 7:30 am - 3:30 pm or something like that. With the current office timing and traffic JAM, it is IMPOSSIBLE for an office goer to drop into a shopping mall after office. While it is very inconvenient to the office goer, this will also affect the business which employ a lot of people.
Old February 27, 2007, 06:25 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

No. Because the amount of power it will save is very little compared to the shortage in supply.

They expect to save 250 MW power with this action, while last year the shortage was around 2000MW. It's not a choice when you have to choose between loadshedding of 50 mins or 1 hour.

In practice, I didn't see ANY reduction in loadshedding in my area yesterday.
Old February 27, 2007, 01:28 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Sounds good to me. May be they should extend it to 8pm on weekends for shopping malls only.

Although just restrictions on commercial places won't do any good. Industries, factories and most importantly households have to be sensible to save energy.

Can anyone tell if pay & go electric meters are used in BD?
Old February 27, 2007, 01:39 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

i am not in BD so not having to taste it...

but I think saving some is better than saving none. Mohila'der emnitei ratey beshi guraguri bhalo na.

As time goes the demand will rise. So only loadsheding wouldn't be able to compensate. But a planned load sheding schedule should be enforced (all areas getting equal treatment).
Office goers can shop on the weekends.
Old February 27, 2007, 02:06 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

they should be allowed to open after 11 and stay open till 7. I voted yes i support this
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old February 27, 2007, 05:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

From an electric point of view, this is a sound solution until electricity problem gets fixed. Because those new shopping malls like Bashundhara consumes tonnes electricity while poorer areas of the city spends upto 8 hours or more in load sheding.
Old February 27, 2007, 08:19 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien
From an electric point of view, this is a sound solution until electricity problem gets fixed. Because those new shopping malls like Bashundhara consumes tonnes electricity while poorer areas of the city spends upto 8 hours or more in load sheding.
Bashundhara city and the likes do not consume even 50% of the electricity that is being stolen by our corrupt PWD personnel. Stopping this "System Loss" would be a much more efficient way to resolve the problem. But like we always do, we resorted to the easier solution. I expected better from this Govt.
Old February 28, 2007, 08:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
How on earth did you get all three of them to lie down together for long enough to take that picture. I have just one kid and I can't make her do anything.

Very nice piture, BTW.
Old March 8, 2007, 03:31 AM
First Class Cricketer

Funny things are happening when this 7pm blackout started. Loadshading become a more regular when electricity is saved. I personally can't support this coz most of the working people do their shopping after 6pm. Some markets are closed in weekend so.....................
Old March 13, 2007, 03:47 PM
ODI Cricketer

There are market mechanisms through which this crisis could have been solved.
Command and control in the long run will be extremeley ineeficient and will lead us nowhere.
Old March 15, 2007, 01:43 AM
Cricket Legend

As a short term solution this is okay but on the long run this is not going to bring much of a positive effect for the country's economy. Most working people return home at around 6-7pm back home due to heavy traffic, after that they usually go out to get some shopping done with family. This rule will hamper the sale in many of the shopping centeres, ultimately increasing the price of products which will affect the general buyers.

The government must concentrate on system loss as well as attracting investment from the private sector in generating electricity. Bangladesh would need few billion dollar of investment in order to have enough supply..
Old March 15, 2007, 07:06 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtiaz82
As a short term solution this is okay but on the long run this is not going to bring much of a positive effect for the country's economy. Most working people return home at around 6-7pm back home due to heavy traffic, after that they usually go out to get some shopping done with family. This rule will hamper the sale in many of the shopping centeres, ultimately increasing the price of products which will affect the general buyers.

The government must concentrate on system loss as well as attracting investment from the private sector in generating electricity. Bangladesh would need few billion dollar of investment in order to have enough supply..
The problem should be tackled from both the demand and supply side.
Consumers in bangladesh waste electricity, inspite of the shortage in supply.
We need real time pricing or some sort of a off peak, peak pricing. People will change their behaviour based on different pricing. There is much to be learned from the electricity crisis in california in the late 90's.