facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 30, 2009, 11:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Overkill...

Please leave Shakib alone. Can you please concentrate on your BigZ and Alok (now he is back)? Please do Shakib a favour!!
Got to vote yes to Miraz on this.

Old July 30, 2009, 11:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradnyc
Ash came in an era when he didn't get any guidance.
Shakib came in an era when he got everything that helped him becoming a good cricketer.

Ash didn't get what Shakib and co got. Shakib ra valo valo coach er under e chilo. valo kichu shikhse.

Ash o rokom kisui e paini. tarpore BCB o kono help kore nai taake.. They are the one to be blamed for his misery!!

Sudhu 8 years dhore shei kheltese ar kisui shikhenai eta thik na..

Shakib r tar sathe kono comparison chole na. Both came in different time. One came in after learning all the basics and other came in without any. And came in an era when our team just started playing international cricket.
go and ask Mohammad Rafique.
Old July 30, 2009, 11:53 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Dear Murad,

Nobody can deny Mo's talent. Except when facing well scripted quality googlies from Kumble and Chawla, I don't recall seeing him in the sort of trouble he's not capable of overcoming. With some unplayable deliveries down the corridor of uncertainty being other exceptions, he seems to have more time than anyone else in the middle because of his natural ability to sight the ball early. We've seen him do that also against quality pace when he comes in as a virtual opener.

Application, temperament, bad attitude, lack of cricketing intelligence, and of course inexplicably weird things constantly playing in his head remain the issue as a whole. His success to failure ratio, not just in the patches posted here, and the suicidal nature of most of his dismissals saturate that fact throughout his numbers. He is RELIED upon as the premier batter of his side. So when he succumbs to a self induced failure, he takes the whole team down with him.That's why he hasn't had too many sustainable good patches expressing themselves in better numbers. That's why people not as good as he is can take his place with better consistency, even though they may never match one of his performances at his rare best. The same can be said for other potentially great young players in and out of our side at this moment.

Why? At the end of the day, with his kind of extensive experience, he has to take responsibility for his own actions as we all must. Luckily he still has age on his side but not much else. I just hope he performs as well in ODIs as he his now, when he's NOT under pressure.

Having said all that, of course I never wish him to fail. I desperately want him to get those 100s when he seems destined to get it, it won't always be easy as there would be genuinely difficult patches, unless a good delivery sees him out. It would be so much better for him and his team if he loses focus after reaching that landmark, for now. In the meantime, I'm glad that he's getting these 50s. ...

I just don't ride the emotional roller coaster over his performances anymore, having my heart broken and depth pushed to the brink one too many times.

Peace~
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; July 31, 2009 at 01:28 AM..
Old July 31, 2009, 12:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Default Mushfiqur Rahim, Batsman

Quote:
31 test innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 test innings: 13.8 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 7.3 runs

NOW

> Average score in last 10 test innings: 33.9 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 33.8 runs

IMPROVEMENT/DECLINE

> Average score: +20.1 runs or 145.7.5%

> Filtered average score: +26.5 runs or 365.5%

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 12.9%
> Failure, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 58.1%*

*Here I've given him credit for his 2 not outs from 0-19 because he bats so far down the order.

42 ODI innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 ODI innings: 21.5 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 19.8 runs

NOW

> Average score in last 10 ODI innings: 10.5 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 9.3 runs

IMPROVEMENT/DECLINE, ODIs

> Average score: (-) 11.0 runs or (-) 51.2%

> Filtered average score: (-) 10.5 runs or (-) 53.0%

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 4.8%
> Failure, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 57.1%*

*Here I've given him credit for his 5 not outs from 0-19 because he bats so far down the order.
GoBoy is one of my favorites with the bat and least favorites behind the stumps. Fabulous improvement in tests where he bats under less pressure but to a tougher field. Not so in limited overs where his going through a horrible patch. Batting that far down in the order with overs running out, he is forced to play hasty shots and terrible results. He needs to be moved up the order to take some of that pressure off.

Interestingly enough, more often than not Riyad, Nayeem, Dhiman and Farhad Reza are perceived to respond better under similarly pressured circumstances. They tend to take their time settling in before beautifully executing those valuable 4s and 6s. On a side note, the sooner someone like Aftab Ahmed learns that trick, the faster he can be as useful down the order.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; August 2, 2009 at 08:20 AM..
Old July 31, 2009, 12:27 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin
Murad - blame everything for Asharful's bad performances, except himself What kind of guidance did HB & co receive ? For that matter, what exactly has Ashraful learned in his nine years of international cricket ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_dorshok
go and ask Mohammad Rafique.
At what age they started their international career? How old they were when we started playing Test cricket? Were they like 16 yrs old like Ashraful?
Old July 31, 2009, 12:27 AM
Cricket Legend

How about I argue something more relevant.

Last 2 innings, Shakib and Ashraful both delivered good innings, often in partnership with each other, that led to two solid wins for the Mighty Bangadesh Tigers.

I hope to see many more solid innings by them seperately, and together, that lead to many more wins for the Mighty Bangadesh Tigers.

Ian Whitchurch, who likes Sakib and Ash just fine
Old July 31, 2009, 12:40 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Dear Murad,

Nobody can deny Mo's talent. Except when facing well scripted quality googlies from Kumble and Chawla, I don't recall seeing him in the sort of trouble he's not capable of overcoming. With some unplayable deliveries down the corridor of uncertainty being other exceptions, he seems to have more time than anyone else in the middle because of his natural ability to sight the ball early. We've seen him do that also against quality pace when he comes in as a virtual opener.

Application, temperament, bad attitude, lack of cricketing intelligence, and of course inexplicably weird things constantly playing in his head remain the issue. His success to failure ratio, not just in the patches posted here, and the suicidal nature of most of his dismissals saturate that fact throughout his numbers. He is RELIED upon as the premier batter of his side. So when he succumbs to a self induced failure, he takes the whole team down with him.That's why he hasn't had too many sustainable good patches expressing themselves in better numbers. That's why people not as good as he is can take his place with better consistency, even though they may never match one of his performances at his rare best. The same can be said for other potentially great young players in and out of our side at this moment.

Why? At the end of the day, with his kind of extensive experience, he has to take responsibility for his own actions as we all must. Luckily he still has age on his side but not much else. I just hope he performs as well in ODIs as he his now, when he's NOT under pressure.

Having said all that, of course I never wish him to fail. I desperately want him to get those 100s when he seems destined to get it, it won't always be easy as there would be genuinely difficult patches, unless a good delivery sees him out. It would be so much better for him and his team if he loses focus after reaching that landmark, for now. In the meantime, I'm glad that he's getting these 50s. ...

I just don't ride the emotional roller coaster over his performances anymore, having my heart broken and depth pushed to the brink one too many times.

Peace~
Nice post Sohel bhai.
I didn't disagree with you in the first place. I was just saying both these players came in different eras of our cricket. Players coming in now have better knowledge on cricket than the ones came before.

Ashraful's fault was that he started cricket before learning his basics. He was just a KG student when BCB promoted him to class 10.

When Ash and other young players came in, they didn't have a single good coach to teach them what is wrong and what is right. They didn't have anyone to ask for help when needed. BCB didn't help them either. They didn't provide them a batting coach.

Nowadays, all the young players coming through different levels and working under different coaches. They are getting good guidances and gettign all the facilities that the oldies didn't get.

I know he's been playing cricket for 8 years but as we all know international cricket is not the place to learn your basics. Without the basics, nobody can go further. Its BCB's fault that they kept playing him day after day even though he's been failing. THey should have provided him a good batting coach to work with as he had everything to become a great. It's not always the player's fault when he is failing. The board has to take the blame too.

janina kisu bujhaite parsi na..

tobu o onek kosto kore amar bok-bokani porar jonne thanks..
Old July 31, 2009, 12:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Default Mohammad Raquibul Hasan, Batsman

Quote:
JUST 10 test innings, looking forward to 10 more for comparison:

NOW

> Average score in first 10 test innings: 22.9 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 20.5 runs

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 10.0%
> Failure, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 60.0%
Not the sort of start you'd expect from someone perhaps prematurely tagged as a "consolidator/accumulator" and batting at number 4! But not as bad as many. His immensely valuable totals in the recently concluded second test were nevertheless streaky enough to further negate that idea. Unlike Shakib Al Hasan, he does not have the incredible hand-eye coordination to bail him out over and over again. He needs to stay focused in the V, play with a straight bat, and don't drive balls straight to fielders.

Sadly, by the time he sights the ball, it's simply too late for him guide it through the gap. As long as that continues to happen, he won't be able to rotate the strike as much he needs to, creating pressure upon himself in the process, and trying to let loose with some fugly, looser shots. Not smart in test cricket where it is harder to get away with poorly executed bad shots. When quality bowlers, in his position some pacers as well, are bowling to a filed without field restrictions, your limitations will get you out.

He can be moved further down the order in hopes of more sober performances in his next 10 test innings. That said, more talented batters, the ones with better ability to sight the ball, can easily take his place with consistent performances in the NCL and then A Team cricket. Nafis Iqbal, Shahriar Nafees, and Alok Kapali all have a chance as long as they perform their way back to the side that, and in my humble opinion, ONLY that way. Tough task ahead for Nirala.

Quote:
24 ODI innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 ODI innings: 32.1 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 28.8 runs

NOW

> Average score in last 10 ODI innings: 19.9 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 18.4 runs

> Average score: (-) 12.2 runs or (-) 38.0%

> Filtered average score: (-) 10.4 runs or (-) 36.2%

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 20.8%
> Failure, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 54.2%
The good start explains the enthusiasm and high expectations. The current patch his current response to all that.

Last edited by Sohel; August 2, 2009 at 08:22 AM..
Old July 31, 2009, 01:13 AM
Cricket Savant

Default Tamim Iqbal Khan, Batsman

Quote:
22 test innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 test innings: 25.2 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 21.0 runs

NOW

> Average score in last 10 test innings: 32.9 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 25.1 runs

IMPROVEMENT/DECLINE

> Average score: +7.7 runs or 30.6%

> Filtered average score: +4.1 runs or 19.2%

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 13.6%
> Failure, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 54.6%

55 ODI innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 ODI innings: 18.5 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 16.6 runs

NOW

> Average score in last 10 ODI innings: 20.2 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 20.1 runs

> Average score: +1.7 runs or 9.2%

> Filtered average score: +3.5 runs or 21.1%

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 16.4%
> Failure, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 49.1%
Tamim in my opinion is the most talented batsman we have produced to date, alongside Shakib, in terms of pure hand-eye coordination. He has also, comparatively speaking, shown the ability to learn. Sadly, he has only two modes of play he enjoys at this young age. The "Gangstah" mode when he charges down the pitch, looking imperious when he connects and like a fool when he misses, or the "Passive" mode before donning his colors again with disappointing results.

On rare occasions when he does neither, meaning he rotates the strike and tries to play each ball according to its merit rather than looking for big hits all the time, he gets closer to what he can be. The sooner he realizes that he's likely to get more boundaries by being patient that way, the sooner his rate of improvement will get the boost we all wish to see, Tamim most of all.

Last edited by Sohel; August 2, 2009 at 08:25 AM..
Old July 31, 2009, 01:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanW
How about I argue something more relevant.

Last 2 innings, Shakib and Ashraful both delivered good innings, often in partnership with each other, that led to two solid wins for the Mighty Bangadesh Tigers.

I hope to see many more solid innings by them seperately, and together, that lead to many more wins for the Mighty Bangadesh Tigers.
No argument there Ian ...
Old July 31, 2009, 01:17 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
tobu o onek kosto kore amar bok-bokani porar jonne thanks..
I'm fond of your "bokbokani" and more than that, you love of the game ...
Old July 31, 2009, 02:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Default Frame of Reference: Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene, Batsmen

Kumar Chokshanada Sangakkara is 31, well within his peak years from 27-35. By his own admission, he is "close to just good in test cricket" with his 19 centuries, "still" one short of his standard. 6 of those centuries were double-hundreds with two not outs, and he was out at 192 and 185 and denied two more. He also as three 150+ scores with two of those not out. In ODIs, with "just" 10 centuries, he considers himself just a little better than OK.

His average has improved but his consistency even more.

Quote:
138 test innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 test innings: 22.0 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 17.9 runs

NOW

> Average score in last 10 test innings: 62.4 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 60.6 runs

IMPROVEMENT/DECLINE

> Average score: +40.4 runs or 183.6%

> Filtered average score: +42.7 runs or 238.6%

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 29.0%
> Failure BY BD STANDARDS, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 36.2%

230 ODI innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 ODI innings: 28.7 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 25.0 runs

NOW

> Average score in last 10 ODI innings: 48.1 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 49.1 runs

> Average score: +19.4 runs or 67.6%

> Filtered average score: +24.1 runs or 96.4%

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 25.2%
> Failure BY BD STANDARDS, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 37.0%
Do I need to do Mahela after this to make some other points? OK.

Denagamage Proboth Mahela de Silva Jayawardene is 32. He's is going through a bad patch. A very good test batsman boasting a regular, not simplified Sohelian average of 52.6 with 25 centuries (1-300, 4-200s, 1-195, 6-150s) and 33 fifties (3-90s), he was considered overrated by a widely respected, highly educated and totally "megalomaniacal" Bangladeshi cricket Guru/Know-it-all when we discussed him back in 2002. A former club cricketer with serious connections to BCB, the oddly superstitious but typically vain Guru/Know-it-all, an unpleasant man who also enjoys feeding his ill-concealed low self-esteem by belittling others, wrote him off because "if a player can't deliver by now (Mahela was 25 at the time), he never will. He has had too many chances already."

Mahela had a bad start to his ODI career and the Guru/Know-it-all was especially harsh on him in light of his performances there. Now with an ODI average of 32.4 with 10 hundreds and 49 fifties, he may not be the greatest but definitely useful. A Bangladeshi batter could "use" those stats, won't you say?

Anyway, the crypto-Fascist Guru lives in Western Canada now, plotting a future career in BNP politics. One of us won't be alive if he gets back under Pinu and Koko's skirts somehow.

Please don't write our off young players, especially those with real ability, so easily. Educate yourself as to what "real ability" is, be patient, and try your level best to set them up for success. Get therapy and meds if you cannot. These young Tigers are OURS after all ...

Quote:
173 test innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 test innings: 64.0 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 48.8 runs

NOW

> Average score in last 10 test innings: 48.1 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 30.1 runs

IMPROVEMENT/DECLINE

> Average score: (-) 15.9 runs or (-) 24.8%

> Filtered average score: (-) 18.8 runs or (-) 38.5%

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 33.5%
> Failure BY BD STANDARDS, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 38.2%

281 ODI innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 ODI innings: 12.2 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 6.0 runs

NOW

> Average score in last 10 ODI innings: 19.8 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 18.3 runs

> Average score: +7.6 runs or 62.3%

> Filtered average score: +12.3 runs or 205.0%

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 24.6%
> Failure BY BD STANDARDS, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 43.8%

Last edited by Sohel; August 2, 2009 at 08:30 AM..
Old July 31, 2009, 02:35 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Kumar Chokshanada Sangakkara is 31, well within his peak years from 27-35. By his own admission, he is "close to just good in test cricket" with his 19 centuries, "still" one short of his standard. 2 of those centuries were double-hundreds with two not outs, and he was out at 192 and 185 and denied two more. He also as three 150+ scores with two of those not out. In ODIs, with "just" 10 centuries, he considers himself just a little better than OK.

His average has improved but his consistency even more.

Do I need to do Mahela after this?
Sohel bhai, he has 4/5 double centuries. 2 against us. I think he made a record when he scored his 2nd double century against us in 2007.
Old July 31, 2009, 02:39 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Sohel bhai, he has 4/5 double centuries. 2 against us. I think he made a record when he scored his 2nd double century against us in 2007.
Its 6 to be exact!

Innings by innings list
23048032733370.333caught2v PakistanLahore6 Mar 2002Test # 1592
27046836536273.973caught2v ZimbabweBulawayo14 May 2004Test # 1699
23252935731164.983caught1v South AfricaColombo (SSC)11 Aug 2004Test # 1710
28767545735062.803caught2v South AfricaColombo (SSC)27 Jul 2006Test # 1810
200*47032520261.533not out2v BangladeshColombo (PSS)3 Jul 2007Test # 1838
222*39627728080.143not out2v BangladeshKandy11 Jul 2007Test # 1839

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/...g;view=innings
Old July 31, 2009, 03:22 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Right, that was a typo. Editing in more stuff ...
Old July 31, 2009, 04:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokai
Why don't you compare Alfaz vs Tendulkar?

or

Lara vs Kapali?

They are as big as contrasts as ash and shakib. they are two completely different type.

take them for what they are, and yeah, leave ash alone.
what contrast do they have when ash holds that goddamn stick on his hand does the rules of the game change? like when he hits does it count 3? The stats clearly show HE AINT PERFORMING CONSISTENTLY and we need to give chance to reserve else ppl will adopt to lazy culture..... Against quality opposition ash does more matches bad than good he needs to let go and get his form in domestic cricket.
Old July 31, 2009, 05:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Psst, Crickey.

Ash just got good fifties in two games against the Windies, and we won both of them.

How about we compromise and agree that as long as he's hitting fifties and we're winning games, then he keeps his spot and Sakib stays captain ?
Old August 1, 2009, 07:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Default Junaid Siddique, Batsman

Quote:
23 test innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 test innings: 18.6 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 14.0 runs

NOW

> Average score in last 10 test innings: 29.8 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 27.0 runs

IMPROVEMENT/DECLINE

> Average score: +11.2 runs or 60.2%

> Filtered average score: +13.0 runs or 92.9%

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 17.4%
> Failure, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 60.9%

20 ODI innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 ODI innings: 17.9 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 11.8 runs

NOW

> Average score in last 10 ODI innings: 16.8 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 14.1 runs

> Average score: (-) 1.1 runs or (-) 6.2%

> Filtered average score: +2.3 runs or 19.3%

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 25.0%
> Failure, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 65.0%
Junaid Siddique's unimpressive start can be attributed to shoddy technique rather than natural ability. While there has been visible improvement with regards to his temperament in the test format, and playing with a straighter bat, his issues contribute to his success to failure ratio.

Playing on zombie pitches in Bangladesh, Siddique developed bad habits he could get away with, at least more often, in domestic cricket. He commits his front foot too early and puts himself in awkward positions, especially on better pitches facing quality bowlers. Losing sight of his off stump followed by edges straight to the slip cordon is one example. Then there is the mistimed pull shot, or the lofted on/off drive with too much bottom hand resulting in dismissals typical of the young man.

Personally, I've noticed these things for 4 years now with no improvement in sight. What gives? Perhaps no other batsman would benefit more from better domestic pitches in Bangladesh, pitches where quicker deliveries come on to the bat faster, but until that happens, he better do something to rectify this dangerous technical flaw we can ill afford from our opening or number three batsman. Until and unless he does ASAP, he'll be nothing more than a walking wicket who gets lucky from time to time.

Last edited by Sohel; August 2, 2009 at 08:33 AM..
Old August 1, 2009, 09:04 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Good take on Junaed.
Quote:
Playing on zombie pitches in Bangladesh, [any name] developed bad habits he could get away with, at least more often, in domestic cricket. He commits his front foot too early and puts himself in awkward positions, especially on better pitches facing quality bowlers. Losing sight of his off stump followed by edges straight to the slip cordon is one example. Then there is the mistimed pull shot, or the lofted on/off drive with too much bottom hand resulting in dismissals typical of the young man.
Most of the players we have seen have the same problems. He is just one of them. My 2 cents.
Old August 1, 2009, 10:12 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Most of the players we have seen have the same problems. He is just one of them. My 2 cents.
True, but not many have his natural hand-eye coordination, something that adds to my frustrations. In fact, I cannot think of any other than Tamim, Shakib, Aftab, and Mo. Opi and Rokon came close before the ones I've mentioned ...
Old August 2, 2009, 03:06 AM
ODI Cricketer

Sohel vai,
can you do one for Habibul Basher - so that we could get rid or establish that Ash lacked guidence or came
in completly different era than Sakib. If I remember correctly none of young cubs still crossed HB's eventual average (not his peak) or his innings to 50 ratio
Old August 2, 2009, 03:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Two different types of batter. Not possible to compare with statistics.
Old August 2, 2009, 04:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imteaz
Two different types of batter. Not possible to compare with statistics.
Exactly what I wanted to write.

They also contribute in different ways, we need that diversity.
Old August 2, 2009, 05:26 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody
Sohel vai,
can you do one for Habibul Basher - so that we could get rid or establish that Ash lacked guidence or came
in completly different era than Sakib. If I remember correctly none of young cubs still crossed HB's eventual average (not his peak) or his innings to 50 ratio
Sure. Here it is bro:

Quote:
Qazi Habibul Bashar

99 test innings:

THE BEGINNING

> Average score in first 10 test innings: 35.6 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 35.0 runs

Good start, consistent scorer when there was nobody else, pretty much.

THE END

> Average score in last 10 test innings: 12.2 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 12.1 runs

Clearly lost it but as "consistent" as ever.

DECLINE

> Average score: (-) 23.3 runs or (-) 65.5%

> Filtered average score: (-) 22.9 runs or (-) 65.4%

CAREER SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 27.3%
> Failure, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 45.5%

105 ODI innings:

THE BEGINNING

> Average score in first 10 ODI innings: 13.8 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 8.5 runs

Not a good start for a batsman.

THE END

> Average score in last 10 ODI innings: 14.8 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 13.1 runs

Similar numbers at the end.

IMPROVEMENT

> Average score: +1 run or 7.3%

> Filtered average score: +4.6 runs or 54.1%

Improved "consistency"

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 13.3%
> Failure, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 55.2%

Last edited by Sohel; August 2, 2009 at 06:07 AM..
Old August 2, 2009, 06:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Default Alok Kapali, Batsman

Quote:
34 test innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 test innings: 29.7 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 26.5 runs

Decent start, "good" by BD standards. Raised expectations.

NOW (Last test in 2006)

> Average score in last 10 test innings: 12.4 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 test innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 12.0 runs

Clearly lost it and more "consistent" with his failures. More than justified exclusion.

DECLINE

> Average score: (-) 17.3 runs or (-) 58.3%

> Filtered average score: (-) 14.5 runs or (-) 54.7%

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 5.9%
> Failure, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 67.7%

62 ODI innings:

THEN

> Average score in first 10 ODI innings: 13.9 runs

> Filtered average score in first 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 11.75 runs

Not a good start for a batsman.

NOW

> Average score in last 10 ODI innings: 20.6 runs

> Filtered average score in last 10 ODI innings, after dropping highest and lowest scores to better determine consistency, divided by 8: 11.4 runs

The 115 drove his numbers up, but other than that, he was actually less consistent.

IMPROVEMENT/DECLINE

> Average score: +6.7 runs or 48.2%

> Filtered average score: (-) .4 runs or (-) 3.4%

No comment.

SUCCESS/FAILURE %

> Success, 50+ scores divided by innings played: 9.7%
> Failure, 0-19 scores divided by innings played: 66.1%
Alok did very well in the NCL since 2006 and changed his grip among others things. Sadly, there's a huge qualitative discrepancy between domestic FC/List A and the highest level, and without the necessary A Team tours to try and mitigate some of the difference, he failed to perform consistently again once reselected for the ODI squad. Take out the highest 115 and lowest , one of his 2 BTW, and that becomes clear.

International cricket is not jamai ador and you have to take whatever opportunity you have with both hands. He failed to do that in ODIs in terms of consistency. A patch of 10 matches is enough time for any cricketer to show something.

Until and unless he has back to back stellar seasons in the NCL supplemented by successful A Team tours, I don't see how he could be selected again for either the ODI or the test side. Then again you never know with our whimsical selectors.

Also, both Riyad and Nayeem are doing well, and ESPECIALLY genuinely talented and hardworking Nayeem can be nudged up the order alongside GoBoy. Riyad needs to get singles from the off side also in order to keep pressure off of himself, and find his groove. It may be too early to say this, but I'd rather go with those three than Alok at this point.

There is no doubt about Alok's talent but talent without application is a geriatric shark without teeth. We neither have the luxury nor the necessity to gamble at this crucial juncture.

Raqibul is not a number 4, especially without his V game and with his painfully exposed limitations, and we all know about Mo. Junaid cannot seem to get rid his bad habits, and Imrul declined steadily after the first innings of the first test in West Indies. So the opportunity exists for others out of the team. But how likely are they to succeed in International cricket without consistent performances in the NCL AND the A Team?

Last edited by Sohel; August 2, 2009 at 07:45 AM..