facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 28, 2012, 08:38 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo
BDFlag ODI Performance of Bangladesh, New Zealand and West Indies this decade

Team

Total Matches

Won

Lost

W %

TM v G8

Won

Lost

W %

TM v non G8

Won

Lost

W %

Bangladesh

New Zealand

West Indies

Since the start of the decade Bangladesh has played more games than New Zealand or West Indies. They have won overall 1 less game than both of them but lost a few more. Their win percentage isn’t that different from either team.

What I noticed after the Asia Cup is that Bangladesh has won more matches against the top 8 teams (9) than New Zealand or West Indies (7 each). Our win percentage against the top 8 teams has been better than West Indies and marginally lower than New Zealand.

Bangladesh won 2 against England, 1 against India, 4 against New Zealand, 1 against Sri Lanka and 1 against West Indies. New Zealand won 2 against Australia, 1 against India, 3 against Pakistan and 1 against South Africa. West Indies won 2 against Australia, 3 against India and 2 against Pakistan.

It is against lower ranked opposition that Bangladesh has been disappointing against. Bangladesh have won a total of 8 matches out of 14 against lower ranked opposition. Yet West Indies have been ruthless, winning 11 out of 13. New Zealand has done well too, barring that famous series in Bangladesh, have won 11 out of 16 matches.

In total Bangladesh lost 4 matches against Zimbabwe and 1 each against Ireland and Netherlands. New Zealand lost 4 against Bangladesh and 1 against Zimbabwe. West Indies lost 1 against Bangladesh and 1 against Zimbabwe. Neither New Zealand or West Indies lost matches against associate teams, Bangladesh lost 2.

At present both New Zealand and West Indies have 86 points and Bangladesh have 67. If Bangladesh won all the matches against lower ranked opposition I reckon Bangladesh would have around 75 points, which isn’t too far from them. If Bangladesh is serious about becoming a top 8 team then it has to be ruthless against lower ranked teams.

Bangladesh has more players score over 1,000 runs than New Zealand or West Indies. The 4 players are: Shakib al Hasan, Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Kayes and Mushfiqur Rahim, New Zealand have 3 players they are: Martin Guptill, Ross Taylor and Brendon McCullum. West Indies have 1 player and surprisingly it is Kieron Pollard who normally bats at No. 6.

Bangladesh also has more bowlers take 50 wickets than New Zealand or West Indies. The 3 Bangladesh players are: Shakib al Hasan, Abdur Razzak and Shafiul Islam.West Indies have 1 player which is Kemar Roach, but New Zealand don't have any.

The main reason I decided to do this was to highlight the fact that Bangladesh beat more top 8 teams this decade than New Zealand and West Indies so we have something to be positive about despite losing the final.

I will try and update the table in the coming months and years.

Last edited by Tiger Manc; April 2, 2012 at 05:12 AM..

Old March 28, 2012, 08:44 AM

Is it just me or does the table look messed up?

I had real trouble uploading the table on here. Could you tell me the best way to upload tables from Excel?
Old March 28, 2012, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

FP stuff. Maybe brush it up a bit so we can publish? Decade => since mid 2002?
Old March 28, 2012, 09:03 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

^^^ 2010 to present, he is talking about present decade

good stats but weve got to improve. WI seems to be doing fairly well and NZ seems to be going down and down, they lost the series against us in 2010. Might as well call them to play in our home but hopefully theyll invite us to play over there
Old March 28, 2012, 09:20 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

FP material indeed.
The graph at the top needs to be fixed. Looks a bit messed up.

Good analysis too, pointing out few crucial things esp win/loss against the associates.
Our inexperience at overseas gets exposed really. We find it hard to win even against the lower ranked associated as most of those lost matches were played in their home condition I'd think.

Same reason we are winning more against the G8.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 28, 2012, 09:34 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Good analysis. By this decade, what years are covered?
Old March 28, 2012, 09:41 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

^^ I think he meant 2010,11 and 12 so far.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 28, 2012, 09:54 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
^^ I think he meant 2010,11 and 12 so far.
Ok thanks. Wow we played 50+ matches in these 3 years. Maybe it was the WC and few series with Zim.

Yes, things have started to look positive for us from 2010. We beat Zim convincingly quiet a few times and had Banglawash along with few other big scalps. It was that 58 and 78 that put a huge dent in those progress. Otherwise our performance indicates a healthy improvement curve.
Old March 28, 2012, 10:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

Very very interesting stats these...
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]
Old March 28, 2012, 10:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Not bad at all - and yet Bangladesh gets a lot of unfair criticism - as opposed to NZ and WI who seems immune to criticism compared to BD. You guys haven't been that bad past decade, the improvement is there to see - it's just that it has been fairly slow, but there is no denying that there has been progress.
Old March 28, 2012, 11:50 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Good stuff bro, only one small criticism:

Remember, for Bangladesh(us) it is G8...however, for New Zealand and West Indies it is G7(since Bangladesh is not included in that list yet...)
Old March 28, 2012, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
Is it just me or does the table look messed up?

I had real trouble uploading the table on here. Could you tell me the best way to upload tables from Excel?
Fixed the format, just tweaked the html a bit. A direct copy/paste from Excel might not always work.

Last edited by AsifTheManRahman; March 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM..
Old March 28, 2012, 12:32 PM
Cricket Legend

What do you mean this decade? In the last 10 Years here is the W/L Ratio of the three against all nations:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...ults;type=team
and here is the last 10 years for the three playing each other

And here are the w/l's for the three playing against G8 last 10 years

I don't understand your criterion for your table. Clearly it is not for 10 years.
Old March 28, 2012, 12:35 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

^^

He said about this decade, the 202nd decade, he didnt tell anything about last 10 years
Old March 28, 2012, 12:41 PM
Cricket Legend

And if you are looking at G8 (incl BD, excl Zim) for the three teams since Jan 1st 2010 here is the w/l

It does not agree with the top table you have.

And if you are looking for all matches played with all nations for the three of interest since 1/1/10

Old March 28, 2012, 12:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker
^^

He said about this decade, the 202nd decade, he didnt tell anything about last 10 years
To which I posted above, still does not jive with me. Am I missing something?
Old March 28, 2012, 12:48 PM
Cricket Legend

In the table, 17/34 is 50% w/l, not 33% for BD 2nd row column 4
same goes for the rest...

I believe.
Old March 28, 2012, 01:37 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Problem is not with our odi..its with our test...unless we at least start to draw tests WI and NZ will always be front of us..ODI performances wont be counted by the people who call us minnows..many people thinks we are already a decent odi side but call us minnows because of tests
Old April 2, 2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
Good stuff bro, only one small criticism:

Remember, for Bangladesh(us) it is G8...however, for New Zealand and West Indies it is G7(since Bangladesh is not included in that list yet...)
Okay. What is your point though?

If you're referring to the column heading, at present New Zealand is ranked above West Indies, so I couldn't change it to 'higher ranked opposition' because for New Zealand that would exclude West Indies.
Old April 2, 2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Fixed the format, just tweaked the html a bit. A direct copy/paste from Excel might not always work.
Thankyou.
Old April 2, 2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
In the table, 17/34 is 50% w/l, not 33% for BD 2nd row column 4
same goes for the rest...

I believe.
My bad. Winning percentage is what I meant, not win loss ratio. The calculations are correct. It doesn't really matter which one you use, as either way it portrays the same picture.
Old April 2, 2012, 05:15 AM

The thread title clearly states this decade. As playmaker bhai mentioned, this decade started from January 1st 2010.
Old April 2, 2012, 05:17 AM

Is there a tool available online where you can calculate ranking points if a team won a match instead of losing it and vice versa? That would be of great help as then I could write exactly how many points Bangladesh could've had.
Old April 3, 2012, 05:55 AM

Team
Total Matches
Won
Lost
W %
TM v G8
Won
Lost
W %
TM v non G8
Won
Lost
W %
Bangladesh
New Zealand
West Indies

Since the start of the decade Bangladesh has won more matches against the top 8 teams (9) than New Zealand or West Indies (7 each). Bangladesh’s winning percentage against the top 8 teams has been better than West Indies and marginally lower than New Zealand. Bangladesh won 4 against New Zealand, 2 against England, and 1 each against India, Sri Lanka and West Indies.

It is against lower ranked opposition that Bangladesh has been disappointing against. Bangladesh has won a total of 8 matches out of 14 against lower ranked opposition, yet West Indies have been ruthless, winning 11 out of 13. New Zealand have done well too, barring that famous series in Bangladesh, have won 11 out of 16 matches. In total Bangladesh lost 4 matches against Zimbabwe and 1 each against Ireland and Netherlands.

Perhaps one of the reasons for Bangladesh’s success is that they have been able to keep a core nucleus of players for most of their matches which has given the team stability and allowed the team to develop and improve as a unit. 7 Bangladesh players have played over 80% of their matches this decade with Shakib al Hasan playing every single one. In comparison New Zealand have only 3 players whilst West Indies have 2.

This has resulted in 4 Bangladesh players surpassing 1,000 runs, compared to New Zealand’s 3 and West Indies’ 1. Also Bangladesh is one of 3 countries to have 3 players take more than 50 wickets, the others being Australia and Pakistan. West Indies have 1 whilst New Zealand doesn’t have any. Interestingly, India despite playing a considerable amount of matches, only have 1 player.

Team
Bangladesh
played
won
lost
w%
overall home record
overall away record
home record v G8
away record v G8
home record v non-G8
away record v non G8
West Indies
played
won
lost
w%
overall home record
overall away record
home record v G8
away record v G8
home record v non-G8
away record v non G8
New Zealand
played
won
lost
w%
overall home record
overall away record
home record v G8
away record v G8
home record v non-G8
away record v non G8

When looking at the breakdown of the stats, Bangladesh’s performance isn’t too far behind New Zealand or West Indies. Their home form has improved, they have actually beaten twice as many top 8 teams at home than New Zealand. They have a marginally lower winning percentage at home against the top 8 teams than New Zealand or West Indies. Their away form against the top 8 teams has been poor, their solitary win from 9 outings coming against England in Bristol. West Indies’ away form is even worse, winning once out of 15 attempts; even Ireland has a better winning percentage. New Zealand’s form is slightly better, winning 3 out of 13 matches although unlike the other two, New Zealand are yet to beat a team in their own backyard.

All 3 teams have high winning percentages against lower ranked teams at home, with Bangladesh and West Indies losing just a single match. It is away from home that there is a big difference between the 3 teams. West Indies have shown their superiority by winning 5 out of 6 matches they’ve played. In contrast New Zealand have only won half of their matches, with the famous ‘Banglawash’ series contributing significantly to that. Bangladesh’s away form has been shocking, actually losing more matches than they have won, including humiliating defeats to Ireland and Netherlands. Neither New Zealand or West Indies lost matches against associate teams, Bangladesh lost 2.

New Zealand fans may argue that the stats are skewed in favour of Bangladesh. The cynics will point out that Bangladesh (51) and West Indies (50) have played more matches than them (43) and that 67% of Bangladesh’s matches have been played at home compared to West Indies (54%) and New Zealand (44%).

At present both New Zealand and West Indies have 86 points and Bangladesh have 67 points. If Bangladesh had won all their matches against lower ranked opposition and they beat Zimbabwe 3-0 in the away series in August coupled with West Indies losing their ODI away series with England 3-0 than Bangladesh would have surpassed the West Indies in the ODI rankings.

After the disappointment of losing the Asia Cup final, Bangladesh fans can take solace from the fact they have beaten more top 8 teams this decade than New Zealand or West Indies. And as the stats show, Bangladesh’s first step in moving up the ODI rankings isn’t beating top 8 teams more frequently; rather it is beating lower ranked opposition more convincingly. With Bangladesh’s next assignment away to Zimbabwe, that would provide a yardstick to assess whether Bangladesh is serious about becoming a top 8 team or whether the Asia Cup was just another flash in the pan series.
Old April 3, 2012, 06:55 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Nicely done. Thanks