facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 10, 2014, 07:06 AM
Cricket Savant

17/1

bujlam na ajke Hiri Hiri ettow kharap khellow kano

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles

Old February 10, 2014, 07:51 AM
Cricket Savant

Match over, PNG 116

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 10, 2014, 09:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Acceptable performance by our teenagers.

Lets see what happens in the main round

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old February 10, 2014, 09:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
After the loss to Sri Lanka during the Asia Cup, the BCB replaced the entire training team. That's why you don't have Richard with the boys. He is sitting this one out back in Dhaka.
Well, thats VERY reassuring to know. Isn´t it just?! So, the boys are without their coach at the World Cup.

Way to go BCB!!!
Old February 10, 2014, 10:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Funny that they have only two regular pacers (both lefties) in the squad. What happens if one of them get injured or flops? Where is Rifat Pradhan or Taskin?

I know its Dubai but still just two pacers??
Old February 10, 2014, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Well, thats VERY reassuring to know. Isn´t it just?! So, the boys are without their coach at the World Cup.

Way to go BCB!!!
I'm sure they are not coachless. It's just not the set who were with them prior to this tournament.
Old February 10, 2014, 10:54 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

Did Bangladesh under 19 team won their first match?? I just learnt that there was a tournament.
Old February 10, 2014, 10:54 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
I'm sure they are not coachless. It's just not the set who were with them prior to this tournament.
Correct. Richard was replaced by a local coach (can't remember his name now) who is in charge for this tournament.
Old February 10, 2014, 11:01 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Let'st take a walk down memory lane. This article was written in 2006 by Rabeed Imam for the upcoming BD U19 World Cup. Few excerpts here --

Mushfiqur Rahim: a Test debut at Lord's last summer, now captain of Bangladesh Under-19s © Getty Images

Quote:
Two of Bangladesh's most exciting young prospects were watching a Dhaka Premier Division league match in progress on the eve of the tri-nation Under-19 tournament final last month, when they were asked who, in their opinion, was the best U-19 side in the world at the moment. Sakib al Hasan and Tamim Iqbal took about half-a-second each to decide and then replied almost in the same breath: "I think we are."

The next day Sakib turned in an outstanding allround show while Tamim, an opening batsman, unleashed some trademark fierce shots as their side rolled past Sri Lanka in the final at the Bangladesh Institute of Sports (BKSP).
On Tamim
Quote:
Tamim is the younger brother of the Test opener, Nafis Iqbal, and comes from a cricket-oriented family...He bats left-handed unlike the others and to put it bluntly, he is a butcher with the willow and is probably the hardest and biggest hitter of the ball in domestic cricket...The happy-go-lucky teenager also reportedly has fans in Sri Lanka where he had toured with the High Performance squad last year. To call him exciting would be an understatement.
On Shakib
Quote:
While Tamim is the crowd-puller, the undoubted star of the team is another left-hander, Sakib. I had taken Wisden's youth special, where his name featured in the elite list of 21 to shape the future of world cricket, to the ground....He took three wickets with his left-arm spin, pulled off a run-out and a catch and then strode in imperiously with Bangladesh on 51 for 1 chasing 217. In his next 86 balls, he pulled, drove, cut, swept and cleared the fielders to notch up exactly 100, never looking in any hurry and departed four runs shy of victory. The boy who nonchalantly sings to himself before going out to bat is as natural as cricketers come and apparently doesn't need reminding what is expected of him..
Mushy and rest
Quote:
Despite Tamim and Sakib's presence, what makes this unit a formidable one is its balance. The calming influence in the team's top order is provided by Raqibul Hasan and Mehrab Hossain (Jr.) while Shamsur Rahman and the captain, Mushfiqur Rahim, the only player with Test experience in the side, are there to fall back on any time. There is no real tail with a host of allrounders battling for a promotion up the order. The pace bowling department is not the team's strength but both Dollar Mahmud and the left-armer, Kamrul Islam, have the pace to hurry opposing batsmen
http://www.espncricinfo.com/u19-worl...ry/233423.html
-----------------

Tamim, Shakib, and Mushy were seen as the future stars back then. I think these 3 have not only delivered but went beyond. They are now the absolute core of the team.
Old February 10, 2014, 11:29 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

That was a wonderful walk down memory lane. Did they make the last 4? I don't seem to recall them doing so :/

Still our best u19 team till date. The part about Shakib being one of the 21 youth cricketers to shape the future of world cricket seems like a premonition!

Now Shamsur, from that u 19 team, has joined the fray.
Old February 10, 2014, 11:31 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Richard McInnes was replaced by Mizanur Rahman Babul last month.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old February 10, 2014, 12:02 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Ya what a great class that turned out to be. Tamim, Shakib, Mushy and now Shamsur. Even Raqibul was part of the team for a while even though he didn't end up in the same class as the others but is a consistent performer in domestics and is still in contention for the national team. The next class I believe churned out Rubel and Nasir, another 2 who are key contributors to the team. And now recently we got Mominul and hopefully Shabbir comes through. From the last class we still don't know how Anamul, Taskin and Soumya will turn out. Anamul hasn't been good but it's still early days for him.

From this class, it looks like Liton, Mosaddek, Shadman, And Pradhan are the ones to look out for
Old February 10, 2014, 12:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:

Thats very comforting to know...phew! I´m sure even BCB the most comonsensical of all Boards cannot make such a folly.

I must applaud their shrewd tactics of yet another ad hoc hiring of a local (makeshift) coach for a major ICC tourney just before boarding that plane. Surely, this will save them a lot of foreign currency which will -no doubt - be re-invested into the grassroot level to bring us the next World Cup trophy. A masterstroke this from BCB -no matter how much this WILL disrupt the CURRENT preparation and planning for winning the Cup. Its all about longterm visions and goals.

BTW, what are the credentials of Babul bhai? And, what Richard is up to in Dhaka?
Old February 10, 2014, 12:32 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib,Tamim,Anamul

Zim beat Aus by 3wk! We have chance against them.
Old February 10, 2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saifulsohel
Any team can beat any other team if they play better on the given day!
Old February 10, 2014, 12:55 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saifulsohel
We have a chance against them because we are a strong outfit or because they got "beaten" in a PRACTICE match?
Old February 10, 2014, 12:58 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
Any team can beat any other team if they play better on the given day!

This has a Zen like ring to it!
Old February 10, 2014, 12:59 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib,Tamim,Anamul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
We have a chance against them because we are a strong outfit or because they got "beaten" in a PRACTICE match?
conditn will be a factor.
Old February 10, 2014, 04:04 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHRAM
I always wonder how we fans talk about how talented our former U-19 teams were when those jokers would usually be the plate winner. We were 5th and 7th once but thats it.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Dude, you're assuming I picked them to be Cup winners at that level. I didn't, not as cohesive teams despite the individual talent. But as players at that level, their talent, in light of our utterly inadequate NCL set-up, is undeniable. Their U19 stats clearly attest to that fact.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old February 10, 2014, 05:02 PM
BC Editorial Team

^ If I remember correctly, the match that knocked them out of the U19 World Cup was also agonizingly close.

As the article Mufi shared earlier today mentions, Shakib's U19 team won 13 out of 16 matches leading up to the World Cup including a triangular series.
Old February 10, 2014, 06:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Miler/warner/Ryder/maxweL

Future star: mehedy hasan, mosaddek hossain, zubair ahmed, najmul hossain shanto
Old February 11, 2014, 05:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
Dude, you're assuming I picked them to be Cup winners at that level. I didn't, not as cohesive teams despite the individual talent. But as players at that level, their talent, in light of our utterly inadequate NCL set-up, is undeniable. Their U19 stats clearly attest to that fact.
As of yet we still don't know whether or not these group of players can or cannot become future stars.

We talk so highly of Tamim, Shakib and Mushy, we forget the fact that all 3 debuted at the age of 16 and Shakib was the only one who had a decent start to his career. The new group of players have to wait for a longer period of time before hitting the international arena because of the increasing competitiveness of our team. Nasir and Anamul debuted very early, but guess at what age? 19-or perhaps their actual age was more than that. Shakib/Mushy debuted at around 16/17 so from the very beginning they were exposed to the main arena. The newbies don't do justice to their talents having to play so much in NCL, which like you mention, is the worst FC tournament in the world.

With BCL being established, we can only get better. And I hope these new guns perform well.
Old February 11, 2014, 06:48 AM
BC Editorial Team

Shakib's international debut was in 2006 after his 19th birthday. (He was born in 1987) Mushy and Tamim were the really young ones.
Old February 11, 2014, 07:14 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

19 is still really really young to be playing international cricket. shakib, tamim, mushy, nasir, mash, nazmul, rubel i tihnk all made their debut at 19 or under in which ever format they first played. mominul was 20 or was he 21? still really young. razzak i think was about 21, sohag if you want to include him i think was 20. sure a lot of the young ones failed, but most if not all of the successful ones started at around 20 or younger on the international scene. considering they are the leading players of the team now and well, none of the ones who made their debut at an older age are part of what we'd consider the core right now (maybe razzak in ODIs), it's quite interesting.
Old February 11, 2014, 12:42 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

How often do they play U-19 World Cup? I remember we played one not too long ago in Aus where Anamul became the highest run scorer. It didn't seem like 4 years ago.