facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 3, 2005, 09:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv
Default Which selector gets credit for selecting _____ in the national team

Rajin Saleh: I know Faruq gets 100% credit. When nobody thought anything of him Faruq stood by him.

Bashar: I remember he was almost left out of the 1st test team and a lot of politics went behind the scene to get him in. Any one remembers?

Mashrafee: I think Andy Roberts was the turning point. What else?

Enamul Jr. - I think McInnis really pushed for him.

Mushfiqur Rahim: McInnes again. Who else?

Golla: I think Shekh Mujibur Rahman when he was the prime Minister ordered his inclusion in 1974.

Another side of this: Who kept Rafiq out of the Test team for so long. Enamul Sr. was no competition by himself.

Who else were the architect visionaries of the foundation.

Old May 3, 2005, 09:26 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Nannu's inclusion during the WC1999. he was left out and all the magazines started writing against it. he want in and came out with a bang.

interesting things is, i've seen at least 5 magazine/newspaper/sport writer claiming that they were the first to start the campaign!

who was the first, who knows.
Old May 3, 2005, 09:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

>> Rajin Saleh: I know Faruq gets 100% credit. When nobody thought anything of him Faruq stood by him.

Rajin was the 12th man of the inaugural test. against India. So besides Faruqe, other people of cricket circle was aware of his talent. It is true Faruque brings him back.

Basher : BD media

Enamul jr : Has not he played his first test (agaist England) before coach McInnes started working with BCB?
Old May 3, 2005, 09:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Golla: I think Shekh Mujibur Rahman when he was the prime Minister ordered his inclusion in 1974.
how about chacha?
Old May 3, 2005, 09:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Quote:
Originally posted by oracle
Quote:
how about chacha?
Forgot that one. He was ordered in by Julfikar Ali Bhutto.
Old May 3, 2005, 10:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by pagol-chagol
Quote:
Originally posted by oracle
Quote:
how about chacha?
Forgot that one. He was ordered in by Julfikar Ali Bhutto.
I thought it was Mohammed Ali Jinnah!

Anyway, sports_fan_bd is right, Enamul did play his first test against England before the days of McInnes.
Old May 3, 2005, 10:23 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Hmm... too many speculations from our part here.

We don't even know who played the keyrole in selection during different periods of our cricket history.. we are only guessing. Both the Selector's pannel and the selection procedure/criteria has changed time to time throughout the course of our pre-ODI Status, during ODI status+pre-test-status & then in our Test-Status era. Selection tream has grown stronger & professional throughout time... wheras after our test status, I think the value of Coach+Captain's opinion has gained more weight.

It wouldn't be fair to guess any specific person to be responsible for selection of any player and then start to criticize/praise him... because probably always, a group of selectors have been doing the job. Our very own 'Selection methods by the fans(us)' may not match with that of the BCB itself... hence we may even totally disagree with the board over the selection/rejection of any player.

Having said all that.. I think in this era of 'High profile Professional Cricket Coaches'... the coach always playes a big part... even maybe his opinion holds 50% of the value and all the other selectors+Captain pay remaining 50% of the votes.
Old May 3, 2005, 10:29 AM
Cricket Legend

I read somewhere that Australian coach Buchanan does not have much say in selection.

What is your guess on "who was responsible for selecting Rafiqul Islam?"
Old May 3, 2005, 12:07 PM
Cricket Legend

haida abar keda?
Old May 3, 2005, 01:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by sports_fan_bd
What is your guess on "who was responsible for selecting Rafiqul Islam?"
Faruq (just a guess). He has his weakness for his City Club team mates.
Old May 3, 2005, 02:07 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

i cant help but bring in the topic of Shahriar yet again.... WHO DARED TO LEAVE HIM OUT OF THE TEAM ? I am scared to say that it was solely Faruk's responsibility, and therefore, I put all the blames on him without any hesitation. The biggest conspiracy theory in BCB...
Old May 3, 2005, 02:08 PM

I might add the name of late Raman Lamba here. He probably is the guy behind today's world best SLA, mohammad Rafique.

as we all know rafique used to be pacer at the early stage of his career. lamba saw something in him, who knows what and asked him to try to bowl spin.

... and the rest is history.

btw, i'm interested in knowing who is the "main" architech behind shanto's selection during the india tour?
Old May 3, 2005, 02:09 PM
Cricket Legend

i will congratulate faruq if i know that he is the one who left out rokon. and i am sure many will do that too.
Old May 3, 2005, 02:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith

btw, i'm interested in knowing who is the "main" architech behind shanto's selection during the india tour?
i dont think u will or we will ever know that. because i dont think shanto was chosen because of his performance but something else which is in the darkness. and we dont have that eye to see what happened in the darkness. because we dont have night vision glasses.
Old May 3, 2005, 03:41 PM
First Class Cricketer

I take a crack:

Rajin Saleh: I know Faruq gets 100% credit. When nobody thought anything of him Faruq stood by him.
** was in the first test squad.. was known as a tough customer and good fielder.. but you are right was picked again quite suddenly for the pakistan tour.. Faruque played with him in same club.

Bashar: I remember he was almost left out of the 1st test team and a lot of politics went behind the scene to get him in. Any one remembers?
** was always a strokeful player but was well under the shadow of the big 3 (Bulbul, Akram, Nannu) and with Atahar, jahangir, masum, novel around.. Bashar was never in.. big break come under GReenidge right after the ICC championship.. and played a blinder in that one day match against Zimbo in Zimbo.. believe it or not we were in a great shape chasing a mammoth when he and akram was in..

Mashrafee: I think Andy Roberts was the turning point. What else?
** well before that, in an under 16 or 19 match against some minnows he hammerd a 7 ball 30 in the innings closure .. one felt someone has arrived..

Enamul Jr. - I think McInnis really pushed for him.

Mushfiqur Rahim: McInnes again. Who else?

** very hard working i saw him many times spending days after days in BUET ground.. came to limelight after he played an uncharacteristic blazing innings against pakistan under 19 side.. in aloosing cause though.. Moin khana was Pak captain.. and Chacha was bangladeshi captain.. so u can understand that is million years ago..

Another side of this: Who kept Rafiq out of the Test team for so long. Enamul Sr. was no competition by himself.
** it was Rafique who played in the first test, these two played in many matches together.. since rafique's inclusion during the SAF cricket in 93. Moni was areguler at that time and was the nucleus of the team,, quickfire scores at seven, used to bowl the death overs and terrific fielder.. only left hander.. when we started playi test, both were more or less toothless... rafique some got something during the south africa series.. and rest is history i guess.. I have seen him as a tailender adn seamer playing for Biman.. once he turned into a spinner he always had the arm ball.. so wonder what that special thing was..

Who else were the architect visionaries of the foundation. [/quote]
Old May 3, 2005, 03:47 PM
First Class Cricketer

[quote]Originally posted by AgentSmith
I might add the name of late Raman Lamba here. He probably is the guy behind today's world best SLA, mohammad Rafique.

as we all know rafique used to be pacer at the early stage of his career. lamba saw something in him, who knows what and asked him to try to bowl spin.

... and the rest is history.

** agent bhai,

I am postive it was Wasim Hyder, a fellow paki allrounder ( not Lamba) . wasim hyder was in the world cup winning side of pakistan.. along with Iqbal Sikandar.. Hyder came to play for Biman..

Even as a tailender Rafique''s batting was useful.. in 88/89 season i was amazed to see that he had the tendency to hit over offside.. ( in the icc final he had some amazing hits over cover..) a very difficult thing at that point.. Biman has shanu at 4, moni at 6 and Suru at 7 ..so rafique was unknown and a tailender..
Old May 3, 2005, 04:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by FaltuRidwanBhai
haida abar keda?
^

Here is his profile
Old May 3, 2005, 06:25 PM
Cricket Legend

humm dekhlam,
kintu keno jani mone portesena. tao abar rajshahir player. so amar mone thakar kotha. ki ar kora.
Old May 4, 2005, 12:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by FaltuRidwanBhai
humm dekhlam,
kintu keno jani mone portesena. tao abar rajshahir player. so amar mone thakar kotha. ki ar kora.
Are you from Rajshahi?
Old May 4, 2005, 01:21 AM
Cricket Legend

nah rajshahi na. uttorbongo. from bogra. but uttorbongo playerder proti akta sentiment kaj kore amar. jemon pilot ke amar bhalo lage. abar shunlam mushfiq naki bograr. shune khub uttejito hoye gesilam.
Old May 4, 2005, 05:40 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Hmm.. tai to boli!
FRB'r ato tikhno roshbodh kotha theke ashlo!

Amar jibone Bogra'r onek koyjon manushke ami dekhlam... jader sobai khub e roshik... and FRB is already our populer old chap out here!

Apnader delicate sense of humor er rohoshyo ta ki vai?
Old May 4, 2005, 09:24 AM

I think the secret is "shat mathar more". everyone there does not know which way to go and gets lost. others start laughing about it. and that laughter never stops.
Old May 4, 2005, 01:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
I think the secret is "shat mathar more". everyone there does not know which way to go and gets lost. others start laughing about it. and that laughter never stops.
jaihok,
shai bikkhato shat mathar mor. shekhane gele kintu asholai kichuta ghur pak khete hoi. tar upor abar shaikhane aki shathe bus truck rikshaw thelagari paye hata chole manush shob kichu chole. okhane gele kintu asholai akta hasshokar poristhitir srishti hoi.

tobe amar kintu mone hoi ai rosh koshta kintu esheche amader bikkhato bograr doi theke.

dannabad kintu apnake horizon bhai.

meyeder chuler rohossha hash marka narikel tel
ar bograr lokeder rosh kosher roshhosho bograr doi

Edited on, May 4, 2005, 6:04 PM GMT, by FaltuRidwanBhai.
Old May 4, 2005, 03:11 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterBlaster
i cant help but bring in the topic of Shahriar yet again.... WHO DARED TO LEAVE HIM OUT OF THE TEAM ? I am scared to say that it was solely Faruk's responsibility, and therefore, I put all the blames on him without any hesitation. The biggest conspiracy theory in BCB...
Agree!

Edited on, May 4, 2005, 8:12 PM GMT, by mr-khan.
Old May 4, 2005, 03:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

good job by the selector or S who ever is responsible for dropping ROKON....