facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old July 31, 2011, 08:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Yet more violence against our indigenous people in the CHT

I am sorry to present this on the eve of Ramadan, but I just came across this report, and, given that our newsmedia is not particularly thorough in reporting such crimes, thought it worth bringing to your attention.

I am Bangladeshi, and a Bangalee/Bengali, but reports like this about other Bengalis killing and raping our indigenous citizens sickens me. This is what the Pakistani army acted like in 1971 -- are we no better than them?

I generally provide links to the source article instead of citing it completely, but in this case, as Zeeshan pointed out below, the images are quite graphic. So I am quoting the article in its entirety, and non-minor members can PM me to get the URL of the source.

Three Indigenous slaughtered while trying to save girl from rape

On 30 July 2011 at around 12 pm, three indigenous Marma villagers were killed as they tried to save a young Marma girl from rape by some Bengali settlers at Siletuya Paea of Rupashi union under Lama upazila (sub-district) in Bandarban district.

The identified victims are (1) Mr. Aung Sha U Marma (70 years) s/o late Mong Chabai Marma, pictured above, (2) Ms. Hla Powang Prue Marma (40 years) w/o Mongchasa Marma (pictured above) and (3) her minor son Mong Nue Ching Marma (5 years).

According to Rupashipara Union Parishad chairman Maching Marma, five Bengali settlers sneaked into a farm house in the village at noon and grabbed 15 year-old girl of Ms. Hla Powang Prue Marma working in the farm house, and attempted to rape her.

As the girl cried out for help, Aung Sha U Marma and Hla Powang Prue Marma rushed to the spot. A minor boy, Mong Nue Ching Marma followed his mother.

The attackers slaughtered all three of them, as they tried to free the girl from rape. The raped girl has been admitted to Bandarban district hospital.

How long is this going to go on for? And how long are we going to stay silent?

All photos taken on cellphone by Subrata Saha Shuvro

Last edited by shaad; July 31, 2011 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: Removal of URL because of graphic gory images

Old July 31, 2011, 08:19 PM
Cricket Savant

If I may not sound too pushy, perhaps the link can only be given upon pm or something. This is VERY graphic and will be clicked anyway by minors.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old July 31, 2011, 08:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

It just saddens me to see that the indigenous people are getting mistreated like this in their own country. Just because their different, doesn't mean they should be discriminated against. I have met some marmas and chakmas and their very nice, hard working, and honest people. All the tribal people are good for our country and we should be thankful for having these people. I just wish the government could give these people more safety.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Old July 31, 2011, 08:55 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

very very sad.

Wow, A lot of racism exist in my own country. kinda hard to believe!
Old July 31, 2011, 09:06 PM

I thought I'd humourously point out that we no longer have "indigenous" people in BD, just "ethnic minorities" as per the already passed 15th amendment to the Bangladesh constitution. However, doing so would have been in extremely bad taste at this horrifying report.

Please pm the photo and source link, shaad bhai.
Old July 31, 2011, 10:43 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

I am so very disgusted....we all humans are inherently BAD, violent, cruel, selfish and greedy, all Humans, across the board....now we do have kind and good people amongst us but this idea that we are too good and we are nothing but innocent is the biggest bullcrap. For this incident and violent attack on that young girl and the 3 murders it's not only the 3 rapists and killers who are responsible, it the whole Bangalee settlers, the whole Bangalee Jati, me, we all are responsible....Shame on my pashaan jati! Because all those settlers may or should not be torn apart but the rapists and murderers definitely shoud be apprehanded, tried and sentenced to death ASAP...But do you think any of us will ever do anything about it?....Then with this same mouth we talk about how evil the jewish settlers are in the West Bank, Gaza, they are doing this and doing that ...although at the end of the day ofcourse we don't really do jack about that or the Palestinians either...it is all just talk...We are a bunch of SHAMELESS hypocrytes!
Old July 31, 2011, 10:49 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Thanks for bringing this into our attention Shaad. I have no stomach for the link or graphics nor do I have the slightest of interest. Your words are enough...I know how barbaric and brutal our people can be, especially, towards the weak, downtrodden or minorities. I also used to work for Amnesty International.

Please suggest in what way we could practically contribute towards fighting this heinous crimes and injustice. Rights and welfare of the minorities are paramount in every sense. Many of us could relate to this first hand as minorities living in different countries. Something needs to be done from the outside...this cannot go on unchecked!
Old July 31, 2011, 11:22 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

absolutely shocking... whats happening to our country... students getting beaten to death by villagers, student getting beaten by police, killing of ethnic minorities... everyday these are front page news
home minister must show more accountability
Old August 1, 2011, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
absolutely shocking... whats happening to our country... students getting beaten to death by villagers, student getting beaten by police, killing of ethnic minorities... everyday these are front page news
The buck stops at the top. The CHT accords of the 90s was just a piece of paper with which we (us majority Bangalis) tricked them into believing we actually cared about their legitimate rights and grievances. We cannot be any more hypocritical after what had been done to us in 1971 - we turn around and do the same to them.
Old August 1, 2011, 12:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
If a nation has Home ministers like Mohammad Nasim, Altaf Hossain Chowdhury, Lutfur Rahman Babor and latest input Sahara Khatun for last 15 years in a row these horrible gory crimes are bound to occur in spite of nation's current mission of becoming Digitally Developed Nation by 2020. Those who have the secret information about these most important ministers of the nation can understand why their stance sometime rhymes with sinister.
Old August 1, 2011, 12:37 AM

প্রতিবাদে ঢাকাসহ বিভিন্ন স্থানে সমাবেশ

লামায় তিনজনকে হত্যার রোমহর্ষক বর্ণনা

বান্দরবান প্রতিনিধি | তারিখ: ০১-০৮-২০১১

« আগের সংবাদ পরের সংবাদ»
বান্দরবানের লামায় শিশুসহ একই পরিবারের তিনজনকে হত্যা করার কথা স্বীকার করেছেন আবু মুসা (২৬)। তিনি হত্যাকাণ্ডের বীভৎ স বর্ণনা দেন। তবে কী কারণে তিনি তাঁদের হত্যা করেছেন তা স্বীকার করেননি।
ওই তিনজনের লাশের ময়নাতদন্ত গতকাল বান্দরবান সদর হাসপাতালের মর্গে সম্পন্ন হয়েছে। পরে লাশগুলো সিলেরতুয়াপাড়ার শ্মশানে নিয়ে আসা হলে সেখানে এক হূদয়বিদারক দৃশ্যের অবতারণা হয়। সেখানে শত শত আদিবাসী-বাঙালি নিহতদের পরিবারের সদস্যদের সমবেদনা জানান।
ওই হত্যাকাণ্ডের প্রতিবাদে গতকাল ঢাকা, রাঙামাটি ও বান্দরবানে জনসংহতি সমিতি (জেএসএস), ইউনাইটেড পিপলস ডেমোক্রেটিক ফ্রন্ট (ইউপিডিএফ), পাহাড়ি ছাত্র পরিষদ পৃথক মানববন্ধন ও সমাবেশ করেছে।
গত শনিবার লামা উপজেলা সদর থেকে ১০ কিলোমিটার দূরে সিলেরতুয়া নাইক্ষ্যংঝিড়ির আগায় জুমঘরে অংসাউ (৭০), তাঁর পুত্রবধূ হ্লামেচিং (৩৬) ও নাতি মংনুচিংকে (৫) দা দিয়ে কুপিয়ে হত্যা করেন আবু মুসা।
পুলিশ কর্মকর্তারা বলেন, লাশ উদ্ধার করার পর আবু মুসা প্রথমে হত্যার কথা অস্বীকার করেন। পরে ধর্ষণচেষ্টার শিকার কিশোরীকে হাজির করা হয়। কিশোরী আবু মুসাকে শনাক্ত করে। এ সময় জেরা করার একপর্যায়ে আবু মুসা তিনজনকে হত্যার কথা স্বীকার করেন।
পুলিশ সুপার (এসপি) কামরুল আহসান বলেন, আবু মুসা তিনজনকে হত্যার কথা স্বেচ্ছায় স্বীকার করে হত্যাকাণ্ডের বিবরণ দিয়েছেন। মুসা বলেছেন, তিনি কিশোরীকে ধর্ষণ করতে যাননি। মেয়েটিকে হাতে ধরার আগেই তিনি শিশুসহ তিনজনকে হত্যা করেন। পরে প্রকৃতির ডাকে সাড়া দেওয়ার কথা বলে মেয়েটি পালিয়ে যায়।
আবু মুসা আরও স্বীকার করেন, তিনি একটি গাছ কাটার কথা বলে দা খুঁজে নেন। একটি পাথরে দায়ে ধার দিয়ে প্রথমে কিশোরীর ৭০ বছর বয়সী দাদা অংসাউ মারমার গলায় কোপ দেন। এতে তাঁর মাথা শরীর থেকে আলাদা হয়ে যায়। এ সময় কিশোরীর মা ও পাঁচ বছরের ছোট ভাই জুমঘরে ঘুমিয়ে ছিলেন। অংসাউকে হত্যার পর দৌড়ে জুমঘরে গিয়ে কিশোরীর ঘুমন্ত মা হ্লামেচিং মারমার গলায় কোপ দেন। এতে ফিনকি দিয়ে রক্ত বের হয়। গলাকাটা মায়ের নড়াচড়ায় শিশু মংনুচিং জেগে ওঠে। আতঙ্কিত মংনুচিং মায়ের বুক থেকে সরে যাচ্ছিল। এ সময় তার পিঠে দা দিয়ে কোপ দেন আবু মুসা। তাকে দুটি কোপ দিলে শিশুটি লুটিয়ে পড়ে মারা যায়।
এসপি কামরুল আহসান বলেন, কিশোরীকে আলাদাভাবে জিজ্ঞেস করলে সেও তার চোখের সামনে ঘটে যাওয়া হত্যাকাণ্ডের প্রায় একই রকম বর্ণনা দেয়। কিশোরী ও তার পরিবারের সঙ্গে আবু মুসার কোনো পরিচয় ছিল না বলেও এসপি জানান।
তবে গতকাল সন্ধ্যা পর্যন্ত পুলিশ আবু মুসার কাছ থেকে হত্যাকাণ্ডের কারণ উদ্ঘাটন করতে পারেনি। এসপি কামরুল আহসান বলেন, আবু মুসার মানসিক কোনো সমস্যা রয়েছে বলে মনে হয়নি। তিনজন নির্দোষ মানুষকে হত্যার পর কোনো অনুশোচনা আছে কি না জানতে চাইলে তিনি (মুসা) বলেন, ‘আমাকে এখন কেউ, এমনকি স্ত্রীও ভালোভাবে নেবে না। তাই আমার শাস্তি হওয়া উচিত।’
রূপসীপাড়া ইউনিয়ন পরিষদের (ইউপি) নাইক্ষ্যংঝিড়ি এলাকার সদস্য রমজান আলী বলেন, হত্যাকাণ্ডের রহস্য উদ্ঘাটন করা যাচ্ছে না। কিশোরীর দাদা-দাদির ৫০-৬০ একর ভোগদখলীয় পাহাড়ি জমি রয়েছে। ওই জমির পাশে আবু মুসার বড় চাচার খামারবাড়ি রয়েছে। তবে তাদের সঙ্গে জমি নিয়ে বিরোধের কথা শোনা যায়নি। ওই জমি দখলের উদ্দেশ্যে প্রভাবশালী কোনো মহল আবু মুসাকে কাজে লাগিয়েছে কি না তা খতিয়ে দেখা যেতে পারে।
লামা থানার ভারপ্রাপ্ত কর্মকর্তা (ওসি) মোহাম্মদ হোসাইন ও মামলার তদন্ত কর্মকর্তা উপপরিদর্শক ইব্রাহিম খলিল বলেন, আবু মুসাকে জিজ্ঞাসাবাদের জন্য সাত দিনের রিমান্ডের আবেদন করা হয়েছে। আজ সোমবার তাঁকে বিচারিক হাকিমের আদালতে হাজির করা হবে।
নিজস্ব প্রতিবেদক, রাঙামাটি জানান, বেলা সাড়ে ১১টার দিকে জনসংহতি সমিতি সমর্থিত পাহাড়ি ছাত্র পরিষদ, হিল উইমেন্স ফেডারেশন ও মহিলা সমিতির নেতা-কর্মীরা রাঙামাটি শহরে বিক্ষোভ মিছিল বের করেন। মিছিলটি শহরের প্রধান সড়ক প্রদক্ষিণ করে। পরে জেলা প্রশাসন কার্যালয় চত্বরে প্রতিবাদ-সমাবেশ করা হয়। পাহাড়ি ছাত্র পরিষদের রাঙামাটি জেলা শাখার সভাপতি রিপেশ চাকমার সভাপতিত্বে সমাবেশে বক্তব্য দেন ছাত্র পরিষদের সাবেক সভাপতি উদয়ন বড়ুয়া, পার্বত্য চট্টগ্রাম মহিলা সমিতির কেন্দ্রীয় সাধারণ সম্পাদক সুপ্রভা চাকমা, হিল উইমেন্স ফেডারেশনের কেন্দ্রীয় সাধারণ সম্পাদক নিশি দেওয়ান প্রমুখ।
গতকাল পাহাড়ি ছাত্র পরিষদের পাঠানো এক সংবাদ বিজ্ঞপ্তিতে বলা হয়, ইউপিডিএফভুক্ত বৃহত্তর পার্বত্য চট্টগ্রাম পাহাড়ি ছাত্র পরিষদ (পিসিপি) ও হিল উইমেন্স ফেডারেশনের নেতা-কর্মীরা রাজধানীর দোয়েল চত্বর থেকে মিছিল শুরু করেন। মিছিলটি ঢাকা বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের ছাত্র শিক্ষক কেন্দ্র এলাকায় গিয়ে সমাবেশ করে। পিসিপির ঢাকা শাখার সদস্য বিনয়ন চাকমার পরিচালনায় সমাবেশে বক্তব্য দেন পিসিপি ঢাকা শাখার সহসভাপতি প্রুসিং থোয়াই মারমা ও হিল উইমেন্স ফেডারেশনের সহসভাপতি নিরুপা চাকমা।

Prothom Alo
Old August 1, 2011, 12:39 AM

Indigenous People

UN rejects govt's view

Staff Correspondent
The general segment of the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) session rejected the official position of Bangladesh government on the non-Bangalee people of the Chittagong Hill Tracts (CHT), and adopted the report of the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues.
The Bangladesh government, represented by Abul Kalam Abdul Momen, raised its concern over the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (UNPFII) going beyond its mandate in dealing with the issue of implementing the CHT Peace Accord, on the ground that there are no indigenous people in CHT.
The government also pleaded ECOSOC to delete some paragraphs of its10th session report.
But the request was not accepted following negotiations over the last three days of the weeklong session that ended on Friday in Geneva, Switzerland, said a press release of the International Council for the Indigenous Peoples of CHT (ICIP-CHT).
ECOSOC will not distinguish between indigenous and tribal groups, the release said.
ECOSOC is the parent organisation of UNPFII.
UNPFII assigned a special rapporteur, Lars-Anders Baer, who visited Bangladesh and independently undertook a study on the status of the implementation of the CHT Peace Accord 1997, and submitted a report to UNPFII during the 10th session of the forum in May this year.
In June, UNPFII called on the Bangladesh government to undertake a phased withdrawal of all temporary army camps from CHT, urged it to declare a timeframe for implementation of the CHT Peace Accord, and to establish an independent commission to inquire into human rights violations perpetrated against "indigenous peoples".
UNPFII further recommended that the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations (UNPKO) review the military personnel and units who are being sent on UN missions, to make sure no personnel or unit is taken from any that are accused by "indigenous Jumma people" of violating human rights in CHT.
At the ECOSOC session Bangladesh had to accept a "compromise" due to lacking solidarity from other 53 member-states. However the concerns of Bangladesh raised at the meeting were included as "noted" in the nature of "footnotes", the release said.
The US, Bolivia, Australia, Mexico, and Morocco welcomed the report's adoption while only China, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia provided some support to the concerns raised by Bangladesh, the release added.
The Russian Federation supported the proposed draft amendment to the resolution, and stressed the importance of careful consideration of the definition of indigenous people, and careful interpretation of the UNPFII mandate.
The US said it believes the resolution is consistent with the mandate of the UNPFII.

Daily Star
Old August 1, 2011, 12:53 AM

I dont want to see the images of victim, those words in the article is more than enough, rather want to see the suspect. True story behind this heinous crime is yet to come out, and hope BAL people does not smell political interest behind it.