facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 21, 2008, 11:12 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Well the current wiki list is a hilarious one, it has Azam Khan not Abdul Alim.

Last edited by One World; September 21, 2008 at 11:26 AM..

Old September 21, 2008, 11:20 AM
Cricket Legend

OK I remember the name who measured the height of Mt. Everest; It is Radharaman Sikder
Old September 21, 2008, 11:44 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
OK I remember the name who measured the height of Mt. Everest; It is Radharaman Sikder
Thanx thebest, do you happen to know the name of the child who saved the train collison by making a red flag?

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 21, 2008, 11:46 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Did anyone mention Kazi Anwar Hossain.
I dont care if he used to translate and copy from English novels, his "Sheba" Prokashoni is part of our Bangla culture.

Anyone who grow up in 60-early 90's, can vouch for it.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old September 21, 2008, 04:59 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
I dont care if he used to translate and copy from English novels, his "Sheba" Prokashoni is part of our Bangla culture.

Looks like we have similar taste in reading. I still read Masud Rana. In fact, I have over 300 Masud Rana in my collection (I consider it to be one of the biggest in USA )
Old September 21, 2008, 06:27 PM
Club Cricketer

Mawlana Vashani should be at the top five. How come nobody even mentioned him?
Old September 21, 2008, 06:29 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:

I don't know about him, but it would be over my dead body before I give it to Rakib Hasan who used to rip off The Three Investigators and copy and translate line by line yet front it as "chaya obolomboney" by violating copyright rights. There is nothing 'genius' about that.

No, when you translate sth. and don't give the author his credit, that's called plagiarism.

Old September 22, 2008, 01:40 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar
I don't know about him, but it would be over my dead body before I give it to Rakib Hasan who used to rip off The Three Investigators and copy and translate line by line yet front it as "chaya obolomboney" by violating copyright rights. There is nothing 'genius' about that.

No, when you translate sth. and don't give the author his credit, that's called plagiarism.
Why dont you try to translate something line by line and try to sell it to millions for over many decades.

And copyright and plagiarism ?
Try telling that to avergage Bangladeshi kids/youth who are not so fortunate enough like you to live in OC. At least Sheba Prokashoni gave millions of Bangladeshis to read amazing stories in a language that they would understand better.

Not everybody in this world speaks english you know.

Plus i dont know how old you are or how long you've been living overseas, but if you havent read Masud Rana/Tin Goenda/Western/Onubad yourself back in the days when there were no cable/internet, i think i can never make you understand what Rana and Sohana, Kishor,Musa and Robin meant to us.

Quote:
I don't know about him, but it would be over my dead body before I give it to Rakib Hasan ...............
So, it sounds more like Gopal Bhar's "100 Genius", rather than a compilation based on general concensus.

If you are only picking what you think is right, why bother asking in the first place?
Old September 22, 2008, 02:04 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Why dont you try to translate something line by line and try to sell it to millions for over many decades.
So, just because I can't do sth. and someone else can do it, the he is a a genius? By your logic, Jewel Aich is a genius or why not extend it even more, since you can't do what a hardworking rickshaw puller can do all, day his entire life, then he is a genius? Your point becomes moot right there.

Quote:
And copyright and plagiarism ?
Try telling that to avergage Bangladeshi kids/youth who are not so fortunate enough like you to live in OC. At least Sheba Prokashoni gave millions of Bangladeshis to read amazing stories in a language that they would understand better.
So it's okay to cheat? Then perhaps we can also include the entrepreneurs who became rich from crooked paths?

Quote:
Plus i dont know how old you are or how long you've been living overseas, but if you havent read Masud Rana/Tin Goenda/Western/Onubad yourself back in the days when there were no cable/internet, i think i can never make you understand what Rana and Sohana, Kishor,Musa and Robin meant to us.
I have read Tin Goenda hence my observation that it was a straight out rip off of Three Invenstigators. I know we cannot compare the geniuses in the list, but if we take the ltierary giants in our country amd see that in the same list where we have included Kazi Nazrul Islam, you want to see Rakib Hasan to be on that same level as he is? It'd be insult to him, if a plagiarer is to be included. (If it really wasn't a big issue why wouldn't he have written in the books that it's basically a translated work from overseas stories?)

Quote:
So, it sounds more like Gopal Bhar's "100 Genius", rather than a compilation based on general concensus. If you are only picking what you think is right, why bother asking in the first place?
Hence the purpose of a healthy argument. As I mentioned, if someone thinks a person should be on the list he should at least give some reasonable arguments and when that happens, why can't I fight back with my own arguments? We don't have to be kissing cousins and yes-men to argue back and forth. It sad to see that in our culture argument and dissent is considered to be a denigrating issue whereas it is the hallmark of advancement and evolution in relatively free countries.

Last edited by Zeeshan; September 22, 2008 at 02:13 PM..
Old September 23, 2008, 12:13 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
if you havent read Masud Rana/Tin Goenda/Western/Onubad yourself back in the days when there were no cable/internet, i think i can never make you understand what Rana and Sohana, Kishor,Musa and Robin meant
We are talking from two different perspective.
No point dragging along.
Old September 23, 2008, 12:16 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
Looks like we have similar taste in reading. I still read Masud Rana. In fact, I have over 300 Masud Rana in my collection (I consider it to be one of the biggest in USA )
Good to know another Masud Rana fan.
I do have a good collection, probably about 200, but certainly not to your extend.
Nostalgic times.
Old September 24, 2008, 04:10 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe

Jawed Karim shouldnt be included because business success does not require genius or innovation...just timing and execution.
Old September 25, 2008, 07:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

the four national leaders
Old September 25, 2008, 09:38 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yameen
the four national leaders
Very few political leader of any country is actually genius.

what even more odd is that you did not mention mujib but mentioned the 4 leaders (since I know one of them is your nana of some sort)
Old September 26, 2008, 07:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
what even more odd is that you did not mention mujib but mentioned the 4 leaders (since I know one of them is your nana of some sort)
I did not mention Mujib because it was already mentioned earlier in the thread.
Yes one of them was my nana
Old September 26, 2008, 08:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yameen
I did not mention Mujib because it was already mentioned earlier in the thread.
Yes one of them was my nana
Can you explain why your grandfather would be considered as genius. As Rubu mentioned very few politicians are genius .With the exception of Mahathir and Lee Kwan Yoo I do not consider any politician genius that include Mandela and Aung San Suki - grear statesmen yes; genius No.
Old September 26, 2008, 08:43 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Baba Alauddin khan
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Akbar_Khan

Bimol Roy
Salil Choudhury
Old September 26, 2008, 05:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Can you explain why your grandfather would be considered as genius. As Rubu mentioned very few politicians are genius .With the exception of Mahathir and Lee Kwan Yoo I do not consider any politician genius that include Mandela and Aung San Suki - grear statesmen yes; genius No.
The definitive nature of being a 'genius' lies within the deeds performed from ones extraordinary capabilities which exceeds the human brain.

I agree very few politicians can be termed genius however this thread appearing to be based on personal opinion, I subjectively select the Four national leaders to be of this genre. This being based on what I have read, what highly respected people have told me plus other secondary accounts.

A matter of choice and perhaps exaggerated of me to call them genius some may say but certainly leaders of an exceptional calibre they were.

To briefly outline,

My Grandfather, an exceptional alumni of the prestigous Aligarh Muslim University in India achieved a 1st class M.A in law and economics but also in the top honours roll in which he was also awarded the gold medal for.

He played an active role in opposing the rule of declaration of Urdu being the only official language in 1952 and helped fight for the recognition for Bangla as a language on behalf of the Awami Muslim League as was then called.

He and the national leaders played an instrumental role in the 6 point movement led by Sheikh Mujib to in the end pursue the indpendance of Bangladesh. He was a key organiser of the party movement during the absence of Mujib when he was arrested in 1970. He masterminded the creation of a government in exile during the Liberation war and earned him right role of Minister of Finance as soon as independance was declared and later in home affairs, eventually prime ministerial role in 75.

On reflection, one can regard him as a great leader, a fellow of extreme hardship for nation and people and whether he is a genius or not, that is entirely upto the world view. From what I gather and how he is portrayed by many I have come across, I certainly believe so.
Old October 2, 2008, 08:33 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom
Default Fazlur Rahman Khan

Did not see his name mentioned

Fazlur Rahman Khan (Bengali: ফজলুর রহমান খান Fozlur Rôhman Khan) (April 3, 1929 - March 27, 1982), born in Dhaka, Bengal (now Bangladesh), was a Bangladeshi American structural engineer. He is regarded as the "Einstein of structural engineering" and considered "the greatest structural engineer of the second half of the 20th century" for his constructions of the Sears Tower and John Hancock Center, and for his designs of structural systems that remain fundamental to all high-rise skyscrapers, including the tube structure, X-bracing and sky lobby designs.[1]

Info taken from Wiki

Old October 2, 2008, 11:17 AM
Cricket Savant

thanks mohammadc bhai, but i someone mentioned fr khan already...

and i cant believe i left agriculturalist genius Shaikh Shiraz out (he was in my notebook list before), what do you all think of him being in the list?

Old October 2, 2008, 11:51 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
thanks mohammadc bhai, but i someone mentioned fr khan already...

and i cant believe i left agriculturalist genius Shaikh Shiraz out (he was in my notebook list before), what do you all think of him being in the list?
He is a shoein for the Hall of Fame.
+++
Hall of shame anyone?
Old October 3, 2008, 08:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

The architect who design tower in US..
Old October 3, 2008, 09:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Fakruddin Baburchi - the artist of Biriyani
Old October 3, 2008, 02:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Fakruddin Baburchi - the artist of Biriyani
positive,

it's funny you mentioned it, because at first when i saw the thread "Fakhruddin's view published on Time Magazine" at first i honestly thought they were interviewing him. No joke!

Old October 5, 2008, 01:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Do one about me.Because I recieved the presidents award last year and principals list 5 time in a row.2 from 4th grade and 3 from 5th grade.1 Honor Roll from 4th grade.I still have them.